EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Graphics Card Upgrade Time
Trent
Smurfberry Moneyshot
posted 11-19-2008 02:50:21 PM
so naturally, i turn to EC for advice.

at this point, pretty much anything is an upgrade as the cards are about 2yrs old, but my they were spiffy then.

anyway, we both have a PCI-e port, run XP and need a decent card for graphic heavy use, and have a budget of about 350$ per card.

we prefer Nvidea cards. cause, well, just cause i suppose.

anyway, links? hints? advice?

and, i'll actually heed the advice given!

nem-x
posted 11-19-2008 03:03:22 PM
with 350 you can go balls out so
Steven Steve
posted 11-19-2008 03:05:20 PM
Get "the best"
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Damnati
Filthy
posted 11-19-2008 04:32:27 PM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130427
Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 11-19-2008 04:54:33 PM
I got a 260, which is pretty nice, but let me recommend a power supply upgrade be part of your budget. 500W with 2x 12v rails doesn't even cut it anymore.
Damnati
Filthy
posted 11-19-2008 05:01:52 PM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139002

A particularly nice PSU that will support the card I'd recommended. Didn't think of that point until Blindy pointed it out.

Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 11-19-2008 05:54:39 PM
quote:
Blindy. said:
I got a 260, which is pretty nice, but let me recommend a power supply upgrade be part of your budget. 500W with 2x 12v rails doesn't even cut it anymore.

My power supply recently broke and I had to get a new one, so I picked one up with a little display on the back of it that tells you exactly how many watts you're using. I have an 8600GTS (the good one, not the crap one), two hard drives, a CD drive, and it's never jumped above 300W. So I dunno what's going on there. It's a 3GHz+ double core CPU and a top of the range mobo.

nem-x
posted 11-19-2008 05:57:57 PM
I have a 260 and it runs everything fine on max/forced settings.

But it matters how good your other computer hardware is too ie delid and his nice graphics card but poo everything else

Trent
Smurfberry Moneyshot
posted 11-19-2008 06:22:56 PM
just cause i have 350$ available doesn't mean i need to spend it.

what do you guys think of this? http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16814130319

we plan on upgrading RAM as well, Miss Xyrra's machine can only hold 1g though, and mine only 2g.

power supplies will probably be upgraded as well.

Trent fucked around with this message on 11-19-2008 at 06:24 PM.

Damnati
Filthy
posted 11-19-2008 06:28:40 PM
What kind of games are you looking to play with it?

Edit: and what have you got in your rigs right now?

Damnati fucked around with this message on 11-19-2008 at 06:31 PM.

Greenlit
posted 11-19-2008 06:40:30 PM
The efficiency rating of a power supply is also something to consider.

If your shitty no-name brand 500w PSU is rated at 50% you might as well just take a hammer to your hardware then and there.

Trent
Smurfberry Moneyshot
posted 11-19-2008 06:50:59 PM
Maradon!
posted 11-19-2008 10:04:30 PM
quote:
Peanut butter ass Shaq Mortious booooze lime pole over bench lick:
My power supply recently broke and I had to get a new one, so I picked one up with a little display on the back of it that tells you exactly how many watts you're using. I have an 8600GTS (the good one, not the crap one), two hard drives, a CD drive, and it's never jumped above 300W. So I dunno what's going on there. It's a 3GHz+ double core CPU and a top of the range mobo.

Anandtech recently did an article on power supply myths.

They built three systems and monitored their draw under normal use and heavy load. Their top-end system with an Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6850, two 8800 Ultras, four hard drives, an optical drive would only draw 310w under normal use, peaking at 544w under maximum load.

So basically what's happening is that you're realizing that power supply manufacturers have lied to you.

Maradon!
posted 11-19-2008 10:10:29 PM
quote:
Peanut butter ass Shaq Trent booooze lime pole over bench lick:
just cause i have 350$ available doesn't mean i need to spend it.

what do you guys think of this? http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16814130319

we plan on upgrading RAM as well, Miss Xyrra's machine can only hold 1g though, and mine only 2g.

power supplies will probably be upgraded as well.

Wait a second something isn't right here.

You've got a motherboard new enough that it has a PCI Express slot, but it has a 2gb memory cap? I've never seem a motherboard less than 5 years old that couldn't take 4gb except the cheapest cheap dells sold to third world countries and the elderly.

What motherboard do you have?

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 11-19-2008 10:13:32 PM
quote:
Maradon! said:
Anandtech recently did an article on power supply myths.

That was quite an interesting read. I think you read the conclusion wrong though, it's all about efficiency. Even if that high end system was only pulling 500-odd watts, the higher grade power supply allowed it to pull with much great efficiency. If that supply was put into a crappy computer though the efficiency would go down. So you should still get a good supply for a good computer.

Looking at that graph, the well manufactured 700W one I'm using at the moment seems to be perfect for me efficiency-wise.

Maradon!
posted 11-19-2008 10:20:02 PM
quote:
Peanut butter ass Shaq Mortious booooze lime pole over bench lick:
That was quite an interesting read. I think you read the conclusion wrong though, it's all about efficiency. Even if that high end system was only pulling 500-odd watts, the higher grade power supply allowed it to pull with much great efficiency. If that supply was put into a crappy computer though the efficiency would go down. So you should still get a good supply for a good computer.

Looking at that graph, the well manufactured 700W one I'm using at the moment seems to be perfect for me efficiency-wise.

Oh, I didn't take it to mean that you should skimp on a power supply, only that outlandishly beefy power supplies are completely unnecessary and that you're much better off buying higher quality, lower wattage supply.

Trent
Smurfberry Moneyshot
posted 11-20-2008 12:53:39 AM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about Duck Tales:
Wait a second something isn't right here.

You've got a motherboard new enough that it has a PCI Express slot, but it has a 2gb memory cap? I've never seem a motherboard less than 5 years old that couldn't take 4gb except the cheapest cheap dells sold to third world countries and the elderly.

What motherboard do you have?

well, it was a clearance compaq i got from best buy for 300$, so yep, 2gb is it, and i upgrade it slowly over time.

nem-x
posted 11-20-2008 01:03:02 AM
I wouldn't upgrade your video card, Id just save up until you could buy an entirely new system
Trent
Smurfberry Moneyshot
posted 11-20-2008 01:10:52 AM
while that is a good idea, it would take to long as it's taken a couple of years to get this cash saved and our computers aren't getting any better in the meantime. so it was decided that we would upgrade these instead.

so, we are.

i know they are POS's, but we'd like to make them stink a bit less.

EDITED HERE:

so, we are maxing the RAM, upgrading video cards and powersupplies and see where we stand then.

Trent fucked around with this message on 11-20-2008 at 01:12 AM.

Alidane
Urinary Tract Infection
posted 11-20-2008 04:22:59 AM
If your computer's already a shitpile, putting a $300 graphics card in it will simply make it a more expensive shitpile. I'd say go for something budget-ish but a decent jump above your current card, though you're probably bottlenecked on CPU anyway.

What are you currently using?

Alidane fucked around with this message on 11-20-2008 at 04:26 AM.

Blindy.
posted 11-20-2008 06:47:05 AM
Pure wattage isn't the issue, it's the amps available on the 12v rail.
Trent
Smurfberry Moneyshot
posted 11-20-2008 10:05:07 AM
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3800 2.4GHZ
1022 RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT

and yeah, i don't want to spend 300$ on a graphics card, it is what we had saved up just in case they were amazingly expensive.

i can put another gig if RAM in mine, her machine can just handle one gig, so we are doing that.

upgrading the powersupplies to 750W

so, the graphics cards are the last part of what we are going to do now.

Damnati
Filthy
posted 11-20-2008 07:32:51 PM
I'd suggest going for a 9 series card at the least.

EVGA 9800GT for $129

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 11-20-2008 08:59:08 PM
I'd get a new cpu/mem first.
Trent
Smurfberry Moneyshot
posted 12-09-2008 02:29:21 AM
okay, this is what we got...

Dell pre-builts that were on sale.

we may have voided the warranty as soon as they hit the floor of the living room though.

but man the monitors are nice.

and both new systems, on an early cyber monday sale, less than 800$.

Mightion Defensor
posted 12-09-2008 03:06:34 AM
My favorite motherboard make, Abit, has ceased to be, it seems. Couple questions of my own, since WotLK is pushing my current PC:

1. Is it overkill to go for an Intel X58/Core i7 processor combo if you don't see yourself going for SLI?

2. Heck, are even Quad Core Core 2 Duo processors overkill?

3. Who makes the best Intel-chipset mobos that handle LGA775 CPUs this days, if I decide to go the Core 2 Duo route?

4. This looks suitably delicious, but I think even with one video card it still might be a bit much for playing mainly WoW on it.

Keep in mind, I'm currently using my 4-year old 2.8e P4 with Geforce 6800GT on my Abit IC7-MAX3 with 2 GB of PC3200, running XP SP3.

Blindy.
posted 12-09-2008 07:16:16 AM
Pretty much any new multi-core processor is overkill. They are all ridiculously powerful and you'll have more than enough speed to play games into the far future.

Concern yourself and your money more with the hard drive, video card, and RAM. these are the things that will effect you the most, and there area where spending more money will give you a longer service life.

Alidane
Urinary Tract Infection
posted 12-09-2008 12:03:28 PM
quote:
Mightion Defensor posted

My favorite motherboard make, Abit, has ceased to be, it seems. Couple questions of my own, since WotLK is pushing my current PC:

1. Is it overkill to go for an Intel X58/Core i7 processor combo if you don't see yourself going for SLI?

2. Heck, are even Quad Core Core 2 Duo processors overkill?

3. Who makes the best Intel-chipset mobos that handle LGA775 CPUs this days, if I decide to go the Core 2 Duo route?

4. This looks suitably delicious, but I think even with one video card it still might be a bit much for playing mainly WoW on it.

Keep in mind, I'm currently using my 4-year old 2.8e P4 with Geforce 6800GT on my Abit IC7-MAX3 with 2 GB of PC3200, running XP SP3.

1) Arguably, though IIRC Intel's going to be sticking with the 1366 socket for a while, so it may not be a bad investment. DDR3 isn't that expensive but you'll pay a premium for the CPU and chipset at this point.

2) Most applications don't scale very well with # of cores yet (excluding high-end rendering and number-crunching apps).

3) Eaglelake variety of your choosing. Intel P45 seems popular.

4) Fuck, I hate PCs.

Mightion Defensor
posted 12-11-2008 09:26:17 PM
If only I had 1500 dollars...

Time to start saving... after Christmas.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: