EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Illinois Governor arrested for trying to sell Obama's Senate seat
Zair
The Imp
posted 12-09-2008 12:58:26 PM
Here is a link:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/12/09/illinois.governor/index.html

Basically, the title says it all.

Since Obama is vacating his Senate seat, the IL governor gets to choose a replacement. He tries to sell it to the highest bidder for cash and favors. The FBI has him on tape, he is screwed and probably going to prison.

We'll have to see if any of this reaches Obama or his staff, but so far it seems like a "no". I think they said on tv that one recording specifically has the Gov. complaining that Obama won't play ball.

Thanks Blagojevich, for keeping the "Illinois Governors go to prison" tradition alive.

I voted for this guy once

Zair fucked around with this message on 12-09-2008 at 01:23 PM.

Maradon!
posted 12-09-2008 06:12:24 PM
Yeah, the recording pretty specifically exonerates Obama.

Obama's response to this was pretty stupid though, since he claimed he'd had no contact with the governor when Axelrod was on record a couple months ago specifically stating that Obama had been talking to the governor. I have no doubt that neither of them were lying, but it sounded really damn bad.

Really that just amounts to trivial crap though, this is all just another day in Illinois. I'm surprised anyone is surprised.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 12-09-2008 at 06:19 PM.

Maradon!
posted 12-09-2008 06:17:47 PM
Let's talk about a trillion dollars in busy-work on top of Bush's already unbelievable domestic spending budget. How about THAT!

Where's Blindy stand on this plan, I wonder? I recall him being all up in arms over Bush's deficit spending, but maybe it's different this time.

Zair
The Imp
posted 12-09-2008 06:22:43 PM
quote:
Maradon! thought about the meaning of life:
Yeah, the recording pretty specifically exonerates Obama.

Obama's response to this was pretty stupid though, since he claimed he'd had no contact with the governor when Axelrod was on record a couple months ago specifically stating that Obama had been talking to the governor.

Really that just amounts to trivial crap though, this is all just another day in Illinois. I'm surprised anyone is surprised.

Actually, most people in Illinois are pretty happy. Even people who voted for him 4 years ago had wised up well before now about how terrible he was.

I really had no idea how over the top he was though. We now learn he withheld signing a bill to fund a children's hospital because they had not made a campaign contribution to him in a long time...

Plus he knew he was being investigated. He even bragged that he wouldn't care if his phones were secretly tapped because he has nothing to hide.

The guy is not even competently evil.

Mooj
Scorned Fanboy
posted 12-09-2008 08:51:06 PM
This is the kind of scandal that'll keep him from even being allowed on the talent show planning comittee in prison.

I mean, this is the political version of dousing yourself in gas, standing in the middle of a field of TNT, and lighting a match.

I can't believe he thought he even had a CHANCE to get away with this. Didn't the last governor of Illinois also get arrested for corruption?

Maradon!
posted 12-09-2008 09:01:29 PM
Mooj I hate to break it to you, but by all indications these aren't the only guys playing this game, they're just the ones dumb enough to get caught.

It's like the cockroaches thing, for every one you see there's ten you don't.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 12-09-2008 at 09:01 PM.

Zair
The Imp
posted 12-09-2008 09:29:18 PM
quote:
Mooj wrote this stupid crap:

I can't believe he thought he even had a CHANCE to get away with this. Didn't the last governor of Illinois also get arrested for corruption?

According to the news, if he goes to jail, he'll be the fourth Illinois governor in under 40 years to go to jail.

Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 12-09-2008 09:35:46 PM
quote:
Maradon! says ta-ma-to, I say to-ma-to:
Let's talk about a trillion dollars in busy-work on top of Bush's already unbelievable domestic spending budget. How about THAT!

Where's Blindy stand on this plan, I wonder? I recall him being all up in arms over Bush's deficit spending, but maybe it's different this time.

I'm pretty pissed about it, to be honest. There was a lot of talk ahead of time about cutting the budget in other areas to make up for increased domestic spending. I'm hopeful that we'll see that coming soon, but if it stays this way Obama will lose my vote in 2012.

Maradon!
posted 12-09-2008 09:52:22 PM
If you'd read his book, maybe he would have lost your vote this year. In Audacity of Hope basically came out and said he was going to do precisely this.

He doesn't spend much time on it but he extolls the virtues of massive spending projects in very clear terms.

Blindy.
posted 12-09-2008 10:09:27 PM
Well I'm happier about massive domestic spending than I am about massive defense spending to fight the enemies in our head, but either way I think we need to balance the budget.
Maradon!
posted 12-09-2008 10:10:47 PM
Government spending is great as long as it isn't constitutionally authorized

Obama won't be closing Gitmo or pulling out of Iraq either btw.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 12-09-2008 at 10:11 PM.

Blindy.
posted 12-09-2008 10:13:31 PM
quote:
I like it when Maradon! says:
Government spending is great as long as it isn't constitutionally authorized

Obama won't be closing Gitmo or pulling out of Iraq either btw.

Last I heard he was closing Gitmo and they were pulling out of Iraq on the standard 2011 timetable.

Steven Steve
posted 12-09-2008 10:16:45 PM
AND THE WORLD ENDS IN 2012

COINCIDENCE?

"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Maradon!
posted 12-09-2008 10:22:59 PM
When I say "Pulling out of Iraq" I mean doing something that George Bush wouldn't have done. The war in Iraq is over, the government meets 15 of the 18 political benchmarks, the insurgency is crushed, the local law enforcement and military are capable, so naturally we're leaving.

Obama has already promised a buildup in Afghanistan though, which is already happening, so don't count on the defense budget costing any less. He might pull a Clinton and cut our defense spending more than any peace or wartime president in history then go and spend it all on more worthless social programs, but he idolizes FDR, not Clinton, so I'm betting not.

And no, he's made a lot of bold statements on the campaign trail about it, but surrogates are already cushioning the blow for when he decides not to close Gitmo because closing it would literally be idiotic.

I will bet you five dollars that he does not close it.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 12-09-2008 at 10:25 PM.

Zair
The Imp
posted 12-09-2008 10:34:40 PM
quote:
Zair's fortune cookie read:
Actually, most people in Illinois are pretty happy. Even people who voted for him 4 years ago had wised up well before now about how terrible he was.

To support this statement with more than just anecdotal evidence....

just came across Governor Blagojevich's approval ratings from October of this year: 4%.

A Rasmussen poll found he had a 4% approval rating among Illinois citizens.

Bill Ayers probably has a higher approval rating

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 12-09-2008 10:34:41 PM
I said this after I saw Obama speak in Austin, Obama is really good at saying just about nothing and almost everything out of his mouth that is something is a lie. The man is frightening, and we have 4 years of him.
Steven Steve
posted 12-09-2008 10:36:13 PM
I voted for Nader
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."

Zair
The Imp
posted 12-09-2008 10:40:34 PM
I always have to remind myself Naimah's sigpic is "ironic"
Blindy.
posted 12-09-2008 10:49:03 PM
quote:
Maradon! + Maradon! = 2Maradon!:
When I say "Pulling out of Iraq" I mean doing something that George Bush wouldn't have done. The war in Iraq is over, the government meets 15 of the 18 political benchmarks, the insurgency is crushed, the local law enforcement and military are capable, so naturally we're leaving.

Obama has already promised a buildup in Afghanistan though, which is already happening, so don't count on the defense budget costing any less. He might pull a Clinton and cut our defense spending more than any peace or wartime president in history then go and spend it all on more worthless social programs, but he idolizes FDR, not Clinton, so I'm betting not.

And no, he's made a lot of bold statements on the campaign trail about it, but surrogates are already cushioning the blow for when he decides not to close Gitmo because closing it would literally be idiotic.

I will bet you five dollars that he does not close it.

I will take that bet, because he's already discussing setting up a federal court to try the detainees instead of just holding them for with no charges.

And yes, just like what Bush has now decided to do after years of retoric about never setting a timeline, ever.

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 12-09-2008 11:02:36 PM
quote:
So quoth Blindy.:
I will take that bet, because he's already discussing setting up a federal court to try the detainees instead of just holding them for with no charges.

And yes, just like what Bush has now decided to do after years of retoric about never setting a timeline, ever.

And that court is going to boil down to a military tribunal in everything but name for the cases that have to do with national security, which is most of them. Hey look, that's what Bush wanted but dems threw a conniption fit. Yay, change.

Mooj
Scorned Fanboy
posted 12-10-2008 01:36:35 AM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Maradon!:
Mooj I hate to break it to you, but by all indications these aren't the only guys playing this game, they're just the ones dumb enough to get caught.

It's like the cockroaches thing, for every one you see there's ten you don't.

What's really sad is that I'm just now realizing how right you are.

Dammit. And I thought my faith in humanity couldn't get lower...

Mr. Parcelan
posted 12-10-2008 01:57:01 AM
quote:
Mooj got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:
And I thought my faith in humanity couldn't get lower...

People who keep using this phrase make me want to ban them just to give them an opportunity to read a goddamn history book.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 12-10-2008 03:16:04 AM
quote:
Everyone wondered WTF when Naimah wrote:
And that court is going to boil down to a military tribunal in everything but name for the cases that have to do with national security, which is most of them. Hey look, that's what Bush wanted but dems threw a conniption fit. Yay, change.

If by military tribunal you mean the normal Federal justice system then sure

edit: dumb rant edited out twice

edit #2: agreeing with Parcelan on the whole MY FAITH IN HUMANITY nonsense

Kegwen fucked around with this message on 12-10-2008 at 03:26 AM.

Steven Steve
posted 12-10-2008 09:32:32 AM
Humans are probably better than all the other forms of life. But I'm still superior.

Blindy.
posted 12-10-2008 10:13:00 AM
The guy isn't even president yet, I'm not going to judge him until he's actually got the power to do something.
Steven Steve
posted 12-10-2008 03:59:56 PM
aw hell naw

Blindy.
posted 12-10-2008 04:13:10 PM
welcome to erf!
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 12-12-2008 04:10:07 PM
For those who think closing Gitmo is easy, just ask yourself where to house all the detainees. Many of the places they're from either don't want them back, or would create a human rights furor to send them back. And IIRC, at least one state has thrown a hissy fit over a leaked proposal to relocate the holding center to US soil.

It's great to want to close it, but not so easy in practical terms.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Blindy.
posted 12-12-2008 04:41:56 PM
Well I think step one should be to at least file charges against them.
Mr. Parcelan
posted 12-12-2008 06:05:51 PM
HEY

Why is it that when the government has a place to questionably hold people indefinitely, you guys all discuss it, but when I try to blacklist/ostracize/ban people indefinitely under questionable circumstances, everyone throws a fit?

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 12-12-2008 06:20:54 PM
quote:
Blindy.'s account was hax0red to write:
Well I think step one should be to at least file charges against them.

Under what court system? Federal courts have no jurisdiction over these people. They've tried multiple times to try them under military courts and every antiwar person makes every effort to establish that whatever military court gets set up doesn't have jurisdiction either. They've tried to try them and been blocked, so the detainees get to sit there.

Mightion Defensor
posted 12-12-2008 06:54:55 PM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan fell asleep and read just about every paragraph.
HEY

Why is it that when the government has a place to questionably hold people indefinitely, you guys all discuss it, but when I try to blacklist/ostracize/ban people indefinitely under questionable circumstances, everyone throws a fit?

Because we didn't have a chance to vote for you?

Anakha's PS3
Pancake
posted 12-12-2008 07:18:24 PM
Thats a good question, what gives Parcelan supreme executive power?
Steven Steve
posted 12-12-2008 07:22:33 PM
Probably the fact that he's better than most of you

Mr. Parcelan
posted 12-12-2008 07:39:41 PM
quote:
Anakha's PS3 enlisted the help of an infinite number of monkeys to write:
Thats a good question, what gives Parcelan supreme executive power?

I was appointed by God.

Anakha's PS3
Pancake
posted 12-12-2008 08:24:22 PM
But supreme executive power requires a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical heavenly deity!
Blindy.
posted 12-12-2008 08:37:38 PM
quote:
Naimah's complete misunderstanding of life manifested itself when they said:
Under what court system? Federal courts have no jurisdiction over these people. They've tried multiple times to try them under military courts and every antiwar person makes every effort to establish that whatever military court gets set up doesn't have jurisdiction either. They've tried to try them and been blocked, so the detainees get to sit there.

Federal courts. Just give them jurisdiction as you would any give them over non-national who commits a crime on American soil, or who is part of a conspiracy that targets American soil.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 12-12-2008 08:59:08 PM
quote:
Anakha's PS3 painfully thought these words up:
But supreme executive power requires a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical heavenly deity!

Hey, look how edgy you are.

Zair
The Imp
posted 12-12-2008 09:07:43 PM
lets start an edgy ec atheist club.
Mr. Parcelan
posted 12-12-2008 09:14:50 PM
This god is a FARCE

are any girls watching

RELIGION is the cause of ALL evil

please look at me ladies

GOD you mean that SKY PIXIE