EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Buildin' a PC
Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 01-05-2009 10:44:12 AM
So my desktop PC is having issues. It's randomly locking up during games and videos. Sometimes there's a blue screen, usually the system just hardlocks with looping sound.

I've replaced the memory and the sound card, am going to try replacing the video card today, but I have a sneaking suspicion (Based on the BSOD's having several various errors and DLL files for multiple different hardware devices being reported as the cause) that the problem is the motherboard or CPU.

Therefor, I want to get a new motherboard and CPU. I'm currently running a Core2Duo 2.66Ghz on an Asus P5N-E SLi motherboard. Here's my criteria for the replacements :

I'm thinking that the replacement should be a Quad Core CPU. I've already bought two new sticks of DDR2 800 (4GB so I'll be getting a 64-bit OS as well) so I'd like to continue using them if possible. I'm getting two 9800 GTX video cards, so SLi is a must.

Can anyone recommend a motherboard and CPU that would work well, given those criteria?

* As for the problems with the BSOD's, currently I've received BSOD errors that state problems with the DLL for nv4Disp, my Creative sound card (Removing the card did nothing), my nForce network driver, and hdiparse.sys whatever that is. I've received IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA, and BAD_POOL_HEADER . But most of the time the system just hardlocks. I've replaced (and increased) the RAM, removed the creative card and used onboard instead, reinstalled WinXP, installed Windows Vista, and installed on a brand new hard drive. Am I correct in thinking the MB/CPU is the culprit?

Khyron fucked around with this message on 01-05-2009 at 10:50 AM.

nem-x
posted 01-05-2009 10:49:33 AM
Khyron
posted 01-05-2009 10:52:16 AM
quote:
nem-x wrote this stupid crap:
overheat

I thought that at first as well, but I haven't been able to isolate any heat issues. The motherboard occasionally goes as high as 53, but I've had it freeze while the temperature was still in the 45ish area. The CPU never goes above 45. It may be the GPU that's overheating on my current graphics card, but then would that explain the BSOD errors?

Alidane
Urinary Tract Infection
posted 01-06-2009 09:38:35 PM
Could be MB... if you have another graphics card laying around, I'd try that before gutting everything, but it's not a bad reason to upgrade.

Honestly, if I were you, I'd buy a Core i7-based system. Even if you have to buy new RAM. Most of the Penryn-class processors have been on the market for nearly a year by now, and the Core i7's are pretty reasonably priced considering they've only been available for a month or two.

I've heard lots of bad things about SLI--shitty software support, and you'll need a retardedly huge power supply to be stable. Use the money you'd spend on that second card to buy the DDR3 you'll need.

If you insist on your criteria, buy whatever P45-based board supports SLI and a Yorkfield. Hell, you probably don't even need the CPU--the older Conroes use the same fucking socket anyway. You'll be pissed at yourself in about six months, though.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 01-07-2009 06:08:54 AM
SLI is something for retarded people with more money than sense, anyway. Since one good card will run any modern game just fine for years to come.
Khyron
posted 01-07-2009 02:58:10 PM
Based on feedback here and elsewhere I think I'm going to go with the Core i7, a decent mobo, and sell one of the two 9800 GTX+'s.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: