EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Any of you jerks got the Blackberry Storm?
Number 1 Poster
posted 12-13-2008 02:40:32 PM
How is it?
Maradon!
posted 12-13-2008 02:43:21 PM
I want the fuck out of one.

I used a demo unit in the mall and it was sweet as fuck.

Maradon!
posted 12-13-2008 02:43:45 PM
Fucking fuck
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 12-13-2008 04:34:55 PM
I read a horrible review about the Storm. And I've got the previously top-o-the-line model for work, and in general I can say that BBs suck balls. It's shoddily built, the trackball thingy is ridiculously inaccurate, and it has a habit of changing its settings all by itself in ways that aren't apparent until you miss something, and all the options are buried and not at all obvious to find or adjust.

The only thing BlackBerry has going for it is the whole push e-mail thing. If you don't need that for work, I'd highly recommend an iPhone 3G instead. Or, if you just can't buy into the whole Apple schtick, then almost anything else on the market before a BlackBerry.

They blow.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Maradon!
posted 12-13-2008 04:47:11 PM
Funny how all the horrible reviews seem to be coming from macfags.

Anyway, the storm also has an SD card slot, stereo bluetooth (iphone is mono only), video recording, copy/paste in documents, a user replaceable battery, and a higher resolution screen.

Also the GPS is better and there's that whole clicky keyboard thing of subjective value.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 12-13-2008 at 04:51 PM.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 12-13-2008 04:51:44 PM
quote:
Bent over the coffee table, Maradon! squealed:
Funny how all the horrible reviews seem to be coming from macfags.

What the fuck are you talking about? I read the horrible review in Time, and the main complaint was that the click screen thing was horrible in practice. If the Storm is built as poorly as my "high end" BlackBerry, I believe it.

Maradon!
posted 12-13-2008 04:58:50 PM
WTF I googled that article and it's written by Anita Hamilton who also writes for MacDailyNews.com

CONSIDER THE SOURCE

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 12-13-2008 05:05:51 PM
Yeah, usually when someone reaches a different conclusion than you based on experience it's due to some inane claim of bias. Good call
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 12-13-2008 05:06:44 PM
quote:
Bent over the coffee table, Maradon! squealed:
WTF I googled that article and it's written by Anita Hamilton who also writes for MacDailyNews.com

CONSIDER THE SOURCE

Are you sure it's the same article I read? It's also possible to read a conspiracy into everything, and let your prejudices override logic.

Given what I know about the BlackBery that I use for work, I would never buy one using my own money. Given that the review I read was not bashing the BlackBerry mindlessly nor pitching for Apple illogically--given the Storm's marketing, one has to compare it to the iPhone--it's reasonable to believe it and fairly unreasonable to write it off just because the author also writes for another magazine.

Buy it if you want, but kindly quit trying to debunk my experience. You can't possibly succeed.

Maradon!
posted 12-13-2008 05:22:25 PM
You don't have any experience with this product, you said so yourself. You have experience with a product that was targeted at an entirely different market.

And I'm not trying to make the claim that it necessarily IS a good product, only that there's a good reason to suspect bias in the reviews - mac zombieism is basically the only reason Apple still exists.

Lastly, I've listed several, quantitative advantages that the Storm has over the iPhone. You've listed a handful of subjective, qualitative reasons why the iPhone is better than a product only tangentially related to this conversation.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 12-13-2008 06:56:25 PM
Maradon, you're being an idiot.

I said 2 things:

1. I read a terrible review of it.

2. I have a high-end BlackBerry and it's a POS.

Without even knowing which review I read, you automatically assume it's completely invalid because it had to have been written by a Mac "zombie."

That's just stupid.

I've used quite a few different phones going back to the early '90s when they came out of bags and became truly portable. And I've used quite a few different PDAs/smart phones going back to the Newton. I know what I'm talking about; your whole "point" is that not only must the revie I read have been completely off base, but somehow my experience with BlackBerry doesn't count and can't be extrapolated to any of their other products. Which, you'll want to note, invalidates your approach to Apple.

So quit yer bitchin about Apple and start talking specifics about specific products.

I honestly don't give a shit what phone you buy. If you've got a good review of the Storm, then pony it up. If you've used other BlackBerry devices and think they're well made and ergonomic, then lend us an anecdote. Otherwise, just leave well enough alone, jeebus.

nem-x
posted 12-13-2008 08:39:53 PM
Noxhil2
Pancake
posted 12-13-2008 09:40:03 PM
I have a Blackberry Pearl and when I tried the Storm I thought it was shit.
Brahmin Bloodlust
High Priest of Drysart
posted 12-13-2008 10:22:20 PM
I am tempted to get the HTC Touch Diamond... but no memory card slot in the current version that the Alltel network has, so I will just wait until that comes along.

*edit*

forgot to add: I tried the Storm and it wasn't anything that really had me amazed. As for the iPhone, they are neat, but they lack the capacity to still do simple things that I do quite often... which bugs the shit out of me.

Brahmin Bloodlust fucked around with this message on 12-13-2008 at 10:23 PM.

Alidane
Urinary Tract Infection
posted 12-13-2008 11:02:24 PM
nevermind, not taking that bait.

Alidane fucked around with this message on 12-13-2008 at 11:04 PM.

Blackened
posted 12-13-2008 11:37:42 PM
Are there any good upcoming Smart Phones? I still believe that the 3G is king of the hill, but I can't really afford a nice smart phone now, anyway. A lot of manufacturers are getting on-board the Android train, though. So perhaps there will be some great android-powered smart phones coming soon.

The G1 seems to suck a little bit. And it's ugly.

Although my distaste for you as a human being is brobdingnagian,
what I'm about to do isn't personal.
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 12-14-2008 01:09:14 AM
I'm still rocking my first-gen metal-back iPhone. It works great, has the 2.0 software and can do everything save for GPS and 3G data (which I don't have in my area anyways). I also spend 15 bucks a month less on the data plan, since I get the old one instead of the new 3G one.

I tried the blackberry pearl and just couldn't get into it like I did with the iPhone (wanted to consider an alltel switch due to them having 3g in my area). The iPhone is my personal favorite.

Pvednes
Lynched
posted 12-14-2008 08:24:16 AM
I'm loving my iPhone 3G.

The whole Apple thing stops sucking when you hax0r it a bit, and by so doing can use all the features it should have had right out of the box.

Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 12-14-2008 10:30:05 AM
My father in law got himself a G1 and people need to stop bitching about it because it's flippin awesome.
Timpofee
Mancake
posted 12-14-2008 11:11:32 AM
Ive talked to 3 people who bought the storm.
2 returned it within the same week and one is wanting to wait for the 3rd software patch/update in the same week that he got it before he takes it back.
Seems that the pressure typing system and etc all suck
And you have to use buttons on the little keypad (not the screen) to switch between anything.
Number 1 Poster
posted 12-15-2008 02:13:26 AM
What about the HTC Touch Pro? I wanted to go with Blackberry Curve 8900 but Telus doesn't support it, only the 8330 (8900 with no video support and smaller battery).
Greenlit
posted 12-15-2008 02:22:25 AM
I read a review (from a 'related link' thing in GMail) just a while ago that was absolutely brutal to the HTC Touch Pro. I wish I could find it in my history to double check the facts, but I remember it being fucking bad.
Number 1 Poster
posted 12-15-2008 02:23:56 AM
GUESS I'M WAITING TILL JANUARY FOR THE STORM!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 12-15-2008 02:32:24 PM
quote:
Greenlit startled the peaceful upland Gorillas, blurting:
I read a review (from a 'related link' thing in GMail) just a while ago that was absolutely brutal to the HTC Touch Pro. I wish I could find it in my history to double check the facts, but I remember it being fucking bad.

APPLE ZOMBIE!!!!!!!1

Greenlit
posted 12-15-2008 07:22:17 PM
I own and use a Zune.
Number 1 Poster
posted 12-15-2008 07:30:59 PM
After being told by multiple in store Telus people that I can simply go to a Smart phone from a cell phone so long as I go another 3 years, I was refused because I hadn't completed my current contract. Sweet.

Guess in August I might get the Bold I wanted with Bell.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: