EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Economic Crisis Thread
Mr. Parcelan
posted 09-30-2008 05:22:05 AM
I'm not firm enough on the facts to make a comment, but I'd like to hear your thoughts on it.

Are we doomed?

Is the world doomed?

Is it a large overreaction?

nem-x
posted 09-30-2008 05:44:55 AM
nem-x
posted 09-30-2008 05:45:23 AM
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 09-30-2008 06:23:00 AM
quote:
And now, we sprinkle nem-x liberally with Old Spice!
[xIMG]http://www.doommovie.com/images/DOOM_splash_delivery2_02.jpg[/IMG]

Now photoshop parce's head inside Karl Urban's huge mouth.

Anyway, we're not doomed. People with useful skillsets should still be able to find work, though it might more difficult and take longer to do so. It's the kids fresh out of college with a BA in Psychology who are fucked.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Pvednes
Lynched
posted 09-30-2008 06:37:29 AM
Today was a bit of a punch in the balls--but market crashes aren't really that bad unless you're planning on retiring anytime soon: It's like a x%-off sale on equity. It's the 50% to 99% off closing down sales that get you.

I think there's a good chance that we're all going to see a proper full-on global depression, though. I've no idea what those feel like, but I expect they suck outrageously.

Maradon!
posted 09-30-2008 07:24:32 AM
Don't forget, thursday Democrats falsely announced that the bill was agreed upon and the market jumped 300 points.

Friday toward the end of the day, everyone discovered that the bill was not agreed upon, and so naturally those people who were banking on a bill on thursday would pull their money out on monday. The rest of it is the ensuing panic, but represents a pretty average market drop.

It just goes to show you the extent to which perception dominates economics.

Regarding the mortgage meltdown, it's a funny story actually: The blame for our present situation can be traced back to a typo in a report submitted to the house and senate in 1992.

Pvednes
Lynched
posted 09-30-2008 08:40:34 AM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about Robocop:
Don't forget, thursday Democrats falsely announced that the bill was agreed upon and the market jumped 300 points.

Friday toward the end of the day, everyone discovered that the bill was not agreed upon, and so naturally those people who were banking on a bill on thursday would pull their money out on monday. The rest of it is the ensuing panic, but represents a pretty average market drop.

It just goes to show you the extent to which perception dominates economics.

Regarding the mortgage meltdown, it's a funny story actually: The blame for our present situation can be traced back to a typo in a report submitted to the house and senate in 1992.

That little rally doesn't exist in isolation. Bear in mind that the DJIA was 4000 points higher this time last year, and still has plenty of plummeting left to do before it's back around the long term growth trend.

Even after that, there's still room to sink. If it can go as far above the trend as it was these past years, it can certainly go below it too.

Maradon!
posted 09-30-2008 10:01:59 AM
quote:
Pvednesing:
That little rally doesn't exist in isolation. Bear in mind that the DJIA was 4000 points higher this time last year, and still has plenty of plummeting left to do before it's back around the long term growth trend.

Even after that, there's still room to sink. If it can go as far above the trend as it was these past years, it can certainly go below it too.

Oh, I didn't mean to imply that the market was not in the shitter right now, only that the 777 point drop that everybody is making a fuss over didn't exactly constitute black friday.

Once someone does something about mark to market, the good mortgages out there, which are the vast majority of them, will be able to be sold at their real asset value, instead of the real asset value of the few bad mortgages out there.

Part of the problem is that Fannie, Freddie, and a lot of the other major banking institutions have become a luxury resort for aging or irrelevant politicians. Everyone from Barny Frank's ex lover to Chelsea Clinton goes there to rake in a heap of cash every once in a while, and nobody wants to endanger that, so horrible anachronistic rules like mark to market and the Glass Stiegel act are radioactive.

You've heard lots of people talking about what to do to fix this, but have you heard anyone talking about what caused it, and what they might change to keep it from happening again? Because I haven't.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 09-30-2008 10:15:25 AM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about Tron:
You've heard lots of people talking about what to do to fix this, but have you heard anyone talking about what caused it, and what they might change to keep it from happening again? Because I haven't.

Isn't that Obama's entire platform? Isn't he catching flak from the right for talking about fixing the root problem instead of focusing on the short-term fix? He's oversimplifying it because that's what politicians do regardless of how well informed they are, but he seems to be on the right track.

edit: avoid your template "but he's a lefty so he's wrong" in your answer

Kegwen fucked around with this message on 09-30-2008 at 10:16 AM.

Maradon!
posted 09-30-2008 10:20:05 AM
In 1992 a study was furnished to the house and senate. The subject of the study was prevalent trends of racism in mortgage lending practices. One fact in the study moved the legislative to take action: A white man with assets of $100,000 was given a $60,000 loan, but a black man with assets of $100,000 was denied.

The trouble with that fact is that it contained a typographical error - the actual data that the study was based on compared a white man with assets of $100,000 to a black man with assets of $10,000 both trying for a $60,000 loan.

Whether any deliberate purpose can be assigned to this "typo", the result was one of the hidden success stories of the Clinton era.

quote:
LA Times, May 31, 1999

In 1992, Congress mandated that Fannie and Freddie increase their purchases of mortgages for low-income and medium-income borrowers. Operating under that requirement, Fannie Mae, in particular, has been aggressive and creative in stimulating minority gains. It has aimed extensive advertising campaigns at minorities that explain how to buy a home and opened three dozen local offices to encourage lenders to serve these markets. Most importantly, Fannie Mae has agreed to buy more loans with very low down payments–or with mortgage payments that represent an unusually high percentage of a buyer’s income. That’s made banks willing to lend to lower-income families they once might have rejected.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 09-30-2008 at 10:23 AM.

Maradon!
posted 09-30-2008 10:22:35 AM
quote:
Over the mountain, in between the ups and downs, I ran into Kegwen who doth quote:
Isn't that Obama's entire platform? Isn't he catching flak from the right for talking about fixing the root problem instead of focusing on the short-term fix? He's oversimplifying it because that's what politicians do regardless of how well informed they are, but he seems to be on the right track.

edit: avoid your template "but he's a lefty so he's wrong" in your answer

I have no idea what Obama has been proposing to fix this.

If you know, please share.

Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 09-30-2008 10:41:07 AM
What we're seeing is mostly the housing bubble popping.

The fact of the matter is, most of the people who are losing their houses aren't losing them because their exotic mortgage ballooned, they're losing them because they just got too big of a mortgage for them to afford.

When my wife and I went to get qualified, we got qualified for $450,000. But instead, we bought a house worth $175,000, because it's what we knew we could afford comfortably on just my salary. I remember thinking at the time, that if I wasn't good with numbers, and I didn't know what we could afford, my basic instinct would have been to just trust the bank- after all, why would they tell me I could afford $450,000 and sell me on a mortgage and house that I couldn't possibly afford? And the fact of the matter is, in order to afford a $450,000, I'd have to drastically change every other aspect of my life style, and I'd pretty much just have enough money to eat Kraft Dinner every night by candlelight.

So as I see it, it's a joint issue. On one hand, you've got banks not being very careful about the amount of money they approve people for, and on the other hand, you've got people not being very smart about the amount of money they are taking mortgages out on.

But there are people who are losing their houses because their exotic mortgage ballooned as well. And there are people losing their houses because they lost their job. And there are people losing their houses because they got themselves too deep in credit card debt and their rates just spiked and their gas and energy prices are though the roof. And there are people losing their houses because their interest only 5 year loan is up and their house value has fallen so far that they can't sell it, nor can they afford to re-finance and take the loss.

There is no single cause that you can pin on either party for our housing market being in the shit hole it's in. It's a vortex of suck.

Maradon's point is valid, and encouraging FM and FM to take on riskier mortgages did have an impact. But so did the bills passed in 99 by a republican congress that made these crazy ass exotic mortgages possible. And so did the lack of regulation on wall street that permitted banking companies to lend money to themselves. It's a very very big issue.

In order to get us out of this shit hole, a few things need to happen.
1- Foreclosures need to stop. They are causing housing values to plummet and making it impossible for both banks and homeowners to get the amount of money out of their house that they need when they sell or auction.
2- These exotic loans need to stop. Interest only loans alone are responsible for fucking up most of the higher rent/more desirable housing markets nation wide, as people need to sell at a significant gain in order to afford the costs associated with selling a home, let alone to move up to a bigger/better house. When you have that much upward pressure, even from minority of the houses on the market, it causes inflation on the whole thing.
3- Banks who did not lend money prudently, including FM&FM, need to be punished, hard. These bailouts should extend only to the point where people are still capable of getting a mortgage at a reasonable rate, and stop there. We can't over correct the market or we won't allow the housing bubble to deflate as far as it needs to to prevent any future damage.

Steven Steve
posted 09-30-2008 10:50:41 AM

Basically the problem is that rich people are being crybabies, as usual. "Plz save us guys, how will we make enough money to sleep on a different bed of bills every day?"

Also we'll never be able to get loans again but who cares right guys? Right?

"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 09-30-2008 11:16:15 AM
quote:
And I was all like 'Oh yeah?' and Maradon! was all like:
I have no idea what Obama has been proposing to fix this.

If you know, please share.

This is a good question. A quick glance at his site doesn't reveal anything, but I didn't look very hard.

I hope I hear more substance behind the lipservice he's paid to fixing the root problem. I'd also like to hear something from him beyond his whole abandoning the "failed policies of the past" thing. He's way oversimplifying it.

I get the feeling that he has a decent grasp on the situation, but his advisors are telling him to keep it simple in debates and stump speeches. Or perhaps they're telling him to avoid talking about it until the short-term crisis is averted. Maybe he doesn't really have a firm idea! Only time will tell, I guess

Blindy.
posted 09-30-2008 11:28:18 AM
I have serious doubts that anyone, McCain or Obama could just step right in and fix this right up - or that they should.

The best possible outcome is an easing of the correction so that it causes the least amount of havok possible. The banks that messed up need to be allowed to fail. The people who were idiots need to be allowed to lose their houses and declare bankruptcy. The only role of the government in this is to keep the impact of these failures as low on the people who didn't screw up as is reasonable, while still allowing the aforementioned correction to take place.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 09-30-2008 11:31:41 AM
I'd agree with that. Government intervention seems to be necessary to whatever extent allows for mostly normal business operations (loans to businesses and qualified consumers, etc), but the problem should be kept on the back of the private sector as much as possible.
Steven Steve
posted 09-30-2008 11:42:23 AM
It won't be either McCain or Obama fixing anything of course. The Fed and government in general are independent enough of the President that we probably have just about the same odds, especially in the long run, of recovering from the crisis with either candidate.

But yes, I'm all for punishing the failing banks. Bitches ain't shit.

"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Maradon!
posted 09-30-2008 08:52:49 PM
If you guys think this is bad, just wait until everyone figures out that SSI isn't solvent.

$700 billion in bad assets? Because a large number of debtors can't make their mortgage payments regularly enough?

Try $50 trillion in unfunded outlays because a large number of people can't pay into the system because they haven't been born yet.

These are the fruits of "mixed economic systems."

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 09-30-2008 at 08:55 PM.

Pvednes
Lynched
posted 10-01-2008 03:06:21 AM
It looks as if they're going to try again soon, with a tax cut attached.

Cue the return of most of the money lost yesterday.

Pvednes fucked around with this message on 10-01-2008 at 03:10 AM.

Maradon!
posted 10-02-2008 07:31:07 AM
Ironically, 700 billion is just shy of all the money we've spent in Iraq and Afghanistan since 2002
Pvednes
Lynched
posted 10-02-2008 07:38:21 AM
I'm very much reminded of the Looters from Atlas Shrugged.
Blindy.
posted 10-02-2008 08:16:42 AM
quote:
I bet you never expected Maradon! to say:
Ironically, 700 billion is just shy of all the money we've spent in Iraq and Afghanistan since 2002

So what's the chance of us getting the money we spent on Iraq and Afghanistan back?

We're buying mortgages, we're not handing them money for nothing. Yes, the price tag is big. Yes, our return on investment is not going to be a huge money maker, but we should get at least our initial investment back.

Pvednes
Lynched
posted 10-02-2008 08:27:04 AM
quote:
Blindy. had this to say about Pirotess:
So what's the chance of us getting the money we spent on Iraq and Afghanistan back?

We're buying mortgages, we're not handing them money for nothing. Yes, the price tag is big. Yes, our return on investment is not going to be a huge money maker, but we should get at least our initial investment back.

Let me put it this way: Would you put your money in financials right now?

Blindy.
posted 10-02-2008 08:37:19 AM
quote:
Pvednes stopped lurking long enough to say:
Let me put it this way: Would you put your money in financials right now?

Well, that's a good point, but it's still not the same thing as a complete loss.

Pvednes
Lynched
posted 10-02-2008 08:44:09 AM
Thing is, they're putting your money in financials for you, since they figure you can afford to take one for the team.
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 10-02-2008 09:43:05 AM
Socialized losses, privatized profits. That's my America.
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Pvednes
Lynched
posted 10-02-2008 10:25:20 AM
If you divide the bailout by the number of tax returns, you'll see it's around $5000 from every American taxpayer.
Blindy.
posted 10-02-2008 03:30:56 PM
China's gonna be paying for it anyway.
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 10-03-2008 03:21:53 PM
quote:
Channeling the spirit of Sherlock Holmes, Pvednes absently fondled Watson and proclaimed:
If you divide the bailout by the number of tax returns, you'll see it's around $5000 from every American taxpayer.

Perhaps, but the overall cost of not bailing out--distasteful as a bailout is--is expenentially more.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Blindy.
posted 10-03-2008 04:17:58 PM
Also- Maradon calls The Economist a liberal rag in 3... 2...

And before you go there...

quote:
A total of 142 responded, of whom 46% identified themselves as Democrats, 10% as Republicans and 44% as neither. This skewed party breakdown may reflect academia’s Democratic tilt, or possibly Democrats’ greater propensity to respond. Still, even if we exclude respondents with a party identification, Mr Obama retains a strong edge.

Blindy. fucked around with this message on 10-03-2008 at 04:20 PM.

Noxhil
Pancake
posted 10-03-2008 06:13:49 PM
I honestly did not expect that from The Economist.
Inferno-Spirit
Sports Advocate
posted 10-03-2008 06:49:48 PM
I'd much rather see the numbers taken only from the "neither" grouping and/or an equal number of party supporters on each side.
"He lets the last Hungarian go, and he goes running. He waits until his wife and kids are in the ground and he goes after the rest of the mob. He kills their kids, he kills their wives, he kills their parents and their parents' friends. He burns down the houses they grew up in and the stores they work in, he kills people that owe them money. And like that he was gone. Underground. No one has ever seen him again. He becomes a myth, a spook story that criminals tell their kids at night. 'If you rat on your pop, Keyser Soze will get you.' And nobody really ever believes." - Roger 'Verbal' Kint, The Usual Suspects
Zair
The Imp
posted 10-03-2008 06:55:16 PM
quote:
Inferno-Spirit got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:
I'd much rather see the numbers taken only from the "neither" grouping and/or an equal number of party supporters on each side.

You can infer that pretty easily. A lot of the responses are 10%~ in McCain's favor, and 10% of the respondants identified as Republicans....

Blindy.
posted 10-03-2008 07:13:08 PM
The only thing that is not clear is the 1-5 scale rating.

If 70% of the votes for McCain were less than favorable, and only 40% of the respondents were Democrats, you can assume 30% of the unidentified voters put McCain less than favorable.

And since around 15?% voted Favorably for McCain, and 10% were Republicans, then 5% of unidentified voters put McCain as favorable.

So that means that 65% of unidentifieds voted McCain average.

If you do the same thing with Obama, you end up with...

6% unfavorable
90% average
4% favorable

And for ease of comparison- for McCain
30% unfavorable
65% average
5% favorable

Which gives Obama a measurable lead. Of course, this is only if you assume that the party members strictly voted in a partisan way.

Maradon!
posted 10-03-2008 07:22:31 PM
The Economist isn't a liberal rag, but academic economists these days are generally fed a strict diet of keynesian theory.

This is all well and good if you consider keynesian economics valid and ignore the fact that it's been a disaster every time it's been applied, and even managed to perpetuate the great depression nine years longer than it needed to last.

Unlike Keynes, though, most rational people consider prosperity to be the proper end of an economic system, and not forced social equalization, aka "fairness".

In short, a great many people call themselves economists and hold economics degrees when they are not economists at all, but social workers. The idea that Obama would be "good" for the economy depends on your idea of "good". If destroying industry and giving handouts to special interest groups is your idea of good, then even I do not disagree that Obama would be good for the economy.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 10-03-2008 at 07:24 PM.

Blindy.
posted 10-03-2008 07:45:27 PM
Just to clarify- they disagree with you, therefore they must be the kind of economic researchers who are wrong.

I mean, everyone knows supply side economics never let you down.

Blindy. fucked around with this message on 10-03-2008 at 07:47 PM.

Maradon!
posted 10-03-2008 07:48:57 PM
quote:
Over the mountain, in between the ups and downs, I ran into Blindy. who doth quote:
Just to clarify- they disagree with you, therefore they must be the kind of economic researchers who are wrong.

No, they agree with Obama, who openly agrees with Keynes, and so they probably also agree with Keynes.

The history of keynesism speaks for itself.

quote:
I mean, everyone knows supply side economics never let you down.

They don't.

Maradon!
posted 10-03-2008 08:11:15 PM
Eventually you're going to figure out that Obama and folks like him don't represent your ideals, either.

It just seems so wrong to cut taxes on wealthy, but if you're dedicated to truth you will eventually realize that you can't take water from a spring, the spring makes the damn water. Rich people create the damn money and the more they make the more everyone has, so the best thing is to get out of their damn way.

That is where keyenes and every other socialist fails: They like the products so much that they trample production to get them to everyone. They cut open the golden goose and just assume that everyone will be happy forever passing around the golden eggs that currently exist and never any more.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 10-03-2008 10:30:05 PM
Maradon has begun work on Rapture to escape from the hell of mixed markets
Maradon!
posted 10-03-2008 10:33:14 PM
Bioshock was basically libertarian pornography

Plus mutant horrors, but those are not endemic to libertarianism

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 10-03-2008 at 10:35 PM.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: