EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Obama secures nomination
Maradon!
posted 06-04-2008 07:48:19 PM
So how bout that stuff
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 06-04-2008 09:03:55 PM
Bros before hos, man.

Or is it "hoes"? Or "ho's"?

It sounds much better when you say it.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Steven Steve
posted 06-04-2008 09:31:57 PM
"yay"
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 06-05-2008 08:22:20 AM
i think it's bros before tractors.
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 06-05-2008 08:49:24 AM
Remember this site from the last election?

I just thought I'd point out that, while never really going away, it's back again.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 06-06-2008 04:12:53 AM
About fucking time.

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Mr. Parcelan
posted 06-06-2008 04:16:27 AM
That's basically the jist of it, yes.

Thou shalt hearken to us, Teuton.

Maradon!
posted 06-06-2008 04:54:12 PM
It's a pretty exciting time in politics. The democrats are going to win, and they're going to win everything. House, senate, presidency, the whole enchilada. In fact, they're probably going to lose so many seats in the senate that they won't even be able to stop a filibuster; they'll be literally marginalized and powerless in every branch of government.

I can't say they don't deserve it, either.

Buckle up folks.

Noxhil
Pancake
posted 06-06-2008 05:13:26 PM
Everything seems to work better when politicians are so busy fighting each other they can't get anything done.
Vorbis
Vend-A-Goat
posted 06-06-2008 05:57:39 PM
quote:
Noxhil stopped beating up furries long enough to write:
Everything seems to work better when politicians are so busy fighting each other they can't get anything done.

That's part of our system's design.

and it's Italy's entire system.

Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 06-06-2008 06:11:45 PM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Maradon!:
they're probably going to lose so many seats in the senate that they won't even be able to stop a filibuster; they'll be literally marginalized and powerless in every branch of government.

I can't say they don't deserve it, either.

Buckle up folks.

I take it you mean republicans? Your sentence structure implies that it will be democrats to lose, I just want to clarify.

Maradon!
posted 06-06-2008 06:17:08 PM
quote:
x--Delphi AegisO-('-'Q) :
I take it you mean republicans? Your sentence structure implies that it will be democrats to lose, I just want to clarify.

Yeah, I had another sentence before that but I erased it because it was redundant and forgot to change the pronoun back.

quote:
Peanut butter ass Shaq Vorbis booooze lime pole over bench lick:
That's part of our system's design.

and it's Italy's entire system.

Eh, yes and no. Our three branches of government are supposed to check and balance each other.

Political parties are completely extraneous to our system of government as laid out in the constitution.

Vorbis
Vend-A-Goat
posted 06-06-2008 06:34:34 PM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about Pirotess:
Eh, yes and no. Our three branches of government are supposed to check and balance each other.

Political parties are completely extraneous to our system of government as laid out in the constitution.

Separation of powers is a wonderful thing, because it keeps any one part from being able to do too much. That's sorta the same thing as purposefully retarding the rate of change.

But I was thinking more the bicameral structure. By preventing either chamber from being able to implement it's will independently, the constitution makes sure that legislative change moves slowly and, we hope, continues to represent the general will.

Parties just help slow everything all the more.

Maradon!
posted 06-06-2008 06:46:23 PM
Did you guys know that the senate is currently debating the Lieberman-Warner bill, aka "Cap 'n Trade" (or Tax 'n Trade if you're honest), that, if passed, will add about $1.50 to the price per gallon of gasoline overnight? (and the $1.50 figure comes from the EPA who are proponents of the bill. Independent analysts predict as much as $4.00)

It'll be the single largest tax ever levied in the history of the world, removing seven trillion dollars from the private sector over the course of three years.

Both McCain and Obama support the bill.

Buckle up folks.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 06-06-2008 08:59:39 PM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about Duck Tales:
Did you guys know that the senate is currently debating the Lieberman-Warner bill, aka "Cap 'n Trade" (or Tax 'n Trade if you're honest), that, if passed, will add about $1.50 to the price per gallon of gasoline overnight? (and the $1.50 figure comes from the EPA who are proponents of the bill. Independent analysts predict as much as $4.00)

It'll be the single largest tax ever levied in the history of the world, removing seven trillion dollars from the private sector over the course of three years.

Buckle up folks.

Man, $125 to fill my tank sure would be fun!

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 06-06-2008 10:58:33 PM
quote:
Falaanla Marr screamed this from the crapper:
Man, $125 to fill my tank sure would be fun!

Buy a smaller or more efficient vehicle. There's a reason I stopped driving my truck, you know.

Beer.

Noxhil
Pancake
posted 06-06-2008 11:23:42 PM
I'm looking forward to some detailed and impartial analysis of Lieberman-Warner. While I agree in principle to monetarily allocating some of the environmental costs of economic activity, all I've heard about this bill is handouts to special interests. I'd read it, but it's 491 pages and I have too much work to do.
Reynar
Oldest Member
Best Lap
posted 06-06-2008 11:41:41 PM
quote:
Maradon! spewed forth this undeniable truth:

Buckle up folks.

Why in the hell does McCain support it?

That'll certainly make the auto companies bust ass to finish their hydrogen fuel cells sooner.

"Give me control of a nation's money, and I care not who makes its laws."
-Mayer Rothschild
Alidane
Urinary Tract Infection
posted 06-07-2008 12:13:30 AM
quote:
Karnaj posted

Buy a smaller or more efficient vehicle. There's a reason I stopped driving my truck, you know.

Isn't really an option for many, many people. Mass transit blows donkey in a majority of the US.

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 06-07-2008 12:58:31 AM
quote:
Reynar stopped staring at Deedlit long enough to write:

That'll certainly make the auto companies bust ass to finish their hydrogen fuel cells sooner.

Because he is a democrat.

Greenlit
posted 06-07-2008 12:59:14 AM
quote:
Noxhil had this to say about John Romero:
I'm looking forward to some detailed and impartial analysis of Lieberman-Warner. While I agree in principle to monetarily allocating some of the environmental costs of economic activity, all I've heard about this bill is handouts to special interests. I'd read it, but it's 491 pages and I have too much work to do.

I was just about to look it up until you said it's 491 pages. Jesus fucking christ.

Maradon!
posted 06-07-2008 06:37:02 AM
quote:
x--NoxhilO-('-'Q) :

Lieberman-Warner will not reduce "pollution" any more than Kyoto did, or any more than cap and trade scams in Europe did.

It's nothing more than an enormous tax levied against all human activity, and when industries can't afford that tax they simply lift anchor and move to another country. This is why Germany's steel industry is currently in the process of moving to Saudi Arabia.

Anyway I'm sure the Huffington Post or someone will be able to provide you with the sort of impartiality you're looking for.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 06-07-2008 08:19:15 AM
quote:
Karnaj had this to say about pies:

It isn't the efficiency that is a big deal to me, as I fill up maybe once a month while I'm here at school. Just that seeing $125 once a month will seem pretty damned huge. I'm happy with 25 miles a gallon, though. I'd completely stop driving if I had a damned solid public transportation system to rely on, though. As it is, I've debated over getting an old motorcycle just to use for to and from campus shit here in Wisconsin. But with the need to occasionally drive to NC, I'm not sure I'd trust an older car. A smaller one wouldn't let me take the shit with me that I need to take when I do the trip. Shitty part is, a motorcycle would only work for half the year, since there's snow fucking everywhere in the other half of the year.

I actually seriously considered something smaller and in the 35-40 MPG range when I bought a new car. However, I had shit I had to get to Wisconsin with me. Renting a U-Haul would have cost a good few hundred bucks, plus crazy amounts of gas, plus rental of a trailer hitch. So in the long run, I pay around the same since I don't drive too much while I'm here in Wisconsin.

I do hope this spurs the development of much more efficient vehicles, though. As I'll gladly trade mine in in 2 more years when I'm done in Wisconsin.

Falaanla Marr fucked around with this message on 06-07-2008 at 08:24 AM.

Maradon!
posted 06-07-2008 09:59:47 AM
I've got an idea: Let's take the Democrats approach to the energy crisis and apply it to the healthcare crisis.

I think this could really work guys check it out

First we pass enormous windfall profits taxes against hospitals and doctors. True fact: Profit margins in the healthcare industry are MORE THAN DOUBLE what they are in the oil industry!!

Once we have confiscated all the profits of the evil healthcare industry we can then invest half of our new income into the search for the Cup of Christ. The holy grail, as you know, can heal any wound and extend life. Unlimited, cheap healthcare is just around the corner! We have already narrowed the search down to only 4 of the 7 main continents, we are so close to finding the holy grail and switching over to sustainable healthcare!!

We have to break our addiction to the healthcare industry and find the cup of christ.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 06-07-2008 at 10:00 AM.

Noxhil
Pancake
posted 06-07-2008 02:18:30 PM
quote:
Reynar obviously shouldn't have said:

Using hydrogen to power cars is a terrible idea. You have to literally lay piping for the entire United States, not to mention there are range issues and more safety issues than gasoline. Electric and hybridized cars are far more likely and useful, since the electric infrastructure upgrades are long due anyway.

quote:
Maradon! got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:
I've got an idea: Let's take the Democrats approach to the energy crisis and apply it to the healthcare crisis.

Why are you attributing this solely to the Democratic party? The name of the fucking bill is Lieberman-Warner aka the independent who caucuses with the Democrats and the Republican senator from Virginia. McCain, who is the republican candidate for president supports this bill. Don't kid yourself, the Republican party is just as responsible for this.

quote:
Anyway I'm sure the Huffington Post or someone will be able to provide you with the sort of impartiality you're looking for.

Not very much analysis or impartiality in that article. Maybe the GAO will release something.

Noxhil fucked around with this message on 06-07-2008 at 02:19 PM.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 06-07-2008 02:45:42 PM
quote:
Noxhil had this to say about Captain Planet:
Not very much analysis or impartiality in that article. Maybe the GAO will release something.

Well, yeah. The Huffington Post doesn't make any sort of attempt at being impartial in the first place

Anakha's Wii
Pancake
posted 06-07-2008 03:21:52 PM
The real hilarity is the comments on the article. I only had to go three posts in to find WAR CRIMES FOR OIL!

Edit: In all seriousness, i believe all the Obama nomination did is secure McCain's presidency. A lot of the racist democrats would rather vote for the white democrat, and the Hilary supporters seem to want to throw their vote to McCain. The Republican party also is rumored to have the Michelle Obama "whitey" tape, which could put some hurt on the Obama campaign.

Anakha's Wii fucked around with this message on 06-07-2008 at 03:26 PM.

"From the depths of my parent's basement, thy has truly struck a blow for nonconformity."
Noxhil
Pancake
posted 06-07-2008 03:59:41 PM
quote:
Kegwen got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:
Well, yeah. The Huffington Post doesn't make any sort of attempt at being impartial in the first place

Oh, I didn't know because I don't really read niche "liberal" or "conservative" news sources. I guess Maradon thought he was being clever.

Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 06-07-2008 04:22:44 PM
quote:
Die, Falaanla Marr! You don't belong in this world!
Wisconsin

Think I found your problem.

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piƱa coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Reynar
Oldest Member
Best Lap
posted 06-07-2008 06:56:25 PM
quote:
Noxhil had this to say about Cuba:
[QB]Using hydrogen to power cars is a terrible idea. You have to literally lay piping for the entire United States, not to mention there are range issues and more safety issues than gasoline. Electric and hybridized cars are far more likely and useful, since the electric infrastructure upgrades are long due anyway.[QB]

Pipes for what? Water? Yea no one has those! They sell personal hydrogen generators already.

We will find out very soon though, the Chevy Volt will be out in 2010.

-Mayer Rothschild
Noxhil
Pancake
posted 06-07-2008 07:07:19 PM
quote:
Reynar had this to say about Robocop:
Pipes for what? Water? Yea no one has those! They sell personal hydrogen generators already.

We will find out very soon though, the Chevy Volt will be out in 2010.

Wait, you're saying you want people to take water, convert it to hydrogen, then run your car on it? You realize that electrolysis of water takes energy, which will have to be satisfied with an electric infrastructure upgrade. Then, you have to upgrade water infrastructure and drill to aquifers to satisfy the increased water demand. Try telling people in Arizona and Florida that they also need water to run their car and see what they think. Battery technology is far promising.

The Chevy Volt is an electric car... how will that vindicate hydrogen?

Reynar
Oldest Member
Best Lap
posted 06-07-2008 07:23:57 PM
quote:
A sleep deprived Noxhil stammered:
Wait, you're saying you want people to take water, convert it to hydrogen, then run your car on it? You realize that electrolysis of water takes energy, which will have to be satisfied with an electric infrastructure upgrade. Then, you have to upgrade water infrastructure and drill to aquifers to satisfy the increased water demand. Try telling people in Arizona and Florida that they also need water to run their car and see what they think. Battery technology is far promising.

The Chevy Volt is an electric car... how will that vindicate hydrogen?

Wow processes take engery?! I had no idea! You were just saying electric cars were a solution, now you're saying it's not? I cant figure you out.

Water is way easier to come by than fossil fuels, you may not have noticed, but it makes up the majority of our planet.

The Chevy Volt will have a hyrdrogen fuel cell as well.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070420/AUTO01/704200366/1148/rss25

-Mayer Rothschild
Noxhil
Pancake
posted 06-07-2008 09:20:00 PM
1) Power Plant Generates Electricity
2) Energy is transformed then sent across high voltage lines to local systems
3) Energy is stepped down for local application
4) Energy comes out of your socket
5) Plug in your electrolysis machine
6) Accept the 50% loss of energy that comes with electrolysis
7) Power your car

You could just cut out the 50% loss of energy it takes to convert water to hydrogen, and just put it in batteries (which are close to becoming far far more efficient and energy dense). All you do when you convert water to hydrogen is lose half the energy you put in.

It doesn't matter how easy it is to come by water, but many places already struggle with water restrictions, why place additional burdern.

So.... batteries > hydrogen cells in terms of energy efficiency

You could argue the environmental side ie batteries are very polluting, but I honestly know very little about the environmental costs of current and future battery production.

Maradon!
posted 06-07-2008 10:38:59 PM
quote:
x--NoxhilO-('-'Q) :
Why are you attributing this solely to the Democratic party? The name of the fucking bill is Lieberman-Warner aka the independent who caucuses with the Democrats and the Republican senator from Virginia. McCain, who is the republican candidate for president supports this bill. Don't kid yourself, the Republican party is just as responsible for this.

My post wasn't about Lieberman-Warner, my post was satirically criticizing the two parts of the left's energy plan that ARE entirely unique to them: 1) The adamant refusal to allow any kind of oil development, anywhere, forever and 2) The laying of sole responsibility for high gas prices on the oil companies and pushing for windfall profits taxes.

You need to LISTEN to these people for whom you have voted and continue to vote. They are absolute idiots.

Incidentally, I looked it up and the decision to disallow drilling off the coast of florida was the federal government's decision, not florida's. The florida state government, much like the alaskan state government, was emphatically in favor of allowing drilling on the requested sites, but congress blocked it.

Now the chinese are drilling from those same sites, and they're even using slant drilling to get at wells in our national territory.

quote:

I was insulting you by suggesting that you would not consider any source that was not heavily skewed to the left to be impartial.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 06-07-2008 at 10:41 PM.

Maradon!
posted 06-07-2008 10:44:28 PM
quote:
Noxhiling:
You could just cut out the 50% loss of energy it takes to convert water to hydrogen, and just put it in batteries (which are close to becoming far far more efficient and energy dense). All you do when you convert water to hydrogen is lose half the energy you put in.

It doesn't matter how easy it is to come by water, but many places already struggle with water restrictions, why place additional burdern.

So.... batteries > hydrogen cells in terms of energy efficiency

You could argue the environmental side ie batteries are very polluting, but I honestly know very little about the environmental costs of current and future battery production.

Batteries are not a feasible solution. The materials required to make batteries are an order of magnitude more rare than fossil fuels, and are themselves a non-renewable resource. I remember reading an article about zinc mines drying up and the price rising just from hybrid production much less moving the entire nation's transportation over to 100% battery powered.

You're right about the conversion loss being a huge problem with hydrogen, but frankly that's a huge problem with EVERY alternative fuel.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 06-07-2008 at 10:45 PM.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 06-07-2008 11:23:29 PM
It remains to be seen if these superdense capacitors Maradon posted a little while ago will actually work out. If they turn out to be, well, not a pipe dream, we'll be made in the shade with lemonade. It'll require a few hundred new nuclear plants and an overhaul of the nation's electrical grid, but it's either that or take the train. And as we all know, mass transit is anathema to the values of our glorious, Christian nation.

But the price of gas doesn't really concern me. If you live in an exurb and drive a gas-guzzling SUV, you're a dumb shit and you deserve what you get. It's not as if no one with half a brain could've seen this coming, had they done some research. What's worrying me is that that our non-strategic reserves are dropping at an alarming rate. This implies that, provided the SPR isn't tapped, actual physical shortages aren't far off. That's just all sorts of bad news.

Beer.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 06-07-2008 11:41:31 PM
How does Karnaj reconcile his atheism with marrying a jew
Noxhil
Pancake
posted 06-07-2008 11:43:57 PM
quote:
Verily, Maradon! doth proclaim:
You need to LISTEN to these people for whom you have voted and continue to vote. They are absolute idiots.

Interestingly, I've never voted for a democrat. (Well, I voted for Obama in the Florida primary but of course that didn't count) You should be more careful when you make assumptions.

quote:
Incidentally, I looked it up and the decision to disallow drilling off the coast of florida was the federal government's decision, not florida's. The florida state government, much like the alaskan state government, was emphatically in favor of allowing drilling on the requested sites, but congress blocked it.

Absolutely not. I followed this event very closely, and I was opposed to drilling off the Florida coast for a variety of reasons. The people of Florida were "emphatically" opposed to offshore drilling, and our congressional delegation represented that. I don't really care what, specifically, Jeb Bush thought; he promoted a lot of minority views in Florida. Our current Governor, Charlie Crist, doesn't share Bush's philosophy.

I'm more open to the idea now, but in general I think the 125 mile limit is fine.

quote:
Maradon! had this to say about Punky Brewster:
Batteries are not a feasible solution. The materials required to make batteries are an order of magnitude more rare than fossil fuels, and are themselves a non-renewable resource. I remember reading an article about zinc mines drying up and the price rising just from hybrid production much less moving the entire nation's transportation over to 100% battery powered.

You're right about the conversion loss being a huge problem with hydrogen, but frankly that's a huge problem with EVERY alternative fuel.

Nanotube batteries are showing quite a bit of promise. I simply think we can do better than 50% efficiency. Lithium batteries get 99%+ efficiency as I recall. We shouldn't be using the current, NiMH batteries, as the benchmark, because we can do way better.

Who knows, maybe fuel cells will end up being useful in the distant future, but they're not even close yet.

Noxhil fucked around with this message on 06-07-2008 at 11:48 PM.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 06-07-2008 11:49:10 PM
quote:
Densetsu wrote this stupid crap:
Think I found your problem.

This state isn't that bad, all things considered. Tons of kinds of beer here, and that's full of awesome.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 06-08-2008 01:09:40 AM
quote:
And now, we sprinkle Mr. Parcelan liberally with Old Spice!
How does Karnaj reconcile his atheism with marrying a jew

Fun fact: Parcelan is has never met a Jew in his life, and he has no intentions of doing so. If he succeeds, he will be only one of six confirmed Catholics to never encounter a Jew during his life. This entitles his family to an endowment of one million dollars, at the cost of having his corpse raped seventeen thousand times by an army of men with Down Syndrome. He feels it's worth the trade.

Beer.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: