EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: A few thoughts on GH:WT and RB2
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 12-22-2008 03:39:05 PM
So, after I learned that RB2 would work with the various GH instruments I have lying around, I decided that I could swing the fifty bucks I picked it up last Friday. Since I never played RB1 I can't compare it to that, so I don't know how much it's improved over the original. Instead, I figure I'd compare it to GH:WT, which is its direct competitor.

First, I will say that I find GH:WT a lot of fun. I found that I can do really well at most songs (4-5 star them), which is a lot more than I could say about GH3. In all honesty, I think GH3 was much tougher, for whatever reason. Of course, I don't play on Expert or anything, so maybe I'm just a chud. Regardless, I have a good time playing the game, with "Hotel California" and "Sweet Home Alabama" being especially fun to play. The create-a-rocker thing is meh, but it is kinda neat to have a custom avatar, I suppose...even though I spend my time gaily shredding "Satch Boogie" and thus cannot take my eyes off the note highway.

Speaking of, let's talk about RB2. Like I said, I've never played RB1, so I was pleased to see that everything was similar enough that I could handle it. One thing that did fuck me up was the slow note highway. Maybe it's the perspective or something, but for the first few songs, my timing was way off. Otherwise, I really didn't have a problem adjusting to the style. The Tour mode is interesting, though I guess it's deliberately more in-depth, rather than just being a way to force the player to have to unlock all the songs. It does get kind of annoying that you have to play songs repeatedly, especially when I'm mainly interested in unlocking as much content as quickly possible. There's gotta be a better way to do it, but since I never played the original...

Also, for whatever reason, I feel like a total asscock when I chunk a song in RB2. Maybe it's because of the "fans" system? Or the fact that you can see if you were close to getting four or five stars? In GH, I don't mind sucking(which is good, because I do). In RB2, I get all antsy. I feel like I'm under more pressure, especially if I start to suck.

In all, though, I think they're both great. The unique songs on each (the good ones, anyway) are good enough that they at least warrant fans of each series to take a look at the other. Being able to play "Down With the Sickness," "Come Out and Play," "Alive," and other songs of my youth, combined with the fact that I didn't need new instruments to so, made the idea of purchasing a second rhythm game seem less retarded. Had I gotten RB2 first, I would've said the same for "Sweet Home Alabama" and "Hotel California," to name a few.

One thing I really like in GH:WT is the communal Star Power. Because most people I play with are just goofing around on Easy Mode and don't pay all that much attention, I'm free to spend like three quarters of the song with Star Power on.

Oh, and finally: RB2 handles singing waaaaaaay better than GH:WT. We played both this past weekend with someone who has actually been trained to sing on vocals, and she, having never played either game, nailed every song 100% in RB2. In WT, she was lucky to get 85% on most songs. Most telling were the songs that are on both versions: for "Livin' on a Prayer," she got 100% in RB2 and 72% in GH:WT. I mean, srsly. Something's gotta be up with that.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Mightion Defensor
posted 12-22-2008 04:30:22 PM
I read the reviews for RB2 for the Wii, and I think I may just have to pick up the standalone version, since it will work with my World Tour instruments.

GH:WT is insanely easier than GH3 was, although HO's/PO's are a little less forgiving. My nephew was playing drums while I was playing guitar on Medium, and I managed to get 100 percent on "What I've Done", which I wasn't even thinking about.

I hope drumming in RB2 is a little easier, because in the upper tiers even on Medium, I can't keep up with the drums - it all falls apart - I can play enough to keep from failing out, but that's it. For the longest time, I though something was wrong with the song "Hollywood Nights", I could not get the hang of that song even on Easy. Heck, the other day, I finally managed to stumble through it on Medium, with a longest-note streak of 35, which was probably the intro.

Noxhil2
Pancake
posted 12-23-2008 02:01:27 AM
I'm not very good at singing, but GH:WT's vocals are pretty much impossible to do very well on.

The guitar is about the same difficult as on GH3. I haven't cleared one of the songs (on expert) but I've lost my interest in these games and I doubt I will play much more except at the random party or whatever.

The drums are a lot of fun though.

Mightion Defensor
posted 12-31-2008 03:01:26 PM
I picked up the standalone RB2 for the Wii yesterday, and I'm using my GH:WT instruments on it.

Call me a convert. The World Tour mode alone is enough to make me see why this game was rated slightly higher than GH:WT. Only thing I don't like about it so far is I seem to be playing songs over and over in different venues. All the little challenges, like hiring staff and such, make it even better.

Couple things to mention:

1. I miss the feedback WT gives you from the Wiimote in the guitar. A minot quibble, surely. I'm slightly puzzled as to why Activision "let" them make RB2 work with WT instruments.

2. Another thing I miss from WT is the full-fledged Build-A-Guitar feature.

3. The graphics seem to be a lot sharper... all my WT characters look fuzzy compared to them.

4. The characters in RB2 look a lot more human, too... you may not be able to adjust their head sizes/shapes, etc, but they don't look like mutants compared to WT characters.

5. I do kinda miss the digitized characters (Sting, Hayley Williams, Billy Corgan, Ted Nugent, etc); cause they do add a lot to WT for me.

But even with all this, I can agree with those who say RB2 is a better game. Now, open the Wii music store so I can get my 20 free tracks.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 01-01-2009 10:04:52 PM
Having some more hours under my belt, I find myself enjoying Rock Band a good deal, too. My hugest gripe with RB2 is the fact that the note highway doesn't speed up; I've been dicking around on Expert and it's much harder to keep up with some of the songs, especially when there's rapid switching between different three-button chords or simply a ton of notes to play. In GH:WT, the note highway moves quickly enough on Expert that I'm not as flummoxed by such things. Fortunately, though, you can speed up the highway to your liking.

In addition, I think it's cool to compare the common songs to see how the two developers treated them. "Mountain Song" is a great example of this; the main riff is much more difficult in RB2 (in that you're forced to move your hand at least twice to play it). In GH:WT you can play the main riff without switching your grip at all, if you want.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 01-13-2009 09:55:37 PM
Attention Wiitards, like myself. The store is up, at long last. I just gaily shredded myself some Boston.

MORE THAN A FEEEEELING

Beer.

Doomjudge
Pancake
posted 01-14-2009 12:23:13 PM
quote:
Mightion Defensor had this to say about the Spice Girls:
1. I miss the feedback WT gives you from the Wiimote in the guitar. A minot quibble, surely. I'm slightly puzzled as to why Activision "let" them make RB2 work with WT instruments.

This wasn't so much of a let...as a demand. Sony and Microsoft laid down the law that either you both play nice, or you're not allowed to publish on either of our systems.

At that point you really don't have much choice. Why shaft the Wii at that point? Might as well do it on all 3.

Mightion Defensor
posted 01-14-2009 03:20:42 PM
Yesterday I blew through 1400 Wii points in the RB2 Music Store - Had to get "Baba O'Riley", "Crushcrushcrush", and "Wonderwall" right off. I also downloaded the 20 free songs, along with the two Boston songs, one of the STP songs, and "Message In A Bottle".

I've played the first five (alphabetically) of the free 20, and they don't seem that bad. I'd never heard of any of them, but the price was right. They just need to get moving and bring out more Who, the Silversun Pickups songs, and "Cool Thing", by Sonic Youth, which was fun to play in GH3.

Another thing I can't figure out, is the Wii versions of GH3, and WT were the best selling versions, but RedOctance has made three faceplaces for the Les Paul, and NONE so far for the WT guitar. Figure that out.

I know more skins are available for RB guitars, but my Rock Band 2 guitar is a sunburst, so it really doesn't need any embellishment.

Trent
Smurfberry Moneyshot
posted 01-15-2009 05:59:28 AM
so, we finally got both RB2 and GH:WT.

like the songs on WT, but like everything else better on RB2.

Nina
posted 01-15-2009 03:34:52 PM
Yeah, the songs in Rock Band 2 are mostly obscure. Whenever I have friends over for a world tour we end up playing the Rock Band 1 songs more.
Mightion Defensor
posted 01-15-2009 09:13:16 PM
The song referred to as "Visions" was served up to me for the first time last night.

Well, not really a song, more like a collection of heavy metal CDs put in a blender, which wasn't run nearly long enough.

I still got a 170 note streak from the beginning, but then my fingers fell off.

"Message in a Bottle" has a nasty little repeating rift that messed me up a lot, even on my Medium setting.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 01-17-2009 05:56:01 AM
One of the must downloads is "Still Alive" by GLADOS from Portal. At least if you enjoyed Portal, it is.
To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 01-18-2009 09:15:10 AM
I'm just strumming my fingers, waiting for the Static-X DLC to be available. If one song could get me to obsessively practice it in Expert, and finally, once and for all, make the jump up to the last difficulty setting, that'd be it.

Beer.

Trent
Smurfberry Moneyshot
posted 01-18-2009 04:17:08 PM
okay, we don't have the xbox hooked up to the internets cause we are lame like that, is there anyway to get songs for RockBand2 without hooking it up? can i DL them to a CD or DVD or something then transfer them that way?

or, do i just have to suck it up and buy 5000ft of wires to hook it up, pay for Xbox live and an extra IP from comcast?

Trent fucked around with this message on 01-18-2009 at 04:17 PM.

Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 01-18-2009 04:24:53 PM
quote:
Blah blah blah Trent blah blah blah...
okay, we don't have the xbox hooked up to the internets cause we are lame like that, is there anyway to get songs for RockBand2 without hooking it up? can i DL them to a CD or DVD or something then transfer them that way?

or, do i just have to suck it up and buy 5000ft of wires to hook it up, pay for Xbox live and an extra IP from comcast?

You do have to connect to the intarwebs. the new "xbawx experience" isn't that bad and is worth getting as well.

If you run it through a router, you don't need an extra IP from comcast. Hell, I've never needed an extra IP from comcast. Or verizon. .. like, ever. Shove a router on it and they turn a blind eye.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 01-18-2009 04:25:12 PM
Well you can download with a silver (free) xbox live account, wire is cheap from monoprice and a router is probably cheaper than even a single month of a second IP
Trent
Smurfberry Moneyshot
posted 01-18-2009 04:35:25 PM
we have a router, but anytime i try to hook anything up beyond the two computers, it will not let me. fucked if i know why, but it won't find a connection. tried once to move the xbox over and hook it up with a shorter wire when we first got it, no go. is there some odd trick to routerness that i'm not familar with, for i do freely admit, i am terrible at multi connections, i know the router sould work, but alas, it does not, at least not for me.

at least the silver sub is free, so that's good to know.

if we gave a damn about playing online ... but we don't, we just want different songs.

ah well, will just suck it up sometime.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 01-18-2009 05:57:39 PM
Something similar happened to my friends router. Two ports fried. Maybe just temporarily unhook one of the computers to do some downloads and see if that works?
Trent
Smurfberry Moneyshot
posted 01-18-2009 06:06:32 PM
i tried that before, totes failed.

eh, just sucked it up, got another IP.

Trent fucked around with this message on 01-19-2009 at 08:02 AM.

Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 01-20-2009 12:21:14 AM
quote:
And I was all like 'Oh yeah?' and Trent was all like:
we have a router, but anytime i try to hook anything up beyond the two computers, it will not let me. fucked if i know why, but it won't find a connection. tried once to move the xbox over and hook it up with a shorter wire when we first got it, no go. is there some odd trick to routerness that i'm not familar with, for i do freely admit, i am terrible at multi connections, i know the router sould work, but alas, it does not, at least not for me.

at least the silver sub is free, so that's good to know.

if we gave a damn about playing online ... but we don't, we just want different songs.

ah well, will just suck it up sometime.

Was entirely possible that your DCHP server on the router was only assigning two IP addresses to connections. Which wouldn't be default (generally it's .101 to .199) but a possibility.

At least the NXE isn't so bad.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: