EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: House pases economic stimulus bill with zero GOP support.
Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 01-29-2009 12:27:40 PM
Idiot house democrats fill it to the brim with porkbarrel riders that have little-to-nothing to do with the economy. Hopefully the senate gives it a once over. Obama is expressing regret in the bill's current status so it would be awesome for him to threaten a veto if they don't clean it up a bit.

Is there anything the house can't fuck up?

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 01-29-2009 12:37:16 PM
The House Republicans were being very reasonable about the vote yesterday. I'm disappointed.
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 01-29-2009 12:46:16 PM
There's a reason we re-elect the whole lot every two years. Anyway, I think this is a calculated gamble on the part of Republicans. They think this economic stimulus bill, in whatever its final form, will fail. This will give the party a good leg up in the 2010 elections. In addition, the net losses in the house over the last four years have been mainly moderate Republicans, who've been replaced with moderate Democrats. The remaining House Republicans, are, by and large, from solidly red districts, so even if they're wrong on this, they probably won't be ousted.
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 01-29-2009 01:14:31 PM
I TOLD YOU THIS WOULD HAPPEN

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 01-29-2009 06:30:00 PM
Obama is going to spend more in one month then Bush did in four years on the Iraq war.
Nina
posted 01-29-2009 08:18:25 PM
quote:
Naimah had this to say about Knight Rider:
Obama is going to spend more in one month then Bush did in four years on the Iraq war.

Yes, let's conveniently overlook that Bush outspent himself by signing the TARP.

Noxhil2
Pancake
posted 01-29-2009 08:49:09 PM
This is pretty smart by the GOP. Any stimulus bill will "fail" in that it won't cause the economy to recover. They should fight everything tooth and nail and then gloat about how they are right at the end. Unfortunately the party has been long consumed by the allure of power rather than actually helping the country.
Steven Steve
posted 01-29-2009 10:05:45 PM
BUT I THOUGHT OBAMA WAS GOING TO IMPROVE COOPERATION BETWEEN PARTY LINES

I DON'T UNDERSTAND

"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 01-29-2009 10:28:19 PM
quote:
This one time, at Nina camp:
Yes, let's conveniently overlook that Bush outspent himself by signing the TARP.

The TARP was voted for by Democrats. The Iraq War was bitched about incessantly by Democrats. The Iraq War has had some measure of success. The TARP... not so much.

Tyewa Dawnsister
In Poverty
posted 01-30-2009 12:48:29 AM
quote:
Naimah attempted to be funny by writing:
The TARP was voted for by Democrats. The Iraq War was bitched about incessantly by Democrats. The Iraq War has had some measure of success. The TARP... not so much.

Wow I didn't hear about the Democrats overriding a Presidential Veto on TARP.

"And God said: 'Let there be Satan, so people don't blame everything on me. And let there be lawyers, so people don't blame everything on Satan." - George Burns
Naimah
In a Fire
posted 01-30-2009 01:23:27 AM
I'm not saying TARP was right. It was a waste of money. And I'm not saying Bush was good. He was the bottom end of mediocre at best. I'm saying that this bill is pork in its purist form and that Democrats are hypocrites. If you can't see how this bill is a bad idea and how it is completly backwards from the 'fiscal discipline' that Dems have been demanding for the last 8 years then you are so far up Baracks ass that there is no point in talking to you anymore.

It's pork. It isn't what they say it is. It isn't going to pull us out of the recession any faster. Republicans annoying you for the last 8 years doesn't justify wasting 7% of our GDP.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 01-30-2009 01:34:39 AM
Obama's rhetoric makes it sound like most of the bill focuses on short term infrastructure projects. This is not the case.

The bill keeps expanding with various wishlist nonsense that these lawmakers have wanted for years. The whole thing needs to be shot down in the Senate or straight up vetoed by the President and rethought from the ground up

Noxhil2
Pancake
posted 01-30-2009 01:45:00 AM
It likely won't make it out of the Senate. Unless both parties decide to "cooperate" and load it with pork both sides can be proud of.
Vernaltemptress
Withered and Alone
posted 01-30-2009 04:55:39 AM
quote:
How.... Blindy..... uughhhhhh:
Idiot house democrats fill it to the brim with porkbarrel riders that have little-to-nothing to do with the economy. Hopefully the senate gives it a once over. Obama is expressing regret in the bill's current status so it would be awesome for him to threaten a veto if they don't clean it up a bit.

Is there anything the house can't fuck up?

A. It's not the Democrats who came up with this bill. This was Obama's Plan all along and the Democrats are buying into it.

B. The only thing Obama regrets is not getting the GOP on board. But just watch how he spins this point. He'll say the GOP isn't being bipartisan, but it's Obama that not willing to discuss the issues.

C. This bill should not be a surprise to anyone who voted for Obama. The Wall Street Journal discussed his proposal back on October 24, 2008.

D. The big question is how the f*ck are we paying for this? Do you expect Social Security to be available when you retire? How will that be paid for? What will happen to our tax rates in the future? Obama already wants to allow the current tax cuts to expire or try to cancel them sooner? Will we soon see tax rates of up to 40% as in European countries?

E. Read the details of the647 page plan.

Obamanomics: spend, tax, and borrow.
Zair
The Imp
posted 01-30-2009 05:58:31 AM
quote:
Vernaltemptress's account was hax0red to write:

D. The big question is how the f*ck are we paying for this?[/URL]

You can say fuck here.

As the economy gets worse and worse, it will probably be said a lot.

Blindy.
posted 01-30-2009 07:57:33 AM
I'm OK with infrastructure spending. It's money that goes into local companies that ends up back in American's pockets, and it's sorely needed- we've got shitty roads and bridges and around here we see school levy after school levy to build/expand on school buildings.

I'm not ok with the dollars for health care and abortion and stupid shit like that, that wasn't part of the original plan and was added by dumb house democrats.

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 01-30-2009 09:06:04 AM
quote:
Blindy. had this to say about Pirotess:
I'm OK with infrastructure spending. It's money that goes into local companies that ends up back in American's pockets, and it's sorely needed- we've got shitty roads and bridges and around here we see school levy after school levy to build/expand on school buildings.

I'm not ok with the dollars for health care and abortion and stupid shit like that, that wasn't part of the original plan and was added by dumb house democrats.

This bill is less than 10% infrastructure spending.

The federal government is not for 'around here.' It's for those everywhere problems. If your community has a problem with schools, roads, etc. you should find the appropriate tax rate to repair them.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 01-30-2009 09:48:38 AM
quote:
Aw, geez, I have Naimah all over myself!
The federal government is not for 'around here.' It's for those everywhere problems. If your community has a problem with schools, roads, etc. you should find the appropriate tax rate to repair them.

Well, it's a good thing that the infrastructure is crumbling everywhere. The only areas in which it's improved since 2000 the electrical grid, and I think water treatment. Most other aspects of a country's infrastructure have stagnated or gotten worse.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Blindy.
posted 01-30-2009 01:00:08 PM
quote:
While you read this, I'm gonna go make out with Naimah's mom:
This bill is less than 10% infrastructure spending.

Of course because local governments are much more effective at taking bribes.

My fucking town can't even figure out what to do with a prime block worth of riverfront real estate right between our football and baseball stadiums. I'd rather have the state or federal people bidding on plans to fix our highways before we end up being the next Minneapolis- we already had one close call last year when a semi hit an improperly maintained highway support column and shut down 275/74 for 6 months.

I mean LOOK AT THIS SHIT (turn right).

It's been like this for FIVE FUCKING YEARS.

Blindy. fucked around with this message on 01-30-2009 at 01:06 PM.

Blindy.
posted 01-30-2009 01:22:59 PM
But that's OK because the freedom center museum who we gave land to after the race riots in 2000, and has never turned a profit or even improved it's quarter to quarter losses and is being kept alive entirely on city funds is graciously offering to sell Cincinnati a portion of the giant fucking lawn it's got between it and the river for extra development, you know, the ground it was supposed to turn into a parking lot for the stadiums and never did? Which lets the three companies that own all the parking downtown charge $40 for parking and keeps people out of downtown as a night-life destination?

Blindy. fucked around with this message on 01-30-2009 at 01:25 PM.

Blindy.
posted 01-30-2009 01:23:20 PM
But yeah I want the people who let all this shit happen making the decisions.
Naimah
In a Fire
posted 01-30-2009 01:38:40 PM
quote:
A sleep deprived Karnaj stammered:
Well, it's a good thing that the infrastructure is crumbling everywhere. The only areas in which it's improved since 2000 the electrical grid, and I think water treatment. Most other aspects of a country's infrastructure have stagnated or gotten worse.

Texas doesn't have that issue. Why? Probably because we actually spend money on our roads. Dallas is also expanding its rail system. Our state and local governments have done a pretty good job in recent history. Just because your local governments suck doesn't mean we should be saddled with your representatives bungling things in the federal government.

Interstates are fine. Yay, interstates. International airports? Sure, why not sounds federally enough for me. Build those all you want. Local infrastructure should be paid with local funds from local governments. Set up a loan system for municipalities to get capital to lay down infrastructure through the fed or something. But state representatives should not be voting on funding stop signs in Hoboken.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 01-30-2009 01:44:24 PM
Oh my God.

Oh my God in heaven, could it be?

It's...it's been so long...so long...I mean, ever since Pesco and Faelynn stopped coming 'round and...

Do I hope? Do I dare? Do I dare hope? Is it perhaps some fretful dream, a fever from the soulful past returned to haunt me? I...I am afraid to find out, yet I must...

quote:
Naimah has sealed the pact
Texas doesn't have that issue.

YEEEEHAW! TEXAS! FUCK YEAH! FUCK Y'ALL!

Captain Tarquinn
Don't Ask
posted 01-30-2009 01:50:07 PM
When I grow up, I want to be like Texas.
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."
Blindy.
posted 01-30-2009 02:08:55 PM
True story, Texas is the only red state that actually pays more in taxes than it receives in federal funding. Every other red state is basically on federal welfare, and gets more from the blue states than they pay.
Suddar
posted 01-30-2009 02:24:05 PM
This all makes me very sad. I just want America to kick ass again.

On a Texas, Fuck Yeah! note, it's a damn good thing Texas has such good roads, because with SAT scores like these you're going to have a lot of mail men and delivery drivers. And there will be lots of freshly paved roads to sleep on if you can't find a job. Everybody wins, really.

Suddar fucked around with this message on 01-30-2009 at 02:36 PM.

Skaw
posted 01-30-2009 04:57:08 PM
quote:
Suddar got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:

On a Texas, Fuck Yeah! note, it's a damn good thing Texas has such good roads, because with SAT scores like these you're going to have a lot of mail men and delivery drivers. And there will be lots of freshly paved roads to sleep on if you can't find a job. Everybody wins, really.

Don't forget expanded railways so you can sleep in box and passenger cars. MOBILE APARTMENTS FUCK YEAH

Monica
I've got an owie on my head :(
posted 01-31-2009 03:17:38 AM
quote:
Check out the big brain on Suddar!

One of the sad things about the numbers on that site is that Oklahoma is something like 47th or 48th for teacher salary. It's extremely common here for people to get their teaching certificates or whatever and then move to Texas or basically anywhere else to actually teach.

Akiraiu Zenko
Is actually a giddy schoolgirl
posted 01-31-2009 03:50:17 AM
quote:
Monica had this to say about Pirotess:
One of the sad things about the numbers on that site is that Oklahoma is something like 47th or 48th for teacher salary. It's extremely common here for people to get their teaching certificates or whatever and then move to Texas or basically anywhere else to actually teach.

Yep. This place really, really sucks.

The artist formerly known as Zephyer Kyuukaze.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: