EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Stop my friend from playing Gemstone IV.
Mr. Gainsborough
posted 12-18-2007 10:46:01 AM
What's a good cheap/preferrably free online RPG game that can run on a low end computer with a 56k modem? She's paying out the ass per month (like 50 bucks a month or some BS what the balls) for this shitty game and I wanna get her into something that's at least cheaper, if not more fun that a fucking text based MMO.

Give me some options. She likes fantasy settings. (oh man a fantasy RPG? slim pickin's i know)

Maradon!
posted 12-18-2007 12:27:32 PM
You're pretty much looking at a korean grindfest in that price range

AO would run lowend, and is free without expansions for a year. Also, it's so old and honed that playing it even for the first time is like slipping into a favorite underpants.

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 12-18-2007 12:28:30 PM
quote:
Mr. Gainsborough needs to hitch a ride with a Vogon constructor fleet.
like 50 bucks a month or some BS what the balls
$15/month according to their website, which means that WoW & co. won't be cheaper (though they'd probably be better).

Nothing specific comes to mind at the moment, though I'm sure plenty of them are out there.

Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Mr. Gainsborough
posted 12-18-2007 02:41:28 PM
quote:
`Doc probably says this to all the girls:
$15/month according to their website, which means that WoW & co. won't be cheaper (though they'd probably be better).

Nothing specific comes to mind at the moment, though I'm sure plenty of them are out there.

She's paying for a superaccount or whatever because her fiancee has been playing since the early 90s or some BS. There's two payment options. One lets you have multiple characters.

Peter
Pancake
posted 12-18-2007 06:14:36 PM
quote:
Mr. Gainsborough impressed everyone with:
on a low end computer with a 56k modem? ..

How low end is it?
I think DAoC can mostly run on it's orginal client. It is fairly basic, and if she stuck to PvE I don't think the 56k would kill her, Though why they pay $50 for game sub and not have a broadband has me curious. Does she live in Lesser West Bumfuck?

EQ1?
Guild Wars?

Sentow, I Guess
Pancake
posted 12-18-2007 08:24:33 PM
Dungeon Runner?
I like how the game's top-billed feature is that it's free =3
KIERKEGAARD

Sigpic shamelessly stolen from Kate Beaton.

Bricktop
Old and Gay
posted 12-18-2007 09:26:24 PM
Man, I played Gemstone back when it was Gemstone III. Then I got into the alpha for DRAGONREALMS and never played Gemstone again and played Dragonrealms for years.

I was like 12.

A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent.
Mr. Gainsborough
posted 12-18-2007 11:45:31 PM
quote:
Peter was naked while typing this:
Though why they pay $50 for game sub and not have a broadband has me curious. Does she live in Lesser West Bumfuck?

She's said they can't get cable out there, but there's no way she couldn't get DSL. But her fiancee is too stubborn to go for it anyways. He's a big douchebag.

EQ1 might be a good suggestion. I bet without the expansions or whatever to keep it extra low-end, she'd probably like it.

Willias
Pancake
posted 12-18-2007 11:51:56 PM
quote:
Mr. Gainsborough wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
I bet without the expansions or whatever to keep it extra low-end, she'd probably like it.

Except for the part where SOE is a bunch of faggots who go in and revamp classic content with new crap.

Would suggest Warcraft, but the original game is still $50, right? HMM.

Willias fucked around with this message on 12-18-2007 at 11:56 PM.

Faelynn LeAndris
Lusty busty redheaded wood elf with sharp claws
posted 12-19-2007 01:22:51 AM
quote:
Cool Hand Luke had this to say about Reading Rainbow:
Man, I played Gemstone back when it was Gemstone III. Then I got into the alpha for DRAGONREALMS and never played Gemstone again and played Dragonrealms for years.

I was like 19-20ish.

^^^ This. Played it up until 2001 even after I started EQ.

I still had more fun in DragonRealms than any single other MMO to date. More so than most graphical MMORPGs. It was just plain fun.

Hell, I ran the Ranger guild for more than 4 years. Me, Starcatcher, Mestralle and a few others.

And this game even had PERMANENT DEATH! OHONOES! Unless you quested for "EXTRA LIVES!" anyway.

Once AOL went flat rate, it more or less started going to shit, and when it went webbased is when I finnaly got past my affection for it when all the kiddies spammed it to hell. GEnie rocked.

I think Batty was pretty big into it if I recall.

Faelynn LeAndris fucked around with this message on 12-19-2007 at 01:53 AM.

My LAUNCHCast Station
"Respect the Forest, Fear the Ranger"
I got lost for an hour and became god.
Cherveny
Papaya
posted 12-19-2007 03:37:57 AM
Don't know if it's stll the case, but Ultima Online was still supporting their old 2-D client just a year or so ago. If they still spport using it, it might be a good choice too, as that 2-D client is very light weight. The new "3-D" client (that's really the same isomorphic top down view but with extra graphics) tends to be a thicker, so if that's the only version of the client they support now, that may not be as easy to run on a small machine.
Bricktop
Old and Gay
posted 12-19-2007 02:27:03 PM
quote:
The logic train ran off the tracks when Faelynn LeAndris said:
I think Batty was pretty big into it if I recall.

Dragonrealms was where I first met Batty and then I didn't see him for like four years until we bumped into each other here. But everytime I tell the story he's like "GOD DAMN DON'T YOU GET TIRED OF TELLING THAT RETARDED STORY" so I digress.

p.s. between me batty and KAINAN and his in game wife tziane or whatever i don't remember we were like THE thieves. And Kruass but he joined the Warrior Mage guild about halfway through beta

Cool Hand Luke fucked around with this message on 12-19-2007 at 02:32 PM.

Batty
Doesn't Like You. Specifically you.
posted 12-19-2007 03:08:14 PM
quote:
From the book of Cool Hand Luke, chapter 3, verse 16:
Dragonrealms was where I first met Batty and then I didn't see him for like four years until we bumped into each other here. But everytime I tell the story he's like "GOD DAMN DON'T YOU GET TIRED OF TELLING THAT RETARDED STORY" so I digress.

p.s. between me batty and KAINAN and his in game wife tziane or whatever i don't remember we were like THE thieves. And Kruass but he joined the Warrior Mage guild about halfway through beta

GOD DAMN DON'T YOU...oh wait.

And yeah, Soim was well known too, but only because he was a circling addict.

Bricktop
Old and Gay
posted 12-19-2007 03:16:41 PM
quote:
Batty had this to say about Cuba:
GOD DAMN DON'T YOU...oh wait.

You're just mad because I had a Trailblazer's Badge until it got graverobbed before graverobbing was against the rules and I was told tough luck.

Batty
Doesn't Like You. Specifically you.
posted 12-19-2007 03:34:05 PM
quote:
Cool Hand Luke wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
You're just mad because I had a Trailblazer's Badge until it got graverobbed before graverobbing was against the rules and I was told tough luck.

Pffft. You wish.

I also remember fondly being the first or second S'kra Mur Empath. Batutisz was actually made when the web changeover happened, I think.

Faelynn LeAndris
posted 12-19-2007 05:44:21 PM
quote:
The logic train ran off the tracks when Cool Hand Luke said:

Kruass was at VegasCon, he was pretty much warrior head honcho for the day with the warrior group there. I actually knew him. Luckily I never met that asshole Batty during my time there so he wasn't able to abuse me until he came to EC. Then again, all the rangers were pretty much elitist snobs, we didn't associate much with the other guilds outside of the Paladin/Warrior guilds for some reason. I don't think it was intentional, but more that we just took so long to fully develope and Treveri had to go to bat for us so much that we kinda just stuck mostly together. No one associated with Bards, not even the other Bards.

Coincidentally, I got out all our home movies the other day after I asked Mort some questions about copying stuff over to DVD from the PC. I still have all my VegasCon video heh.

Thieves were bastards. My poor empath was always broke from the damn pickpockets camping the boat docks.

My LAUNCHCast Station
Mr. Parcelan
posted 12-19-2007 06:03:13 PM
Hey guys, let's discuss the pinnacle of our worthless lives.
Mr. Parcelan
posted 12-19-2007 06:03:41 PM
Remember being tough guys on text-based RPGs? Wooooo-hooo-hooooooooah nelly.
Mr. Parcelan
posted 12-19-2007 06:03:57 PM
Yeah man, we were like THE theives.
Mr. Parcelan
posted 12-19-2007 06:04:35 PM
I and a bunch of other men posing as women were the leaders of the Ranger guild.
Mr. Parcelan
posted 12-19-2007 06:04:52 PM
Ha ha ha, yeah I remember that.
Mr. Parcelan
posted 12-19-2007 06:05:12 PM
Welp Imma go hang myself now.
Faelynn LeAndris
posted 12-19-2007 06:41:48 PM
nm, Started watching the Video again XD. Not Kruass, similar name, but not the same guy.

Guess I didn't know either of you two, but then again, the only thief friend I had was Rim.

My LAUNCHCast Station
Mr. Parcelan
posted 12-20-2007 02:01:25 AM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan has sealed the pact
Welp Imma go hang myself now.

^ ^ ^ This.

Mr. Parcelan fucked around with this message on 12-20-2007 at 02:02 AM.

Bricktop
Old and Gay
posted 12-20-2007 07:31:31 AM
quote:
This one time, at Mr. Parcelan camp:
Yeah man, we were like THE theives.

The Thieves guild was hidden and at that time there were only like thirty people in it because no one knew where it was.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: