EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Happy New Year! Oil hits $100 per barrel!
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 01-02-2008 01:30:17 PM
Glad I don't have any summer road trips planned.
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Maradon!
posted 01-02-2008 05:57:17 PM
Cool!

Well, we still got a 4.7% gdp growth rate and unemployment below 4.5% as of december, so I guess our economy really won't collapse once oil hits 100 a barrel like everyone said it would.

In fact, the only real problems we have are the credit crisis and the dollar in the shitter, both the result of government mismanagement! Funny how that works out.

Reynar
Oldest Member
Best Lap
posted 01-03-2008 12:47:07 AM
Gas actually went down here, filled up for less than $3 a gallon; it has been a while since I have been able to do that.
"Give me control of a nation's money, and I care not who makes its laws."
-Mayer Rothschild
Maradon!
posted 01-03-2008 07:12:17 AM
Yeah, there's a huge disparity in stations around here. Highway stations are somewhere around 0.10 more than backroads stations. It's really odd.
Dr. Gee
Say it Loud, Say it Plowed!
posted 01-03-2008 02:41:10 PM
quote:
Check out the big brain on Maradon!!
Yeah, there's a huge disparity in stations around here. Highway stations are somewhere around 0.10 more than backroads stations. It's really odd.

I've always seen that. What's been odd recently is seeing the highway stations about .30 more than the backroad ones and still doing booming business.

Maradon!
posted 01-03-2008 04:47:35 PM
quote:
Over the mountain, in between the ups and downs, I ran into Dr. Gee who doth quote:
I've always seen that. What's been odd recently is seeing the highway stations about .30 more than the backroad ones and still doing booming business.

yeah that too

I mean what the hell

Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 01-03-2008 04:55:39 PM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Maradon!:
yeah that too

I mean what the hell

Are you genuinely suprised that the convenience of a major highway with large volumes of traffic can charge more than a gas station servicing a small community of consistant consumers?

I agree that 10 or 20 cents difference is a little bewildering, but I've seen a good 50 cent drop just crossing the border from PA to delaware. haha

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 01-03-2008 05:11:26 PM
It's the same in Germany. Highway gas stations are always slightly more exepnesive than inner-city ones. That shouldn't surprise any intelligent person.
~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Noxhil2
Pancake
posted 01-03-2008 05:12:11 PM
Actually, I usually see major thoroughfares charge less since

1) There are more gas stations (competition)
2) Gas is low margin (profit per unit) anyway, and higher volume = lower possible price
3) Lower distribution costs for places on a major thoroughfare

Stations servicing small communities have a monopoly and can charge whatever they want since you have to drive 50 miles away to get gas. And it also costs more to supply them.

Edit: This is referencing back road vs. highway stations

Noxhil2 fucked around with this message on 01-03-2008 at 05:13 PM.

Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 01-03-2008 05:16:08 PM
But a person on a highway who NEEDS gas can't neccisarily drive too far off their course because they either don't know the area, or they are that low on gas, forcing them to pay a preimum for the convenience of having it right off the highway, whereas a backwoods station might see fewer customers, but will see the same customers at almost the same time with minor variations in output.

I'm trying to sound smart and really I'm just bullshitting. Can you tell?

Maradon!
posted 01-03-2008 07:50:58 PM
quote:
Delphi Aegising:
Are you genuinely suprised that the convenience of a blah blah blah blah

No, you fucking tard, I'm surprised that the disparity is so much larger than it usually is.

quote:
Over the mountain, in between the ups and downs, I ran into Noxhil2 who doth quote:
Actually, I usually see major thoroughfares charge less since

You're living in bizarro world then.

I've driven through every state on the eastern coast south of new york. Almost every day I drive on the highways to the small communities out in fucking lancaster and the other buttfuck little towns where there's horse poop on the road, and the gas stations on the highways are ALWAYS higher.

I mean, your reasoning is sorta sound, but all 3 of then are overridden by simple supply and demand.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 01-03-2008 07:53:55 PM
Hahaha, if oil gets too pricey, then I'll hire Karnaj and Maradon as my comical butlers. One is an uptight conservative, the other is a slovenly liberal! I call it: Durkin and Squee.
Maradon!
posted 01-03-2008 07:57:23 PM
I don't understand how that scenario follows from rising oil prices!

Also, I am probably the least uptight person in the entire world.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 01-03-2008 at 07:57 PM.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 01-03-2008 08:00:01 PM
I assumed that you would lose your job due to the fact that you can drive nowhere and also because you are cripplingly poor and have an innate desire to serve.
Delphi Aegis
posted 01-03-2008 08:34:32 PM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about (_|_):
You're living in bizarro world then.

I've driven through every state on the eastern coast south of new york. Almost every day I drive on the highways to the small communities out in fucking lancaster and the other buttfuck little towns where there's horse poop on the road, and the gas stations on the highways are ALWAYS higher.

I mean, your reasoning is sorta sound, but all 3 of then are overridden by simple supply and demand.

Hey! I lve near Lancaster. It's not buttfuckville.

In fact, Lancaster City has the oldest continually operating central market in america!

Peter
Pancake
posted 01-03-2008 10:13:18 PM
quote:
Delphi Aegis had this to say about John Romero:
...I agree that 10 or 20 cents difference is a little bewildering, but I've seen a good 50 cent drop just crossing the border from PA to delaware. haha

That drop is a is most likely in tax. I remember seeing a big time one on interstate 80 between Ohio and Illinois, one had tolls on their side of the road and you could see like a $0.60 difference between the truck stops right on the border. I imagine on of the reasons NJ has fairly cheap prices is that their isn't as much road taxes as other state, mainly form out tolls roads like the Garden State Cashcow.

Though this summer I really don't want to drive my gas guzzling Ford anymore. Shit I drive like less than 15 minutes back and forth to work and the danm thing sucks like $60-$70 a week in gas. Thinking of switching to 2 wheel transportation, or hell walking, since most places are well with in half an hours walk.

Dr. Gee
Say it Loud, Say it Plowed!
posted 01-04-2008 02:40:59 AM
Ya I'm looking forward to being able to walk damn near everywhere from where I live at school. The only time I'm going to have to drive is to go to Soo Bahk three times a week or back down to San Diego once or twice a month.
Mr. Gainsborough
posted 01-05-2008 04:05:28 AM
quote:
Dr. Gee had this to say about Punky Brewster:
Ya I'm looking forward to being able to walk damn near everywhere naked

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: