EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: God Bless America
Gadani
U
posted 03-29-2008 02:23:36 AM
Zair
The Imp
posted 03-29-2008 03:24:33 AM
The Republicans are doing an amazing job so far. They have half of America thinking Obama is a Muslim, and the other half thinking he is some crazy anti-American black panther.
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 03-29-2008 03:31:23 AM
Just imagine some ridiculous comment and pretend Maradon said it

just so that's out of the way

Steven Steve
posted 03-29-2008 11:09:30 AM
Yes, I can see it now as though from some dream long since forgotten
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Maradon!
posted 03-29-2008 02:07:01 PM
quote:
Peanut butter ass Shaq Zair booooze lime pole over bench lick:
The Republicans are doing an amazing job so far. They have half of America thinking Obama is a Muslim, and the other half thinking he is some crazy anti-American black panther.

Sorry, you can thank the Hillary campaign for that first part, and Obama's own pastor for the second part.

Maradon!
posted 03-29-2008 02:08:32 PM
quote:
Kegwening:
Just imagine some ridiculous comment and pretend Maradon said it

just so that's out of the way

I already told you guys all about Jeremiah Wright and you didn't believe me.

"It's just like a hungarian church being hungarian-centric" you said

Zair
The Imp
posted 03-29-2008 02:53:57 PM
quote:
Maradon! said this about your mom:
Sorry, you can thank the Hillary campaign for that first part, and Obama's own pastor for the second part.

Yeah pretty much all three of them suck.

Maradon!
posted 03-29-2008 03:04:59 PM
"He's not a muslim... that I know of."

Oh Hillary, haha, don't you have some sniper fire to dodge or something?

For what it's worth, I really don't think Obama believes all the shit his pastor says. I doubt like hell that he didn't know what his pastor was saying, like he claims, but I honestly don't think the believes it.

Everybody asks, "Well why didn't he just leave that church?." I think the people who are asking this just don't realize two things: First, for reasons of cultural bona fide, Obama knew that he needed to attend a black church. Second, I don't think he would have been able to find a black church that wasn't spewing the same or similar bullshit.

I'm sure they exist, but I'm not so sure that they're common.

There are much, much better things to attack Obama on, like his close associations with Frank Marshall Davis and William Ayers.

However, the electorate doesn't care about that. Obama has dropped severely in the polls since this pastor shit came out. He's now a hair behind Hillary and both are behind McCain.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 03-29-2008 at 03:07 PM.

Maradon!
posted 03-29-2008 03:12:06 PM
this is as good a time as any to post this image

Zair
The Imp
posted 03-29-2008 03:59:07 PM
quote:
Maradon! obviously shouldn't have said:
Lots of stuff

You are still voting for whoever the Democrat is though, right?

Maradon!
posted 03-29-2008 04:20:58 PM
Haha, no, I'm not freaking out anymore.

I'd rather have Hillary in office than McCain, but I'm almost certain that Hillary will not be the nominee.

Currently I'm planning on voting libertarian, yet again. This year's candidate, Wayne Allan Root, has hockey hair.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 03-29-2008 at 04:21 PM.

Zair
The Imp
posted 03-29-2008 04:57:25 PM
Maradon is a flip-flopper.
Maradon!
posted 03-29-2008 05:07:11 PM
True fact: I'd rather have a flip-flopper president that had absolutely no strong personal convictions than one that had inflexible ones that ran contrary to the will of the people.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 03-29-2008 at 05:07 PM.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 03-30-2008 04:21:46 AM
The "will of the people" is a stupid way to run a nation, and our government was specifically organized to prevent that kind of idiocy. Elected officials are supposed to do what's best, not slavishly follow polls.
To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Maradon!
posted 03-30-2008 04:50:47 AM
quote:
Peanut butter ass Shaq Bloodsage booooze lime pole over bench lick:
The "will of the people" is a stupid way to run a nation, and our government was specifically organized to prevent that kind of idiocy. Elected officials are supposed to do what's best, not slavishly follow polls.

1) Right, 2) Right, 3) Wrong

Elected officials are supposed to be empty suits. That's why they're elected and not coronated or appointed.

Our government IS specifically organized to temper the will of the people with a limited aristocracy. One current, constitutional example is in the judiciary. The senate was supposed to be the legislative aristocracy, but in 1913 the seventeenth amendment changed all that and politicized the senate.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 03-30-2008 06:55:11 AM
You'll have to show me the part in the constitution where it says electied officials have to slavishly follow polls. IIRC, oaths of office refer to supporting and defending the constitution rather than doing whatever polls say people want. Elected officials are supposed to act for the good of the district they represent and for the good of the nation--that's not the same as doing whatever they think the people want.

Reprenting the people is not the same thing as doing whatever the latest poll shows people want.

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 03-30-2008 01:31:03 PM
The Federalist papers, you'll have to excuse me for not remembering the exact number(edit: quotation below), state that the House is given short terms specifically so that they are forced to almost continuously campaign and remain in touch with the people they were to represent.

While it isn't do what the people want every time, Representatives have very real short term repercussions for not following the desires as they are given to them, particullarly in the form of polls. Saying it isn't in the constitution therefore it isn't done is a fallacy.

edit:

From Federalist 57:

quote:
In the second place, they will enter into the public service under circumstances which cannot fail to produce a temporary affection at least to their constituents. There is in every breast a sensibility to marks of honor, of favor, of esteem, and of confidence, which, apart from all considerations of interest, is some pledge for grateful and benevolent returns. Ingratitude is a common topic of declamation against human nature; and it must be confessed that instances of it are but too frequent and flagrant, both in public and in private life. But the universal and extreme indignation which it inspires is itself a proof of the energy and prevalence of the contrary sentiment.

In the third place, those ties which bind the representative to his constituents are strengthened by motives of a more selfish nature. His pride and vanity attach him to a form of government which favors his pretensions and gives him a share in its honors and distinctions. Whatever hopes or projects might be entertained by a few aspiring characters, it must generally happen that a great proportion of the men deriving their advancement from their influence with the people, would have more to hope from a preservation of the favor, than from innovations in the government subversive of the authority of the people.

All these securities, however, would be found very insufficient without the restraint of frequent elections. Hence, in the fourth place, the House of Representatives is so constituted as to support in the members an habitual recollection of their dependence on the people. Before the sentiments impressed on their minds by the mode of their elevation can be effaced by the exercise of power, they will be compelled to anticipate the moment when their power is to cease, when their exercise of it is to be reviewed, and when they must descend to the level from which they were raised; there forever to remain unless a faithful discharge of their trust shall have established their title to a renewal of it.

Naimah fucked around with this message on 03-30-2008 at 01:42 PM.

Alidane
Urinary Tract Infection
posted 03-30-2008 04:34:06 PM
quote:
Maradon! posted

Currently I'm planning on voting libertarian, yet again. This year's candidate, Wayne Allan Root, has hockey hair.

Pfft. The picture I found on wikipedia pales in comparison to the champion of hockey hair, the master of the mullet, Barry Melrose.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 03-31-2008 12:12:37 PM
quote:
Verily, the chocolate bunny rabbits doth run and play while Naimah gently hums:
[QB]The Federalist papers, you'll have to excuse me for not remembering the exact number(edit: quotation below), state that the House is given short terms specifically so that they are forced to almost continuously campaign and remain in touch with the people they were to represent.

While it isn't do what the people want every time, Representatives have very real short term repercussions for not following the desires as they are given to them, particullarly in the form of polls. Saying it isn't in the constitution therefore it isn't done is a fallacy.

edit:

From Federalist 57:

Being accountable and in touch with the people do not equate to being required to act only as the polls indicate the people want.

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 03-31-2008 02:38:26 PM
quote:
Bloodsage had this to say about pies:
Being accountable and in touch with the people do not equate to being required to act only as the polls indicate the people want.

Nor does it say that they should ignore the will of the people and act only in the best interest of the state. Congressmen should lean towards the former, while senators towards the latter.

Reynar
Oldest Member
Best Lap
posted 03-31-2008 02:47:45 PM
quote:
Naimah said this about your mom:
Nor does it say that they should ignore the will of the people and act only in the best interest of the state. Congressmen should lean towards the former, while senators towards the latter.

I wouldn't bother, if I were you.

"Give me control of a nation's money, and I care not who makes its laws."
-Mayer Rothschild
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: