EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Minimum ammount of calories
Naimah
In a Fire
posted 10-03-2007 03:27:12 PM
How many calories can you limit yourself to daily without risking some type of permanent injury? I ask because I slaked off for 6 months not working out and eating fast food and gained 15lbs and now that I'm trying to get back into shape I can't do my normal regiment, read: 2 and a half hours of racquetball. I figure if I can drop 10lbs reltaivly quickly then I can go back to my normal thing and have a normal diet again.

So how low can one go?

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 10-03-2007 03:33:01 PM
quote:
Naimah had this to say about John Romero:
How many calories can you limit yourself to daily without risking some type of permanent injury? I ask because I slaked off for 6 months not working out and eating fast food and gained 15lbs and now that I'm trying to get back into shape I can't do my normal regiment, read: 2 and a half hours of racquetball. I figure if I can drop 10lbs reltaivly quickly then I can go back to my normal thing and have a normal diet again.

So how low can one go?

Try this, it is weight and age dependent

Probably isn't a good idea to try to drop the weight really fast, though, your body will hate the shit out of you. Better to do it slowly. The people that generally drop weight fast are fatasses like myself.

Steven Steve
posted 10-03-2007 03:41:29 PM
Generally if you are hungry then it is too low to be healthy or sustainable haha

For most adults that's a lower limit of 2000 calories a day or so. If you are physically active you might as well just eat according to your size (around 2500-3000 calories probably).

"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 10-03-2007 04:29:10 PM
Losing weight extremely fast is always, always, a bad idea. It leads to health problems down the road since you're not really getting enough nutrients/vitamins from natural sources.

Losing it slowly on a proven plan (weight watchers point system, for example) works if you stick to it.

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 10-03-2007 04:57:15 PM
Would having small ~150 calorie snacks whenever I get hungry be rational?
Mr. Gainsborough
posted 10-03-2007 05:01:02 PM
i think you could consider that a "ration", yes

Dr. Gee
Say it Loud, Say it Plowed!
posted 10-03-2007 05:10:51 PM
You need about 4290 calories during a typical day to maintain your current weight.

Wow, that seems way way higher than I eat on a day to day basis and I haven't been losing much weight even bumping my exercise up a decent bit.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 10-03-2007 05:30:31 PM
quote:
Dr. Gee said:
You need about 4290 calories during a typical day to maintain your current weight.

Wait what.

What the fuck. Where are you getting this rediculous information? If it's from someone else, please go give them a slap.

If you ate 4290 calories every day you'd turn into a human blimp.

Dr. Gee
Say it Loud, Say it Plowed!
posted 10-03-2007 05:34:25 PM
That's from the site Fal linked. Sorry, should have mentioned that.

Ya I agree Mort, it's an insane amount of calories for someone my size doing "light activity"

Lechium
With no one to ever know
posted 10-03-2007 05:48:25 PM
quote:
Mortious stopped staring at Deedlit long enough to write:
Losing it slowly on a proven plan (weight watchers point system, for example) works if you stick to it.

I'm hating weight watchers so much. My girlfriend got me onto it, and it's such a pain in the ass with portions and everything.

"The MP checkpoint is not an Imperial Stormtrooper roadblock, so I should not tell them "You don't need to see my identification, these are not the droids you are looking for."
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 10-03-2007 05:51:52 PM
quote:
Lechium said:
I'm hating weight watchers so much. My girlfriend got me onto it, and it's such a pain in the ass with portions and everything.

Yeah it's complicated.

But it works.

Steven Steve
posted 10-03-2007 05:52:29 PM
quote:
Everyone wondered WTF when Naimah wrote:
Would having small ~150 calorie snacks whenever I get hungry be rational?

Yes, spread out your meals as much as you can so that your blood sugar stays constant, or you are more likely to become hungry (not like stomach-rumbling hungry but just having a general craving) or lose weight in ways you didn't intend

Stalwart Steve fucked around with this message on 10-03-2007 at 05:54 PM.

"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."

Maradon!
posted 10-03-2007 06:57:36 PM
I have to eat double the food of a normal human just to support my gigantic penis.
Greenlit
posted 10-03-2007 07:06:49 PM
Haha wow this thing is a piece of shit, Fal. There is no way in hell that I would maintain my bodyweight at 4524 calories a day. (240lb, 6'1", moderate activity)
Steven Steve
posted 10-03-2007 10:09:59 PM
Yes haha, it says I would need 3970 when really it's more like 2000

Maradon!
posted 10-03-2007 10:24:53 PM
It means metric calories, DUH
Tier
posted 10-04-2007 12:05:43 AM
I've been counting calories for 4-5 months now, and I average 800-1000 a day, and I do work out. I weigh about 58 kgs.
nem-x
posted 10-04-2007 12:44:51 AM
Steven Steve
posted 10-04-2007 06:26:29 AM
quote:
How.... Asha'man.... uughhhhhh:
I've been counting calories for 4-5 months now, and I average 800-1000 a day, and I do work out. I weigh about 58 kgs.

Eugh!? Are you 4'8" or are you seriously transsexual?

Jajahotep
Vader to Deth's Obi-wan
posted 10-04-2007 09:33:01 AM
From what I was told, never go below 800 calories a day because instead of burning stored resources, your body will just shut down. I thought the rule of thumb was 1200 to 1800 daily if you're trying to lose weight. And while most of you find it laughable that you'd need 4000 calories to maintain your weight, that's just it, you're maintaining your current weight. Track your intake for a day and you might be surprised just how many calories you actually take in.

And drink lots of water.

tFUCKING RETARD
Pancake
posted 10-04-2007 03:26:49 PM
Eat chicken/fish, pasta/rice, and veggies primarily.

Run or swim or something right after you wake up, but before breakfast. A piece of fruit prior to the cardio is sufficient and realigns your blood sugar after the sleeping.

Eat no later than an hour prior to sleeping, and that meal should be small and lacking sugar. I recommend some sort of crackers and some cottage cheese.

Between chicken and fish, I'd say fish for you because of the monounsaturated fat (Called Omega 3...or 6...or 9, I forget which...on infomercials.) Alternatively, you can purchase fish oil separate from nutrition stores. If you go that option, check out flax oil also.

Aside from that, just work in another bout of exercising of some sort.

I'm sure Faz could probably add some stuff I missed.

There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive.
Steven Steve
posted 10-04-2007 07:05:08 PM
No not really haha

Working out a lot will increase your metabolism, that's all

There's no need to purchase fish oil really, unless you can get it for cheaper than walnuts which are a better food source of omega-3 fat than fish are.

Maradon!
posted 10-04-2007 08:07:16 PM
Or if you really hate walnuts...
Steven Steve
posted 10-04-2007 08:44:28 PM
JUST EAT THEM

Fish oil is worse of course, I can promise you that

Stalwart Steve fucked around with this message on 10-04-2007 at 08:44 PM.

Maradon!
posted 10-04-2007 08:46:34 PM
But fish is good!

I wonder what walnut butter would taste like...

Steven Steve
posted 10-04-2007 09:38:48 PM

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 10-05-2007 03:16:08 PM
quote:
Maradon! startled the peaceful upland Gorillas, blurting:
But fish is good!

I wonder what walnut butter would taste like...

Walnut butter is good.

Oh, and don't eat less than 1500 calories a day without medical supervision. The key to losing weight isn't eating less; it's exercising more and eating better.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Steven Steve
posted 10-05-2007 05:34:25 PM
yes

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: