EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Tax Return Thread
Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 02-17-2009 07:57:50 PM
Wooooo 4,200 bux!!! Time to pay off some debt baby!

How did you guys do?

Greenlit
posted 02-17-2009 08:19:33 PM
$301
Mr. Parcelan
posted 02-17-2009 08:31:50 PM
quote:
Blindy. was listening to Cher while typing:
Wooooo 4,200 bux!!! Time to pay off some debt baby!

How did you guys do?

what the fuck do i pay you for

Mightion Defensor
posted 02-17-2009 09:00:13 PM
I owed the Feds money, but I'm getting money back from the state, and it comes out to about sixty bucks I'm getting back.
Monica
I've got an owie on my head :(
posted 02-18-2009 12:00:09 AM
$1100 fed
i think like $30 state
Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 02-18-2009 05:14:05 AM
$1600
Number 1 Poster
posted 02-18-2009 06:20:26 AM
You grandmas. I haven't done it yet but the most I've gotten was $300.
Blindy.
posted 02-18-2009 09:48:05 AM
I got married and bought a house last year and didn't update my withholding status yet- I should probably do that.
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 02-18-2009 01:45:14 PM
Uh, large tax returns are a bad thing. It means you're giving the government an interest-free loan. It's best to adjust your withholding so that you pay a bit at the end of the year.
To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Blindy.
posted 02-18-2009 02:16:21 PM
Yep, that's what I intend to do.
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 02-18-2009 02:55:38 PM
Good plan. Some folks sounded like it was some kind of bonus instead of the government finally giving you back your own money.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 02-18-2009 03:55:50 PM
I'll probably get a little back this year because of buying a house. Unfortunately, my wife's company exercised her stock options for her, so that may bite into the return somewhat. Otherwise, we may opt for the $7500 first-time homebuyer dealy that you can get. Get ourselves central air.
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Blindy.
posted 02-18-2009 04:28:13 PM
I missed the $7,500 thingy by 15 days.

Thank god I had a real estate agent that was supposed to know about these kinds of things and get me to not miss them.

Kaglaaz How'ler
Pancake
posted 02-18-2009 08:46:32 PM
With the first time homebuyer "credit" I'll be getting over $11k in fed. But the "credit" is just a 15 year zero interest loan that you have to start paying back $500 a year. $1000 from the state.

New windows going in upstairs for the house so we can actually get out if there's a fire. Maybe do the roof too.

http://www.bloodfin.net
Arttemis
Not Squire... but a guitar!
posted 02-18-2009 11:28:22 PM
quote:
Kaglaaz How'ler impressed everyone with:
With the first time homebuyer "credit" I'll be getting over $11k in fed. But the "credit" is just a 15 year zero interest loan that you have to start paying back $500 a year. $1000 from the state.

New windows going in upstairs for the house so we can actually get out if there's a fire. Maybe do the roof too.

Actually, take a look at the stimulus bill that was just passed. I don't know what the final draft ended up being, but a couple weeks ago there were provisions stating that the first time homebuyer credit would not have to be repaid.

EDIT: Though we might be hosed, since we bought before 2009.

Arttemis fucked around with this message on 02-18-2009 at 11:32 PM.

Razor
posted 02-22-2009 03:24:58 PM
Federal 1400
State 360 (as far as I know, I'll be not getting this, stupid IOUs, would have had nearly 800 had I been allowed the renters credit)
Astronomy is a passion...
Engineering is a love...
My job isn't a job, it's my career, and I love every minute of it: Observatory Superintendent
Kermitov 2
Pancake
posted 02-22-2009 03:39:58 PM
did mine in January, figured out that I owe 600$ and decided that April is underrated as a month.
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 03-03-2009 09:49:32 AM
Finally finished up; we'll be getting 7000 back from the feds and paying 100 to the state. In all, about what I expected. Can't wait for that central air. Actually, I'll be happy with spring arriving.
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Number 1 Poster
posted 03-03-2009 10:10:04 AM
quote:
Everyone wondered WTF when Karnaj wrote:
Finally finished up; we'll be getting 7000 back from the feds and paying 100 to the state. In all, about what I expected. Can't wait for that central air. Actually, I'll be happy with spring arriving.

Give me money

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 03-03-2009 10:35:46 AM
Install central air in my house, and I'll happily give you money.

Beer.

Number 1 Poster
posted 03-03-2009 10:44:29 AM
The company who is going to install your central air owes me 7000. Just pay it to me.
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 03-03-2009 03:06:33 PM
quote:
Quoth Karnaj:

Dude, claim more exemptions.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 03-03-2009 04:16:14 PM
quote:
Aw, geez, I have Bloodsage all over myself!
Dude, claim more exemptions.

No, we took the $7,500 first-time homebuyer credit. Without it, we would've owed about $500 due to an RSU sale of my wife's stock options, and without that, we were on track for about a $200 federal refund or something similarly small.

Beer.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 03-04-2009 03:15:54 PM
quote:
Channeling the spirit of Sherlock Holmes, Karnaj absently fondled Watson and proclaimed:
No, we took the $7,500 first-time homebuyer credit. Without it, we would've owed about $500 due to an RSU sale of my wife's stock options, and without that, we were on track for about a $200 federal refund or something similarly small.

Sounds smart, then. What's up with the $7000? Do you have to be truly first-timers, or is there a time period that resets your clock? Is it just this year, or more of a permanent thing?

I may be heading back CONUS in a couple of years, and that'd be a sweat deal if it was still around.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 03-04-2009 03:53:28 PM
quote:
Aw, geez, I have Bloodsage all over myself!
Sounds smart, then. What's up with the $7000? Do you have to be truly first-timers, or is there a time period that resets your clock? Is it just this year, or more of a permanent thing?

I may be heading back CONUS in a couple of years, and that'd be a sweat deal if it was still around.

Actually, the pot has been sweetened because of the recession. If you're a first-time homebuyer this year, you get an $8500 credit that you don't have to pay back. We have to pay $500 annually starting on our 2010 return...but we'll have enough mortgage interest to deduct that we really won't even miss the money. I imagine that since the recession's going to be around for a while, the incentive should remain for 2010 and maybe 2011. Right now, as I understand it, you have a truly be a first-time homebuyer, but who knows what the future will hold?

Beer.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: