EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Just when you thought Dwarf Fortress couldn't get any more difficult...
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 11-24-2007 11:10:23 AM
Three-dimensional fortresses.

quote:
# Z coordinate allows you to dig out fortresses with multiple levels. Build towers or conquer the depths.

Oh my.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 11-24-2007 04:05:33 PM
How would that even work?
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 11-24-2007 11:10:39 PM
Beats me, but I know that I'd build a magma tank above my main entrance and cook whoever's trying to invade.
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Y.O.T.C
No longer a Towel Girl
posted 11-27-2007 11:48:34 AM
Download the newest version here to stop the horrors of bandwidth rape on Toady's server.
Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 11-28-2007 09:46:23 AM
The difficulty has been majorly ramped up. Previously, there were only a few starting positions and each one had guaranteed features - Cliff Wall, Cave River, Chasm, Magma, Adamantine. They also had a full range of rocks and a full range of minerals, so any starting position would have full metal production available (Iron, Copper, Tin, Brass, Zinc, Coal, etc. ores all available). Your choice of starting position only affected the amount of vegetation/trees and the local wildlife.

Now everything's drastically changed. You can select any spot on the map, even inside of other towns, to build your fort. Locations now have geologically appropriate stone, and the types of minerals that appear are geologically accurate. Which means I can never find a good source of iron that's nearby a flux material so I can make steel. I've always got to trade for the stuff, which gets old waiting for caravans to arrive and hoping that they have the stuff I want.

Aquifers have been created, making it incredibly difficult if not impossible to dig down in certain areas, as every time you do it just gets flooded out immediately. God help you if you've got a double-layered Aquifer.

Water has been redone, and now has depth. Deep water is 7, shallow water is 1. Flooding a room full of 7-deep water will drown anyone in it and never recede. It must be pumped out so the room is full of 1-deep water, which will allow farms to be built. This means that irrigation is now a major pain in the ass. Farming on rock is a nightmare. There is now soil, which can be mined but produces no stone and can be farmed without irrigation, which is what most non-masochistic players use now.

Power has been added. Placing a water wheel over a flowing water tile or a windmill in a windy area will generate power. Axles and gears have been added to transfer the power around, and everything is well and good except power only really helps with pumps and millstones, both of which can be done far easier with fewer materials by hand, making it pretty much useless.

On the plus side, nobles are not as annoying and bitchy as they used to be. The first four nobles (Expedition Leader, Bookkeeper, Broker, Manager) are now appointed, so you can assign any dwarf you like to the tasks. Trading is improved as well, as you no longer need to build a road to the edge of the map to receive wagons from human traders. Your first year you'll get a visit from the Dwarven Liason so you can start requesting things right away if you're in dire need of something.

Overall, I don't like the newer version as much as the old. There's a lot of interesting new stuff, but the 'endgame' is not as clearly defined or as easy to reach. Previously you'd just mine as far as you can, with increasing challenges the deeper you go (River creatures, Chasm Creatures, Magma Creatures, Demon Pits) then you reach the Adamantine which sooner or later ends the game.

Now you no longer have the ability to count on Adamantine when you get that deep, you don't have the ability to always look forwards to digging a bit deeper and a bit further to reach the next challenge; it lacks severely in that regard.

Khyron
posted 11-28-2007 05:07:09 PM
One interesting thing about the Z-Axis, though, is that someone's already started using it to make a great pyramid.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/poi-2126-pyramidbase

Khyron
posted 11-29-2007 02:36:25 PM
If you're bored, reading the bug list is also hilarious. http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev_bugs.html

000369 □ [dwarf mode][buildings] when fire spreads over filled coffins, the corpses inside catch on fire, and the bones pop out of the coffin

000043 ▪ (0.22.120.23b) [dwarf mode][creatures] children in bags made copies of themselves

000089 □ [dwarf mode][jobs][cooking and food] a farmer walked into a room, grabbed a bed, and planted it

000334 □ [dwarf mode][justice] hammerer uses mouth when unable to carry hammer, carries around severed limbs in mouth for years

000131 □ [dwarf mode][pets] tame raccoons attack cougars

Khyron fucked around with this message on 11-29-2007 at 02:36 PM.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: