EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: GOP Youtube/CNN debate tonight
Zair
The Imp
posted 11-28-2007 06:21:59 PM
CNN is holding a live debate tonight where the GOP candidates will field questions submitted by people on youtube. Could be interesting, depending what questions they go with, I guess. We are guaranteed to at least get at least a handful of unique questions out of this (I hope).

It starts at 8PM Eastern (in an hour and a half). I think you can watch it live on CNN.com too, if you can navigate their cluttered website.

Who wants to bet how often the word "Hillary" is mentioned?

Zair fucked around with this message on 11-28-2007 at 06:31 PM.

Zair
The Imp
posted 11-28-2007 07:50:16 PM
10 minutes!!

And it has been hinted that the awkward and completely undignified talking snowman might return to ask the candidates questions!

Maradon!
posted 11-28-2007 08:32:17 PM
How bizarre for candidates to frequently mention the opposition's front runner!
Zair
The Imp
posted 11-28-2007 08:59:52 PM
Actually, they are logically attacking each other constantly, instead.

Haha, Guiliani is getting booed by mentioning he supports even slight gun control laws.

edit: now all the candidates are taking turns listing exactly what guns they own.

Zair fucked around with this message on 11-28-2007 at 09:02 PM.

Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 11-28-2007 09:25:03 PM
quote:
I wish Zair would say this more often:
Actually, they are logically attacking each other constantly, instead.

Haha, Guiliani is getting booed by mentioning he supports even slight gun control laws.

edit: now all the candidates are taking turns listing exactly what guns they own.

It's like they're in a pissing contest.

Or a penis comparison match.

Zair
The Imp
posted 11-28-2007 09:58:13 PM
Romney won't come out against waterboarding.

Pretty much all of them are against gays and lesbians in the military, because it would offend the values of the "primarily conservative" young men and women enlisting, in so many words.

I didn't realize that was a good enough reason to deny someone admission.

One of the candidates just answered a question about space travel to Mars with the response that we should put Hillary on the rocket to Mars.

Not a Roll Eyes smilie big enough

Zair
The Imp
posted 11-29-2007 03:45:25 AM
All questions and answers are easily viewable here: http://www.youtube.com/republicandebate

Highlights:

Question 1: All the candidates have to stand around really awkwardly while a fat guy from the internet sings to them for a couple minute.

Q 15: The wang-waving "what guns do you own" question. McCain has the only acceptable response.

Q 19: Do you Believe Every Word in the Bible? It is fun to watch Mitt Romney stutter and panic on this one.

Q 21: John McCain makes Romney look like an idiot as Romney refuses to take a stand on whether waterboarding is torture or not.

Q 25: The candidates say "No queers in the military". Then the audience boos and heckles a gay retired Brigadier General in the audience. Classy bunch.

I honestly thought Guiliani came off the best in the debate.

Romney ended up looking like a pretty pathetic guy who was so over-prepped and over-coached to be inoffensive that he didn't take a stand on anything.

Noxhil2
Pancake
posted 11-29-2007 05:46:33 AM
I thought McCain and Giuliani looked the best in the debate. Romney looked pretty bad to me, and I was utterly bored by Thompson and Ron Paul. It was pretty funny when Giuliani said we shouldn't allow criminals and the mentally ill to have guns and he got booed.
Arttemis
Not Squire... but a guitar!
posted 11-29-2007 12:54:02 PM
No surprises so far in this thread!
Mr. Parcelan
posted 11-29-2007 01:12:51 PM
It's not that hot to be a Libertarian right now. Ideally, we're for lower taxes, more personal responsibility and less gun control as well as a greater adherence to individual rights.

Then Ron Paul comes along and every overweight goon and his mother decides to become a Libertarian in the name of being edgy and outrageous.

Then there's Arttemis.

At times, I often feel remorse for not helping him grow up to be a better man. So many times do I look back at opportunities wasted. So many regrets course through me as I wonder what might have been.

And now...what can I do?

Mr. Parcelan fucked around with this message on 11-29-2007 at 01:14 PM.

Mr. Gainsborough
posted 11-29-2007 01:55:30 PM
"Why don't many African-Americans vote Republican?"

if that's not a loaded question, i don't know what is

Mr. Gainsborough
posted 11-29-2007 01:58:13 PM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan had this to say about Pirotess:
Then there's Arttemis.

At times, I often feel remorse for not helping him grow up to be a better man. So many times do I look back at opportunities wasted. So many regrets course through me as I wonder what might have been.

And now...what can I do?

vote gun control

Maradon!
posted 11-30-2007 08:26:37 AM
It's funny; when the democrats have a youtube debate, all their questions come from liberal activists, but when the republicans have a youtube debate, all thier questions come from liberal activsts.
Mr. Gainsborough
posted 11-30-2007 10:42:53 AM
Youtube debates are essentially slightly classier "ROCK DA VOTE", so who cares?
Maradon!
posted 11-30-2007 10:48:04 AM
quote:
x--ZairO-('-'Q) :
Q 25: The candidates say "No queers in the military". Then the audience boos and heckles a gay retired Brigadier General in the audience. Classy bunch.

You realize that Keith Cur is a current member of Hillary's campaign right?

He was booed because he was so obviously lobbing grenades at the candidates and asking loaded questions at a republican primary debate that aren't even related to any candidate's platform.

There were handfuls of activists there and not a single question was of interest to the primaries. The debate is generally considered to be proof of CNN bias.

Batty
Doesn't Like You. Specifically you.
posted 11-30-2007 10:50:33 AM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Maradon!:
There were handfuls of activists there and not a single question was of interest to the primaries. The debate is generally considered to be proof of CNN bias.

I think the debate is actually considered proof that asking youtube for questions is fucking stupid.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 11-30-2007 10:53:35 AM
CNN has creationists on it. No self-respecting liberal would ever associate with anyone vaguely religious, let alone someone as laughably religious as a creationist.
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Zair
The Imp
posted 11-30-2007 11:29:54 AM
quote:
So quoth Maradon!:

What about the immigration questions? And the question on exactly what government programs would be cut? And the ones on gun control? and abortion? And taxes?

How are these not in interest to the primaries?

Also, the gay general was interesting because we got to see Romney sweat and waffle when he was asked to defend his statement from 1994 that he was "looking forward to the day gays could serve openly". He has since flip flopped on that.

Romney refused to take a stance on a lot of issues in that debate actually. It was pretty sad.

Maradon!
posted 11-30-2007 12:33:15 PM
The immigration questions were all loaded bullshit, too.

The entire debate was

"Dear sirs, why are you so racist?"
"Why do you want to kill children?"
"Why do you want to take our government programs away?"
"Do you really believe this conspiracy theory?"

Maradon!
posted 11-30-2007 12:35:36 PM
quote:
Over the mountain, in between the ups and downs, I ran into Batty who doth quote:
I think the debate is actually considered proof that asking youtube for questions is fucking stupid.

While that's true, don't forget that these questions are all hand-sorted by the CNN proctors. They're the ones who decide what's asked. It's pointless really, because it amounts to CNN being the ones who are really asking the questions. If 1 person out of 5000 asks a question that whoever works at CNN wants asked, they just pick that question. All YouTube does is provide a talking head.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 11-30-2007 12:42:01 PM
quote:
Aw, geez, I have Maradon! all over myself!
The immigration questions were all loaded bullshit, too.

The entire debate was

"Dear sirs, why are you so racist?"
"Why do you want to kill children?"
"Why do you want to take our government programs away?"
"Do you really believe this conspiracy theory?"

They did the same thing for Kucinich, asking him if he ever saw a UFO or some asinine bullshit like that. While I understand that Kucinich is a nut, what place do UFOs have in what's supposed to be a legit debate?

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Batty
posted 11-30-2007 12:43:05 PM
Man, I feel bad for those proctors then. Having to basically sort through what amounts to youtube comments in video form.
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 11-30-2007 12:46:26 PM
Also consider the demographics. I doubt Joe Sixpack from Cock Fuck, Texas is doing a lot of blogging on the ol' Youtube, but you can probably count on him voting Republican (assuming he votes at all). Meanwhile, Atheist McLiberal in Abortiontown, California does nothing but annoying Youtube videos, so....

Beer.

Maradon!
posted 11-30-2007 05:58:18 PM
quote:
Peanut butter ass Shaq Karnaj booooze lime pole over bench lick:
They did the same thing for Kucinich, asking him if he ever saw a UFO or some asinine bullshit like that. While I understand that Kucinich is a nut, what place do UFOs have in what's supposed to be a legit debate?

Kucinich's buddy and spiritual guide wrote a book detailing how Kucinich saw a UFO, that it was accompanied by the smell of roses, and that he heard voices in his head instructing him.

So that's where that came from.

Maradon!
posted 11-30-2007 06:03:36 PM
quote:
Over the mountain, in between the ups and downs, I ran into Zair who doth quote:
Also, the gay general was interesting because we got to see Romney sweat and waffle when he was asked to defend his statement from 1994 that he was "looking forward to the day gays could serve openly". He has since flip flopped on that.

First of all, "flip flopping" is changing your stance on drivers licenses for illegal aliens twice in the same sentence. Changing your mind on an issue over the course of 14 years isn't quite the same thing.

Second, you DO realize that "Don't Ask Don't Tell" was the work of the Clinton administration, right?

quote:
Over the mountain, in between the ups and downs, I ran into Karnaj who doth quote:
Also consider the demographics. I doubt Joe Sixpack from Cock Fuck, Texas is doing a lot of blogging on the ol' Youtube, but you can probably count on him voting Republican (assuming he votes at all). Meanwhile, Atheist McLiberal in Abortiontown, California does nothing but annoying Youtube videos, so....

CNN paid Keith Cur for his comment out of their own collective wallet.

There is pretty much zero doubt that this was intended to be a mud slinging fest deliberately set up by CNN.

Zair
The Imp
posted 11-30-2007 06:10:51 PM
quote:
Maradon!'s fortune cookie read:
First of all, "flip flopping" is changing your stance on drivers licenses for illegal aliens twice in the same sentence. Changing your mind on an issue over the course of 14 years isn't quite the same thing.

Second, you DO realize that "Don't Ask Don't Tell" was the work of the Clinton administration, right?

First of all, did you watch the clip? Romney didn't even really change his position. He went from having a position 14 years ago, to being too spineless to have one now. Despite being pointedly asked it several times, he refused to confirm or deny whether he still stands by this statement. It is pretty clear.

Second, I'm not allowed to be against things established in the Clinton Administration? What does that have to do with it?

Zair fucked around with this message on 11-30-2007 at 06:11 PM.

Zair
The Imp
posted 11-30-2007 06:26:36 PM
quote:
Zair had this to say about dark elf butts:
First of all, did you watch the clip? Romney didn't even really change his position. He went from having a position 14 years ago, to being too spineless to have one now. Despite being pointedly asked it several times, he refused to confirm or deny whether he still stands by this statement. It is pretty clear.

Second, I'm not allowed to be against things established in the Clinton Administration? What does that have to do with it?

EDIT: Romney even got booed by the heavily Republican crowd because he was so blatant in his dodging.

Maradon!
posted 11-30-2007 06:35:43 PM
I seriously doubt that it was a heavily republican crowd.

Anyway, Romney fucked his response up, but the portrayal of that question (at least before they found out that Cur was a clinton plant) was that he'd been stuck having to support the horrible DADT policy that brings about the horrible oppression of gays in the military.

In reality, it's more probable that, while he might support don't ask don't tell, he just didn't spend a second's thought on DADT because it's not an issue that's in any way relevant to the republican primaries and so it caught him off guard. He still fucked up, but the fact that the guy was a plant and asking a loaded question kinda changes the nature of the interaction.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 11-30-2007 at 06:36 PM.

Batty
posted 11-30-2007 06:41:30 PM
quote:
Maradon! attempted to be funny by writing:
but the fact that the guy was a plant

I do believe he was in fact an animal.

Zair
The Imp
posted 11-30-2007 06:53:48 PM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about Punky Brewster:
I seriously doubt that it was a heavily republican crowd.

Lets see....

- They booed the General. Even if it was because he was obviously asking loaded questions, wouldn't a dirty hippy liberal crowd love that?

- They booed Guiliani when he mentioned he was for reasonable gun control laws. In fact, they booed as soon as he got to the word reasonable, which is sort of funny.

- They cheered whenever Jesus was mentioned

Also, like their focus group after the show, I was under the impression they specifically let in people who identified themselves as Republicans, since they will be the only ones voting for these guys in January/February.

I'm sure there were some lieberals and demoncrats who infiltrated, but if it was anything close to a majority, they sure chose weird places to boo and cheer.

Zair
The Imp
posted 11-30-2007 07:03:15 PM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about Tron:
In reality, it's more probable that, while he might support don't ask don't tell, he just didn't spend a second's thought on DADT because it's not an issue that's in any way relevant to the republican primaries and so it caught him off guard. He still fucked up, but the fact that the guy was a plant and asking a loaded question kinda changes the nature of the interaction.

Regardless, we both know HE knew whether he stood by his previous statement or not, but he sure was scared to tell us. Same with the waterboarding question. And the 1994 statement question was from Cooper, the moderaor, not the general.

Also, if he can't spin a loaded question back on someone, maybe he needs more practice for these presidential debates. Huckabee and Hunter answered the question just fine. I completely disagree with their answer, but they had pretty clear ones.

Maradon!
posted 12-01-2007 04:50:00 PM
quote:
Peanut butter ass Shaq Zair booooze lime pole over bench lick:
Regardless, we both know HE knew whether he stood by his previous statement or not, but he sure was scared to tell us. Same with the waterboarding question. And the 1994 statement question was from Cooper, the moderaor, not the general.

Also, if he can't spin a loaded question back on someone, maybe he needs more practice for these presidential debates. Huckabee and Hunter answered the question just fine. I completely disagree with their answer, but they had pretty clear ones.

Which is why I say he did fuck up, but it's not really unreasonable for that to have happened.

Romney is a business and economics geek. He's never been as smooth and smarmy as the clintonesque Giuliani or even Thompson. Some of the candidates just aren't political media moguls. It really doesn't have anything to do with being a good president, but sadly, they need to be in order to convince people.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: