EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: I've been infected.
Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 01-13-2009 08:18:14 PM
No, not aids.

My computer has a virus apparently called win32.zafi.b
Not entirely sure how it got on here since I'm pretty careful with the emails and sites I visit; nonetheless it's on here, throwing out virus alerts and code red warnings that I've got to buy their anti-virus software, etc.

This somehow got past my constantly-updated version of Computer Associates' E-Trust Antivirus software, which then failed to dectect/purge it afterwards.
I got a tip from other sites that Spybot: Search & Destroy was a good way to remove it, and at the moment it's scanning my hard drives; so we'll see if that works. In the mean time, does anyone have any other recommendations for a free anti-virus software program in case Spybot fails?

My inner child is bigger than my outer adult.
Maradon!
posted 01-13-2009 08:28:32 PM
clamwin, free on-demand scanner (no active scanning), scaled down from an enterprise level linux scanner.

avg used to be good but now it's almost as bad as norton with all the crap it installs.

Maradon!
posted 01-13-2009 08:30:32 PM
And remember to scan in safe mode, not live mode.

Shut off the engine before you change the oil.

Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 01-13-2009 08:48:36 PM
I'd recommend using Avast! they tend to keep me safe.
Mooj
Scorned Fanboy
posted 01-15-2009 03:13:00 AM
quote:
Maradon!'s fortune cookie read:
clamwin, free on-demand scanner (no active scanning), scaled down from an enterprise level linux scanner.

avg used to be good but now it's almost as bad as norton with all the crap it installs.

What the fuck?

Explain please, I'm gonna be putting together a new comp soon, and I really don't wanna shove a whole bunch of shit into my system because I thought I was getting a good antivirus setup...

Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 01-15-2009 10:05:17 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, I tried Clamwin, Avast!, and Spybot while in safe mode, after turning off System Restore and going into safe mode. Avast! found 2 files and deleted them, but now when I start up my computer it seems fine until I try to hit internet explorer, Firefox, or WoW at which point it freezes. Any tips? Or do I still have a virus?

My inner child is bigger than my outer adult.
nem-x
posted 01-15-2009 10:16:49 PM
Naimah
In a Fire
posted 01-15-2009 10:17:11 PM
The best antivirus is to not leave ports open for no reason and don't click on stupid shit. That and use Vista as not an admin.
Damnati
Filthy
posted 01-17-2009 12:46:43 AM
I'd recommend Kaspersky Internet Security rather than Avast!. It does the job of Spybot in addition to anti-virus and is pretty light to boot.
Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: