EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Fable II
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 10-21-2008 05:17:36 PM
Looking at some ads on various webpages, I assume it came out today in the US?

First impressions?

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 10-21-2008 05:18:50 PM
I have to wait until Friday due to some stupid unspoken law that games can only come out on Fridays in the UK.

Damn yoooooou.

Willias
Pancake
posted 10-21-2008 06:37:05 PM
apparently the co-op part is balls

also, the game isn't much longer than Fable 1

That's all I know about it so far.

Willias fucked around with this message on 10-21-2008 at 06:37 PM.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 10-21-2008 06:37:31 PM
Everyone I've talked to (and Ars Technica) really like it

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/games/fable-2-review.ars

quote:
Fable II can be summed up with the following Chinese proverb:

The journey is the reward.

Though there is plenty to see and do in the game, it's all the asides, the flower-smelling rather than the flower-picking, that prove to be compelling and not so much the main quest and the end goal. As though it were a fantasy-based Grand Theft Auto title or even something like Oblivion, much of the fun in Fable II is made by the player, and completing the story isn't where the real rewards from the game are reaped. The game plays how you want it to play, more so than most as a result of the numerous complex systems at work in the game world, and your decision to plow through the story and to skip getting married or playing the business game or augmenting weapons will vastly change your play experience.

To opt out of any of these other endeavors is to miss the very essence of Fable II. So little of the game is forced on the player, and it's incredibly easy to miss out on the content that's right there waiting to be discovered. As a result of the game's morality and character development systems, there will surely be content that's glossed over or inaccessible. This is a game that warrants multiple play-throughs and heading off the beaten path at every possible moment.

Kegwen fucked around with this message on 10-21-2008 at 06:42 PM.

nem-x
posted 10-21-2008 07:03:53 PM
Steven Steve
posted 10-21-2008 07:48:27 PM
quote:
Willias's fortune cookie read:
apparently the co-op part is balls

That's all I know about it so far.

So wait, is the coop good?

"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 10-21-2008 08:35:20 PM
quote:
Willias said:

I thought Fable 1 was a decent length if you did all the side-quests and shit too.

If you just run through it, yeah, it's short.

Willias
Pancake
posted 10-21-2008 09:56:42 PM
quote:
Steven Steve had this to say about Pirotess:
So wait, is the coop good?

Well...

Apparently joining someone else's game world means that you don't actually play as your character, and are instead given a "henchman" that has preset looks and a preset weapon. However, the henchmen do have all of your character's normal stats, abilities, and spells, and the exp and money you gain as the henchman are carried over to your normal character.

So if you just wanted to run around in someone else's game world, and don't care about actually showing off your character, then it's okay. On the other hand, if you were hoping that co-op was going to be some huge elaborate feature instead of an afterthought, then you'll probably be disappointed with it.

quote:
I thought Fable 1 was a decent length if you did all the side-quests and shit too.

I'm pretty sure that Fable 1, even with side quests and demon doors and crap, wss somewhere around 10 to 12 hours. That's pretty short for a game that labels itself as an RPG.

Nina
posted 10-21-2008 09:58:18 PM
quote:
Willias had this to say about pies:
a game that labels itself as an RPG.

Pretty sure that term is too pedestrian for Molyneux. His game is about love and emotion, didn't you hear?

And yes, although this is sarcasm, there is a considerable amount of truth in that Molyneux doesn't really give a shit about labels or length, so long as the end result is close to his lofty goals.

Nina fucked around with this message on 10-21-2008 at 10:03 PM.

Azymyth
Not gay; just weird
posted 10-21-2008 10:10:40 PM
Question: How do we access the prizes won from Pub Games to your Fable 2 character? The instruction manual makes it sound like they'll magically appear on your character but they don't.
I suffer from CRS: Can't Remember Shit.

Sig pic done by the very talented SJen!

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 10-21-2008 10:11:00 PM
I trust Ars Technica's endorsement of the game. I usually agree with their assessments. I hope to check it out soon. I never played the first Fable, though, so I'm probably missing the context for the bitterness people feel about Molyneux.
Alidane
Urinary Tract Infection
posted 10-21-2008 10:14:28 PM
Fable was fun, but... well, let's just say this: I rented it and Ninja Gaiden. I played Fable for a day, Ninja Gaiden for the rest of the week.

Won't be purchasing it until it's cheap.

Steven Steve
posted 10-22-2008 06:15:42 AM
The dog... is your HUD!

*applause*

"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Azakias
Never wore the pants, thus still wields the power of unused (_|_)
posted 10-22-2008 01:40:50 PM
I enjoyed it. It is prett fun so far and some of the things I hear the random citizens say made me laugh out loud. I was furthering my level in one of the (rather boring) careers (blacksmith) which is just a timed button mashing game when I heard a little girl say "If I hold my breath for thirty seconds...I see funny things." or something like that.

The voice actors are much the same as the previous game, but the voice acting is better, in my opinion. There's more to marrying than just having an npc wandering around your house. You can have kids now and you have to actually provide for your family.

Money isnt hard to get. You gain profits from whatever business you own every five minutes whether you are playing or not, so chances are I will be pretty rich by the time I play again tonight.

Monsters and such look a lot better now. Hobbes, for instance, no longer look like Mr. Potato Head with legs now. They actually look kinda mean. And the cities are bigger and the economies are better defined.

I only played for a couple hours but so far, the impression is favorable. Perhaps not breaking molds, but good times nonetheless.

"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 10-22-2008 03:24:20 PM
quote:
Azakias said:
The voice actors are much the same as the previous game, but the voice acting is better, in my opinion.

Stephen Fry.

STEPHEN FUCKING FRY.

I'd buy this game for that alone.

Azymyth
Not gay; just weird
posted 10-22-2008 04:52:13 PM
I'm still amused Kreia from Knights of the Old Republic II is your spiritual guide.

Nina
posted 10-22-2008 04:59:04 PM
what.
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 10-22-2008 05:08:20 PM
quote:
Azymyth said:
I'm still amused Kreia from Knights of the Old Republic II is your spiritual guide.

I think that's Zoë Wanamaker.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 10-22-2008 05:51:45 PM
How many sports bras and/or poverty-stricken peasants are in this game
Azymyth
Not gay; just weird
posted 10-22-2008 06:15:39 PM
quote:
Mortious had this to say about Reading Rainbow:
I think that's Zoë Wanamaker.

Ah yes. She listed in the credits in the manual. They still sound similar and Teresa's look just screams Gypsy Kreia.

Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 10-27-2008 04:18:10 PM
co-op sucks the mighty ass.
Nina
posted 10-27-2008 04:29:22 PM
pray elaborate
Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 10-27-2008 05:10:52 PM
It's like this, friends.

You load up the game, then hit up your friends list. If they have a little curved arrow next to "Fable II" on your friends list, you can invite them to join a session, or join theirs (inside the game options, you can turn this stuff on/off).

Now, when someone joins you, you get a little slider bar for experience and another for gold. You can decide who gets what percentage of each. It's defaulted to 50/50. An important note is that this also affects any rent you accumulate during the session from your properties. So if you get 3k every 5 minutes from your rent, then each of you get 1.5k, at 50% sharing, etc.

There's two options for the joining player. They can either pick a premade Good Male, Good Female, Neutral Male, Neutral Female, Evil Male, or Evil Female and then select a melee weapon and a ranged weapon (default selections). If they select this option, they have a duplicate of the Will powers and stats that your character has. When the session ends, anything they earned goes to you, since they're not their own character. This could lead to infinite XP if they join, sacrifice all their skills for xp, then quit. You don't lose your skills and you get all that xp.

Or, they can hit Y and select one of their saved characters and it'll default one of the 6 (listed above) archtypes that is closest to their own character and have THEIR Will powers and stats, but they can still select a melee and ranged weapon to play with. When they quit out, any money, experience, and renown they gained go with them back to their save. You could use this to give a newbie character a lot of gold and experience for their game by letting them come in and milk you for gold and xp.

So all that aside, you have one big glaring issue when playing. You lose all control of your camera and cannot rotate to look around, so it's hard to get around objects on-screen. Running around towers and stairs and such is a pain in the ass unless you're both running almost side by side so the camera will spin with you both. Otherwise it's like trying to play Gauntlet or something. If you get too far away, you both just run in place and can't move around. The guest can hit the Back button to teleport to you, at least.

You can't do jobs or pub games or anything like that. The guest can't shop or do anything other than kill things, really.

I'd be cool with all the crap above if each player could have their own screen and control their camera as if they were playing in solo mode.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 10-27-2008 05:27:02 PM
This is still the best game ever and I'll tell you why.

I'm a cross-dressing pirate captain called Dumpling.

Case closed.

Nina
posted 10-27-2008 05:34:02 PM
quote:
Bajah had this to say about pies:
(words)

So it really is as bad as people have been saying. Oh well, I'll still enjoy the single player.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 10-30-2008 06:21:41 AM
Is it just me.. or does the story feel rushed?

Fable 1 felt more immersive, but that may be because I've lost the "golden sight" when I look at games these days, I've become terribly jaded.

nem-x
posted 10-30-2008 06:27:56 AM
Azymyth
Not gay; just weird
posted 10-30-2008 06:56:51 AM
I dunno. I've found the immersion comes from the ability to not focus on the main story.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 10-30-2008 07:00:18 AM
I seem to have married a slut.

The "wants sex" note never clears.

Mightion Defensor
posted 10-30-2008 10:24:57 PM
quote:
Mortious wrote their words upon the rocks;
I seem to have married a slut.

The "wants sex" note never clears.

I may have to add this game to my Christmas list.

Nina
posted 10-30-2008 11:49:37 PM
quote:
This one time, at Mightion Defensor camp:
I may have to add this game to my Christmas list.

Be sure to sign this guy's petition, it appears relevant to your interests.

Nina fucked around with this message on 10-30-2008 at 11:49 PM.

Mightion Defensor
posted 10-31-2008 12:56:33 AM
quote:
It has been ordained by Primus, that there will be a Chosen One who will use the Matrix to "light our darkest hour." That darkest hour may come sooner if Nina keeps posting things like this:
Be sure to sign this guy's petition, it appears relevant to your interests.

I haven't bought comic books in so long.... I have no idea who's available and bangable.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 10-31-2008 08:04:12 AM
Is there only one damn furniture store in the entire of Albion or what?

I'm having a hell of a time decorating just my house, never mind all the others I rent out.

Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 10-31-2008 08:50:52 AM
quote:
This is what Mortious is doing. This is what I want Mortious to do:
Is there only one damn furniture store in the entire of Albion or what?

I'm having a hell of a time decorating just my house, never mind all the others I rent out.

One in Bowerstone, one in Bloodstone.

Azymyth
Not gay; just weird
posted 10-31-2008 12:24:22 PM
Neither of them ever seem to have any stock, at least for me.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 10-31-2008 02:02:10 PM
quote:
Azymyth said:
Neither of them ever seem to have any stock, at least for me.

I'm on my way to Bloodstone for the first time now, but Bowerstone never has any stock. Ever.

I think it's a bug.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 11-02-2008 02:20:05 PM
If you choose the sacrifice ending you lose your dog and cannot complete any dig-related quest afterwards. Since there are a few dig-related quests that happen AFTER the ending, it breaks the game.

Fuck that shit. I was going for completionist. THANKS LIONHEAD.

Mortious fucked around with this message on 11-02-2008 at 02:23 PM.

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 11-02-2008 11:23:27 PM
You expected a Lionhead game not to have some annoyingly glaring flaw?
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: