EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: ITT Tyranids
Damnati
Filthy
posted 04-09-2008 01:19:15 AM
Today I procured one of these. Let us discuss 'nids. Let us also discuss where to procure magnets for use on the carnifex and how to use them.

Damnati fucked around with this message on 04-09-2008 at 01:26 AM.

Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Jargum
Doughnut
posted 04-09-2008 01:55:48 AM
This place gets recommended a lot. As far as using them I'd be a bad source for specifics, but generally it's to make a small hole and glue in a small disc magnet. I think you can paint over them, but again, haven't done this myself.

Jargum fucked around with this message on 04-09-2008 at 01:56 AM.

Blackened
posted 04-09-2008 03:37:53 AM
here I was hoping you had DoW2 tyranid pictures

asshole

Although my distaste for you as a human being is brobdingnagian,
what I'm about to do isn't personal.
Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 04-09-2008 07:36:43 AM
Nids are pretty fun, though I prefer the individual bits of customization that you can do with other armies, like orks.

There are two main flavors of tyranid armies; being swarms and 'Nidzilla' lists. Swarm is pretty straightforward, using large amounts of gaunts to overwhelm your enemies, a hive tyrant for taking down HQs, and maybe a zooanthrope or carnifex or two for anti-tank. Nidzilla lists take the bare minimum amount of troop choices, while loading up on as many carnifexes as you can get.

Both have their pluses and minuses... both do pretty well against standard marines and their equivalents. The former is good at taking out low-model count armies like necrons and chaos while having a hard time against armies with lots of ordnance like IG. The latter is great against static gunline or swarm armies, but tends to get shot up easily by fast-moving lists.

Damnati
Filthy
posted 04-09-2008 01:20:38 PM
I had a lot of fun putting together a tentative army list for 'nids; I play them on VASSAL, though I think I may eventually complete an army after this battle force. List follows.

Hive Tyrant (t/l devourer, scything talons, ext. carapace, and warp blast)
Tyrant Guard x3 (implant attack)
Warriors x9 (venom cannon, devourer, scything talons, enh. senses, ext. carapace, and toxin sacs)
Raveners x6 (devourer, scything talons)
Carnifex (t/x devourer x2, ext carapace, enh. senses)
Gaunts x48 (devourer)

Lots of dakka but I dunno how well it'll hold up. The gaunts I figured would be great for the Without Number rule.

Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 04-09-2008 03:16:33 PM
Drop the devourer on the tyrant for another scything claws. Warp blast is all the shooting you'll need with that.

Gear your warriors for either close combat or shooting, not a mix.

Without Number isn't really all that great, it usually just ends up being free victory points for your opponent. Also, I'd go with either spinefists or fleshborer on the gaunts instead. You're much better off with more gaunts.

Damnati
Filthy
posted 04-09-2008 03:19:57 PM
quote:
Sakkra impressed everyone with:
Drop the devourer on the tyrant for another scything claws. Warp blast is all the shooting you'll need with that.

Gear your warriors for either close combat or shooting, not a mix.

Without Number isn't really all that great, it usually just ends up being free victory points for your opponent. Also, I'd go with either spinefists or fleshborer on the gaunts instead. You're much better off with more gaunts.

Not sure how I feel about loads of gaunts at that point. I was trying to figure how to incorporate some genestealers or maybe another 'fex as the gaunts are such cannon fodder. A guy at the local hobby shop suggest zoanthropes but I dunno how worthwhile they are.

Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 04-09-2008 03:38:02 PM
Cannon fodder is a good thing. Gaunts are invaluable for soaking up fire to protect your larger bugs. Also, they're capable of holding their own pretty well if their numbers are kept high.
Damnati
Filthy
posted 04-09-2008 05:34:39 PM
Army lists aside, what kind of brushes hold their points best? What would be the best way to magnify the model I'm working on? I have a hard time seeing the details after about 5 minutes or so of staring at it; this in tandem with a brush that rapidly loses its point results in inaccurate painting.

Peter
Pancake
posted 04-09-2008 05:54:21 PM
quote:
Damnati had this to say about John Romero:
Army lists aside, what kind of brushes hold their points best? What would be the best way to magnify the model I'm working on? I have a hard time seeing the details after about 5 minutes or so of staring at it; this in tandem with a brush that rapidly loses its point results in inaccurate painting.

Keep the brush wet, swish it though your wash water and blot it everytime you go back to load it with paint. Also if you are doing alot of drybrushing, it's unavoidable.

Depending on how comftable you find it, Table magnifiers Or Loupes and Headband Magnifiers Though I would suggest looking for the harbor freight version first. Also make sur eyou have some nice bright lighting.

Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 04-09-2008 07:20:27 PM
Use a seperate brush for drybrushing. When using regular brushing, use just a small amount on the tip and apply multiple coats rather than just trying to slather on a bunch at once.

As far as magnification goes, I like a combination magnifier + light. Link is just for the style of what I'm talking about, I have no knowledge of the particular model there.

Damnati
Filthy
posted 04-09-2008 08:28:44 PM
quote:
And I was all like 'Oh yeah?' and Sakkra was all like:
Use a seperate brush for drybrushing. When using regular brushing, use just a small amount on the tip and apply multiple coats rather than just trying to slather on a bunch at once.

As far as magnification goes, I like a combination magnifier + light. Link is just for the style of what I'm talking about, I have no knowledge of the particular model there.

I was thinking about one of these or the headband magnifiers like jewelers use. I've heard the desk-lamp types are hard to use because of the lights.

Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 04-09-2008 10:14:08 PM
Good lighting is almost essential for painting.
Damnati
Filthy
posted 04-09-2008 10:37:52 PM
quote:
Sakkra was naked while typing this:
Good lighting is almost essential for painting.

The person who told me this was a jeweler. I suppose his problem may have been reflection issues. I have lighting problems as is; LED desklight != enough light for painting, really.

Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 04-09-2008 11:58:53 PM
If nothing else, you can use the magnifier without the light.
Damnati
Filthy
posted 04-10-2008 01:36:04 AM
In other news, it becomes apparent to me that I should paint my genestealers prior to assembling them. It's a pain in the ass to get at all the parts after it's put together.

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 04-10-2008 04:47:03 AM
quote:
Damnati had this to say about (_|_):
In other news, it becomes apparent to me that I should paint my genestealers prior to assembling them. It's a pain in the ass to get at all the parts after it's put together.

If you want perfection, do that.

But for guys like me, who just want a nice army to play games with, it isn't as essential, as you cannot see the hard to paint parts anyway, unless you're looking for them.

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Peter
Pancake
posted 04-10-2008 07:36:52 AM
quote:
Jargum had this to say about Jimmy Carter:
This place gets recommended a lot. As far as using them I'd be a bad source for specifics, but generally it's to make a small hole and glue in a small disc magnet. I think you can paint over them, but again, haven't done this myself.

Those guys are pretty danm good for getting the magnets. I would recommend getting the small discs and small rods, the rods work pretty well by drilling a small hole with the pin vise and super glueing the magnet in, works a bit better with smaller parts like marine armes and heads. IF you are going to use 2 magnets to attach things, I recommend marking the 2 opposing ends so there is no confusion in polarity when you glue them in, or if it's lighter part, I have just drilled and glued in bits of steel wire on one side rather than 2 magnets.

Damnati
Filthy
posted 04-10-2008 01:42:18 PM
quote:
Peter had this to say about dark elf butts:
Those guys are pretty danm good for getting the magnets. I would recommend getting the small discs and small rods, the rods work pretty well by drilling a small hole with the pin vise and super glueing the magnet in, works a bit better with smaller parts like marine armes and heads. IF you are going to use 2 magnets to attach things, I recommend marking the 2 opposing ends so there is no confusion in polarity when you glue them in, or if it's lighter part, I have just drilled and glued in bits of steel wire on one side rather than 2 magnets.

How does putting a disc in the body and a piece of metal in the arm work out? I'd like to make a few Warriors and Genestealers magneted sometime.

How should I go about applying spray primer to an unassembled model? I'm concerned about primer getting into the arm and leg holes and fucking things up. I'd considered putting a wee bit of petroleum jelly in these places but I wondered if that would damage the plastic.

nem-x
posted 04-10-2008 02:04:43 PM
Damnati
Filthy
posted 04-10-2008 05:14:00 PM
Let it be known that fucking hate green stuff...

Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 04-10-2008 05:48:27 PM
Green stuff is great.
ArchAngel
Not a girl, never will be, no matter how much you may hear differently
posted 04-10-2008 05:59:29 PM
quote:
Damnati attempted to be funny by writing:
Let it be known that fucking hate green stuff...

"Orks is da biggist an da strongest!"

Also, answer your goddamn phone, you .

ArchAngel fucked around with this message on 04-10-2008 at 06:00 PM.

"What power would hell have if those imprisoned there could not dream of heaven?" -Dream, Sandman
"When the first living thing existed, I was there waiting. When the last living thing dies, my job will be finished. I'll put the chairs on the tables, turn out the lights, and lock the universe behind me as I leave." -Death, Sandman
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot." Dream, Sandman
Full sigpic image
Damnati
Filthy
posted 04-10-2008 06:08:18 PM
Methinks my first carnifex isn't going to much to be proud of. Still, I really like how 'nids look and how they function as an army. Inquisition pieces are a neat and all but they're a bitch to paint accurately; even the Sisters Repentia, which are relatively simple compared to other SoB models.

Damnati
Filthy
posted 04-12-2008 09:06:04 PM
Have any of you got pictures of your armies? I'm curious to see what constitutes "table-ready" paint jobs.

Tarquinn
posted 04-13-2008 04:54:59 AM
Sure. No pics of my Eldar though, cause they're are still in their travel cases from my last match.

Maradon!
posted 04-13-2008 05:50:21 AM
hah, fire warriors look kinda chibi
Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 04-13-2008 07:26:33 AM
I loathe painting and far prefer the conversion / modeling aspect of the hobby.

Current project: Warbike Nobz for my orks. Being that the theme for the army is looting equipment from other races (making use of the 'counts as' rule), I plan on converting the bikes from other races' rides.

Was going to post pictures, but my cell phone camera is incapable of taking anything better than a vague grey blur.

Sakkra fucked around with this message on 04-13-2008 at 07:27 AM.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 04-13-2008 07:39:09 AM
quote:
Sakkra said:
I loathe painting and far prefer the conversion / modeling aspect of the hobby.

Me too.

I made one hell of an awesome "from scratch" Warhammer Fantasy model with a chaos standard bearer and a vampire count, plus a few bits and pieces from other models.

Turned it into an armoured vampire count with a gigantic pole and called him "Vlad the Impaler", spot the reference. Very tough, hits the first three infantry rows due to impalement special ability plus bonus attack vs mounted units, but slow to attack and slow moving. Easy to avoid, but an oh shit moment if he sneaks up on you while you weren't looking.

Maradon!
posted 04-13-2008 10:15:41 AM

I may have posted this before but oh well it's an awesome model.

Tarquinn
posted 04-13-2008 03:11:08 PM
quote:
How.... Maradon!.... uughhhhhh:
hah, fire warriors look kinda chibi

Technically those are pathfinders.

Damnati
Filthy
posted 04-13-2008 09:24:08 PM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about dark elf butts:
[xIMG]http://maradon.makeitorky.com/wh_modeler.jpg[/IMG]

I may have posted this before but oh well it's an awesome model.

This is significantly better than table-ready; I saved it when I saw it on /tg/ one day.

I notice that most of Tarquinn's Tau have relatively simple paintjobs. My expectations, I think were a bit unrealistic due to only having been exposed to stuff like 'Eavy Metal puts out other such competition quality painting. In short, I makes me feel a bit less overwhelmed with need for perfection in my 'nids.

All that said, let's talk shop. I don't really care for the idea of a purely 'nidzilla army but, at the same time, I don't like huge hordes to manage (nor do I want to paint hundreds of models for one army. Someone at the hobby shop pointed out to me that, with any of level of gaunt hording, I'll need synapse creatures; this is a weakness is the army list I posted earlier. Given the following framework, how should I flesh out my army (I'll only include weapon/biomorph options where I have a firm plan)?

Hive Tyrant (Warp Blast)
Tyrant Guard (as retinue for the Tyrant)
10 Warriors (two squads, each with a venom cannon)
6 Raveners
?? Troops
1 Carnifex (doube twin-lined devourers; dakkafex setup)

I'd like to include Genestealers and Gaunts as my troops but I'm not sure how many of each would be most effective or with what weapons.

Damnati fucked around with this message on 04-13-2008 at 09:25 PM.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: