EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Interesting event. Anyone know of this?
Azakias
Never wore the pants, thus still wields the power of unused (_|_)
posted 08-24-2007 09:54:16 AM
The plague!
"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 08-24-2007 10:25:57 AM
I don't know why they're posting that as if it's recent, it happened back in early 2006, I think.
Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 08-24-2007 10:27:52 AM
I think I have read that article already a year ago... or a very similiar one at least.
~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Cherveny
Papaya
posted 08-24-2007 11:16:06 AM
The event happening in WOW is old. The "new" part has been researchers this year trying to say they can use this as a model of how diseases spread.

The big problem I still see with using this as a real world model is, in the real world with a deadly disease, death is final, thus a bit of a deterrent, but in WOW, just get naked and death is meaningless, so you can feel free to spread the disease all around for fun.

(EDIT: fixed spelling)

Cherveny fucked around with this message on 08-24-2007 at 11:17 AM.

Azakias
Never wore the pants, thus still wields the power of unused (_|_)
posted 08-24-2007 11:20:30 AM
Yeah, I had no idea when this happened as I dont play anymore, but I thought the idea of researchers using an online game to conduct research seemed a little absurd to say the least.

For example, if say, Chicago had a massive smallpox outbreak, I dont think I would be motivated to drive over there to take a firsthand peek.

"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
Cherveny
Papaya
posted 08-24-2007 11:29:51 AM
quote:
Azakias's unholy Backstreet Boys obsession manifested in:
Yeah, I had no idea when this happened as I dont play anymore, but I thought the idea of researchers using an online game to conduct research seemed a little absurd to say the least.

For example, if say, Chicago had a massive smallpox outbreak, I dont think I would be motivated to drive over there to take a firsthand peek.

Wasn't only that either. There were plenty of people purposely getting infected then going into as many crowded areas as they could, to infect as many people as possible (auction halls, etc). Except for a very small group of people (suicide bombers, etc) you don't see this in the real world.

Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 08-26-2007 07:28:47 PM
I totally remember this. RAID AIDS. Ah, memories. Hell, we even infected Argent Dawn for a good while before they hotfixed it.

The real problem was that if it went on an NPC with an NPC next to them (Bankers in org anyone?), it'd cycle endlessly, since the NPCs weren't in combat and would heal to full instantly, continuing to spread it.

It was really really bad in Ironforge, for sure. Made the capital cities ghost towns for a while.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: