EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Any Wii + LCD TV users besides me?
Mightion Defensor
posted 06-04-2008 04:40:26 PM
Yesterday I used the money George W. gave me to get a 22-inch LCD TV for my room - it's a Samsung LN22A450. It has a resolution of 1680x1050, and of course I hooked my Wii to it.

Now, going from the exceptional clarity of the 13-inch Sony TV that I had been using, and running a 480p signal on a TV capable of 1080i, I can understand that it's going to look a bit blurry, and I'm getting used to that.

There are a couple issues I need help with - first, I can't quite the brightness/contrast/backlight settings to the point where I can eliminate the "bleaching" I see in white areas - like the Wii menu, for example. Is there a good guide online that tells how to best configure a LCD TV for game systems?

Second is a more specific and baffling issue. Mario Galaxy, Brawl, and to an extend Mario Kart Wii, looks darned good on this LCD in 480p mode. I even fired up Fable on my Xbox, and that looked exceptional, even with some jagged edges.

Twilight Princess, though (Wii version), looks like absolute ass in 480p mode. The textures are much sharper, but there is horizonal dithering everywhere... it's like everything is striped. That, plus the jaggies make it look awful. If I set it to 480i, it's crystal clear except for the jaggies, but the textures are less detailed.

Curious, I put Wind Waker and Metroid Prime in the Wii, and they looked absolutely great, darn near perfect when I forced them to run in progressive scan mode. Soul Calibur II, as well, looked great in 480p mode.

I just can't understand while TP looks so bad...

Any (serious) thoughts that don't include dissing the Wii/Zelda?

Maradon!
posted 06-04-2008 04:51:59 PM
quote:
Mightion Defensoring:
Any (serious) thoughts that don't include dissing the Wii/Zelda?

No

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 06-04-2008 04:54:40 PM
Yeah, I got one: why didn't you add the money to your savings, instead of spending it?
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Anakha's Wii
Pancake
posted 06-04-2008 04:57:51 PM
I'm actually waiting on my gimme money to use it along with my side funds to open a savings account.
"From the depths of my parent's basement, thy has truly struck a blow for nonconformity."
Mr. Parcelan
posted 06-04-2008 05:56:36 PM
quote:
Karnaj had this to say about Matthew Broderick:
Yeah, I got one: why didn't you add the money to your savings, instead of spending it?

Let's cut this out.

Big fucking deal. Mightion spent a few hundred bucks.

Greenlit
posted 06-04-2008 06:12:12 PM
The real issue is why you made such a horrible purchase
Noxhil
Pancake
posted 06-04-2008 06:17:04 PM
I guess Samsung is just taking their monitors and adding a tv tuner. 1680 x 1050 has to be the dumbest resolution for a TV I've ever seen.

Edit: Jesus, was this really 500 dollars?

Noxhil fucked around with this message on 06-04-2008 at 06:18 PM.

Maradon!
posted 06-04-2008 07:12:48 PM
I don't know why 480p and 480i would make any difference to the textures, since the two modes are the exact same resolution and, thus, display the exact same image.

The vast majority of quality problems that arise when connecting SD sources to HD displays come from either perception (HD displays will highlight flaws normally hidden by the fog of SD) or upscaling (or the lack thereof).

It sounds like your TV may just have crappy upscaling. Poking around the internets seems to support this, as there seem to be a lot of people complaining about zelda and crappy display on HD.

Mightion Defensor
posted 06-04-2008 07:20:03 PM
quote:
Maradon! wrote:
I don't know why 480p and 480i would make any difference to the textures, since the two modes are the exact same resolution and, thus, display the exact same image.

The vast majority of quality problems that arise when connecting SD sources to HD displays come from either perception (HD displays will highlight flaws normally hidden by the fog of SD) or upscaling (or the lack thereof).

It sounds like your TV may just have crappy upscaling. Poking around the internets seems to support this, as there seem to be a lot of people complaining about zelda and crappy display on HD.

I'm thinking now it may be a Zelda-specific issue... I did some googling as well, and like I said, Metroid Prime, Soul Calibur 2, and Wind Waker looked great at 480p, as does Galaxy, Brawl, and Mario Kart. I posted on Nintendo's forum, and a friend has offered to lend me her Zelda disc to see if it is just my disc, however unlikely.

Ruvyen
Cartoon Broccoli Boy
posted 06-04-2008 07:34:49 PM
quote:
Karnaj had this to say about Robocop:

Money exists to be spent, and the main difference between spending it now and spending it later is inflation. If you don't have anything in particular you're saving for, it's better to enjoy what you can buy right now than toss your money somewhere and hope you'll find something to spend it on later.

Braaaiiinnnsss...

Thief: "I have come to a realisation. Dragons are not real in a general sense, but they may exist in certain specific cases."
Fighter: "Like how quantum mechanics describes how subatomic particles can spontaneously pop into existence at random!"
Thief: "No, that's stupid and stop making up words."
--8-Bit Theater
Maradon!
posted 06-04-2008 07:39:21 PM
quote:
Mightion Defensoring:
I'm thinking now it may be a Zelda-specific issue... I did some googling as well, and like I said, Metroid Prime, Soul Calibur 2, and Wind Waker looked great at 480p, as does Galaxy, Brawl, and Mario Kart. I posted on Nintendo's forum, and a friend has offered to lend me her Zelda disc to see if it is just my disc, however unlikely.

When I said your TV had crappy upscaling what I actually meant was that Zelda had crappy upscaling, since that makes sense in the context of what I was saying and what I actually typed does not.

It's incredibly unlikely that it's your disc.

quote:
x--RuvyenO-('-'Q) :
Money exists to be spent, and the main difference between spending it now and spending it later is inflation.

Interest rates are generally two or three times the rate of inflation at the very least.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 06-04-2008 at 07:40 PM.

Mightion Defensor
posted 06-04-2008 11:23:36 PM
Further web research has indicated to me that cranking Sharpness all the way to maximum might not have been the best course of action.

This is something I should check when I get home.. as well as see if any of my Star Wars DVDs have the THX optimizer on them. Anyone know offhand?

Edit: Never mind, it appears I own several, including the Incredibles.

Mightion Defensor fucked around with this message on 06-04-2008 at 11:28 PM.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: