EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Nightwish - Dark Passion Play
Tier
posted 11-02-2007 03:36:29 AM
I'm not sure what to make of this album.

On the one hand, the band seems to be putting more effort in its music, and the new vocalist is rather good.

On the other hand, we get to hear more of the not-so-good male vocalist which was formerly mostly put aside for Tarja.

And the lyrics make even less sense than before.

I guess I like this album, but no matter how you cut it, it's not the same band.

Maradon!
posted 11-02-2007 07:10:06 AM
Anette Olzon could bring me to orgasm using nothing but her voice.

But yeah the male vocals are cheesy. It sounds like the guy jumped out of a christian rock band.

Since when have metal lyrics made sense?

Alidane
Urinary Tract Infection
posted 11-02-2007 10:40:40 AM
quote:
Asha'man posted

On the other hand, we get to hear more of the not-so-good male vocalist which was formerly mostly put aside for Tarja.

This is silly. Marco's vocals aren't as operatic or traditional as the female vocals, but they work pretty well where they're used. It's an interesting counterpoint. 7 Days To The Wolves wouldn't be nearly as good without him on the chorus.

Other high points: Last of the Wilds, Meadows of Heaven, Bye Bye Beautiful (aka Wish I Had An Angel v2)

No shit it's not the same band--it's not the same people. However, it sounds like they'll be able to perform their previous stuff pretty well live, and it's not like they radically changed genres, so I don't really know why this is really a bad thing.

Maradon!
posted 11-02-2007 11:55:50 AM
I think the problem with the male vocals is that they just seem out of place, juxtaposed as they are against operatic power metal and the angelic female vocals.

Marco makes you feel like you should be rocking out, while the music and Anette make you feel like you want to just be in thrall and listen.

Noxhil2
Pancake
posted 11-03-2007 04:52:36 AM
The Poet and The Pendulum is absolutely fantastic and an example of how to use the male singer's voice. The new female singer is really good, she isn't better or worse than the old one, just different.
Tier
posted 11-03-2007 05:14:35 AM
Yeah, she reminds me of Amy Lee now that I think of it. Except that her backing band doesn't suck like Evanescence.

The new sound is good too, but it can hardly be compared to opera like it could with Tarja, minus a few parts of Poet and the Pendulum.

Greenlit
posted 11-03-2007 12:00:54 PM
Has this band ever put out an original recording as good as their cover of Roll Tide?
Maradon!
posted 11-03-2007 12:31:51 PM
I think Dark Passion Play is better and more distinctive than any of their older material.

But I actually get a boner from Amaranth and Meadows of Heaven, so I may be biased

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: