EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: As the last person on the planet to get Guitar Hero III...
Mightion Defensor
posted 07-12-2008 05:01:00 AM
..I have a few questions from the GH veterans here.

First, what does it mean when a note is lit up? (Not star power notes)

Second, I know this is my first time playing GH in any form, but how the heck do people learn to play Medium and higher? Maybe it's just my hands are too darned small, but even practicing one of the first tier songs on slowest, I can't get the hang of four fret buttons. God, I suck.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 07-12-2008 05:13:35 AM
Best advice is don't even bother with Easy mode; it'll just spoil you for the others. On medium, simply use one finger per button and practice til you get it down. It seems insurmountable at first, but it gets simple pretty quickly. At that level, I find the practice mode fairly counterproductive; just jump into the first few songs until you get them right. If you can, stick with songs you know well at first; it'll be less mechanical that way.

You'll be suprprised how quicly you progress.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Skaw
posted 07-12-2008 06:53:32 AM
quote:
Mightion Defensor enlisted the help of an infinite number of monkeys to write:
First, what does it mean when a note is lit up? (Not star power notes)

Hammer ons and pull offs, you strum the note before it(or before the series of HO/POs,) and simply press and release fret buttons without strumming.

Skaw fucked around with this message on 07-12-2008 at 06:54 AM.

Kinanik
Upset about being titless
posted 07-12-2008 02:08:06 PM
As dumb as it is, you might want to check out the tutorial. It's useful in that you won't miss out on anything fundamental. I, for instance, didn't even know about pull-offs, only hammer ons, until I did them. And this was when I had beaten most expert songs, but was still stuck on that damn Slayer song on hard.
Gully Foyle is my name
And Terra is my nation
Deep space is my dwelling place
The stars my destination
Mightion Defensor
posted 07-12-2008 04:20:12 PM
I'm getting better... slowly. When practicing "Story of My Life" by Social Distortion on medium, I actually managed to pull off a 58-note streak. However, on the drive to work, my left arm fell off.

Problem is, some parts get so busy with red, blue and yellow notes, that I forget about the green one at times, and then the whole thing turns into a pig's breakfast.

The tutorials were helpful, but I almost wish the tutorials were more demanding... just getting a string of eight notes isn't all that much of an accomplishment.

Hopefully, by the time I'm off work, my left arm will have reattached itself.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 07-12-2008 05:39:29 PM
Well, I'm the second-to-last person to get GH3, and I just like plodding along in Medium, myself. There's no way in hell I'm going to be able to play Hard.
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Blackened
posted 07-12-2008 05:52:15 PM
Go pick up GH2, it's arguably better than GH3. This has a lot to do with the fact everything after GH2 was made by a different and less talented gaming studio.

Although my distaste for you as a human being is brobdingnagian,
what I'm about to do isn't personal.
Kennatsu
hu�mor 1. That which is intended to induce laughter or amusement: a writer skilled at crafting humor.
posted 07-12-2008 05:56:36 PM
heh.. I can't wait for Guitar Hero 4. The "Create A Rocker" feature and the ability to make your own custom guitars in the game are something to look forward to.
Mightion Defensor
posted 07-12-2008 06:02:11 PM
quote:
It has been ordained by Primus, that there will be a Chosen One who will use the Matrix to "light our darkest hour." That darkest hour may come sooner if Blackened keeps posting things like this:
Go pick up GH2, it's arguably better than GH3. This has a lot to do with the fact everything after GH2 was made by a different and less talented gaming studio.

GH2 isn't available for the Wii. Or my original Xbox. It's GH3 for me.

Maradon!
posted 07-12-2008 06:12:49 PM
quote:
Blackeneding:

Better in what way?

I was thinking of getting GH3

Gadani
U
posted 07-12-2008 07:40:36 PM
When I first got Guitar Hero (the original one, for PS2), I started with the tutorial.

It helps alot, honestly.

Skaw
posted 07-12-2008 07:43:32 PM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Kennatsu:
heh.. I can't wait for Guitar Hero 4. The "Create A Rocker" feature and the ability to make your own custom guitars in the game are something to look forward to.

Oh wow, so Guitar Hero 4 is more "If we can't beat Rock Band, we'll be Rock Band!" than I though.

nem-x
posted 07-12-2008 07:57:09 PM
Kinanik
Upset about being titless
posted 07-12-2008 08:15:50 PM
While GHIII may not have made as much of a leap forward as GHII did, I think it is still better. The battle feature is fun, and that's really all that is new. I would look at the playlists, and if one appeals to you more than the other, go with that one. Also, if you have the choice between Wii and anything else, go with anything else, because you can't download songs for the Wii, and there are a handful of free songs that are worth downloading.
Gully Foyle is my name
And Terra is my nation
Deep space is my dwelling place
The stars my destination
Willias
Pancake
posted 07-12-2008 10:18:28 PM
quote:
So quoth Skaw:
Oh wow, so Guitar Hero 4 is more "If we can't beat Rock Band, we'll be Rock Band!" than I though.

fuck guitar hero world tour

want rock band 2

if konami's inane lawsuit doesn't go through anyway.

Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 07-12-2008 10:49:06 PM
Battle mode for 3 was the most fucking retarded thing ever put into any fucking rythym game ever.

Seriously.

Playing The Devil Went Down to Georgia and knowing that you can PLAY THE FUCKING SONG and the only way you win is the devil getting a shitty powerup (Like whammy or amp overload) and you saving up two or three to rape him later in the song being the ONLY FUCKING WAY TO WIN is retarded. I beat it once and said "never a-fucking-gain" because it was utterly retarded.

HO/POs were so loose in 3 as well. 2 was tighter, and had a nicer interface. I still prefer the cleanliness of the Rock Band interface, of course.

'Sage's advice is still good; Keep index on green, pinky on blue and play like that for medium. When you can feel comfy knowing all that, you're ready for hard. All you do is shift to the neck up one, and use your index to roll to green.

The arm falling off is normal. Try putting your arm in a position where you're not holding the neck up (Like resting your elbow on your thigh, etc) and the arm-fally-offy feeling will go away.

Mightion Defensor
posted 07-12-2008 11:40:38 PM
quote:
Delphi Aegis wrote their words upon the rocks;
Battle mode for 3 was the most fucking retarded thing ever put into any fucking rythym game ever.

Seriously.

Playing The Devil Went Down to Georgia and knowing that you can PLAY THE FUCKING SONG and the only way you win is the devil getting a shitty powerup (Like whammy or amp overload) and you saving up two or three to rape him later in the song being the ONLY FUCKING WAY TO WIN is retarded. I beat it once and said "never a-fucking-gain" because it was utterly retarded.

HO/POs were so loose in 3 as well. 2 was tighter, and had a nicer interface. I still prefer the cleanliness of the Rock Band interface, of course.

'Sage's advice is still good; Keep index on green, pinky on blue and play like that for medium. When you can feel comfy knowing all that, you're ready for hard. All you do is shift to the neck up one, and use your index to roll to green.

The arm falling off is normal. Try putting your arm in a position where you're not holding the neck up (Like resting your elbow on your thigh, etc) and the arm-fally-offy feeling will go away.

Problem is, my room is small. If I stand up, I'm looking down on my LCD TV, which blurs the bottom of the screen. I have top play sitting in my chair. I would need to put a six inch spacer (at least) under my LCD TV... heck... I should anyway, because when I play normally, the screen looks much better when I recline in my chair.

Oh, and the boss battles... It was like that for Tom and Slash for me, even on easy. It's only powerups that will win the day.

Mightion Defensor fucked around with this message on 07-12-2008 at 11:42 PM.

Nina
posted 07-13-2008 12:08:05 AM
quote:
Willias probably says this to all the girls:
fuck guitar hero world tour

want rock band 2

Don't forget these.

I'm probably going to buy them. $300 for a set of working electronic drums, that also happen to be usable in Rock Band? Ye gods, count me in.

KaLourin
Illanae's Stooge!
posted 07-13-2008 01:19:00 AM
Dont make me slap you so hard your bucket spins around, and around,and stops sideways,thus confusing you, and making you run about London wearing your bucket, a g-string, and carrying a stick,smacking the ground while yelling "MAGICALLY DELICIOUS! MAGICALLY FUCKING DELICIOUS!"- {Tal} to Mortious
Hebrew 9:3- 'And the Lord said unto me, "Dude, there isn't a K in covenant."' - Snoota

This beer drops trou and fucks your mouth with pure hoppy goodness. - Karnaj
nem-x
posted 07-13-2008 01:54:20 AM
i hope they are just as shitty as rock band 1's drumkit so i wont be tempted to get this
Mightion Defensor
posted 07-13-2008 04:29:49 AM
Well, I finished Easy mode; just to get it out of the way. That song during the credits... the infamous "Through The Fire And Flames"... Even on Easy, I think I would have failed the credits if it had been possible. I butchered "Raining Blood"; and got booed off the stage at 38 percent.

I played Metallica's "One", which was pretty easy on Easy, so I thought I'd practice it on Medium. Well, turning it from Easy to Medium revealed the lurking beast inside that song. My guitar sounded like it was being used to skin cats. Uncooperative cats.

My arm fell off again, so that will do it for tonight.

Blackened
posted 07-13-2008 03:34:03 PM
quote:
Kennatsu.
Rock Band 2 is going to be so much better than GH4. Don't get caught up by the brand name power of Guitar Hero.
quote:
Mightion Defensor.
GH2 isn't available for the Wii. Or my original Xbox. It's GH3 for me.
Go buy a real system.
quote:
Kinanik.
The battle feature is fun, and that's really all that is new. I would look at the playlists, and if one appeals to you more than the other, go with that one. Also, if you have the choice between Wii and anything else, go with anything else, because you can't download songs for the Wii, and there are a handful of free songs that are worth downloading.
I agree with all of this. GH2 and 3 are comparable but I still feel GH2 is more worth your money. It's probably cheaper by this point, as well.
quote:
Maradon!.
Better in what way?

I was thinking of getting GH3

Neversoft really doesn't have the right mindset for music games. There's still quite a few of basic things they don't grasp, namely how to create excellent note charts. All of the success of GH3, and soon GH4, is entirely because of Harmonix's creations. (GH1, 2 and Rock Band.)

Harmonix is also a company packed full of real musicans, not just your average developers. This definitely gives them a very real and noticeable edge when it comes to creating music games. (It's also pretty obvious Neversoft/Activision has no intentions of doing anything but riding on the coattails of the more talented developers, Harmonix.)

Whether or not you should purchase GH2 or 3 is going to be a decision made mostly on set lists. Song recognition will make or break the purchase. I can see a lot of people comparing the songs from the two games and looking for songs they already know and love. Which probably means more people would shy toward GH3. Sadly, I think the songs chosen by Harmonix for GH2 are much more fun to play, even if they're not as easily recognizable. (There are a lot of great 'indie' songs in GH2.)

Plus, I firmly believe Hangar 18 to be the best charted guitar song in any of the GH games.

quote:
Willias.
Konami has a chance, but they're pitting themselves against such a giant I think they would just become buried under an army of lawyers. They're not just fucking with Harmonix here, they're essentially fucking with a mass media monolith, Viacom.
quote:
Mightion Defensor.
I played Metallica's "One", which was pretty easy on Easy, so I thought I'd practice it on Medium. Well, turning it from Easy to Medium revealed the lurking beast inside that song. My guitar sounded like it was being used to skin cats. Uncooperative cats.
Transitioning upwards in difficulty from a more challenging song tier is always a stupid idea. If you're looking to step up to medium, you should start back at the easiest songs and work up to the harder ones.

Also, don't try to linger on a song to achieve a 5 star rating. Once you've beaten that song, keep progressing. You'll only hurt yourself by doing the same song over and over. Harder songs present harder challenges which result in more skill gained by playing them.

Willias
Pancake
posted 07-13-2008 03:44:23 PM
Not only that, but before you finish a difficulty, it isn't a bad idea to try out the beginning songs of the next one. They generally aren't as difficult as the last songs of the previous difficulty, but with Normal/Hard, will get you started on learning to shift further down the neck of the guitar.
Mightion Defensor
posted 07-13-2008 04:20:28 PM
Yeah, I figured I was asking for trouble going from Easy to Medium with "One"...

Right now, I'm practicing stuff on Medium... the only song so far I can get near 80 percent is "Story of my Life", but only because I've played it so much. I just got a sucky 72% on "Slow Ride"; the first bloody song in the setlist. :/

For yuks, I looked at "Through the Fire and Flames" on Expert, and quickly came to the conclusion that the guy who managed to score 100 percent on it is either lying or divine.

Noxhil
Pancake
posted 07-13-2008 08:59:23 PM
Just beat the songs and move on the next one. Don't bother trying to get higher scores until you can beat all the songs up to expert. Also, GH2 is better in every way than GH3 except for the guitar. The wireless guitar is 10x better than the GH2 wired guitar.
Mightion Defensor
posted 07-14-2008 04:51:42 AM
Right now, I'm stuck at the battle with Tom on Medium. I don't recall having a problem with him on Easy, but on Medium, I literally can't hit a darned note.
Taylen
Pancake
posted 07-14-2008 05:51:53 PM
quote:
From the book of Mightion Defensor, chapter 3, verse 16:
Right now, I'm stuck at the battle with Tom on Medium. I don't recall having a problem with him on Easy, but on Medium, I literally can't hit a darned note.

Trick to that, don't worry too much about hitting regular notes, just hang on until the starred notes show up and concentrate on hitting those. Makes for less stress.

Beat alot of the boss battles while hitting a bare minimum of normal notes.

"When correctly viewed, everything is lewd." - Tom Lehrer.
Sadomasochism: It's Fun!
Taylen Ashenbow
Rangers never run we mearly stratigically retreat.
Thats not a train thats a pull, my trains are always much bigger.
Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 07-14-2008 06:34:10 PM
Mightion, don't you have a PS2? If so, buy GH2 with controller and GH1 without. Or get a nifty wireless controller and get both games used without controllers. It's worth it.
I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piña coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Mightion Defensor
posted 07-14-2008 07:30:13 PM
quote:
From the Book of Armaments, Densetsu did read;
Mightion, don't you have a PS2? If so, buy GH2 with controller and GH1 without. Or get a nifty wireless controller and get both games used without controllers. It's worth it.

I have never had a PS2. I have an original Xbox, which never got GH in any way shape, or form.

nem-x
posted 07-14-2008 08:26:34 PM
you couldve bought a ps2 instead of that shitty toy

just sayin

Mightion Defensor
posted 07-14-2008 09:00:00 PM
quote:
From the Book of Armaments, nem-x did read;
you couldve bought a ps2 instead of that shitty toy

just sayin

It would be prohibitively difficult to play Metroid 3, Brawl, Twilight Princess, and Mario Kart on a PS2.

Skaw
posted 07-14-2008 11:20:11 PM
I'm pretty sure he was talking about transformers.
Mightion Defensor
posted 07-15-2008 12:40:15 AM
quote:
Skaw wrote their words upon the rocks;
I'm pretty sure he was talking about transformers.

* shrug *

Even if he did mean my new Omega Supreme, one man's "Shitty toy" is another man's "Holy Grail of Transformers collecting we never thought would be reissued, ever."

Wouldn't buying a PS2 just to play earlier versions of GH been sillier? What store would still have new bundles for that?

Reynar
Oldest Member
Best Lap
posted 07-15-2008 12:43:20 AM
quote:
Blackened got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:
[QB]Harmonix is also a company packed full of real musicans, not just your average developers. This definitely gives them a very real and noticeable edge when it comes to creating music games. [QB]

I dont particularly think one is better than the other, but what does being a musician have to do with developing RB or GH?

The guitar is unrealistic to be sure, and the drums even moreso to anyone who's played a real set. As long as you aren't tone deaf you can design this stuff.

I'll probably end up getting whichever game has the better song lineup regardless.

"Give me control of a nation's money, and I care not who makes its laws."
-Mayer Rothschild
Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 07-15-2008 03:56:06 AM
quote:
It was not by my hand that I am once again given flesh! I was called here by Mightion Defensor who wishes to pay me tribute!
I have never had a PS2.

/facepalm

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piña coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
KaLourin
Illanae's Stooge!
posted 07-15-2008 07:23:44 AM
quote:
A sleep deprived Mightion Defensor stammered:
* shrug *

Even if he did mean my new Omega Supreme, one man's "Shitty toy" is another man's "Holy Grail of Transformers collecting we never thought would be reissued, ever."

Wouldn't buying a PS2 just to play earlier versions of GH been sillier? What store would still have new bundles for that?

The introduction of the original GH actually caused a surge in PS2 sales, at a time where the industry pretty much though the system was at the end of its life cycle. While it may be silly now, with the cross platform GH3 and 4 just on the horizon... people are still buying the system to play the older versions. And.. stores do have some pretty interesting bundles.

My god son and his brother got a twin guitar bundle of both 1 and 2 for their ps2 this past Christmas.

Dont make me slap you so hard your bucket spins around, and around,and stops sideways,thus confusing you, and making you run about London wearing your bucket, a g-string, and carrying a stick,smacking the ground while yelling "MAGICALLY DELICIOUS! MAGICALLY FUCKING DELICIOUS!"- {Tal} to Mortious
Hebrew 9:3- 'And the Lord said unto me, "Dude, there isn't a K in covenant."' - Snoota

This beer drops trou and fucks your mouth with pure hoppy goodness. - Karnaj
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 07-15-2008 08:42:02 AM
I'll be getting whichever one is easier for drunken idiot man-children to play at a party.
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Willias
Pancake
posted 07-15-2008 11:43:59 AM
Wait, he's playing it on Wii. Nevermind.

Willias fucked around with this message on 07-15-2008 at 11:44 AM.

Blackened
posted 07-15-2008 02:03:45 PM
quote:
Reynar.
I dont particularly think one is better than the other, but what does being a musician have to do with developing RB or GH?

The guitar is unrealistic to be sure, and the drums even moreso to anyone who's played a real set. As long as you aren't tone deaf you can design this stuff.

I'll probably end up getting whichever game has the better song lineup regardless.

I think if you're aiming to create the most authentic (while still being accessible) music experience, actually haven't musical experience would give you a rather large advantage.

Either way, looks like you're getting RB2. If you're at all interested in the idea of DLC, you can probably cherry pick so many songs you'd enjoy.

Mightion Defensor
posted 07-17-2008 07:33:00 PM
I guess I'm making progress- instead of wondering how people play on Medium, I'm wondering how the heck people do those strings of HO/POs in Stricken and Knights of Cydonia at full speed on Medium....

Five-starred my first song, "Story of My Life" on Medium the other day.... not a tremendous achievement, but I'll take it.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: