EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Fantasy Book/Literature thread
Mr. Parcelan
posted 06-05-2008 04:43:31 AM
Jesus Christ, I need something new.

I finished "Before They Are Hanged" by Joe Abercrombie (sequel to "The Blade Itself," both very respectable books) and I've just been wading through shit ever since then. I'm torn between Paradise War, in which a Brit attempts to write an American character and fails miserably, Fallen, in which some crazy shit happens, and The Queen's Bastard, in which I don't know some bullshit about menstruation.

What are you reading and what would you recommend?

Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 06-05-2008 09:10:06 AM
I read "Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss recently and must say it was a damn good book. I recommend it if you haven't read it yet, Parce.
Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Pouncer of the 12th degree!
"Cxularath ftombn gonoragh pv'iornw hqxoxon targh!"
Translated: "Sell your soul for a cookie?"
Jargum
Doughnut
posted 06-05-2008 10:58:23 AM
I'm reading Glen Cook's third "Garrett PI" book. They've been pretty good, fantasy noirish detective books is about as well as I can describe them. They're fairly light reads though. One of his other series, "The Black Company", is hard fantasy stuff following a mercenary company and a few key characters with it and their travels. Bogs in some parts but is also pretty good. I'd recommend both series and a number of other unrelated things by him.

I also recently finished the "Ciaphas Cain" books by Sandy Mitchell in the Warhammer 40k universe. Funny Flashman type stuff.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 06-05-2008 12:01:47 PM
You should read the book The Fabulous Life and Times of Jimmy the Titwanker.

Actually, someone should probably write it, first.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Greenlit
posted 06-05-2008 12:07:52 PM
I've got a book here that's perfect for you.

My Lovebone: An Intimate Portrait of What You Should Suck On

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 06-05-2008 02:38:46 PM
quote:
Greenlit screamed this from the crapper:
I've got a book here that's perfect for you.

My Lovebone: An Intimate Portrait of What You Should Suck On

You really should. There's a twist ending that you'll never see coming.

In fact, you'll be lucky if you're able to see anything after you finish it off.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 06-05-2008 03:28:42 PM
I'm just re-reading Lynn Flewelling's Luck in the Shadows. It's pretty good. Don't read the second or third if you're homophobic, though. The fourth bok in the series will be released in a couple of weeks, too.
To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 06-05-2008 04:04:52 PM
quote:
And coming in at #1 is Bloodsage with "Reply." I'm Casey Casem.
Don't read the second or third if you're homophobic, though.

What a strange caveat.

Beer.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 06-05-2008 05:21:13 PM
quote:
From the book of Bloodsage, chapter 3, verse 16:
I'm just re-reading Lynn Flewelling's Luck in the Shadows. It's pretty good. Don't read the second or third if you're homophobic, though. The fourth bok in the series will be released in a couple of weeks, too.

A lot of books have homosexuality. Is it the good kind or the devil's homos?

Vorbis
Vend-A-Goat
posted 06-05-2008 05:45:11 PM
I've been reading through Harold Bloom's tome on Shakespeare.

Sorry, I'm boring.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 06-05-2008 09:09:36 PM
quote:
Vorbis screamed this from the crapper:
I've been reading through Harold Bloom's tome on Shakespeare.

Sorry, I'm boring.

FFS, it's summer. You should be having unprotected sex with women you hardly know!

Well, you should do that during the school year, too, but moreso now!

Beer.

Vorbis
Vend-A-Goat
posted 06-05-2008 11:57:06 PM
quote:
Karnaj thought about the meaning of life:
FFS, it's summer. You should be having unprotected sex with women you hardly know!

Well, you should do that during the school year, too, but moreso now!

Eh, I already did something much worse. I signed back up for WoW.

During the school year, though, I just prove that a white man that can dance is walking sex. It makes up for my personality!

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 06-06-2008 02:02:41 AM
quote:
Katrinity wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
I read "Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss recently and must say it was a damn good book. I recommend it if you haven't read it yet, Parce.

Haha holy crap, Pat actually is a pretty cool guy, from what I've heard. He writes a column in my school's newspaper (UW - Stevens Point). Evidently, the local Gamestop manager also used to D&D with him.

Falaanla Marr fucked around with this message on 06-06-2008 at 02:04 AM.

Zair
The Imp
posted 06-06-2008 01:53:54 PM
I haven't read any fantasy in awhile now. I don't really have any reliable source on what is decent, I guess.

Currently reading The Final Days , by Woodward and Bernstein. Can't remember why.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 06-06-2008 04:26:23 PM
quote:
Quoth Mr. Parcelan:
A lot of books have homosexuality. Is it the good kind or the devil's homos?

It's probably "the good kind," since it's woven into the plot as the obligatory love interest and isn't overly graphic. But since it involves the two main characters it's not a side show, either, and the third book hinges pretty majorly around the love story.

It's up to you whether you find that icky or not.

The first book, however, I recommend unreservedly as solid, well-written pure fantasy.

I'm probably completely missing what you meant by good/devil's. . .it's not about lesbians, if that's what you meant.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Pvednes
Lynched
posted 06-06-2008 04:36:22 PM
I've been enjoying some H.P. Lovecraft stories before bed each evening.
Callalron
Hires people with hooks
posted 06-10-2008 04:32:05 PM
So you've been staying up nights, then?
Callalron
"When mankind finally discovers the center of the universe, a lot of people are going to be upset that it isn't them."
"If you give a man a fish he'll eat for a day. If you teach a man to fish he'll just go out and buy an ugly hat. But if you talk to a starving man about fish, then you've become a consultant."--Dogbert
Arvek, 41 Bounty Hunter
Vrook Lamar server
Azakias
Never wore the pants, thus still wields the power of unused (_|_)
posted 06-10-2008 11:25:32 PM
I second Name Of The Wind. I've also picked up the latest Dresden Files book as well as The Immortal Prince by Jennifer Fallon. Though Immortal Prince is not nearly as good as the rest of what she's written, it is definitely worth the read.
"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: