EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: The Force Unleashed (360)
Mightion Defensor
posted 09-17-2008 05:06:05 PM
So, I picked up The Force Unleashed for my 360 yesterday, and I pretty much played it all day; though I'm only at the beginning of the third mission in act 2.

My thoughts so far, in a very particular order:

1. V-SYNC! Dear god, the screen tearing I noted in the demo is still there. I'm sure Lucasarts is very proud of their graphics engine, but darn it; what's I'd do for a vsync toggle or a capped framerate at 60 fps. I noticed this in Dead Rising, but that was an admitted bug. Two years ago.

2. The way the camera zooms WAY out during boss fights is annoying as hell sometimes, especially against the second boss.

3. The third boss is a nasty, ass-kicking red-skinned bitch who will make your life a living hell, but at least she ends it quick. The game actually autosaves between stage one and stage two of the fight with her, probably as an indication of how tough she is.

4. I also hate it how sometimes your controls stop responding when certain enemies knock you down, and then you get back up, giving the enemy another free shot to start the cycle over.

5. Getting stuck in the scenery WHEN JUMPING DOWN A HOLE is inexcusable.

6. Granted, I haven't finished the game yet, but if the story ends the way I'm afraid it might, then I will be officially convinced that George Lucas is a hack that allows people that write games for him to change canon however they want or how he dictates.

7. Charging Jawas with Force Lightning and throwing them and making them Lightning Grenades is more fun than should be legal.

8. There are no other worthy lightsaber color crystals once you find the Unstable Red color crystal.

9. There are some really clever puzzles when it comes to getting some of the Force Holocrons - the one in the top part of the TIE Fighter factory comes to mind. The engine may be a tearing mess at times, but sliding TIE fighter solar panels to make platforms to jump from was brilliant.

Despite all my complaints, the game is actually darned fun. A lot of my issues could actually be fixed with a patch, however unlikely. Just don't expect technical perfection until if/when they patch it.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 09-17-2008 05:33:05 PM
The patch is unlikely because Lucasarts canned the whole team after they finished the game. They're getting out of business of developing games in-house

edit: oh woops maybe I misremembered http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2008/06/10/lucasarts-internal -development-not-going-to-stop

Kegwen fucked around with this message on 09-17-2008 at 05:35 PM.

Sentow, I Guess
Pancake
posted 09-17-2008 06:34:16 PM
It feels like this game has been in development since dinosaurs ruled the earth, and yet I finished the whole thing in a day.

The game in general, and the story especially, could really have benefited from it being a few hours longer.

Well... at least there are some more unlockables to get.

[EDIT] I can't explain this very well, but I would have liked to see the force powers work into your combos more... I dunno, organically? Instead of having seperate combo and force powers to purchase, those combos should be unlocked at the same time as the powers and gain similar benefits to those powers' upgrades.

For example, you start the game with Force Push, so you can do any attack combos that use force push right from the start. When you upgrade Push so that it can be charged, those Push combos become chargeable, too.

I can't quite put my finger on why I dislike the system as it's implemented. Maybe I just want to have a super-powerful, chargeable Saber Sling that propels Stormtroopers into space.

Man, it's really awkward when my edits are longer than my original posts.

Sentow, I Guess fucked around with this message on 09-17-2008 at 06:40 PM.

KIERKEGAARD

Sigpic shamelessly stolen from Kate Beaton.

Bricktop
Old and Gay
posted 09-19-2008 08:16:54 PM
quote:
Everyone wondered WTF when Mightion Defensor wrote:
6. Granted, I haven't finished the game yet, but if the story ends the way I'm afraid it might, then I will be officially convinced that George Lucas is a hack that allows people that write games for him to change canon however they want or how he dictates.

You fight Darth Vader and defeat him after they capture all the future Rebel leaders(Bail, Mon Mothma, Leia, and a few others), and the Emperor shows up telling you to finish off Vader and take his side as you were always meant to, mirroring the whole Vader/Palpatine/Luke scene. At which point one of the Rebels jumps in and attacks the Emperor, who starts hitting him with lightning and Bail yells at you to save him, and you look from the Emperor to Vader and back again just like Vader did in that scene, and then you attack the Emperor and fight him. After you defeat him you tell all the others to escape and you'll be right behind them after you finish off Vader and the Emperor. As they're arguing with you not to kill them(I don't get it, either. Wasn't the whole purpose of the Rebel Alliance to defeat and overthrow the Emperor? How did they plan on doing that without killing him?) a bunch of Stormtroopers show up, and all the Rebels run, and the Emperor shows he was playing possum and hits you with some force lightning. You block it with your hands and start trying to force it back to him as the others escape. Eventually after they all get away the Emperor overpowers you and kills you, and Vader and the Emperor stand over you and talk about how you were supposed to be the one who hunted down the Rebels and kill them and blah blah blah

Cool Hand Luke fucked around with this message on 09-19-2008 at 08:17 PM.

A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent.
Sentow, I Guess
Pancake
posted 09-19-2008 11:21:13 PM
quote:
So quoth Cool Hand Luke:
You fight Darth Vader and defeat him after they capture all the future Rebel leaders(Bail, Mon Mothma, Leia, and a few others), and the Emperor shows up telling you to finish off Vader and take his side as you were always meant to, mirroring the whole Vader/Palpatine/Luke scene. At which point one of the Rebels jumps in and attacks the Emperor, who starts hitting him with lightning and Bail yells at you to save him, and you look from the Emperor to Vader and back again just like Vader did in that scene, and then you attack the Emperor and fight him. After you defeat him you tell all the others to escape and you'll be right behind them after you finish off Vader and the Emperor. As they're arguing with you not to kill them(I don't get it, either. Wasn't the whole purpose of the Rebel Alliance to defeat and overthrow the Emperor? How did they plan on doing that without killing him?) a bunch of Stormtroopers show up, and all the Rebels run, and the Emperor shows he was playing possum and hits you with some force lightning. You block it with your hands and start trying to force it back to him as the others escape. Eventually after they all get away the Emperor overpowers you and kills you, and Vader and the Emperor stand over you and talk about how you were supposed to be the one who hunted down the Rebels and kill them and blah blah blah

Well, to be fair, it was only Kota, the Jedi, arguing with the apprentice not to execute the Emperor; strike him down and your journey towards the Dark Side will be complete, and all that.

Still, that was one of the odder moments in the story.

Also, after that scene: The rebel leaders gather again and formalize their alliance. Princess Leia suggests they adopt a symbol to rally behind, and picks out the apprentice's family crest, in honor of his sacrifice for their cause. Also, Juno and Kota live, and while it's not in the game, PR0XY is eventually recovered, repaired, and rescinded to Juno's care.

What I want to know is how in the flying hell did Kota lose his connection to the Force? I'm assuming Lucasarts added that point for continuity's sake, since the Rebel Alliance presumably didn't have any Jedi in its number before Luke. Huh, come to think of it, Rebel Jedi would be pretty sweet. Damn it, Lucasarts!

KIERKEGAARD

Sentow, I Guess
Pancake
posted 09-21-2008 11:33:14 PM
Alternate Dark Side ending, obtained by ignoring Bail's plea to help Kota and jumping down to finish off Vader:

The Apprentice kills Vader (!) and confronts the Emperor, who gives the usual your journey towards the Dark Side is almost complete speech. He commands the Apprentice to kill the injured Kota, but at the last second, the Apprentice turns on the Emperor instead.

Unfortunately, the old man has detected a motif of betrayal and expects this move, letting him effortlessly defeat the Apprentice. Juno shows up to help, but the Emperor uses the Force to propel Rogue Shadow at the Apprentice. Harsh. The result is a cataclysmic wreck which kills all but two: the Emperor and the Apprentice. The Apprentice, grievously injured and weakened by the crash, has been rebuilt a la Vader and is made to serve the Emperor until a new, more powerful protege' comes along.

Suffice it to say the upbeat Star Wars theme does not play over the credits.

Sudden Gear Change: For laughs, use the X + A grapple against Jawas.

Y'know, the more I play this game, the more I like it.

KIERKEGAARD

Brahmin Bloodlust
High Priest of Drysart
posted 09-23-2008 02:28:17 AM
Funny thing about this game, in the 5 hours it took me to finish... I almost felt like someone stole 60 bucks from me.

Then I noticed I spent an additional 20 hours playing this game, just for the fun of throwing people around and finding any missed Holocrons.

I will say that the PS3 version did not suffer from any graphical tearing, maybe it was just a 360 issue? It was pretty smooth all the way through. Load times in the menus was frustrating

Overall, I like the game.

Most memorable moment was throwing debris at a lone storm trooper, and grabbing the same piece before it hit him. The trooper seemingly fainted. He didn't try to move out of the way, dive, cower... his knees bucked and he collapsed. I don't know if this was intended, but I laughed for quite a while when it happened.

I want to see a new Dark Forces/Jedi Knight game with this engine.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 09-23-2008 06:35:56 AM
quote:
Brahmin Bloodlust said:
I want to see a new Dark Forces/Jedi Knight game with this engine.

Fuck. Yes.

Come back Kyle Katarn, we miss your sassy comebacks and rogueish Jedi ways.

Mooj
Scorned Fanboy
posted 09-23-2008 09:06:44 PM
quote:
Mortious had this to say about (_|_):
Fuck. Yes.

Come back Kyle Katarn, we miss your sassy comebacks and rogueish Jedi ways.

nem-x
posted 09-24-2008 06:30:19 AM
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: