EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Magazine spring compression
nem-x
posted 02-07-2008 10:45:58 AM
Kaiote
Shot in the Face
posted 02-07-2008 12:55:46 PM
fact.

But it depends on a lot of things.

My mom's S/O has a Tec-9 thats magazines have been loaded for about 10 years now. I unloaded them last year to prove a point, and he has to replace them all. He choose instead to reload them, and pretend it's not true. You can shake the bullets out of them.

Same dude, about 8 years back.. His 1911's mags had been left loaded for two months, and while they still would advance the bullets.. after 4 shots, it jammed. Feed strength on the springs had atrophied. Cheapo mags.

My 1911.. Springfield mags, left loaded by me being forgetful for three months. No issues at all.

Now, I do keep a mag loaded. Sits in the case with the gun. Locked. If I got time to get the gun, I got time to load and rack the slide. I unload and clean the mags every month. It may be paranoia, but I dont want it to ever go "Click" instead of "Boom".

Henry had been killed by a garden gnome.He had fallen off the roof onto that cheerful-looking figure. The gnome was made of concrete. Henry wasn't. - Dean Koontz, Velocity
nem-x
posted 02-07-2008 01:40:14 PM
Would half loading a magazine improve their life span
Kaiote
Shot in the Face
posted 02-07-2008 07:39:38 PM
Lesser tension on the spring.. makes sense to me, but I've never tried it.
Henry had been killed by a garden gnome.He had fallen off the roof onto that cheerful-looking figure. The gnome was made of concrete. Henry wasn't. - Dean Koontz, Velocity
Maradon!
posted 02-07-2008 07:49:03 PM
Revolvers also have springs in them, wtf.
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 02-07-2008 07:53:51 PM
Greenlit
posted 02-07-2008 08:24:52 PM
Just like Tal or Kaiote or Peyote or whatever the fuck his name is, my experience has been that it really depends on the quality of the mag to begin with.

The two Taurus mags I have for my PT-92 have held up like a champ when I've accidently left them loaded for a prolonged time. But I do have a handful of other assorted magazines that have crapped out on me due to compression. Rest in peace, original Ruger 10/22 mag.

Arttemis
Not Squire... but a guitar!
posted 02-07-2008 09:20:55 PM
I've always subscribed to the idea that cycling the spring - loading and unloading - probably wears things out faster than sitting compressed. Whether that's true or not, I can't really say - I'm not a metallurgist. This seems to be the opinion of others out on the internet, too... but, well, it's the internet.

I can only speak from personal experience, but I've shot rounds through AR, AK, and HK91 mags that have been loaded for at least 6 months, if not over a year, without any issues.

For what it's worth, I leave the two mags for my carry piece, a Glock 29, loaded at all times. Haven't had any problem with them, either - though they get cycled a lot more often than my rifle mags.

Arttemis fucked around with this message on 02-07-2008 at 09:24 PM.

Gork
Pancake
posted 02-18-2008 10:48:06 PM
Glock mags last I checked had no minimum shelf-life with the exception of a few *older series* mags that were discontinued because of an issue with the molding, or the plastic itself, not sure if they were actually recalled. (I don't think they bothered.) But I remember a glock rep telling me they had magazines loaded for 3 years plus and still Had no failures. I don't know of any such information coming from other companies.... I personally rotate my *home defense* magazines for my CZ-75 once a month or so, all the springs still seem healthy. Remember that guns require discipline, and you shouldn't be leaving anything sit for an extended period without maintenance anyway no matter what the published capabilities are. I make sure to at least oil all my stuff every other month at the worst.

As far as the theory on actually using/cycling the magazines causing more wear; The one swat dude I talked to at the gun shop I worked for actually kept a log on how many times his 1911's magazines had been used and how many rounds had gone through them. He always replaced them after X number of uses weather they seemed to have gotten *memory* or not. But I'm sure even high-end Wilson Combat 1911's magazines are quite a bit different than "modern styles" of magazines. I'd just say, Keep an eye out and give everything the attention deserves. If you take care of it, it will take care of you.

Another Unsolved Mystery is goin' down in history.
Kaiote
Shot in the Face
posted 02-19-2008 09:14:27 AM
quote:
Check out the big brain on Maradon!!
Revolvers also have springs in them, wtf.

Rested state until the the hammer or trigger is engaged. Sone have leaf prings that are always under tension, but it's a leaf spring. It's what they do.

But what Gork said is a whole bag of truth. There's no real excuse for leaving a mag loaded for so long. Company specs may say it's fine, but what if you got the dud that makes up the "exception".

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: