EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: So...Dungeons & Dragons Fourth Edition.
Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 08-18-2007 01:42:13 AM
Wizards has announced the Fourth Edition of the D&D game.

For those here that still play, I'd like to know what you think.

I've gathered the following information from various forum trolling and videos. Some of it may be accurate, some of it may not. Either way, it looks to be an exciting time for the game.

• The 4e Player's Handbook is slated for release in May 2008, with the Monster Manual in June 2008, and the Dungeon Master's Guide in July 2008. There will also be a pre-made adventure with pre-made characters released in April 2008 to be used as a sort of quick-start guide.
  • Every book will have a code inside that will let you download a virtual copy.
  • With a subscription, players and DMs will have access to powerful tools such as a virtual tabletop that will help streamline gameplay and make play over the internet much easier and officially supported.
  • Every class will gain something at every level of play. No more dead levels! (I'm looking at you, fighter level 5...)
  • Races will be expanded to provide abilities beyond character creation, to help make them more meaningful throughout a character's entire career.
  • The core game will officially support levels 1-30. That means that epic rules will be a part of the core system.
  • There will be a campaign setting updated each year, with Forgotten Realms being the first in 2008.
  • Speculation: D&D 4e will borrow heavily on the ideas from books such as Tome of Battle: Book of Nine Swords, and Complete Mage. This means that the system is likely to translate from a "per day" based system of abilities, to a "per encounter" based system.

Personally, I am excited, especially about the digital tools to make running the game much easier. I think the only thing I cannot agree with at this point is that FR will be the first setting to be updated. Personally, I view FR as old and busted, and Eberron as the new hotness. I think Eberron should have been the first updated, so that new material will continue to be released for it more frequently. FR can survive a bit longer without new material since it has so much material to fall back on, but Eberron is only a few years old. I'm worried that this might kill Eberron.

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piña coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Damnati
Filthy
posted 08-18-2007 02:15:27 AM
Updated Forgotten Realms will be nice; I'm rather fond of the setting.
Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Willias
Pancake
posted 08-18-2007 09:12:21 AM
quote:
Verily, Densetsu doth proclaim:
  • The core game will officially support levels 1-30. That means that epic rules will be a part of the core system.

• Actually, base level is being raised to 30.

Ruvyen
    Cartoon Broccoli Boy
    posted 08-18-2007 12:51:02 PM
    More cool shit for fighters!
    Thief: "I have come to a realisation. Dragons are not real in a general sense, but they may exist in certain specific cases."
    Fighter: "Like how quantum mechanics describes how subatomic particles can spontaneously pop into existence at random!"
    Thief: "No, that's stupid and stop making up words."
    --8-Bit Theater
    Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
    I posted in a title changing thread.
    posted 08-18-2007 06:43:36 PM
    I got into an unfortunate argument with Batty in IRC that I regret over this.
    Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
    "All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
    *Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Greenlit
    posted 08-18-2007 07:04:01 PM
    Shame on all of you
    Azakias
    Never wore the pants, thus still wields the power of unused (_|_)
    posted 08-18-2007 09:46:29 PM
    I like the changes and so on that this has in store.

That being said, I have invest far too much into 3.5 thus far. I have over 70, possibly close to 80 books on 3.5, and no desire to start another collection. I am seeing the prices of V4 books increasing too. Just a hunch.

"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
    Densetsu
    NOT DRYSART
    posted 08-18-2007 11:54:38 PM
    quote:
    Tribute? You steal men's Azakiass, and make them your slaves!
    I like the changes and so on that this has in store.

That being said, I have invest far too much into 3.5 thus far. I have over 70, possibly close to 80 books on 3.5, and no desire to start another collection. I am seeing the prices of V4 books increasing too. Just a hunch.

A lot of people seem to be saying this. "I spent too much money on 3.5 to spend any on 4.0!" Honestly, I don't understand it. If you're the type of person that spent all that money on ANY edition, you will still spend the money regardless. It's not like a new edition renders all previous material useless. I currently play in a 3.5 Spelljammer game, for example.

If you've got the disposable income to spend, you will. Magic: The Gathering has shown us that.

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piña coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
    Falaanla Marr
    I AM HOT CHIX
    posted 08-19-2007 12:43:46 AM
    quote:
    Densetsu stopped staring at Deedlit long enough to write:
    A lot of people seem to be saying this. "I spent too much money on 3.5 to spend any on 4.0!" Honestly, I don't understand it. If you're the type of person that spent all that money on ANY edition, you will still spend the money regardless. It's not like a new edition renders all previous material useless. I currently play in a 3.5 Spelljammer game, for example.

If you've got the disposable income to spend, you will. Magic: The Gathering has shown us that.

People say that with every edition of the game.

Maradon!
    posted 08-19-2007 12:44:26 AM
    quote:
    x--DensetsuO-('-'Q) :

yeah, a lot of the people saying they won't upgrade from 3.5 to 4.0 are the same people who said they wouldn't upgrade from 2.0 to 3.0 or even 3.0 to 3.5

Azakias
    Never wore the pants, thus still wields the power of unused (_|_)
    posted 08-19-2007 07:10:29 AM
    Is V4 compatible with 3.5? Because I do like a lot of the changes that are taking place.

(For the record, I never played anything prior to V3 on tabletop.)

"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
    Batty
    Doesn't Like You. Specifically you.
    posted 08-19-2007 08:42:30 AM
    quote:
    Azakias's account was hax0red to write:
    Is V4 compatible with 3.5? Because I do like a lot of the changes that are taking place.

(For the record, I never played anything prior to V3 on tabletop.)

No D&D edition is ever compatible with previous versions. There are often unofficial conversion methods though, so there's ways to update things from version to version, but it's usually annoying and difficult to do.

Damnati
    Filthy
    posted 08-19-2007 11:08:53 AM
    quote:
    When the babel fish was in place, it was apparent Batty said:
    No D&D edition is ever compatible with previous versions. There are often unofficial conversion methods though, so there's ways to update things from version to version, but it's usually annoying and difficult to do.

Ad hoc conversion usually works ok on a case by case basis. Then there are wondrous items, especially those listed in the Epic Level Handbook...those just don't work...

Edit: Wizards also likes to put out things like these.

Damnati fucked around with this message on 08-19-2007 at 11:13 AM.

Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Cherveny
    Papaya
    posted 08-19-2007 12:20:28 PM
    I may be a bit old fashioned on this, but still, the best time I've had playing D&D was using 1st edition with a smattering of 2nd edition rules mixed in. (And yes, I've tried 3 and 3.5, and even played before 1st edition, the original Basic D&D).
    Azymyth
    Not gay; just weird
    posted 08-19-2007 03:44:37 PM
    My beef is that it honestly feels too soon for a complete system change, especially with the large number of books that have come out in such a short amount of time (and I'm sure there are still more suppliments scheduled to be released).

Going with Forgotten Realms is a smart move. It's a classic setting and will have a bigger draw than Ebberon. It allows for sales of 3.5 Ebberon books to continue for awhile until the setting is updated as well. Personally, I want to see Planescape though.

I suffer from CRS: Can't Remember Shit.

Sig pic done by the very talented SJen!

Maradon!
    posted 08-19-2007 04:02:40 PM
    Yeah, one of the things that plagues clannish gaming institutions like D&D is that you always have the purists claiming that the new revision isn't "real" D&D, something that Eberron also suffers from. Making Eberron the first revised world would have only compounded that problem.
    `Doc
    Cold in an Alley
    posted 08-19-2007 10:54:34 PM
    While I haven't seen the revisions to the system itself, it feels like their biggest motivation is getting in on a market that they have thus far left to third parties; electronic media such as character generators, map-making tools, and online play interfaces have always been provided by third parties, with variation in both price and quality. Even eTools, which was supposed to be the official utility for D&D v3, was subcontracted out to two third-party companies (one then the other). Now WotC plans to supply these components themselves as part of the basic play package.

They also announced their intention to simplify the rules. While I'm not sure what this means, it's possible that they plan to make 4th edition function like D&D minis. It would explain why they brought up grappling as being too complicated; if an action can't be visually demonstrated with miniatures, it would go away. The inclusion of a custom miniature creator also lends support to this theory.

It will be nice seeing all the races gain abilities as they gain levels/hitdice. Raptoran and a number of other races and templates have shown the appeal of evolving racial abilities. It also looks like a decent way to get rid of level adjustments, provided they offer progressions for intelligent monsters rather than just the standard playable races. (I could have easily seen the Medusa as a sixth-level ranger, for example.)

I would have liked to see a system where players could buy individual abilities (starting with an initial allotment, then spending XP as they gain it). Such a system would allow much more versatility than using fixed races and classes. (Races & classes could be included in the core rules as sample builds.) However, I won't hold my breath for this drastic a change.

`Doc fucked around with this message on 08-19-2007 at 10:57 PM.

Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
    There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
    I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
    Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
    Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Falaanla Marr
    I AM HOT CHIX
    posted 08-19-2007 11:02:10 PM
    quote:
    `Doc thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:
    While I'm not sure what this means, it's possible that they plan to make 4th edition function like D&D minis.

Probably because D&D Minis is a fucking awesome as all hell game.

Warpriest of Vandria, Gnomish Trickster, Bat Familiar, Wild Elf Warsinger, Xen'Drik Champion x5.

Rock.

Densetsu
    NOT DRYSART
    posted 08-20-2007 01:47:21 AM
    quote:
    It was not by my hand that I am once again given flesh! I was called here by `Doc who wishes to pay me tribute!

They also announced their intention to simplify the rules. While I'm not sure what this means, it's possible that they plan to make 4th edition function like D&D minis. It would explain why they brought up grappling as being too complicated; if an action can't be visually demonstrated with miniatures, it would go away. The inclusion of a custom miniature creator also lends support to this theory.

They actually said in a video interview on their site under the gencon coverage, that they specifically aren't turning D&D into D&D Minis. They said that if you don't currently use minis in your games right now, you won't be suddenly required to do so. They've stated specifically that there would be no point to turning D&D into Minis, because they're two different games.

Densetsu fucked around with this message on 08-20-2007 at 01:47 AM.

`Doc
    Cold in an Alley
    posted 08-20-2007 08:42:38 AM
    quote:
    Densetsu is attacking the darkness!
    They actually said in a video interview on their site under the gencon coverage, that they specifically aren't turning D&D into D&D Minis. They said that if you don't currently use minis in your games right now, you won't be suddenly required to do so. They've stated specifically that there would be no point to turning D&D into Minis, because they're two different games.
    I watched the videos and didn't notice that, though it's possible I just couldn't hear them when they said it. With every volume control on my system maxed (which is usually far too loud to tolerate), the guy with no mic was still very hard to hear.

And they wouldn't need to turn it completely into D&D minis. The XPH (miniatures handbook) contains a significant amount of material completely unrelated to actual D&D minis gameplay. However, they could draw pretty heavily on the D&D minis rules for motion, actions, etc. We won't know for sure until they release some sort of combat rules preview.

Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
    There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
    I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
    Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
    Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Falaanla Marr
    I AM HOT CHIX
    posted 08-21-2007 12:29:33 AM
    quote:
    `Doc Model 2000 was programmed to say:

And they wouldn't need to turn it completely into D&D minis. The XPH (miniatures handbook) contains a significant amount of material completely unrelated to actual D&D minis gameplay. However, they could draw pretty heavily on the D&D minis rules for motion, actions, etc. We won't know for sure until they release some sort of combat rules preview.

The minis handbook is damn near worthless to actual D&D minis play now. With the set from around a year ago, War Drums, the rules were revised and such. So that handbook is only really of any use for any value it would bring to a regular campaign now.

Malbi
    posted 08-21-2007 03:31:17 AM
    Everything Im seeing strongly reminds me of the Iron Heroes d20 system...
    I Didnt ask to be Secretary of Balloon Doggies, the Balloon Doggies demanded it!
    Greenlit
    posted 08-22-2007 11:28:41 AM
    Because Iron Heroes is the only d20 system worth playing.
    Razortooth Gnome
    The Artist Formerly Known As Anklebiter
    posted 08-23-2007 04:06:19 PM
    My hope is that there will be new, in-depth Planescape material. Though I doubt anything good will happed post faction war.
    Big Easy
    Pancake
    posted 08-26-2007 01:54:07 AM
    quote:
    `Doc had this to say about Pirotess:
    I would have liked to see a system where players could buy individual abilities (starting with an initial allotment, then spending XP as they gain it). Such a system would allow much more versatility than using fixed races and classes. (Races & classes could be included in the core rules as sample builds.) However, I won't hold my breath for this drastic a change.

Um, isn't that basically what White Wolf gaming is based around? I mean, you gain XP, use it to buy new Spheres or other abilities...

Admittedly, White Wolf is a little more free-form than AD&D, but that's why they tend to market to veteran RP'ers. I don't think you would see such an open framework come out of WotC. If you want flexibility and class-free play, go check out Mage, Vampire, or Werewolf.

And how can you simplify 3e?! It's not like you're asking them to do advanced calculus, like you had to do with 2e's THAC0. (Calculate for their AC subtracted from ten (How is -9 better?!), figure in for windage, range, angle and power of the ambient light... *roll, followed by ten minutes of math* did I hit him?) Sorry, I'm a little bitter; I was the only math person in the group, so I wound up correcting the DM's math mistakes.

"A little rebellion now and then is a good thing." -- Thomas Jefferson
    "Unbelievably, a goldfish can kill a gorilla. However, it does require a substantial element of surprise." -- George Carlin
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin
    "I finally figured out what e-mail is for. It's for communicating with people you'd rather not talk to." -- Also George Carlin
    "The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity." -- "The Second Coming" by Wm. Butler Yeats
    Greenlit
    posted 08-26-2007 02:00:24 AM
    quote:
    Big Easy was listening to Cher while typing:
    If you want flexibility and class-free play, go check out Mage, Vampire, or Werewolf.

No.

You check out GURPS.

Delphi Aegis
    Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
    posted 08-26-2007 10:00:17 AM
    quote:
    Big Easy had this to say about pies:
    Um, isn't that basically what White Wolf gaming is based around? I mean, you gain XP, use it to buy new Spheres or other abilities...

Admittedly, White Wolf is a little more free-form than AD&D, but that's why they tend to market to veteran RP'ers. I don't think you would see such an open framework come out of WotC. If you want flexibility and class-free play, go check out Mage, Vampire, or Werewolf.

And how can you simplify 3e?! It's not like you're asking them to do advanced calculus, like you had to do with 2e's THAC0. (Calculate for their AC subtracted from ten (How is -9 better?!), figure in for windage, range, angle and power of the ambient light... *roll, followed by ten minutes of math* did I hit him?) Sorry, I'm a little bitter; I was the only math person in the group, so I wound up correcting the DM's math mistakes.

Takes about 2 minutes to do a THAC0 table on your character sheet, even if you are fucking with large negative THAC0s.

`Doc
    Cold in an Alley
    posted 08-27-2007 07:58:20 AM
    quote:
    Greenlit is attacking the darkness!
    No.

You check out GURPS.

I picked up one of the core books about a year ago, but have only looked through it briefly. GURPS doesn't seem to cover progressive abilities very well. It's a good concept, and the versatility is nice, but most of the abilities seem to be all-or-nothing choices.

That and nobody I know actually plays it. I've only ever played it once, at a gaming convention.

`Doc
    Cold in an Alley
    posted 08-27-2007 12:07:11 PM
    quote:
    Big Easy really knows where their towel is...

See my response about GURPS. I picked up a Mage book years ago, and learned rather quickly that nobody actually played Mage. I know someone now who runs Vampire on occasion, but that's about it.

My interest in a more versatile, less level-based D&D system comes from time spent on the D&D message boards. Discussions crop up frequently about race & class imbalances, the inadequacies of level adjustment, the major difficulties in multiclassing, etc. All this could be solved by ditching the concept of, "he's level 6," and replacing it with, "he's spent 150 talent points." The amount of design work needed to bring about this change would roughly equate to the release of a new edition.

quote:
    One possibility is that they've stripped out complex combat options. Remember the example they made of grappling? They could have reduced it to a single step, or just killed it altogether. An example of a one-step grapple could be as follows:
    >> Make an attack roll (possibly modified by grappling bonuses if you have any). If you hit, you're grappling. This takes the place of a normal attack.
    >> While you're grappling, you may not take actions. The opponent you grappled may also not take actions, other than trying to break out of the grapple, until he breaks out of the grapple.
    >> To break out of the grapple, he needs to beat your original attack roll with an attack or escape roll. This takes the place of a normal attack.

They might also have chosen to simplify the game by making rules easier to find. This is where all the computerization comes into play. Instead of flipping through the book and reading, you choose the attack option in the gameplay system, and it steps you through the rest of the process.

Densetsu
    NOT DRYSART
    posted 08-27-2007 08:03:18 PM
    quote:
    Die, Delphi Aegis! You don't belong in this world!
    Takes about 2 minutes to do a THAC0 table on your character sheet, even if you are fucking with large negative THAC0s.

110 seconds too long. And you need a TABLE?! Come on!

Greenlit
    posted 08-27-2007 08:22:18 PM
    hey guys in GURPS your character's skill is (mostly) all that determines his ability to succeed in just about anything

not some arbitrary rulesets and 5% chances

Mr. Parcelan
    posted 08-27-2007 10:32:05 PM
    Not a lot of threads piss me off
    Maradon!
    posted 08-27-2007 10:51:56 PM
    Ah, the multiple target grappling rules. I miss being an evil cleric.
    All times are US/Eastern
    Hop To: