EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: itt i ask for help : /
Oreowned
My friends call me 'Wiggles'
posted 10-03-2007 11:01:04 AM
So basically a while ago I needed some help picking a topic for an english paper and you lovely people of EC helped me out and it was good.

Well, I need another topic. For African History before 1800, this time.

Basic gist is that I pick a topic relating to the course material (anything having to do with Africa before 1800...so...broad...) and write an 8 page paper on it.

AND it has to be argumentive. Maybe I'm just stupid but how do you argue something like history? It either happened or it didn't! I've been racking my brain with this for about a week now. >.<

Soo...anyone got any ideas?

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 10-03-2007 11:07:33 AM
European colonialism of Africa didn't happen until the late 1800s, and anything south of the Sahara has little if any documented history, since (iirc) most tribes had no written language, and passed down their history verbally. Your best bet is something centered in North Africa, related to either early Egypt or the Muslim migration across North Africa (and over the channel into what's now southern Spain).

`Doc fucked around with this message on 10-03-2007 at 11:10 AM.

Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 10-03-2007 11:42:13 AM
The Rise and Fall of Carthage?
Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Pouncer of the 12th degree!
"Cxularath ftombn gonoragh pv'iornw hqxoxon targh!"
Translated: "Sell your soul for a cookie?"
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 10-03-2007 11:56:28 AM
You could even give it a snappy title in Latin: "Carthago delenda est: The inevitable fall of Carthage - By Choadly Withers"

Generally speaking, an argumentative history paper is one where you take the facts and use them to make a definite point. As an example, I once wrote a paper where I argued that the rise of fascism in Japan in the 1930s was the inevitable result of certain occurrences, beginning with the with Meiji Restoration and moving all the way up to the 1920s.

The nice thing about them, though, is that they can usually go either way. For example, I could have argued in my paper that Japan's fascism was an aberration, a deviation from the norm, and used historical fact to support my assertion. It's all about what you want to do.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 10-03-2007 12:59:09 PM
If you don't mind failing, you could do a paper on the actual facts of the slave trade, and point out that, while Europe and America provided the market, slavery itself was perpetrated on Africans by Africans in that most slaves were captured well inland, bought and sold many times, and then finally traded to the Europeans by coastal powers. The argumentative part being, of course, that a destructive mythos has grown up around the notion that all Africans were innocent victims of the phenomenon.
To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Maradon!
posted 10-03-2007 09:16:22 PM
quote:
Bloodsageing:
If you don't mind failing, you could do a paper on the actual facts of the slave trade, and point out that, while Europe and America provided the market, slavery itself was perpetrated on Africans by Africans in that most slaves were captured well inland, bought and sold many times, and then finally traded to the Europeans by coastal powers. The argumentative part being, of course, that a destructive mythos has grown up around the notion that all Africans were innocent victims of the phenomenon.

Well that doesn't help the White Guilt complex so it has NO place in an institute of higher learning!

Colleges love diversity, so long as it's just skin color and not ideas.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 10-03-2007 09:22:27 PM
History is written by the victor.

The victor in this case being African Americans.

Noxhil2
Pancake
posted 10-04-2007 08:24:40 PM
quote:
Check out the big brain on Bloodsage!

This is a fantastic topic for a paper. I wrote a 6000 word essay on this topic and although finding information can be at times daunting, it's really quite fascinating.

Oreowned
My friends call me 'Wiggles'
posted 10-05-2007 03:17:46 AM
Thanks for the help guys, I'm off to a good start now. =)

I liked that idea Bloodsage, but I think my professor would fail me for it. : / He's from Nigeria and kind of very...um...sensitive I guess would be the word.

Mr. Gainsborough
posted 10-05-2007 03:19:08 AM
quote:
Oreowned had this to say about (_|_):
I liked that idea Bloodsage, but I think my professor would fail me for it. : / He's from Nigeria and kind of very...um...sensitive I guess would be the word.

Racist, is actually the term you're looking for.

Pvednes
Lynched
posted 10-05-2007 03:28:32 AM
quote:
Mr. Gainsborough had this to say about (_|_):
Racist, is actually the term you're looking for.

Snap!

Stiddy
Pancake
posted 10-06-2007 09:01:00 AM
quote:
Oreowned's unholy Backstreet Boys obsession manifested in:
Thanks for the help guys, I'm off to a good start now. =)

I suppose you could always talk about the Arab slave trade, which was certainly very active before the 19th Century...though that might be even more offensive to your professor.

But if you still haven't fully decided on something yet, the role of Christianity in Ethiopia is a very interesting topic. I believe Ethiopia was the first nation in the world to adopt Christianity as a state religion...

Elvish Crack Piper
Murder is justified so long as people believe in something different than you do
posted 10-06-2007 03:33:33 PM
Except, you know, rome.
(Insert Funny Phrase Here)
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 10-06-2007 06:01:24 PM
quote:
Elvish Crack Piper said:
Except, you know, rome.

I suggest you go pick up some history books.

I'm not even going to bother correcting you.

Stiddy
Pancake
posted 10-06-2007 11:34:02 PM
Constantine I was the first Christian Roman Emperor- but I'm fairly certain both Armenia and Ethiopia were Christian nations previous to this.
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 10-07-2007 05:39:47 AM
quote:
Stiddy said:
Constantine I was the first Christian Roman Emperor- but I'm fairly certain both Armenia and Ethiopia were Christian nations previous to this.

Ok, now I can be bothered.

Catholic Christianity, as opposed to other religious groups, became the official state religion of the Roman empire on February 27, 380 through an edict issued by Emperor Theodosius I in Thessalonica and published in Constantinople.

In 301, Armenia became the first country in the world to adopt Christianity as its official state religion, while a number of Christian communities have been established in Armenia since 40 AD. There had been various pagan communities before Christianity, but they were converted by an influx of Christian missionaries. Tiridates III (238-314 AD) was the first ruler to officially Christianise his people, his conversion ten years before the Roman Empire granted Christianity official toleration under Galerius, and 36 years before Constantine was baptised.

Ethiopia is the second-oldest Christian state in the world, after Armenia. Saint Frumentius of Tyre is said to have converted the King of Axum, King Ezana during the fourth century AD.

Mortious fucked around with this message on 10-07-2007 at 05:40 AM.

Stiddy
Pancake
posted 10-07-2007 02:33:20 PM
quote:
Mortious had this to say about Captain Planet:
Ok, now I can be bothered.

Catholic Christianity, as opposed to other religious groups, became the official state religion of the Roman empire on February 27, 380 through an edict issued by Emperor Theodosius I in Thessalonica and published in Constantinople.

In 301, Armenia became the first country in the world to adopt Christianity as its official state religion, while a number of Christian communities have been established in Armenia since 40 AD. There had been various pagan communities before Christianity, but they were converted by an influx of Christian missionaries. Tiridates III (238-314 AD) was the first ruler to officially Christianise his people, his conversion ten years before the Roman Empire granted Christianity official toleration under Galerius, and 36 years before Constantine was baptised.

Ethiopia is the second-oldest Christian state in the world, after Armenia. Saint Frumentius of Tyre is said to have converted the King of Axum, King Ezana during the fourth century AD.

Thank you, sir

I've always been pretty unclear about all that- my knowledge of Christian history is sorely lacking...but that certainly clears it all up!

Maradon!
posted 10-07-2007 03:10:44 PM
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 10-07-2007 04:56:09 PM
Blame war (both internal and external) and social fragmentation to the Roman Empire for that, Mara. That's when the Dark Ages began, when Rome lost power due to external conflicts and massive internal social pressure.

Saying it's the fault of Christianity is the knee-jerk comedy option. The Popes funded a lot of scientific research themselves.

Maradon!
posted 10-07-2007 05:09:27 PM
They condemned the printing press as heresy and burned books and the people responsible for them en masse.

You'd have to subscribe to a pretty serious spin on the actual history of the time to portray the church of the dark ages as a patron of learning - what rare scientific advances they made were never allowed outside the clergy.

There really isn't any way to blame the dark ages on anything but the catholic stranglehold on knowledge. Empires had fallen before Rome and there's always a time of chaos, but the blame for a millennium of active suppression of learning falls squarely on the catholic theocracy of the time.

Don't feel bad, though; the Islamic dark ages continue to this day.

Stiddy
Pancake
posted 10-07-2007 05:38:20 PM
quote:
Maradon! impressed everyone with:
You'd have to subscribe to a pretty serious spin on the actual history of the time to portray the church of the dark ages as a patron of learning - what rare scientific advances they made were never allowed outside the clergy.

There really isn't any way to blame the dark ages on anything but the catholic stranglehold on knowledge. Empires had fallen before Rome and there's always a time of chaos, but the blame for a millennium of active suppression of learning falls squarely on the catholic theocracy of the time.

It's fine to say that the Church wasn't quite the bastion of scientific progress- but I doubt more freedom of knowledge would've helped Dark Age Europe to any significant degree.

It's also hard to spread learning outside of the Church when only clergymen can read, and books (especially secular books) are largely nonexistant.

Yes, the Church was no fan of the printing press- but I wouldn't call the 1430s the Dark Ages. If we're talking about the immediate, post-Rome era, I don't think anybody could have quickly reversed the downward spiral.

Stiddy fucked around with this message on 10-07-2007 at 05:41 PM.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: