EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Pan's Labyrinth
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 05-08-2008 07:50:36 PM
Finally got around to watching this, I'm glad I did. It harkens back to the good old days of "dark fantasy" that existed in the 80's and 90's, when you could have a good fantasy movie that didn't have to be all wrapped up in cotton wool or just be plain overhyped childish shite (I'm looking at you, The Golden Compass).

There is swearing. There is violence. There is blood; quite a lot in fact. The creatures are warped and twisted. One is downright freakish. It has a happy or sad ending, depending on your powers of observation throughout the movie.

I heartily recommend you rent/download/pirate this and watch it. Do NOT get a dub, if one even exists. Get a sub. It's in spanish but it fits since it's set in spain and all.

Best fantasy movie since The Neverending Story. Two thumbs up. Old fashioned movie making at its finest, breaking the mold of shitty fantasy "blockbusters" streaming from Hollywood like a never-ending diarrhetic turd.

quote:
Written and directed by Guillermo del Toro, PAN'S LABYRINTH is a thrilling, violent fairy tale set in post-Civil War Spain. Ivana Baquero stars as Ofelia, a young girl who moves with her mother, Carmen (Ariadna Gil), into the home of Captain Vidal (Sergi López), in an abandoned mill in the middle of dark, dangerous woods. Vidal is leading his team of soldiers against resistance fighters--and he will do whatever is necessary to kill every last one of them. As Vidal bosses around the pregnant Carmen, a flying creature leads Ofelia through a garden labyrinth and into an underground cave ruled by Pan (HELLBOY's Doug Jones), who believes that Ofelia might be the lost princess of this strange yet magical place. To prove she is royalty, Ofelia must complete three tasks, each more difficult and terrifying than the previous one. Meanwhile, Vidal is becoming more and more paranoid, torturing and murdering seemingly at will. Del Toro (THE DEVIL'S BACKBONE, HELLBOY, CRONOS) creates a marvelous battle between good and evil, between heroes and villains, in both the real world aboveground and the mystical land below. Baquero gives a compelling performance as the terrorized Ofelia, who is befriended by Mercedes (Maribel Verdú), a woman who harbors some secrets of her own. Stellar production design, superb special effects, and a stirring score by Javier Navarrete add to the scary fun. Selected as the closing-night entry in the 2006 New York Film Festival, PAN'S LABYRINTH is a captivating story that is not for the squeamish.
Azymyth
Not gay; just weird
posted 05-08-2008 08:44:16 PM
I loved the extremely dark fairy tale feel of it.

del Toro's other movie The Orphanage came out here earlier this month. It was kinda on the same vein but still neat.

I suffer from CRS: Can't Remember Shit.

Sig pic done by the very talented SJen!

Ares
posted 05-08-2008 09:52:29 PM
I LOVED this movie. I still don't own it, but I'm going to make a point of doing so
Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 05-09-2008 01:28:55 AM
Seen it. It was okay.
~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Mr. Parcelan
posted 05-09-2008 02:21:06 AM
You know who else didn't like Pan's Labyrinth.
Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 05-09-2008 04:49:57 AM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan painfully thought these words up:
You know who else didn't like love Pan's Labyrinth.

Corrected your allegation.

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: