EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: There were layoffs at my company today.
Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 02-26-2009 03:58:42 PM
We've never had layoffs in the history of the company, dating back to 1902.

I was spared, but holy crap.

Steven Steve
posted 02-26-2009 04:29:48 PM
It's a brave new world, branle branlehhhhh oh ho ho
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Greenlit
posted 02-26-2009 04:33:08 PM
Foiled again.
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 02-26-2009 04:48:08 PM
And didn't Ohio's unemployment fund run out of money a month ago, requiring a loan from the Feds to stay afloat?
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Blindy.
posted 02-26-2009 05:16:40 PM
Something like that. Everyone who got laid off got a severance package of 4+(1*YearsWorked) weeks and outplacement services, which is nice.
Timpofee
Mancake
posted 02-26-2009 05:43:13 PM
How did they go about the whole layoff thing?
Big meeting then pink slips?
or was it selective based?
Talonus
Loner
posted 02-26-2009 05:54:33 PM
My company recently had layoffs as well, though we're still doing well and not in any chance of folding. Sucks, but pretty much every company is laying off at least some amount of employees.

quote:
Timpofee had this to say about Captain Planet:
How did they go about the whole layoff thing?
Big meeting then pink slips?
or was it selective based?

In our case people were individually referred to HR reps. Smaller meetings for individual groups to give status updates and calm the survivors.

Blindy.
posted 02-26-2009 06:15:35 PM
Big meeting where they announced that layoffs would happen, then the next day pulling people aside to tell them they were affected.

They went out of their way to describe the situation and explain why a layoff was neccessary, which was nice enough.

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 02-26-2009 11:48:41 PM
My company is aggressively hiring. So it's not universal.
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 02-27-2009 08:36:49 AM
Same with my wife's. They're looking to hire 200 people this year. In fact, they're working with a local community college to re-train people who've lost their jobs so they can start a new career.
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Blindy.
posted 02-27-2009 10:16:15 AM
Yeah one of our sister companies that makes glass enamel is doing OK.

Maybe because their stuff is used heavily for beer and liquor bottles.

Alidane
Urinary Tract Infection
posted 02-27-2009 11:37:19 AM
My company sent me on a recruiting trip last month for 'terns and fresh mea-I mean, recent graduates.

However, getting people hired seems a lot harder than it was a year ago (which is when I came on. Woo for getting in under the gun).

Sucks about the layoffs, though.

Monica
I've got an owie on my head :(
posted 02-27-2009 04:40:13 PM
quote:
Karnaj enlisted the help of an infinite number of monkeys to write:
Same with my wife's. They're looking to hire 200 people this year. In fact, they're working with a local community college to re-train people who've lost their jobs so they can start a new career.

What does your wife do, again? Not that I'd be in any way qualified, I'm just curious.

Skaw
posted 02-27-2009 08:10:10 PM
quote:
Monica enlisted the help of an infinite number of monkeys to write:
What does your wife do, again? Not that I'd be in any way qualified, I'm just curious.

I think she's in pharmaceuticals, if I'm remembering my EC Wives correctly.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 02-27-2009 09:26:23 PM
gayoffs
Talonus
Loner
posted 02-28-2009 09:04:00 AM
quote:
Naimah wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
My company is aggressively hiring. So it's not universal.

Hiring doesn't mean safety necessarily. My company still has a couple hundred open position requests open in North America, plus more in other countries. The layoffs were a chance to cut the fat; groups generally closed open requests rather than fire people.

Number 1 Poster
posted 02-28-2009 09:33:45 AM
Parcelan was laid off from his job as smug bastard.
Razor
posted 03-04-2009 12:21:02 AM
CSU system is undergoing a hiring freeze at some campuses. We're lucky to see a budget, even though we won't know what we have to spend until maybe a week or two now if we are lucky. At least, in another 14 days, I'll have full permanent status.
Astronomy is a passion...
Engineering is a love...
My job isn't a job, it's my career, and I love every minute of it: Observatory Superintendent
Kermitov 2
Pancake
posted 03-04-2009 02:31:57 AM
quote:
Everyone wondered WTF when Razor wrote:
CSU system is undergoing a hiring freeze at some campuses. We're lucky to see a budget, even though we won't know what we have to spend until maybe a week or two now if we are lucky. At least, in another 14 days, I'll have full permanent status.

I thought they were just doing a "You teach and we'll forget to pay you" program.

At least that's what happened to me.

I think it's all straightened out now though.

Doomjudge
Pancake
posted 03-05-2009 09:40:47 AM
My Company has 1200 positions open in Canada alone...and yeah, we need em. We're spread entirely too thin.
Number 1 Poster
posted 03-05-2009 09:52:49 AM
quote:
Doomjudge attempted to be funny by writing:
My Company has 1200 positions open in Canada alone...and yeah, we need em. We're spread entirely too thin.

You work at Tim Hortons?

Blindy.
posted 03-06-2009 06:00:27 PM
Well this is cool- the trailer for the show my wife worked on http://tinyurl.com/bu2dll
Mr. Parcelan
posted 03-06-2009 07:52:46 PM
is your wife in it
Blindy.
posted 03-07-2009 09:31:21 AM
She was the release coordinator, but they did use her for an extra in a few scenes.

It's just the first big project she's wrapped up since she started doing this hollywood stuff so I'm proud of her.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 03-07-2009 09:49:50 AM
is

is she

exposed?

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: