EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: A video game I could play with my girlfriend?
Inferno-Spirit
Sports Advocate
posted 01-26-2008 02:50:22 AM
I'm looking to find a video game that I can play with my girlfriend. Something along the lines of a modern King's Quest is probably the most practical solution, assuming one exists. I'm considering KOTOR and Fallout 2.

She plays Popcap and Windows games, mostly. She's played Super Mario Sunshine with low-moderate success.

It should be:

1) Capable of entertaining two players using only a single computer. This automatically rules out any first-person-shooter, arcade-style, MMO, etc.

2) Focused more towards the intelligent gamer(s); comedy, dialogue, problem solving. Not filled with terribly repetitive battles. While a good RPG would be reasonable, most that I've played are about 10% RPG and 90% random encounters.

3) Not overly challenging for a video game novice to manage.

4) Not overly dated, if possible. I've looked at some of the old VGA games (Leisure Suit Larry was so classic) and while awesome, I can only take them for so long.

"He lets the last Hungarian go, and he goes running. He waits until his wife and kids are in the ground and he goes after the rest of the mob. He kills their kids, he kills their wives, he kills their parents and their parents' friends. He burns down the houses they grew up in and the stores they work in, he kills people that owe them money. And like that he was gone. Underground. No one has ever seen him again. He becomes a myth, a spook story that criminals tell their kids at night. 'If you rat on your pop, Keyser Soze will get you.' And nobody really ever believes." - Roger 'Verbal' Kint, The Usual Suspects
Anakha's Wii
Pancake
posted 01-26-2008 03:17:15 AM
Zork: Grand Inquisitor.
"From the depths of my parent's basement, thy has truly struck a blow for nonconformity."
Mightion Defensor
posted 01-26-2008 03:22:55 AM
Throw a Sims game at her. Should keep her busy for a long time.
Dave
)_(
posted 01-26-2008 03:46:51 AM
Portal would fit that list.
nem-x
posted 01-26-2008 04:17:31 AM
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 01-26-2008 08:18:34 AM
Super Mario Galaxy, if you have a Wii. She can be your star bit collector/enemy incapacitator.
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Mr. Gainsborough
posted 01-26-2008 12:35:35 PM
Anakha's Wii
Pancake
posted 01-26-2008 12:50:04 PM
See Also:Return to Zork.
"From the depths of my parent's basement, thy has truly struck a blow for nonconformity."
Inferno-Spirit
Sports Advocate
posted 01-26-2008 01:44:22 PM
Zork looks interesting, I'll have to see if I can find it. Graphical Adventure games were so good. I'll probably have to hunt down Monkey Island too.

I tried Portal already because it's so badass, but it only works if I work the mouse and she tells me what to do (because I've already beaten it, and she can't control a FPS to save her life).

I find Sims games terribly boring, and I'm trying to find a game we can both be involved in at the same time.

I've only got a PS2 and a Gamecube.

"He lets the last Hungarian go, and he goes running. He waits until his wife and kids are in the ground and he goes after the rest of the mob. He kills their kids, he kills their wives, he kills their parents and their parents' friends. He burns down the houses they grew up in and the stores they work in, he kills people that owe them money. And like that he was gone. Underground. No one has ever seen him again. He becomes a myth, a spook story that criminals tell their kids at night. 'If you rat on your pop, Keyser Soze will get you.' And nobody really ever believes." - Roger 'Verbal' Kint, The Usual Suspects
Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 01-26-2008 02:31:00 PM
Does she have a computer? If so you could play TitanQuest or the like over LAN without much trouble. Can't see anyone getting too confused over point and click.

And it's less horror than D2.

Mr. Gainsborough
posted 01-26-2008 02:54:17 PM
PC is a terrible choice for 2P games. Get Super Smash Bros. Melee, one of the Sonic games, Kirby's Air Ride, or some other game for Cube.
Zaeron
Pancake
posted 01-26-2008 03:49:01 PM
Old LucasArts adventure games sound right up her alley. Look up the Monkey Island series, it's full of puzzle solving and witty banter. If she likes to think outside the box she'll adore the series, and point and click adventure games are one of the best genres for two player one computer situations, in my opinion.
Zair
The Imp
posted 01-26-2008 05:11:17 PM
I would say Wii is the way to go. Most of the first party ones, and maybe Mario Galaxy specifically, because of the co op.

edit: after re-reading your last post, I guess my advice turns to buy a Wii.

Zair fucked around with this message on 01-26-2008 at 05:12 PM.

Inferno-Spirit
Sports Advocate
posted 01-26-2008 07:47:11 PM
quote:
When the babel fish was in place, it was apparent Zaeron said:
Old LucasArts adventure games sound right up her alley. Look up the Monkey Island series, it's full of puzzle solving and witty banter. If she likes to think outside the box she'll adore the series, and point and click adventure games are one of the best genres for two player one computer situations, in my opinion.

Yeah, they more I think about this the more it seems the way to go. I was kind of hoping for a newer version of the same thing, which is where my KOTOR and Fallout 2 idea were heading.

Sentow, I Guess
Pancake
posted 01-26-2008 07:50:44 PM
What about one of the LEGO Star Wars games? They're affectionate spoofs of the Star Wars films in the form of light-hearted platformer games with a LEGO theme. They're intended for children, so they aren't difficult, but they're surprisingly fun anyway. Plus, they're specifically designed for simultaneous co-op play.

EDIT: Typonoes!

Sentow, I Guess fucked around with this message on 01-26-2008 at 07:52 PM.

KIERKEGAARD

Sigpic shamelessly stolen from Kate Beaton.

Zaeron
Pancake
posted 01-26-2008 11:44:54 PM
quote:
Inferno-Spirit wrote this stupid crap:
Yeah, they more I think about this the more it seems the way to go. I was kind of hoping for a newer version of the same thing, which is where my KOTOR and Fallout 2 idea were heading.

I know there was at least one monkey island game new enough to have full voice acting, if I remember right. It was funny as hell. I never finished it (I'm horrible at puzzle games), but it was always fun to watch my mom play through it.

As far as I know though, that genre is sort of dead, and the big problem I see with KOTOR or Fallout is all the combat gets really boring to just sit and watch. She doesn't sound like the sort of girl who'd be real eager to watch you blow stuff up a lot of the time.

Gadani
U
posted 01-26-2008 11:53:27 PM
MY GIRLFRIEND and I play guitar hero and rock band together.

This isn't really what you're looking for, I guess, but it's still fun as hell.

Peter
Pancake
posted 01-26-2008 11:57:05 PM
quote:
When the babel fish was in place, it was apparent Zaeron said:
I know there was at least one monkey island game new enough to have full voice acting, if I remember right. It was funny as hell. I never finished it (I'm horrible at puzzle games), but it was always fun to watch my mom play through it.

I think Every Lucasarts Adventure game except for the orginal Maniac Mansion and one of the Monkey Islands(Possibly the Indiana Jones one) can be had with full voice acting.

Which reminds me, has any one played the newer Sam and Max games?

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 02-05-2008 12:52:33 PM
If you have a Wii: Raving Rabbids 2.

Works for all non-hardcore gamers, really.

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Kait
has made another completely pointless and off-topic post that nobody cares about
posted 02-07-2008 05:10:05 PM
Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles.
It's great for multiplayer, lots of interaction and cooperation, and if she can't figure out combat, have her be the chalice bearer while you take out bad guys.
You need two GBAs though.
"A black cat dropped soundlessly from a high wall, like a spoonful of dark treacle and melted under the gate."
-Elizabeth Lemarchand
Mr. Parcelan
posted 02-07-2008 06:10:01 PM
HAHAHAHAHQHA
Greenlit
posted 02-07-2008 06:26:42 PM
"take boat"
`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 02-08-2008 07:43:15 AM
quote:
Structural Greenlitity is failing, captain!
"take boat"
"blow up raft"
Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: