EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: An electric car with no red flags?
Maradon!
posted 04-16-2008 11:12:40 PM
CityZENN

It will ostensibly run on a new, superdense capacitor that sounds an awful lot like a box of fairies but has apparently been independently certified to be existent. So much so that they actually won a contract with Lockheed-Martin for rights to use them in military applications.

Anyway, let's run down the usual checklist:

NORMAL ELECTRIC CARS
×Drives maybe 100 miles per charge
×Takes more than 5 hours to charge
×Top speed ~25mph
×Goes 0-60 if you drive off a cliff
×MSRP around that of a luxury car
×Looks like a george jetson steve urkel faggot mobile

THE 2008 ZENN
Drives about 350 miles per charge according to the site
×Takes more than 5 hours to charge
×Top speed regulated at 25mph
×Goes 0-60 if you stick your feet through the floor and run
MSRP around $20,000 (including optional stereo and air conditioning lol)
оLooks sorta like a matchbox car

THE NEW CITYZENN W/ MAGIC CAPACITOR
Drives about 350 miles per charge
Takes more than 5 hours to charge on house current, but CAN be charged in 5 minutes with special equipment. Probably won't be a big deal.
Top speed ~80mph
оProbably accelerates like a limp dick fucks but who knows
оMSRP is UNKNOWN but I'm guessing huge
оAppearance is UNKNOWN but I'm guessing it's also going to look like a matchbox car

still, neat stuff

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 04-16-2008 at 11:14 PM.

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 04-17-2008 12:44:24 AM
Going at 3.5kV seems a bit dangerous. Especially wtiht he engergy density they are using any kind of accidental discharge would be a bad thing(tm). But that's just part of the game with an electric car.
Razor
posted 04-17-2008 01:35:29 AM
Good lord.... 3.5kV isn't that bad, plus throw it in a ESD plastic chamber it'll be fine. (currently playing with some equipment used for a 2kV photomultiplier tube, at work)

*edit* Reread what you said..... boy I should read smaller stuff at times....

Razor fucked around with this message on 04-17-2008 at 01:37 AM.

Astronomy is a passion...
Engineering is a love...
My job isn't a job, it's my career, and I love every minute of it: Observatory Superintendent
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 04-17-2008 08:55:50 AM
quote:
And coming in at #1 is Naimah with "Reply." I'm Casey Casem.
Going at 3.5kV seems a bit dangerous. Especially wtiht he engergy density they are using any kind of accidental discharge would be a bad thing(tm). But that's just part of the game with an electric car.

When you think about it, it's probably just as dangerous as sitting on top of twenty gallons of combustible liquid.

Then again, 31 farad is a fucking scary number.

Still, I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Pvednes
Lynched
posted 04-17-2008 09:20:35 AM
Fuck the car, I want the capacitor.
Maradon!
posted 04-17-2008 06:23:18 PM
quote:
x--PvednesO-('-'Q) :
Fuck the car, I want the capacitor.

I thought the same thing.

At around $4000 USD for the car-sized unit (according to the wikipedia article anyway), they're cheap enough to become a standard part of all residential electrical systems, buffering off-peak power for use during peak times (or rolling blackouts, lol).

Moreover they make home wind and solar a bit more feasible.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 04-17-2008 at 06:23 PM.

Big Easy
Pancake
posted 04-20-2008 04:21:19 PM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about Captain Planet:
Moreover they make home wind and solar a bit more feasible.

Problem is, you don't typically pull that kind of voltage off of a solar or wind system. You could step up the voltage, but you'd lose a *lot* of power in the process, both to heat and the whole "matter and energy can neither be created nor destroyed" thing. You'd could get the voltage, but almost no meaningful amperage.

But you're right in that it's little steps like this that get things closer to reality.

"A little rebellion now and then is a good thing." -- Thomas Jefferson
"Unbelievably, a goldfish can kill a gorilla. However, it does require a substantial element of surprise." -- George Carlin
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin
"I finally figured out what e-mail is for. It's for communicating with people you'd rather not talk to." -- Also George Carlin
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity." -- "The Second Coming" by Wm. Butler Yeats
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: