EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: A look at Christiany and the young folks
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 10-15-2007 01:12:48 PM
Brought to you by the good people at Barna.

For those of you who might not know, the Barna Group is a private research group whose primary focus is Christian ministries and other, similar groups. They are perhaps most well known for research published a few years ago, where they tried to show that Christians have more stable marriages than secular couples (as it turned out, the opposite was true, and in a pretty staggering manner). Despite any perceived agenda, there seems to be nothing off about their methods.

One of the things I thought was interesting was this:

quote:
As pointed out in the Barna Update related to atheists and agnostics, this is not a passing fad wherein young people will become "more Christian" as they grow up. While Christianity remains the typical experience and most common faith in America, a fundamental recalibration is occurring within the spiritual allegiance of America’s upcoming generations.

I'd always thought that people gradually got more religious as they got older, married, had kids, etc., but apparently that's not the case--at least, for most people. Whatever you have when you're young, you keep.

I also thought that it was interesting that 2/5 of the young population are now "outsiders." While it may not make itself apparent for, say, 10 or so years, it will probably be the case that, even in small town America, you won't be able to automatically count on your neighbors sharing your religious beliefs. It's certainly the case here in the Godless Northeast, but I'd wager that we're the exception, rather than the rule.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Azakias
Never wore the pants, thus still wields the power of unused (_|_)
posted 10-15-2007 02:18:24 PM
I know that my personal experience kinda mirrors what you said.

I've got two kids and I'm still closer to athiest than any other belief set.

That being said, I have already made the decision that whatever my kids wish to believe, I will not stand in their way. Hell, I'll even drive them to church and stay with them if they want and there is no one else to do it.

I was raised Baptist though... I dont even remember when I decided religion wasnt for me.

"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
nem-x
posted 10-15-2007 02:28:09 PM
quote:
From the book of Azakias, chapter 3, verse 16:

I've got two kids

Azakias
posted 10-15-2007 02:46:03 PM
Isnt this getting a little old yet?
"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
Mr. Gainsborough
posted 10-15-2007 02:47:33 PM
it's become an EC meme
Steven Steve
posted 10-15-2007 02:55:39 PM
An athiest with two kids!?!?

"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Mr. Parcelan
posted 10-15-2007 02:55:49 PM
quote:
Azakias's fortune cookie read:
Isnt this getting a little old yet?

Get fucked.

Oh wait hahaha

Steven Steve
posted 10-15-2007 03:21:49 PM
Heem heem heem heem
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."

Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 10-15-2007 06:18:27 PM
This just in- parents do things that embarrass 16-19 year olds in front of their friends, 16-19 year olds wish parents would stop doing these things.

News at 11.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 10-15-2007 10:13:46 PM
quote:
Blindy. still thinks SARS jokes are topical, as evidenced by:
This just in- parents do things that embarrass 16-19 year olds in front of their friends, 16-19 year olds wish parents would stop doing these things.

News at 11.

Wait what.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 10-15-2007 10:26:59 PM
quote:
How.... Karnaj.... uughhhhhh:
Wait what.

Rebellion against the impotent former protestors of yesteryear equates to supporting Christianity.

Maradon!
posted 10-15-2007 10:34:52 PM
The age of enlightenment lasted a pretty long time with no younger generations rebelling against their parents and going back to puritanical fundamentalist religion.
Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 10-15-2007 11:13:27 PM
I'm referring to the part of the article where they acted stupefied by the fact that the 16 to 19 year old Christians also expressed misgivings towards Evangelical Christianity, which is like one half of the argument.
Elvish Crack Piper
Murder is justified so long as people believe in something different than you do
posted 10-16-2007 12:16:54 AM
So, why is it so weird that an atheist has kids?

I missed the meme train.

(Insert Funny Phrase Here)
Willias
Pancake
posted 10-16-2007 12:29:10 AM
quote:
Elvish Crack Piper impressed everyone with:
So, why is it so weird that an atheist has kids?

I missed the meme train.

ugh, no

The meme is that every time Azakias posts something like "I have kids", the next few posts afterwards usually contain "wait, what" or nem's gasp gif.

Elvish Crack Piper
Murder is justified so long as people believe in something different than you do
posted 10-16-2007 12:35:14 AM
Spectacular, thanks.
(Insert Funny Phrase Here)
Gadani
U
posted 10-17-2007 05:38:48 PM
wasn't azakias engaged to someone that posted here?
Azakias
posted 10-17-2007 05:40:16 PM
quote:
Gadani had this to say about Captain Planet:
wasn't azakias engaged to someone that posted here?

Engaged, married, then divorced.

Then I went on with my life.

Steven Steve
posted 10-17-2007 05:41:20 PM
Don't let no man hold you down!

Gadani
U
posted 10-17-2007 05:50:04 PM
quote:
Azakias thought about the meaning of life:
Engaged, married, then divorced.

Then I went on with my life.

Who?

I cannot remember for some reason D:

Peter
Pancake