EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Have a happy Independence Day, everyone!
Kennatsu
hu�mor 1. That which is intended to induce laughter or amusement: a writer skilled at crafting humor.
posted 07-03-2008 09:36:18 PM
Time to celebrate the birth of your nation! Let the beer flow, and have a fine BBQ on your victory lawns.

Meanwhile, I've still gotta work. The bad guys don't take holidays off...

Azakias
Never wore the pants, thus still wields the power of unused (_|_)
posted 07-04-2008 12:09:36 AM
Yay! Celebrate your country by blowing up part of it!

I'm going to Six Flags over Texas this weekend before I check in to my next command. Joy.

"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
Greenlit
posted 07-04-2008 01:20:49 AM
I'm working 5pm to midnight.

I'll practice playing the spar-spangled banner on my harmonica.

Maradon!
posted 07-04-2008 01:27:10 AM
Little known fact: The declaration of independence was actually signed on July 2nd

"The Second Day of July 1776, will be the most memorable Epocha, in the History of America. I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated, by succeeding Generations, as the great anniversary Festival. It ought to be commemorated, as the Day of Deliverance by solemn Acts of Devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with Pomp and Parade, with Shews, Games, Sports, Guns, Bells, Bonfires and Illuminations from one End of this Continent to the other from this Time forward forever more."

-John Adams, July 3rd, 1776

Azakias
posted 07-04-2008 01:34:53 AM
But wasnt it presented on the 4th, or something like that?

Its been too long since I refreshed on American history.

"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
Maradon!
posted 07-04-2008 01:53:59 AM
July 4th was the day when the framers all sat down and had a picnic.

Ben Franklin disapproved of John Hancock's german potato salad.

Greenlit
posted 07-04-2008 01:56:16 AM
In his defense, John Hancock was a dick.
Monica
I've got an owie on my head :(
posted 07-04-2008 02:23:43 PM
I will be making endless frappuccinos for people, most of whom will be only vaguely familiar with the menu, but who will most likely throw huge ignorant tantrums because they have no idea how to order what they actually want (and we'll be the idiots for trying to make sure they get whatever it is they want, despite our lack of psychic ability.)

Oh the joy of working on a parade route...

Captain Tarquinn
Don't Ask
posted 07-04-2008 02:45:32 PM
Good morning. In less than an hour, aircraft from here will join others from around the world. And you will be launching the largest aerial battle in this history of mankind.

Mankind -- that word should have new meaning for all of us today.

We can't be consumed by our petty differences anymore.

We will be united in our common interests.

Perhaps its fate that today is the 4th of July, and you will once again be fighting for our freedom, not from tyranny, oppression, or persecution -- but from annihilation.

We're fighting for our right to live, to exist.

And should we win the day, the 4th of July will no longer be known as an American holiday, but as the day when the world declared in one voice:

"We will not go quietly into the night!

We will not vanish without a fight!

We're going to live on!

We're going to survive!"

Today, we celebrate our Independence Day!

"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."
Azakias
posted 07-04-2008 04:04:17 PM
quote:
Monica stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:
I will be making endless frappuccinos for people, most of whom will be only vaguely familiar with the menu, but who will most likely throw huge ignorant tantrums because they have no idea how to order what they actually want (and we'll be the idiots for trying to make sure they get whatever it is they want, despite our lack of psychic ability.)

Oh the joy of working on a parade route...

Okay, I admit it. I went to Starbucks today.

Yummy cappuchino...yum.

But I didnt yell at the guy, though it was busier than any place had a right to be on the 4th.

nem-x
posted 07-04-2008 04:16:14 PM
I just made my own frappuccino
Anakha's Wii
Pancake
posted 07-04-2008 09:02:40 PM
I'm at work, till 12:30.

I plan to go to the local Japanese restaurant and get their miso soup. I will also sit on the theater roof and watch the local fireworks show by myself, and get paid for it.

"From the depths of my parent's basement, thy has truly struck a blow for nonconformity."
Greenlit
posted 07-05-2008 01:19:25 AM
I just got home from work and had a slice of cold pizza.

Fuck the 4th, I'm celebrating the 5th.

Maradon!
posted 07-05-2008 02:59:59 AM
I had beer and chicken with at my mom's and we watched the first 2 discs of the John Adams HBO miniseries
Naimah
In a Fire
posted 07-05-2008 11:00:02 AM
I watched fireworks on the lake. I could see the platform they were launching off of and they would arc up over your head before exploding. Pretty cool.
Monica
I've got an owie on my head :(
posted 07-05-2008 01:04:24 PM
quote:
Azakias had this to say about John Romero:
Okay, I admit it. I went to Starbucks today.

Yummy cappuchino...yum.

But I didnt yell at the guy, though it was busier than any place had a right to be on the 4th.

Yeah, the fireworks show in my area is hosted by the university across the street. So we get all the tailgaters and their families (I pulled like 6 packages of chocolate chip cookies, which is like 18 cookies, and I think we sold all of them.) I don't really care if people don't know the menu or whatever, it's just the ones that are defiant bitches about it and insist that we're wrong when they try to order something that doesn't exist.

Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 07-05-2008 02:48:26 PM
Captain Tarquinn
Don't Ask
posted 07-06-2008 07:03:41 AM
quote:
Nobody really understood why Khyron wrote:
America Rules. England Sucks.

Very nice.

"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 07-07-2008 03:02:59 PM
We had our belated anniversary dinner at a very nice restaurant in Champagne's premier city, Reims. We set a new personal record for most expensive dinner for two. Well worth it, but owie.

No, you don't want to know. But it was very sneaky of the restaurant that the menu they gave to Vernal didn't have the prices on it, but mine did. Up to the dude, I guess, to explain to his date that he's too cheap to get her what she wants!

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 07-07-2008 03:30:09 PM
I went to view the East River fireworks at my friend's NYC-adjacent apartment.

By NYC-adjacent, I of course mean Lyndhurst.

So instead, I played some Guitar Hero 3 and consumed a huge quantity of beer. Hurt for the rest of the weekend. Now that's my America.

Karnaj fucked around with this message on 07-07-2008 at 03:30 PM.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Greenlit
posted 07-07-2008 04:04:10 PM
I finally got a day off and celebrated by installing a new car stereo.

Hooray.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: