EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Lost Odyssey
nem-x
posted 02-07-2008 10:48:08 AM
wth is this

is it good y/n

Nobuo uematsu did some music from what i hear

Tier
posted 02-07-2008 10:52:41 AM
What, it's out?
nem-x
posted 02-07-2008 10:56:41 AM
nem-x
posted 02-07-2008 10:56:50 AM
tFUCKING RETARD
Pancake
posted 02-07-2008 11:02:12 AM
To the best of my knowledge, it's from the guys that did Xenogears as well as some of the early FF games and is likely to be a new Square series.
There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive.
Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 02-07-2008 11:03:09 AM
Not out till next week according to sites such as EBGames, etc.

It looks good, though time will tell if thats true or not. The premise is you're playing a guy who has lived for over a 1000 years. It tells the story of his numerous lifetimes of conflicts, loves and losses.

The story and graphics are so massive that it also comes on 4 DVDs.

Katrinity fucked around with this message on 02-07-2008 at 11:04 AM.

Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Pouncer of the 12th degree!
"Cxularath ftombn gonoragh pv'iornw hqxoxon targh!"
Translated: "Sell your soul for a cookie?"
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 02-07-2008 11:50:01 AM
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Mr. Gainsborough
posted 02-07-2008 12:20:20 PM
it's 4 discs long what the fuck
Timpofee
Mancake
posted 02-07-2008 01:12:54 PM
quote:
Verily, Karnaj doth proclaim:

BWHAHAHAHAH
Take that you snot nosed lil bitch!!!
ok well that was out of context but man it was fun to type

Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 02-07-2008 01:24:09 PM
quote:
Mr. Gainsborough had this to say about Jimmy Carter:

I know the masses have been clamoring for longer gameplay time over number of games released, but 4 disks? Seriously? Not cool.

quote:
Innovative RPG gameplay features. "Lost Odyssey" blends massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) elements into the game's traditional RPG system, enabling players to make strategic decisions for a more immersive and deep gameplay experience.

So it's a witcher clone in terms of "Hay guys people like mmogs but not the mmo, lets make single player mmogs we must make a mint"?

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 02-07-2008 01:34:48 PM
Or maybe it is blending in elements of a popular genre, much like many games, after the success of the Diablo series, started to blend in RPG elements. It could also be a simple "Let's use a buzzword to get people interested" type thing.

I really don't think this game is going to be a "single player MMO" any more than Final Fantasy 12 may have seemed like one.

As for the four disc length, I'd bet that it is because they use some pretty large textures or something, not because the game is hundreds of hours long. As per IGN's Review:

quote:
Lost Odyssey is spread over four discs, a first for a 360 title. Don't let the number of discs scare you off. The game world is not enormous and even with every side quest you should be done within 50 hours. The extra discs are needed, apparently, because of the considerable amount of cutscenes. This is a story-heavy game that mixes beautiful CG and in-game cinematics.

Falaanla Marr fucked around with this message on 02-07-2008 at 01:39 PM.

Akiraiu Zenko
Is actually a giddy schoolgirl
posted 02-07-2008 03:31:56 PM
It's by Mistwalker Studios, which was founded by Nobuo Uematsu, Akira Toriyama, and Hironobu Sakaguchi. Basically, the people responsible for the original Chrono Trigger, and alot of Squaresoft's earlier games. I've high hopes.
The artist formerly known as Zephyer Kyuukaze.
Mr. Gainsborough
posted 02-07-2008 03:34:56 PM
quote:
Zephyer Kyuukaze had this to say about dark elf butts:
It's by Mistwalker Studios, which was founded by Nobuo Uematsu, Akira Toriyama, and Hironobu Sakaguchi. Basically, the people responsible for the original Chrono Trigger, and alot of Squaresoft's earlier games. I've high hopes.

yeah, well they made Blue Dragon too so let's hope it's a tad better than mediocre this time

Tier
posted 02-07-2008 07:57:24 PM
quote:
Mr. Gainsborough had this to say about Tron:

It has to carry the whole Unreal Engine 3 on each disc.

Mr. Gainsborough
posted 02-07-2008 08:22:55 PM
that explains why the game is only 35-50 hours
Maradon!
posted 02-07-2008 09:02:39 PM
quote:
Peanut butter ass Shaq Karnaj booooze lime pole over bench lick:

It's always bothered me that the lady's hand is in the wrong final position for a slap.

Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 02-07-2008 09:22:34 PM
quote:
Maradon! thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:
It's always bothered me that the lady's hand is in the wrong final position for a slap.

Backhanded, then heil'd hitler.

Maradon!
posted 02-07-2008 09:55:26 PM
quote:
Delphi Aegising:
Backhanded, then heil'd hitler.

when you backhand someone you finish with your palm facing them. When you slap someone openhand, you use the arm opposite the direction you're going. Instead it looks like this woman karate chopped the girl.

Arttemis
Not Squire... but a guitar!
posted 02-16-2008 12:12:24 AM
Well I just finished the first disc (though apparently the game crashed after it asked me if I wanted to save before switching discs... joy), and so far I'm not particularly impressed. The "Thousand Years of Dreams" feature, where you unlock little short stories about the main character's past, is pretty interesting until you realize that they all boil down to trite little tales of mortality and the human condition which invariably end with "BUT SINCE KAIM IS A SIMPLE CAVEMAN, FROZEN IN A GLACIER AN IMMORTAL HE WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND SUCH THINGS". The stories would be much more interesting if they weren't so heavy handed.

The battle system is a pretty straightforward Final Fantasy-esque system, with a little timing element added through the "aiming ring" system, which basically boils down to holding down the right trigger and releasing at the right time. Unfortunately, the added element of timing has slowed battles down quite a bit, making random battles a bit more drawn out. There's also no intuitive ATB timers or CTB sidebar like in FF games. Instead, you command your whole party at once, one round at a time, and their actions are ordered based upon their stats and the action they're taking.

The story so far isn't particularly compelling - another tale of political intrigue, told through the eyes of an angsty amnesiac. The narration has a nasty habit of cutting away to something completely unrelated to whatever it is you're doing at the time, sort of to tell the player, "HEY IN CASE YOU FORGOT THERE'S THIS BAD GUY AND HE'S GOT AN EVIL PLOT". It gets a little annoying at times.

I guess what it really boils down to is that, at least so far, this is a pretty mediocre JRPG. I'm not sure I would recommend it to anyone.

Akiraiu Zenko
Is actually a giddy schoolgirl
posted 02-17-2008 02:49:39 AM
quote:
The logic train ran off the tracks when Arttemis said:
There's also no intuitive ATB timers or CTB sidebar like in FF games. Instead, you command your whole party at once, one round at a time, and their actions are ordered based upon their stats and the action they're taking.

You mean, normal turn-based combat?

The artist formerly known as Zephyer Kyuukaze.
Arttemis
Not Squire... but a guitar!
posted 02-17-2008 11:50:14 AM
quote:
And I was all like 'Oh yeah?' and Zephyer Kyuukaze was all like:
You mean, normal turn-based combat?

I suppose. I've not played a game where combat's handled this way in a long time, though.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: