EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Television
Ghost of Forums Past
Pancake
posted 12-22-2008 07:15:09 PM
Now that Dexter, The Sarah Connor Chronicles, Stargate Atlantis, and Heroes are done for the season (or forever), what's left to watch?

Note: I'm canceling my subscription channels (sho/hbo/etc) come Jan so The Wire is out of the question.

Edit: Lost is returning in Jan.... that's something... but I need more.
BSG, even though it's starting in Jan, only has three episodes left of the series, so that doesn't count.

Ghost of Forums Past fucked around with this message on 12-22-2008 at 07:21 PM.

Greenlit
posted 12-22-2008 07:22:53 PM
I wish I could justify even watching television anymore.
Ghost of Forums Past
Pancake
posted 12-22-2008 07:29:50 PM
quote:
There was much rejoicing when Greenlit said this:
I wish I could justify even watching television anymore.

If I wasn't surrounded by a fortress of cold white powder as tall as I am, I'd substitute TV for countless other things.... taking a canoe out in the water, comedy clubs, hiking, exploring new bike paths, checking out tourist traps in Quincey market, jogging, taking a duck tour, buying a grill, whale watching, reading a book in my back yard facing the woods.... maybe even skydiving or a pathetic attempt at wakeboarding.

The white stuff from the heavens severely limits my options. I want the evil box to entertain me as a form of escapism, but it seems to be failing at its lone simple task as of late.

Ghost of Forums Past fucked around with this message on 12-22-2008 at 07:32 PM.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 12-22-2008 08:55:27 PM
What about Goddamn House
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Ares
posted 12-22-2008 09:31:50 PM
I tend to watch a lot of true crime shows and history channel.
Number 1 Poster
posted 12-22-2008 09:41:04 PM
Monday - Family Guy, Simpsons, American Dad, Dexter
Tuesday - Shield
Wednesday - Sons of Anarchy, House
Thursdays - Law And Order
Friday - nothing
Saturday - Stargate Atlantis
Sunday - nothing.

All but House and Law and Order has gone away At least 24 will pick up in January.

Maradon!
posted 12-22-2008 10:22:15 PM
I don't have the dedication to watch anything with any semblance of regularity.
Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 12-22-2008 11:10:09 PM
quote:
From the book of Karnaj, chapter 3, verse 16:
What about Goddamn House

Why bother? Every episode is the same.

Callalron
Hires people with hooks
posted 12-22-2008 11:40:46 PM
quote:
Karnaj stopped beating up furries long enough to write:
What about Goddamn House

To hell with that shit, Scrubs is back January 6.

Perry Cox kicks House's ass.

Callalron
"When mankind finally discovers the center of the universe, a lot of people are going to be upset that it isn't them."
"If you give a man a fish he'll eat for a day. If you teach a man to fish he'll just go out and buy an ugly hat. But if you talk to a starving man about fish, then you've become a consultant."--Dogbert
Arvek, 41 Bounty Hunter
Vrook Lamar server
Vallo, the Second Coming
Pancake
posted 12-22-2008 11:41:07 PM
quote:
Sakkra had this to say about Pirotess:
Why bother? Every episode is the same.

Godless heathen

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special."
Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 12-22-2008 11:46:09 PM
I'm serious, every episode is:

"Oh noes! Medical mystery what will we do!"
"Rar rar snarky remark"
*brainstorm session*
*painfully-acted tear parade from the patient's loved one(s)*
"Oh hey we found out what was wrong GG dudes"

It's like Scooby Doo, except Shaggy is an asshole addicted to vicodin instead of pot.

Noxhil2
Pancake
posted 12-23-2008 01:48:24 AM
House is a clear choice here. Every episode isn't the same but there are certainly some themes that are always present. Earlier seasons are better if you have any interest in the show at all.

Edit: Also- The Office, although it's also a show it would have been better to start watching earlier.

Noxhil2 fucked around with this message on 12-23-2008 at 01:50 AM.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 12-23-2008 02:21:42 AM
The Unit on CBS (Sunday nights at 10 EST) is a damn good show if you enjoy military-type shows. Mainly because Dennis Haysbert is fucking awesome.
Vallo, the Second Coming
Pancake
posted 12-23-2008 02:48:58 AM
Alternatively, download older shows or movies! Legally of course, like from Netflix or something...

I've recently acquired American Gangster, City of God, City of Men, I Am Legend (With the intended ending), Nanking, Resident Evil: Degeneration, Cannibal Holocaust, I Spit on your Grave, all of Metalocalypse, Soylent Green, Pineapple Express, Thriller - A Cruel Picture (Not Michael Jackson; it's what Kill Bill was based on) and Goodbye Uncle Tom. Oh, and several straight days of boxing and MMA fights/events/fighter 'best of' collections.

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special."
Captain Tarquinn
Don't Ask
posted 12-23-2008 02:51:04 AM
Lost and BSG for me.

Yeah, I watch way more US than German TV. Thanks internet!

quote:
Callalron had this to say about (_|_):
To hell with that shit, Scrubs is back January 6.

Perry Cox kicks House's ass.

*highfive*

"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 12-23-2008 08:49:12 AM
quote:
The propaganda machine of Sakkra's junta released this statement:
I'm serious, every episode is:

"Oh noes! Medical mystery what will we do!"
"Rar rar snarky remark"
*brainstorm session*
*painfully-acted tear parade from the patient's loved one(s)*
"Oh hey we found out what was wrong GG dudes"

It's like Scooby Doo, except Shaggy is an asshole addicted to vicodin instead of pot.

And this is a problem because...? Seriously, who cares if it's formulaic? All shows are formulaic. Familiarity breeds repeat viewership.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Peter
Pancake
posted 12-23-2008 08:46:50 PM
Burn Notice?
Captain Tarquinn
Don't Ask
posted 12-24-2008 02:36:00 AM
quote:
Peter had this to say about Reading Rainbow:
Burn Notice?

Tell me more about it.

Nina
posted 12-26-2008 01:02:18 AM
quote:
Verily, Ghost of Forums Past doth proclaim:
BSG, even though it's starting in Jan, only has three episodes left of the series, so that doesn't count.

what

Skaw
posted 12-26-2008 03:20:11 AM
quote:
Captain Tarquinn Model 2000 was programmed to say:
Tell me more about it.

Its a show, where a spy gets a burn notice. Effectively making him a John Doe stuck with no cash and no roof. Hilarious hijinks with his spy buddy Bruce Campbell in finding out who issued the notice.

Ghost of Forums Past
Pancake
posted 12-26-2008 09:25:38 AM
quote:
And I was all like 'Oh yeah?' and Nina was all like:
what

I use Epguides as my primary source of information for television. I incorrectly assumed that there are only three episodes left of Battlestar Galatica, because only three were listed.

http://epguides.com/BattlestarGalactica/

Your response forced me to perform further research into the matter. Posts like this one - http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080520035819AAEcWtJ - indicate that it is more likely that there are 13 episodes left.

I have yet to find a solid answer that I trust, but I have enough information to let me question the original assumption of there being only three episodes left.

If anyone has a concrete answer from a legitimate source, I'd love to hear it.

Ghost of Forums Past fucked around with this message on 12-26-2008 at 09:46 AM.

Captain Tarquinn
Don't Ask
posted 12-26-2008 06:39:54 PM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Skaw:
Its a show, where a spy gets a burn notice. Effectively making him a John Doe stuck with no cash and no roof. Hilarious hijinks with his spy buddy Bruce Campbell in finding out who issued the notice.

Sounds good. I look into into it.

Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 12-31-2008 06:07:22 AM
I would say Life, but I don't know if that's gone for the season or what, considering they advertised all fucking week it was going to be on last week before Law and Order and then our local network showed *Babes in Toyland* instead

WTHR

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Mr. Parcelan
posted 12-31-2008 03:55:15 PM
Anyone who likes House and doesn't like Scrubs is understandable. The shows are basically polar opposites.

One show is about an unethical egomaniac of a doctor who routinely treats his patients and staff like crap in order to solve a medical mystery.

The other is about an unlikable doctor with self-esteem problems who is routinely treated like crap by his staff and patients in order to solve a boring medical problem and also there's some cliched insight about relationships afterward.

Burn Notice has a fun plot, likable characters, and occasionally you see Gabrielle Anwar, society's greatest fish-lipped anorexic, in something revealing and ohhhhhh god jism

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: