EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: A blast from the past: The Political Compass!
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 09-11-2008 02:14:04 PM
Take the test...again!

quote:
Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: -1.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.87

Sounds about right, though I don't come close to anyone famous.

And using the handy-dandy search function, I see that I've apparently become more liberal than I was five years ago (last time I took the test). Must be because I take the train to work.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Willias
Pancake
posted 09-11-2008 02:35:05 PM
Economic Left/Right: 0.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.28
Dr. Gee
Say it Loud, Say it Plowed!
posted 09-11-2008 03:00:56 PM
Economic Left/Right: -2.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.85

About the same on the economy scale, much more socially liberal! A lot of that probably comes from being an atheist.

Azakias
Never wore the pants, thus still wields the power of unused (_|_)
posted 09-11-2008 03:39:17 PM
Economic Left/Right: 5.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.10

....Is there something wrong with me? My numbers look weird compared to everyone else's.

"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
Captain Tarquinn
Don't Ask
posted 09-11-2008 04:05:14 PM
SEX

I'll take the test tomorrow.

"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."
`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 09-11-2008 04:38:11 PM
Economic Left/Right: -3.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.36
Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Razor
posted 09-11-2008 05:07:22 PM
Whee, I changed....
last time:
Economic Left/Right: -2.88
Authoritarian/Libertarian: -2.77

This time:
Economic Left/Right: 4.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.56

difference..... mostly because of my career path I think.

Astronomy is a passion...
Engineering is a love...
My job isn't a job, it's my career, and I love every minute of it: Observatory Superintendent
Monica
I've got an owie on my head :(
posted 09-11-2008 05:12:40 PM
Economic Left/Right: -4.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.49
nem-x
posted 09-11-2008 05:21:21 PM
Economic Left/Right: -1.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.18
Tegadil
Queen of the Smoofs
posted 09-11-2008 05:23:42 PM
Economic Left/Right: 2
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.9
Maradon!
posted 09-11-2008 06:45:41 PM
I never really noticed it before, but the metrics on this test are pretty meaningless.

You can't divorce social and economic beliefs. The same basic beliefs that validate social authoritarianism also validate economic totalitarianism and invalidate economic libertarianism, and vice-versa.

Two whole quadrants of this chart are flagrantly self-contradictory positions to hold.

These questions are pretty terrible, too

quote:
There is now a worrying fusion of information and entertainment.

This question holds two entirely separate ideas: That there is a fusion of information and entertainment, and that it is worrying. Which one am I agreeing or disagreeing with?

quote:
Controlling inflation is more important than controlling unemployment.

Since when do you have to choose between the two? To some extent one even causes the other.

quote:
A genuine free market requires restrictions on the ability of predator multinationals to create monopolies.

What exactly is considered a monopoly by this question? If this question were stripped of implication I would agree with it, but the people who say this sort of thing, phrased the way it is, generally consider any large business to be a monopoly to be destroyed.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 09-11-2008 at 06:46 PM.

Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 09-11-2008 06:59:27 PM
quote:
Maradon! isn't in Kansas anymore:
I never really noticed it before, but the metrics on this test are pretty meaningless.

You can't divorce social and economic beliefs. The same basic beliefs that validate social authoritarianism also validate economic totalitarianism and invalidate economic libertarianism, and vice-versa.

Two whole quadrants of this chart are flagrantly self-contradictory positions to hold.

These questions are pretty terrible, too

What exactly is considered a monopoly by this question? If this question were stripped of implication I would agree with it, but the people who say this sort of thing, phrased the way it is, generally consider any large business to be a monopoly to be destroyed.

Just go with the flow man, jeez.

Maradon!
posted 09-11-2008 07:10:54 PM
Every political position is an answer to one question: Do people own themselves?

There are only two ways to answer that question. Any midground or half-measure is self-contradictory.

Most people seem to be self-contradictory.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 09-11-2008 09:29:54 PM
I think the test told Maradon he was a liberal and now he's running around his apartment like Ace Venture when he found out he made out with a dude.
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Maradon!
posted 09-11-2008 09:33:28 PM
quote:
Over the mountain, in between the ups and downs, I ran into Karnaj who doth quote:
I think the test told Maradon he was a liberal and now he's running around his apartment like Ace Venture when he found out he made out with a dude.

haha, no, my little dot was about two lines shy of the most extreme lower right.

Ironically, this does make me a liberal, in the sense that the word was used prior to the FDR presidency.

I'm just saying it's stupid because it's stupid.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 09-11-2008 at 09:38 PM.

Maradon!
posted 09-11-2008 09:45:19 PM
lol, I just realized that they labeled the bottom left quadrant "voluntary collectivism" and the top left "state-imposed collectivism"

They left the right two quadrants unnamed, but if they are the opposites of the left two, I guess they would be "voluntary individualism" and "state-imposed individualism"

Voluntary collectivism? State-imposed individualism?

They basically went made my argument that two of the four quadrants are self-contradictory, only they didn't realize it.

Tegadil
Queen of the Smoofs
posted 09-11-2008 10:01:02 PM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about Robocop:
Voluntary collectivism?

Wouldn't voluntary collectivism be living on a commune or something else similarly hippy-like?

Tyewa Dawnsister
In Poverty
posted 09-11-2008 11:42:48 PM
Economic Left/Right: -1.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.64

About where I thought I would be.

"And God said: 'Let there be Satan, so people don't blame everything on me. And let there be lawyers, so people don't blame everything on Satan." - George Burns
Nina
posted 09-11-2008 11:48:14 PM
I wouldn't say they're mutually exclusive, Maradon. You can and do have a lot of Jesusfreaks who want the state to ban everything that contradicts religion and biblical morals, but don't want it to intervene in any economics or corporations. Just like you do have, like you say, people who don't want the state to intervene in any moral decisions, nor in any economics.

Oh, and personally:
Economic Left/Right: 3.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.25

Nina fucked around with this message on 09-11-2008 at 11:48 PM.

Maradon!
posted 09-12-2008 12:33:02 AM
quote:
x--NinaO-('-'Q) :
I wouldn't say they're mutually exclusive, Maradon. You can and do have a lot of Jesusfreaks who want the state to ban everything that contradicts religion and biblical morals, but don't want it to intervene in any economics or corporations.

Ah, but these viewpoints are not mutually exclusive, they're contradictory. It's entirely possible to hold both sets of beliefs, it's just inconsistent, as the two stances are in direct opposition to one another.

This is made possible by the fact that most people do not understand the reasons why they hold the positions they do, and so two political positions founded in contradictory core beliefs do not appear to contradict one another, because the person who holds them does not understand what those core beliefs are.

This is also, I believe, why most people react violently when their political positions are challenged.

quote:
Tegadiling:
Wouldn't voluntary collectivism be living on a commune or something else similarly hippy-like?

Voluntary collectivism is what such people are trying for, but all they end up attaining is the delusion of voluntary collectivism. Small, voluntary communes are made possible by the fact that they are floating in a sea of individualism. They import the products of that individualism and it sustains them. Countless historical case studies, from the Mayflower Compact to Zimbabwe, have proven that even small voluntary communes, when isolated, either do not remain voluntary or do not remain communes for very long.

The entire principle of collectivism is incompatible with the human race on a fundamental level. We can know no minds outside our own, and so we will forever be individuals. Individuals define themselves by the products of their individualism, and will invariably reject any system that seeks to deprive them of the rights to those products.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 09-12-2008 at 12:35 AM.

Pvednes
Lynched
posted 09-12-2008 02:57:12 AM
Mine:

Economic Left/Right: 7.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 2.10

What a difference a bit of education and maturity makes, eh?

Vernaltemptress
Withered and Alone
posted 09-12-2008 05:01:01 AM
For shits and giggles, here's my score.

-Your political compass
--Economic Left/Right: 0.50
--Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.77

I'm so middle of the road; I must be boring.

On a side note, I had the sense that the test was produced by British people and skewed towards putting nearly all of the American presidents and presidential candidates in the upper right quadrant. Sure enough, it is.

Obamanomics: spend, tax, and borrow.
Freschel Spindrift
Caucasian
posted 09-12-2008 05:17:10 AM
Economic Left/Right: 5.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.56
Who's that crazy kook that's destroying the world. It's Zorc (That's me) It's Zorc and Pals.
Bakura: Did you forget our anniversary, again? (laughter)
Zorc: Yes, I was busy destroying the world (laughter) Slaughtering millions. (Laughter)
Bakura: That's my Zorc.
The blood of the innocents will flow without end. His name is Zorc, and he's destroying the world.
Captain Tarquinn
Don't Ask
posted 09-12-2008 10:16:13 AM
For the record, I had the same problems with the test as Maradon.

Past:
Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: -2.62
Authoritarian/Libertarian: -5.44

Present:
Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: -2.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.46

Captain Tarquinn fucked around with this message on 09-12-2008 at 10:18 AM.

"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."
Kinanik
Upset about being titless
posted 09-12-2008 12:45:02 PM
Economic: 8.00
Social: -4.77
Gully Foyle is my name
And Terra is my nation
Deep space is my dwelling place
The stars my destination
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 09-12-2008 01:28:04 PM
Yeah, gracelessly though he presents his case, Maradon! is fundamentally correct that the questions are flawed. I disagree, however, that voluntary collectivism and state-imposed individualism (to borrow Maradon!'s phrase) are contradictory.

Anyway, my current scores is:

Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: 4.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.49

My previous scores were:

Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Authoritarian/Libertarian: -3.18

I attribute the difference here to the changes in the test questions.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 09-12-2008 01:32:56 PM
quote:
Aw, geez, I have Maradon! all over myself!
haha, no, my little dot was about two lines shy of the most extreme lower right.

Ironically, this does make me a liberal, in the sense that the word was used prior to the FDR presidency.

I'm just saying it's stupid because it's stupid.

You keep saying stuff, but all I see in my head is this. And I laugh.

"Wait a minute, I believe in free markets and individual social freedom! Those are defined as liberal attributes on this chart. That means...I'm a...LIBERAL!" *Maradon runs off and bathes compulsively, while "The Crying Game" plays in background*

Beer.

Lazzay
omg mack attack :(
posted 09-12-2008 04:00:54 PM
Economic Left/Right: 3.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.87
one two three fo let me see that tootsie roll
Maradon!
posted 09-12-2008 04:18:06 PM
quote:
Over the mountain, in between the ups and downs, I ran into Karnaj who doth quote:
"Wait a minute, I believe in free markets and individual social freedom! Those are defined as liberal attributes on this chart.[/i]

They are? As far as I can tell they've correctly put free markets on the right and social freedom on the bottom, while all the post-FDR-liberal attributes are on the left and top.

I've never hidden the fact that I am a liberal as the word was used prior to the FDR presidency - a paleoliberal in that sense.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 09-12-2008 at 04:18 PM.

Noxhil
Pancake
posted 09-13-2008 02:32:04 PM
Economic Left/Right: 0.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.62

I guess I've become more authoritarian, although I suspect it's because of how I read the questions rather than any fundamental change in my views.

Zair
The Imp
posted 09-13-2008 04:24:47 PM
Economic Left/Right: -2.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.23
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: