EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: 11 year-old girl dies after prayer treatment fails
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 03-27-2008 09:03:40 AM
Shocking, I know.

Some choice quotes:

quote:
The girl's parents, Dale and Leilani Neumann, attributed the death to "apparently they didn't have enough faith," the police chief said.

They believed the key to healing "was it was better to keep praying. Call more people to help pray," he said.

The mother believes the girl could still be resurrected, the police chief said.

And...

quote:
The girl has three siblings, ranging in age from 13 to 16, the police chief said.

"They are still in the home," he said. "There is no reason to remove them. There is no abuse or signs of abuse that we can see."

It doesn't occur to the police that these parents are clearly insane? I mean, it's basically dumb luck that their three other kids don't have some sort of chronic illness. Sure, if you're stupid enough to believe that just prayer is going to save you, and it's your life on the line, then there's no real problem with that. But when you have the power to deny your child life-saving medical treatment for a treatable condition because you think your invisible man in the sky is going to save her, you probably shouldn't be caring for other kids.

Oh, I almost forgot:

quote:
Vergin said an autopsy determined the girl died from diabetic ketoacidosis, an ailment that left her with too little insulin in her body, and she had probably been ill for about 30 days, suffering symptoms like nausea, vomiting, excessive thirst, loss of appetite and weakness.

So not only did the child die, but she suffered needlessly for a month before dying. Awesome.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 03-27-2008 09:17:01 AM
Before I even read the article, I'm calling Oklahoma or Utah.

Wisconsin? Oh snit.

Blindy. fucked around with this message on 03-27-2008 at 09:17 AM.

Skaw
posted 03-27-2008 09:17:03 AM
The fact that they relied on PRAYERCILLIN is pretty comical when you read that they don't even go to church.

But yeah, I was unaware neglect wasn't a form of abuse.

Blindy.
posted 03-27-2008 09:19:04 AM
Maybe the local mega-church wasn't hardcore enough for them.

Seeing as this happened in Wisconsin instead of Oklahoma or Utah, I'd think so.

Blindy. fucked around with this message on 03-27-2008 at 09:19 AM.

Akiraiu Zenko
Is actually a giddy schoolgirl
posted 03-27-2008 09:43:54 AM
Shit, Blindy, even here they're usually not THAT bad...
The artist formerly known as Zephyer Kyuukaze.
Blindy.
posted 03-27-2008 09:50:03 AM
Don't you live near OK city?
Akiraiu Zenko
posted 03-27-2008 09:55:35 AM
About 45 minutes south of it, though I'm shortly moving to Norman, which is about 15 minutes south of it.
Blindy.
posted 03-27-2008 09:59:26 AM
You know my brother was just in OK city on business, and he said at the "work station" in the business hotel he was staying at, they had three resources.

1- The yellow pages.
2- A dictionary/thesaurus.
3- A bible.

Akiraiu Zenko
posted 03-27-2008 10:10:09 AM
I've never been to a hotel anywhere in the country that didn't have bibles.
Monica
I've got an owie on my head :(
posted 03-27-2008 10:11:26 AM
quote:
Zephyer Kyuukaze wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
Shit, Blindy, even here they're usually not THAT bad...

Yeah, they're fucking nuts, but they're usually not as bad as this.

And dude, if you're moving to Norman, we can totally hit some bars around OKC or something. We can go to the Asian district for super awesome food beforehand, even!!!

I'm really far up on the north side of OKC, probably about 10 minutes from Edmond. So kinda ehhh from Norman but not real bad.

Monica fucked around with this message on 03-27-2008 at 10:13 AM.

Akiraiu Zenko
posted 03-27-2008 10:17:12 AM
That would be fun! I'm terribly shy, though. I'm sure I'd be horribly awkward at first.
Monica
posted 03-27-2008 10:18:29 AM
I'm totally awkward!!! Ask Azakias. I'm a lot better than I was then, but she totally knows.
Akiraiu Zenko
posted 03-27-2008 10:21:58 AM
*giggles* Oh, great! We could both be awkward! And my sweetie's really shy, too.
Azakias
Never wore the pants, thus still wields the power of unused (_|_)
posted 03-27-2008 11:06:02 AM
quote:
Monica probably says this to all the girls:
I'm totally awkward!!! Ask Azakias. I'm a lot better than I was then, but she totally knows.

Seriously.

I'll be around that area probably in about two or three months. We'll have to catch up.

"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
Blindy.
posted 03-27-2008 11:12:39 AM
quote:
Zephyer Kyuukaze - Zephyer Kyuukaze = 0:
I've never been to a hotel anywhere in the country that didn't have bibles.

Usually they are in the bedside drawer, if they are there. Most of the places I've been to lately are leaving them out. The funny thing is that this was at the desk in the lobby with the phone and everything for the traveler on the go.

WAIT I've got to check Leviticus real quick before I go to that meeting!

Greenlit
posted 03-27-2008 01:42:36 PM
I always spend a few minutes reading the Bible while I wait for the hooker to show up.
Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 03-27-2008 02:20:01 PM
quote:
Blindy. had this to say about Robocop:
Usually they are in the bedside drawer, if they are there. Most of the places I've been to lately are leaving them out. The funny thing is that this was at the desk in the lobby with the phone and everything for the traveler on the go.

WAIT I've got to check Leviticus real quick before I go to that meeting!

He has to quote Job correctly or he'll never see the NOC list.

Monica
posted 03-27-2008 02:37:03 PM
quote:
Azakias was listening to Cher while typing:
Seriously.

I'll be around that area probably in about two or three months. We'll have to catch up.

I'm game. Could be fun!

Trent
Smurfberry Moneyshot
posted 03-27-2008 04:24:13 PM
no no Blindy, silly boy, Utah is known for Mormons(though it's not really odd to have "The Church" and a few blocks north the largest gay area in the area), not Christian Scientist(which i'm shocked they are not a part of that religion).
Pvednes
Lynched
posted 03-27-2008 04:32:03 PM
In nature, the wages of sin is death.
Greenlit
posted 03-27-2008 05:08:23 PM
quote:
Delphi Aegis had this to say about Punky Brewster:
He has to quote Job correctly or he'll never see the NOC list.

That was a good one, Delphi.

Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 03-27-2008 05:32:41 PM
quote:
Greenlit said this about your mom:
That was a good one, Delphi.

I get a good one once about every year or so.

Azakias
posted 03-27-2008 05:52:47 PM
quote:
Check out the big brain on Delphi Aegis!
I get a good one once about every year or so.

Is that Lloyd in your sigpic?

They're making a Symphonia sequel for the WII, ya know.

"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
Delphi Aegis
posted 03-27-2008 06:03:24 PM
quote:
OMGAzakiasAzakiasAzakiasAzakiasAzakiasAzakiasAzakiasAzakiasAzakiasAzakiasAzakiasAzakiasAzakiasAzakiasOMG
Is that Lloyd in your sigpic?

They're making a Symphonia sequel for the WII, ya know.

Yeah, it is. I'd heard about that too; Kinda interested to see where they take it, considering the first one was pretty good in and of itself.

Greenlit
posted 03-27-2008 06:15:08 PM
Wait you actually liked that piece of shit
I thought you had that picture ironically
Maradon!
posted 03-27-2008 06:32:55 PM
The worst part is that there is precisely zero chance that they will ever get medical help for any of their children, no matter how many of them die. They'll never see it as proof that their beliefs are wrong.

It's just God choosing to "work in mysterious ways," or maybe it was just "their time to be with Jesus"

People like this literally make me sick.

Azakias
posted 03-27-2008 06:37:44 PM
Even more frightening is how the other children are considered to be in no danger and are being left in the home.

When the last time they took the daughter in question to medical was when she was THREE to get shots, there is something seriously wrong. The other children have probably not seen a doc in about the same amount of time...

Delphi Aegis
posted 03-27-2008 09:29:20 PM
quote:
OMGGreenlitGreenlitGreenlitGreenlitGreenlitGreenlitGreenlitGreenlitGreenlitGreenlitGreenlitGreenlitGreenlitGreenlitOMG
Wait you actually liked that piece of shit
I thought you had that picture ironically

It was something to do when I was.. what, 19? 20? Whenever the hell I played it?

Greenlit
posted 03-28-2008 01:35:26 AM
I couldn't finish it.

It was a parade of trite cliches. Every cutscene or conversation became a game of predicting the sudden and pointless 'twist'.

Delphi Aegis
posted 03-28-2008 01:44:53 AM
quote:
Greenlit stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:
I couldn't finish it.

It was a parade of trite cliches. Every cutscene or conversation became a game of predicting the sudden and pointless 'twist'.

I don't remember much of the story, which should say something about it. I kept playing for the interactive battles. Kept it fresh and interesting, instead of dreading each battle or bossfight, I was actually looking forward to them at the end.

There's even a newgame+ like feature, but I restarted it so long after finishing the game that the timing in combat is lost entirely, and bosses rape me while I'm powerful enough to one-shot any general trash mobs, so I can't even practice.

Azakias
posted 03-28-2008 09:59:33 AM
I've been on a Japanese cliche RPG kick lately, so I have played all the Tales games out in the US. If you take them for what they are, they are decent. I've found most of the JRPGs are cliche with their story, though.

I've moved on to Lost Odyssey and Jeanne D'Arc though. I think I might be getting out of the cliche phase.

Arttemis
Not Squire... but a guitar!
posted 03-28-2008 10:13:38 AM
quote:
Azakias thought about the meaning of life:
I've been on a Japanese cliche RPG kick lately, so I have played all the Tales games out in the US. If you take them for what they are, they are decent. I've found most of the JRPGs are cliche with their story, though.

I've moved on to Lost Odyssey and Jeanne D'Arc though. I think I might be getting out of the cliche phase.

Not with Lost Odyssey!

Arttemis fucked around with this message on 03-28-2008 at 10:13 AM.

Azakias
posted 03-28-2008 11:57:27 AM
quote:
Arttemis had this to say about Tron:
Not with Lost Odyssey!

Really?

Just started it last night. I didnt think it was as bad, so far.

Am I in for a disappointment?

Blindy.
posted 03-28-2008 12:29:11 PM
Just every cliche in the RPG book.
Maradon!
posted 04-01-2008 10:09:08 PM
Skaw
posted 04-01-2008 10:15:12 PM
quote:
So quoth Maradon!:
Remaining 3 children removed from the home

Too bad it's only until the investigation ends.

quote:
"There is no physical evidence of abuse or neglect," he said.

Yeah, if you ignore the one dead daughter who was forbidden to see a doctor.

Skaw fucked around with this message on 04-01-2008 at 10:15 PM.

Maradon!
posted 04-01-2008 10:26:47 PM
quote:
Over the mountain, in between the ups and downs, I ran into Skaw who doth quote:
Too bad it's only until the investigation ends.

Think about that for a second skaw - the investigation is going to end with criminal negligence charges at the very least. They've confessed to as much.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 04-01-2008 at 10:27 PM.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 04-29-2008 11:06:11 AM
Update: Parents have been charged with second-degree reckless homicide.

Here's hoping they get it to stick.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Greenlit
posted 04-29-2008 03:05:05 PM
love the html in the page title

gg

Big Easy
Pancake
posted 05-01-2008 12:03:45 AM
quote:
Greenlit's account was hax0red to write:
I always spend a few minutes reading the Bible while I wait for the hooker to show up.

Hey, it's better to spill your seed in the belly of a whore than on the ground.

Quoting select biblical phrases to justify objectionable practices FTW!

"A little rebellion now and then is a good thing." -- Thomas Jefferson
"Unbelievably, a goldfish can kill a gorilla. However, it does require a substantial element of surprise." -- George Carlin
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin
"I finally figured out what e-mail is for. It's for communicating with people you'd rather not talk to." -- Also George Carlin
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity." -- "The Second Coming" by Wm. Butler Yeats
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: