EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Nintendo Wii sells over half million units during HALO MONTH (september)
Greenlit
posted 10-18-2007 09:15:15 PM
quote:
HW Sales
PlayStation 2 215K
PlayStation 3 119.4K
PlayStation Portable 284.5K
Xbox 360 527.8K
Wii 501K
Nintendo DS 495.8K
Game Boy Advance 75K

SW Sales
360 HALO 3* MICROSOFT (CORP) 1 3.3 million
WII PLAY W/ REMOTE NINTENDO OF AMERICA 2 282K
NDS LEGEND OF ZELDA: PHANTOM HOURGLASS NINTENDO OF AMERICA 3 224K
PS2 MADDEN NFL 08 ELECTRONIC ARTS 4 205K
360 SKATE ELECTRONIC ARTS 5 175K
360 MADDEN NFL 08 ELECTRONIC ARTS 6 173K
WII METROID PRIME 3: CORRUPTION NINTENDO OF AMERICA 7 167K
360 BIOSHOCK TAKE 2 INTERACTIVE (CORP) 8 150K
NDS BRAIN AGE 2: MORE TRAINING IN MINUTES A NINTENDO OF AMERICA 9 141K
PS3 HEAVENLY SWORD SONY (CORP) 10 139K

Greenlit
posted 10-18-2007 09:16:21 PM
in other news microsoft is just being mean to sony

quote:
Xbox 360 Tops Console Sales in September and outsells PS3 5:1
o Xbox 360 sales built upon its growth from last month, showing a 50 percent increase for the month of September selling an average of 105,600 consoles per week. Total sales were more than 528,000 Xbox 360 consoles sold, compared to 501,000 for Wii and 119,000 for PS3.

o PS3 sales posted an average weekly decline of 27 percent.

Xbox 360 software revenue at retail outsold PS3's software portfolio 8:1 and Wii's 4:1, selling 3 times more than both platforms combined.
o For the month of September according to NPD, Xbox 360 software represented 74 percent of total software sales for the next generation market compared to 17 percent for Wii and 9 percent for PS3. Even without the sales of "Halo 3" the Xbox 360 portfolio outsold the PS3 portfolio 2:1.

Additionally, Xbox 360 is home to the best-selling games with the top-rated next-generation titles.
o According to the world-wide authority in entertainment reviews, Metacritic, Xbox 360 has 80 titles with a Metacritic review score of 80 or higher compared to just 31 for PS3 and 11 for Wii.

o Newly released title "The Orange Box" (Valve) and the highly anticipated title "Mass Effect" (Microsoft Game Studios) have both generated rankings of 97 and higher according to Metacritic. And not to forget "BioShock" (2KGames) which remains one of the year's highest rated games.

Xbox 360 held six spots in the Top Ten Console Games, led by initial sales of "Halo 3" Xbox 360
o In its first two weeks, the three editions of "Halo 3" placed #1, 2 and 3 overall for console title sales - for a total of more than $225 million in sales in the U.S. with 3.3 million units. Average unit prices were $69 per game. The $130 "Halo 3: Legendary Edition" alone sold twice as many units as the top title for PS3 "Heavenly Sword" (SCE); the helmet is mightier than the sword.

o Proving that Xbox 360 is the new home for sports gamers, "Madden NFL '08" (EA) on Xbox 360 was again the leading next gen platform with 173,000 units sold, compared to the PS3 at 62,000 and Wii at 58,000. To date, "Madden NFL '08" has sold 1.1 million units on Xbox 360, 87 percent more than other next-gen platforms combined.

o Xbox 360 exclusive "BioShock" has sold 641,000 units through the end of September and remains to be on track to sell more than 1 million units. While "Halo 3" and "Madden NFL '08" have led the way as the first of a string of titles that are expected to sell more than 1 million units between now and the end of the year.

o Rounding out the top titles for Xbox 360, "Skate" (EA) came in at #6. The Xbox 360 version of the innovative titles outsold the PS3 version 6:1.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 10-18-2007 09:35:10 PM
i'm really confused as to who is buying these and how many of them ever plan on playing anything but wii sports and maybe wii play
Alaan
posted 10-18-2007 09:50:49 PM
There just must be something us "serious" gamers don't get. This is the first console my brother has owned since the original Nintendo.
Reynar
Oldest Member
Best Lap
posted 10-18-2007 10:02:07 PM
Most "serious" gamers fail to realize they do not make up the majority of game sales.
"Give me control of a nation's money, and I care not who makes its laws."
-Mayer Rothschild
Greenlit
posted 10-18-2007 10:02:09 PM
i honestly don't know who is buying all the wiis
i would like to see sales figures of wii hardware versus software from launch, because i think there are a lot of people out there with just wiisports
Greenlit
posted 10-18-2007 10:03:33 PM
quote:
Reynar was naked while typing this:
Most "serious" gamers fail to realize they do not make up the majority of game sales.

No I am legitimately interested in whether or not people are actually buying videogames to play on their Wii.

Reynar
Oldest Member
Best Lap
posted 10-18-2007 10:05:21 PM
quote:
Greenlit had this to say about Matthew Broderick:
No I am legitimately interested in whether or not people are actually buying videogames to play on their Wii.

No idea. Though it wouldn't be the first time something like that happened. I know lots of people who've purchased the newest game console only so they could play the new versions of Madden.

Several of my friends have the 360 and just that one game.

-Mayer Rothschild
Azakias
Never wore the pants, thus still wields the power of unused (_|_)
posted 10-18-2007 10:06:17 PM
I know some of my peers at work who are buying WIIs have not owned another console, ever, except maybe a super nintendo waaaay back when they were new.

I think their reasons for buying it was the gimmicky controller. They also either have younger children or they think it will somehow help them do moderate aerobic type exercise.

Everyone else I know who is interested in consoles have 360's.

"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
Alaan
posted 10-18-2007 10:06:58 PM
In PC sales it's very true that "real gamers" don't actually put the most money into the industry. It isn't nearly so much in consoles though.
Reynar
Oldest Member
Best Lap
posted 10-18-2007 10:10:05 PM
quote:
Alaan's unholy Backstreet Boys obsession manifested in:
In PC sales it's very true that "real gamers" don't actually put the most money into the industry. It isn't nearly so much in consoles though.

I would be curious to see this years sales of Madden games vs everyone else once the numbers are in. I remember a few years ago the 2nd and 3rd best selling games combined didn't top Madden sales--which is almost exclusively played by casual gamers.

-Mayer Rothschild
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 10-18-2007 10:15:06 PM
quote:
Greenlit had this to say about Optimus Prime:

That's the attach rate. Try to find the Wii's attach rate and report back because I'm interested

Alaan
posted 10-18-2007 10:16:56 PM
quote:
Kegwen spewed forth this undeniable truth:
That's the attach rate. Try to find the Wii's attach rate and report back because I'm interested

I'm finding ones from last year/earlier this year which aren't terribly useful. And I find it hard to believe the attach rate of 6.something one site had as of January of 07.

Alaan fucked around with this message on 10-18-2007 at 10:17 PM.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 10-18-2007 10:18:22 PM
quote:
Alaan thought about the meaning of life:
I'm finding ones from last year/earlier this year which aren't terribly useful. And I find it hard to believe the attach rate of 6.something one site had as of January of 07.

There was only one game worth owning that wasn't a pack-in in January '07 what the hell

Mr. Gainsborough
posted 10-19-2007 12:22:00 AM
Even the good games for Wii aren't being bought. It IS a system being bought for Wii Sports, Wii Play, Carnival Games, Wario Ware, and all that bullshit. Whenever a Wii game gets sold at my store it's almost always a minigame collection or a kid's game. And I guarantee you that Wii Fit will sell even more than the other two from what I've heard about it.

Soccer moms see it as the easy out to make their kids happy without having to spend as much money as 360 or PS3.

Also, 360 just got ANOTHER lower price option. There's a $279 model again that this time comes with a 512 memory card, and 5 arcade games (little bit more too, but i forget what.) The Pro at 349.99 comes with Forza 2 and Marvel: UA. They also say that by Christmas they're going to make it so that the highest priced option for the 360 is as much as the lowest price PS3 option or lower, meaning that the Elite is going to come down to a maximum of 399.99.

I'm usually not in the league of console wars, but it's really hard to believe that the PS3 will survive Christmas. It lost Monster Hunter 3 to the fucking Wii. A system with half if not less graphical power and far worse controls is now going to have one of the biggest selling franchises in Japan. Monster Hunter Freedom 1 and 2 literally sold Japan their PSPs. It's not a big deal here, but if Japanese people don't even have a reason to buy it, then the future for the console is dismal.

Dreamcast had an excuse in piracy. It was their fault, but there was little they could've done after the fact. What's Sony's excuse?

Mr. Gainsborough fucked around with this message on 10-19-2007 at 12:23 AM.

Greenlit
posted 10-19-2007 12:23:33 AM
Ten year lifespan.
Mr. Gainsborough
posted 10-19-2007 12:29:04 AM
quote:
Greenlit said this about your mom:
Ten year lifespan.

in dog years?

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 10-19-2007 12:41:45 AM
Sony isn't going to throw in the towel even if they remain in third for the entire cycle so stop with this nonsense

The big thing Sony will learn from this generation is humility. They'll come at the next gen and the latter part of this gen with everything they possibly can and it will probably be glorious like the Playstation 1 was at its time. Microsoft will learn how to make shit that doesn't break. Nintendo will stay the course because they're fucking loaded

Kegwen fucked around with this message on 10-19-2007 at 12:44 AM.

Mr. Gainsborough
posted 10-19-2007 12:43:00 AM
quote:
A sleep deprived Kegwen stammered:
Sony isn't going to throw in the hat even if they remain in third for the entire cycle so stop with this nonsense

You're right, only if it's because they're too arrogant to give up. But if sales keep dropping, more developers are gonna be like ok w/e fuck you guys we're going over here. Then Sony will have a 1st Party console and we all know how good SCEA games are.

Skaw
posted 10-19-2007 12:43:24 AM
quote:
Mr. Gainsborough thought about the meaning of life:
in dog years?

More like gastrotrich years.

Skaw fucked around with this message on 10-19-2007 at 12:43 AM.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 10-19-2007 12:47:31 AM
quote:
Nobody really understood why Mr. Gainsborough wrote:
You're right, only if it's because they're too arrogant to give up. But if sales keep dropping, more developers are gonna be like ok w/e fuck you guys we're going over here. Then Sony will have a 1st Party console and we all know how good SCEA games are.

Uh if they attempted to give up shareholders would stop them before anything got done

Also Sony really isn't that arrogant right now. Most of their rhetoric is considerably more humble than pre-launch and it's evident to me that they're throwing everything they've got into the PS3's rocky future to try to do the very best they can in the fallout of all the shit they set themselves up for

Mr. Gainsborough
posted 10-19-2007 12:50:03 AM
I'm sorry I'm just basing arrogance off their press conference quotes, don't mind me. (no i'm not citing sources go away, i said ps3 isn't giving up you fag)
Mooj
Scorned Fanboy
posted 10-19-2007 02:06:53 AM
quote:
Kegwen wrote this stupid crap:
Uh if they attempted to give up shareholders would stop them before anything got done

Also Sony really isn't that arrogant right now. Most of their rhetoric is considerably more humble than pre-launch and it's evident to me that they're throwing everything they've got into the PS3's rocky future to try to do the very best they can in the fallout of all the shit they set themselves up for

Correct me if I'm wrong (And I could very well be wrong here), but isn't the PS3 largely responsible for Sony's sharp drop in profits last financial year?

If the PS3 doesn't start earning money hand over fist soon, I would not be at all surprised if the Shareholders demanded that they abandon it. Hemorhaging money is not appealing to shareholders at all, and right now that's what the PS3 and its division are doing to Sony.

Mr. Gainsborough
posted 10-19-2007 02:52:17 AM
Well, systems always are in the red their first year or two. That's just how things go. I'm assuming most stockholders worth a damn know that.
Mooj
Scorned Fanboy
posted 10-19-2007 05:55:50 AM
Most systems also manage to get a decent install base by the end of their first year. This is approaching the end of the PS3's first year, and the numbers are nowhere near what Sony wants.
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 10-19-2007 09:48:08 AM
I'm no Sony suit but I sort of doubt they're going to give it up at this point even if a bunch of armchair CEOs on the internet think they should
Mr. Gainsborough
posted 10-19-2007 11:01:46 AM
quote:
Kegwen obviously shouldn't have said:
I'm no Sony suit but I sort of doubt they're going to give it up at this point even if a bunch of armchair CEOs on the internet think they should

passive-aggressive sweeping jabs at 6 o'clock

sir we have a goon!

im still agreeing that they won't give up, but i also think that it's just because they're going to remain too stubborn for a long time, despite losses

Mooj
Scorned Fanboy
posted 10-19-2007 05:31:52 PM
Fuck you, just insult me if you want to. Jesus.

And if I wanted Sony to quit, I'd have said as much.

If I were in charge, I'd put Kaz Hirai and everyone else who assed things up in a room, tell them to innovate in a manner that DOESN'T involve plugging something with a high price tag into the PS3 or taking out vital aspects of the system to save money, or I'd bring in someone who could.

What I said, though, was that Sony is losing more money on the PS3 than it's worth. If I was a shareholder, I would want to know why the fuck Sony is making me have to cut back on my ivory backscratchers. They're a company that knows how to make money, and for some reason they're NOT, at least not where the PS3 brand is concerned. Nobody can refute that fact right now.

And before you go and repeat what Gains said about being in the red with the system, I'm saying that they're not making any money on the whole ordeal. They aren't moving the software numbers that they need to in order to be profitable, let alone the hardware numbers.

Greenlit
posted 10-19-2007 08:22:46 PM
uh Kaz Hirai is now CEO because Ken Kutaragi fucked things up

I'm still gonna give him some time to get things done, but he hasn't had much time to work.

Greenlit
posted 10-19-2007 08:24:12 PM
shit isn't Kaz Hirai the reason Sony has games like Jak, Ratchet & Clank, and Sly Cooper in the first place?

he's responsible for three of their five best franchises atm

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 10-19-2007 10:10:18 PM
innovative like the wii? no thanks
Greenlit
posted 10-19-2007 10:19:36 PM
i honestly do not deny that the wii is innovative in some small way for attracting such an oddball audience to video gaming but i fucking hate the fact that it has done so.

game developers (well, certain ones) have been trying so fucking hard to get gaming taken seriously by ANYONE and then nintendo goes "hey guys come swing this stick around - okay great now mimic shoving your finger up wario's nose"

it's just so :smith:

Steven Steve
posted 10-19-2007 10:24:11 PM
quote:
Greenlit had this to say about John Romero:
shit isn't Kaz Hirai the reason Sony has games like Jak, Ratchet & Clank, and Sly Cooper in the first place?

he's responsible for three of their five best franchises atm

Ha ha ha! I can't tell if this post is sarcastic or what.

"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Greenlit
posted 10-19-2007 10:43:12 PM
wait the last jak game sucked didn't it

okay so they've still got ratchet and clank

Greenlit
posted 10-19-2007 10:45:48 PM
sorry nevermind still can't find a way or reason to defend sony

here's to hoping for that 360 port of MGS4

Alaan
posted 10-20-2007 01:24:01 AM
quote:
Greenlit had this to say about Punky Brewster:
sorry nevermind still can't find a way or reason to defend sony

here's to hoping for that 360 port of MGS4

I hope the 4x user base does it for Kojima. Portable Ops and upcoming Portable Ops 2 feed my fix, but I would like 4.

Reynar
Oldest Member
Best Lap
posted 10-20-2007 07:13:52 AM
quote:
Kegwen obviously shouldn't have said:
innovative like the wii? no thanks

Yeah, what company in their right mind would want to innovate something that makes them millions?

-Mayer Rothschild
Alaan
posted 10-20-2007 11:02:29 AM
I claim the Wii sells millions because guys can make jerking off motions in public and not get yelled at.
Mr. Gainsborough
posted 10-20-2007 12:44:47 PM
quote:
We were all impressed when Alaan wrote:
I claim the Wii sells millions because guys can make jerking off motions in public and not get yelled at.

What about Guitar Hero?

Maradon!
posted 10-20-2007 06:52:18 PM
I still can't find any damn release-to-current sales figures for bioshock.

I really want them to make more bioshocks

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: