EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: I need a little help from some gear heads.
Razor
posted 05-28-2008 09:07:37 PM
I figured some of you with some experience under the hood of a vehicle might know the best way to get axle grease off your hands and clothes.

After machining down some steel wheels for a track, I managed to cover my hands and clothes in some wonderful axle grease while installing them. I've already washed my hands with gojo cleaner twice.

Astronomy is a passion...
Engineering is a love...
My job isn't a job, it's my career, and I love every minute of it: Observatory Superintendent
Kermitov 2
Pancake
posted 05-28-2008 10:56:33 PM
quote:
Everyone wondered WTF when Razor wrote:
I figured some of you with some experience under the hood of a vehicle might know the best way to get axle grease off your hands and clothes.

After machining down some steel wheels for a track, I managed to cover my hands and clothes in some wonderful axle grease while installing them. I've already washed my hands with gojo cleaner twice.

Not a whole lot you can do about the hands except wait a few days. Wash the clothes by themselves a couple times, emphasis on by themselves, then run the washer empty a couple times and it should keep your other clothes from getting dirty.

Peter
Pancake
posted 05-29-2008 07:44:04 AM
Acetone? Though lanolin soap usally gets most stuff off.

--Clothes, try soakeing them, you really want to aviod running them through a dryer till the stain is gone, usally once you heat it up, the stain is set.

Peter fucked around with this message on 05-29-2008 at 07:46 AM.

Azakias
Never wore the pants, thus still wields the power of unused (_|_)
posted 05-29-2008 09:19:51 AM
I dunno if your axle grease is as bad as some of the sealants and engine crap I get on my hands, but I find that using pumice soap, then using these industrial strength orange smelling handwipes that feel like sandpaper, then pumice soap again works.

Also, for the nasty, nasty stuck on crap, I've been known to use paint thinner. But you have to make sure to rinse it off immediately, wash your hands, and apply some sort of lotion to keep your skin from cracking and falling off.

"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
Peter
Pancake
posted 05-30-2008 07:32:49 AM
quote:
Azakias had this to say about Punky Brewster:
industrial strength orange smelling handwipes that feel like sandpaper,

Kimtowels are the brand name

quote:
Also, for the nasty, nasty stuck on crap, I've been known to use paint thinner. But you have to make sure to rinse it off immediately, wash your hands, and apply some sort of lotion to keep your skin from cracking and falling off.

Regular Thinner isn't that bad, or are you useing like aircraft stripper? That shit is some real bad Ju-Ju. I have seen that Like eat off Like Imron and other 2 part paints with ease.

Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 05-30-2008 08:19:24 AM
I use simple orange and lava soap. Also I wear latex gloves or mechanic's gloves because I learned a long time ago that this is a big problem.
Kermitov 2
Pancake
posted 05-30-2008 11:36:10 AM
Would strongly advise against putting paint thinner or anything else like that on your hands.
Reynar
Oldest Member
Best Lap
posted 05-30-2008 12:38:37 PM
quote:
We were all impressed when Kermitov 2 wrote:
Would strongly advise against putting paint thinner or anything else like that on your hands.

It will just dry out your skin extremely fast, but it's not that harmful. You can use it, but just put some lotion on them later.

"Give me control of a nation's money, and I care not who makes its laws."
-Mayer Rothschild
Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 05-30-2008 12:44:24 PM
And there is a difference between paint thinner and paint stripper Note that well.
Azakias
Never wore the pants, thus still wields the power of unused (_|_)
posted 05-30-2008 02:55:58 PM
quote:
Peter painfully thought these words up:
Regular Thinner isn't that bad, or are you useing like aircraft stripper? That shit is some real bad Ju-Ju. I have seen that Like eat off Like Imron and other 2 part paints with ease.

Paint thinner. When we need to strip paint from the planes, we usually have to get by with paint thinner, sand paper, and lots of elbow grease.

Granted, it IS some pretty beefy stuff. A lot more caustic than the stuff you can buy commercial. Thats why I said I wash hands and apply lotion IMMEDIATELY afterwards.

And its about the only thing that will get the RTV sealant off. Even so, I've had to go for a while, sometimes days or weeks, with my hands a sickly grey color because I didnt want to crack my hands up so bad.

But the towelette thingies will usually scour most of that grease off.

"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: