EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Fun on Black Friday
Vallo, the Second Coming
Pancake
posted 12-01-2008 09:25:09 PM
0:39

Myself (The beardy one still trying to get in the groove) and two friends working what we have deemed "The Six-Legged Groove Machine" for some people outside a Best Buy near our houses on Black Friday.

It's a set of three backpacks, one central unit and two speakers.

The speakers have been updated the last couple days thanks in part to that trip out; they're now 70 pounds of pure, unadulterated thumpanomics each with their own attached sub woofer - they're like three feet tall also, and instead of being in backpacks they're attached to military pack rails.

The centerpiece is four 12-volt sealed lead-acid batteries powering a car amp, which is routed out to two speaker ports; one 6-volt battery powering two neon tubes (The orange and blue ones you can see on the side) that can be set to either stay stable or pulsate with the music; one 2.2-farad capacitor to hold a charge and make elongated bass notes sounding strong as well as extending the life of the overall system...also has some fun blinky lights; and a male electrical outlet for easy hook-up to a wall outlet with the use of a standard extension cord. All that sits in a painted milk crate which is also attached to a military pack rail.

There's another piece we bring when the situation calls for it that is a frontal, horizontal, painted milk crate containing a full DJ mixing table and an 8-amp FM transmitter that can be quickly and easily switched with either our .25-amp or 1-amp transmitter - not entirely legal to broadcast with an 8-amp one without the proper permits.

When we take the frontal piece, we grow many extra pairs of legs by getting everyone we can to come along with whatever portable stereos they can bring along and just have them tune it to the station we broadcast on.

Battery time is about 8-10 hours. Can run music from pretty much anything - CD player, iPod, laptop, if we could find a space for it we could even hook up a record player.

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special."
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 12-01-2008 09:36:46 PM
quote:
Vallo, the Second Coming put down Tada! magazine long enough to type:
one 2.2-farad capacitor

Holy fucking shit, are you out of your goddamned minds? I mean, putting something like that in a car is dangerous enough, but strapped to your back?

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Vallo, the Second Coming
Pancake
posted 12-01-2008 09:50:44 PM
I cover my own ass by basically making sure my hand is never within 6 inches of that particular object.
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special."
Razor
posted 12-03-2008 11:00:43 PM
Are the battery's in parallel or series?

A 2.2 cap at 12 Volts carries only 26 odd joules of power. Enough to fry you if not careful, but it's really only part of a low pass filter, so not much issue. 2.2 Cap at 48V is a little more of an issue... only 105 Joules,which is a bit more dangerous.

I'll assume you were using 32 ohm speakers.
you have a 70s time const... so 350 sec to 98% charge, and that's assuming you're using a straight DC signal. most of the time you'll have actual down time, so you're looking at most a 35% duty. I'd give you a nice little explosion out of it, could take your hand off if in the wrong place, otherwise, the thing should be pretty safe.

Astronomy is a passion...
Engineering is a love...
My job isn't a job, it's my career, and I love every minute of it: Observatory Superintendent
Vallo, the Second Coming
Pancake
posted 12-04-2008 01:50:37 PM
The batteries are in parallel, as the amp is designed for a vehicular 12v installation. Actual voltage is usually around 13.8 volts (according to the digital readout on the cap) and I have seen it dip as low as 8.7 volts during extended peak loads caused by bass heavy songs.
OrangeBrand
By a Truck
posted 12-04-2008 03:57:38 PM
You look like the guy from Knocked up younger brother.

Thats a pretty crazy set up, shit is real "mobile party".

SPELLCHECK is a four letter word.
Mr. Parcelan
posted 12-04-2008 06:35:24 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^ Faggots post here

----------- Cool people post here

vvvvvvvvvvvv More faggots post here

Steven Steve
posted 12-04-2008 08:28:22 PM
INVASION OF THE CHESS CLUB huhu
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Bricktop
Old and Gay
posted 12-04-2008 09:04:13 PM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan had this to say about Reading Rainbow:
^^^^^^^^^^^ Faggots post here

----------- Cool people post here

vvvvvvvvvvvv More faggots post here

I'm rubber you're glue whatever you say bounces off of me and sticks to you.

A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent.
Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 12-05-2008 08:35:19 AM
------------------------------------------------

Haha I'm under this shield it reflects the fag

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 12-05-2008 08:44:03 AM
I don't care for your arbitrary labels of sexuality, sir or madam.
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 12-05-2008 10:58:08 PM
quote:
Bricktop obviously shouldn't have said:
I'm rubber you're glue whatever you say bounces off of me and sticks to you.

I'm a Ketel One Martini,
You're O'Doul's Beer,
I get people naked,
You turn people queer.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: