EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Anyone have any experience with fasting?
Gadani
U
posted 06-10-2008 02:06:28 AM
Specifically, how to get your mind off of the hunger aspect?

I'm just curious what other people have done to keep with the fast, as it were.

...Although this is probably not the best place to ask.

Batty
Doesn't Like You. Specifically you.
posted 06-10-2008 02:11:52 AM
Move to an African country.
Gadani
U
posted 06-10-2008 02:23:14 AM
quote:
Batty stopped beating up furries long enough to write:
Move to an African country.

I ain't no grandma.

Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 06-10-2008 02:24:34 AM
Drink lots of water.

Slow down your consumption of food leading up to and slowly reintroduce food after finishing said fast.

S'about all I learned from mine, really. First 24-30 hours are the worst.

Gadani
U
posted 06-10-2008 02:26:23 AM
Oh. Well, I only eat one meal a day as it is, so slowing down shouldn't be a problem. Hah.
Mr. Parcelan
posted 06-10-2008 03:45:57 AM
Why are you fasting
nem-x
posted 06-10-2008 05:01:55 AM
`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 06-10-2008 08:06:31 AM
Keep your mind and your hands busy, either with the same task or separate tasks. Video games work great for both, so long as you enjoy the game. Reading works well too. If you would rather watch TV, find some simple activity to keep your hands occupied (not that), and have a secondary distraction on standby in case of commercials. Keep a water bottle nearby, in case you still feel the need for something to fill your mouth and/or stomach.

Sleep more. The less a person sleeps, the hungrier he or she will get. Human bodies deal with exhaustion by either eating or sleeping, so you'll have to pick one.

Avoid strenuous physical activity while fasting. Light activity is fine, and walking is probably a good thing, but if you push yourself too hard, you may need to eat just to stabilize yourself. (This may eliminate certain options for my first piece of advice.)

Take a multivitamin. If you don't absorb pills well, try a chewable. Running out of a vitamin or mineral your body needs will cause cravings.

Avoid extreme climates. When fasting, you will get cold more easily, and your body will be more vulnerable to shock from either cold or heat.

Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 06-10-2008 09:29:20 AM
quote:
nem-x screamed this from the crapper:
he a fatty

Fatty fatty two-by-four, can't get through the kitchen door

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Steven Steve
posted 06-10-2008 10:42:52 AM
Sleep
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Steven Steve
posted 06-10-2008 10:44:20 AM
ZARDOZ. ZARDOZ.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=kbGVIdA3dx0

"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."

Ares
posted 06-10-2008 01:50:31 PM
When I did it for World Hunger Day, all of our friends all hung out together and it wasn't so bad.

We were allowed one spoonful of white rice, however.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 06-10-2008 02:39:47 PM
Fasting is rather unhealthy, if that's why you're doing it. Eating fewer calories is important to lose weight, but not eating at all is counter-productive in that it causes the metabolism to slow. . .and when you start eating again your body will try to store as much as it can as fat.
To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 06-10-2008 03:30:40 PM
Jesus, I totally forgot to make this joke:

It's doable. You just gotta lube up real good and...

Oh. Fasting. Never mind.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Vernaltemptress
Withered and Alone
posted 06-10-2008 04:37:35 PM
I echo Bloodsage's comment and not because I'm related to him.

But if you MUST fast, try crunching on some ice cubes to help relieve the hunger.

Obamanomics: spend, tax, and borrow.
Vorbis
Vend-A-Goat
posted 06-10-2008 04:41:55 PM
Beer.

I trust the wisdom of monks.

Steven Steve
posted 06-10-2008 05:11:20 PM
quote:
Vernaltemptress had this to say about Optimus Prime:
I echo Bloodsage's comment and not because I'm related to him.

huhuhu

Greenlit
posted 06-11-2008 12:25:25 AM
quote:
Bloodsage spewed forth this undeniable truth:
Fasting is rather unhealthy, if that's why you're doing it. Eating fewer calories is important to lose weight, but not eating at all is counter-productive in that it causes the metabolism to slow. . .and when you start eating again your body will try to store as much as it can as fat.

^^ seriously, x100

If you're trying to lose weight, just cut your daily calories to about 500 below your estimated BMR.

And start exercising, fatty.

Gadani
U
posted 06-11-2008 12:40:16 AM
Hahaha I'm definitely not trying to lose weight; I'm slightly underweight as it is.

And I do exercise, rather frequently.

e: in fact i just got back from an hour and forty-five minutes of biking around town

e2: You have a BMR of 1617.1.

e3: My BMI is like 19 so apparently I'm a healthy weight. Hooray!

Gadani fucked around with this message on 06-11-2008 at 01:03 AM.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 06-11-2008 10:44:15 AM
Ooh, my BMI is 25.8. I figured I was way overweight for my height. Turns out I'm only slightly so.

Beer.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: