EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Kitty Training Help
Ares
posted 08-07-2007 03:54:25 PM
My one kitten has been doing number 2's on the bed, floor or kitty bed. She's only done it a handfull of times, which is what confuses me.... We keep the litter clean, and she does use the box for #1 and some #2's, but every so often, she'll poop somewhere else. I've caught her in the act once, and moved her from the bed to the box, where she finished her stuff. But this morning, I woke up with poop beside me.

I don't know what to do, cause she knows to use it, but isn't all the time for whatever reason. She's litter trained and was trained by her mother and her sister uses the box fine. Any advice would be appreciated.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 08-07-2007 03:55:36 PM
Every time it does it somewhere other than the litter tray, kick it across the room.

It'll soon learn not to.

Willias
Pancake
posted 08-07-2007 03:59:08 PM
How many litterboxes you got?
Kaiote
Shot in the Face
posted 08-07-2007 04:02:16 PM
quote:
Mortious obviously shouldn't have said:
Every time it does it somewhere other than the litter tray, kick it across the room.

It'll soon learn not to.

The cat, or the poops?

And yeah, how many litter boxes do you have? We have 3 cats in the house, and my cat Turtle will shit in the bathroom sink if she doesn't have her own box.

Henry had been killed by a garden gnome.He had fallen off the roof onto that cheerful-looking figure. The gnome was made of concrete. Henry wasn't. - Dean Koontz, Velocity
`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 08-07-2007 04:03:54 PM
quote:
Mortious needs to hitch a ride with a Vogon constructor fleet.

It'll soon learn not to.

Ironically, this is not far from the truth.

Fill a spray bottle or squirt gun with water. Every time you catch the kitten doing its business outside the litterbox, squirt the kitten. You must squirt the kitten while it is taking the offending action, or it will not make the connection between crime and punishment. If you had a puppy, and didn't catch it in the act, you could hold its nose to the poop and scold it. I don't know if that works on kittens.

`Doc fucked around with this message on 08-07-2007 at 04:05 PM.

Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Willias
Pancake
posted 08-07-2007 04:04:50 PM
We got a new kitten recently (like a week ago) and the little guy liked peeing right by my computer desk. Little bastard. Anyway, stuck a second litter box there and haven't had a problem since (except for the smell right after he or our older kitten takes a crap, ugh).

Now only if we could keep him out of his own shit. D:

Willias fucked around with this message on 08-07-2007 at 04:06 PM.

Ares
posted 08-07-2007 04:06:33 PM
That's the thing, we don't catch her, she does it when we're not home, or when we're busy doing something (like sleeping).. One time, my BF was in the shower, and the cats followed him in, and she did it there on her bed that was waiting to go into the wash. We assumed that she just did it again cause there was poop on it from the first time she did it...Now she's doing it other places.

We're getting another box tonight for her, to see if that helps.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 08-07-2007 04:57:10 PM
When the cat shits in the appropriate spot, reward it with a treat. Other than that, you can only hope to catch it shitting in the wrong spot, so you can throw a brick at it.
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Ares
posted 08-07-2007 05:10:07 PM
quote:
Karnaj had this to say about Robocop:
When the cat shits in the appropriate spot, reward it with a treat. Other than that, you can only hope to catch it shitting in the wrong spot, so you can throw a brick at it.

That's a good idea. Thankfully she's the one who knows what treats are.... The other one just bats them around like a toy.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 08-07-2007 05:19:11 PM
A treat is not getting booted in the face until you bleed.

I hate cats, can you tell?

Ares
posted 08-07-2007 05:49:00 PM
quote:
Mortious wrote this stupid crap:
A treat is not getting booted in the face until you bleed.

I hate cats, can you tell?

My kittens are cute!!! Except for when they wake me up by digging their claws into my legs.

KaLourin
Illanae's Stooge!
posted 08-07-2007 05:57:47 PM
might also try a different brand or type of cat litter. If you use clay based, it might be too harsh on the cats feet. Try switching to the sandier clumping brand. Strong litters like any sort of pine or natural "accented" might also turn the cat off, too strong a smell.

Oh.. and while the watergun trick might work on older cats(dont use a direct shot of water, it's more traumatic. Use a mist or spray bottle), on a kitten it only enforces the fact that what it is doing is bad. period. Cat might end up developing a complex, thinking that its going to get sprayed everytime it goes to the bathroom, in which case... it'll go in places you *don't* see.

Dont make me slap you so hard your bucket spins around, and around,and stops sideways,thus confusing you, and making you run about London wearing your bucket, a g-string, and carrying a stick,smacking the ground while yelling "MAGICALLY DELICIOUS! MAGICALLY FUCKING DELICIOUS!"- {Tal} to Mortious
Hebrew 9:3- 'And the Lord said unto me, "Dude, there isn't a K in covenant."' - Snoota

This beer drops trou and fucks your mouth with pure hoppy goodness. - Karnaj
Steven Steve
posted 08-07-2007 06:24:41 PM
Kill them every time they perform an action you don't like and let selection choose the well-behaved kitten

I don't like it either but nature's rough

"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Jajahotep
Vader to Deth's Obi-wan
posted 08-07-2007 09:39:48 PM
You can also put her into solitary for a bit. Keep her locked in the bathroom with a litter box with free time being rewarded for good behavior. I'm sure she'll hate being locked in there, away from you guys and the other one, but she's gotta learn.

Taylen
Pancake
posted 08-08-2007 10:23:12 AM
You should generally have at least 1 more litter box in the house then you have cats for an average sized house, large or multistoried houses should have more. If a cat cannot get to an unoccupied box easily, many will resort to simply going wherever.
"When correctly viewed, everything is lewd." - Tom Lehrer.
Sadomasochism: It's Fun!
Taylen Ashenbow
Rangers never run we mearly stratigically retreat.
Thats not a train thats a pull, my trains are always much bigger.
Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 08-08-2007 11:41:07 AM
quote:
Karnaj wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
When the cat shits in the appropriate spot, reward it with a treat.

E.g. a sock drawer.

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Ares
posted 08-08-2007 12:09:16 PM
My place is pretty small.. 500-600sq feet. We thought that one might be enough, since they are sister and at one point, 5 of them shared a box. Apparently one of the other kittens started doing this too (one of the ones that my BF's mom hasn't found a home for yet).

We have two boxes now, Except my BF bought non-clumping cheap litter which pissed me off... oh well.

I woke up without poop beside me, but the day is still young!

Willias
Pancake
posted 08-08-2007 12:13:56 PM
quote:
Ares attempted to be funny by writing:
We have two boxes now, Except my BF bought non-clumping cheap litter which pissed me off... oh well.

It's harder to clean up, but kittens might prefer it.

Ares
posted 08-08-2007 12:23:35 PM
quote:
We were all impressed when Willias wrote:
It's harder to clean up, but kittens might prefer it.

It's going to start to smell fast, and in a small apartment, that's not good. Plus, it's really hard on the feets. They've always had the clumping soft all natural stuff.

He says it's not his fault, cause the shop guy told him it was the same as the other litter he was going to get, but cheaper.

Willias
Pancake
posted 08-08-2007 12:37:54 PM
Ah, nevermind then.
Cherveny
Papaya
posted 08-08-2007 01:01:20 PM
Another thing to try, try moving the litter box to a "hidden" location, so that people can't see the cat using the box when he decides to use it.

May sound strange, but some cats like privacy when using their litter box, and can stop using it when it's in a too public place.

Ares
posted 08-08-2007 01:07:26 PM
quote:
Cherveny attempted to be funny by writing:
Another thing to try, try moving the litter box to a "hidden" location, so that people can't see the cat using the box when he decides to use it.

May sound strange, but some cats like privacy when using their litter box, and can stop using it when it's in a too public place.

Yea, we did that with the additional box. It's in the corner under a desk where she had gone to the washroom once. She used it to go pee, but nothing else yet...hoping for the best.

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 08-08-2007 08:37:35 PM
This is why cats are horrible pets. Anything that wants to shit where you live can't be high on your list of thing to have in the house.
Ares
posted 08-08-2007 08:39:43 PM
quote:
Verily, Naimah doth proclaim:
This is why cats are horrible pets. Anything that wants to shit where you live can't be high on your list of thing to have in the house.

They are kittens, and are learning. Just like human children. Cats make great pets. Little fuss, you can leave them alone, they are intelligent and extremely adaptable to their surroundings.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 08-08-2007 08:51:53 PM
quote:
Ares said:
Just like human children. Cats make great pets.

Out of context ftw.

Willias
Pancake
posted 08-08-2007 09:14:23 PM
quote:
Naimah had this to say about Jimmy Carter:

wait, this sounds like most pets except for maybe fish

Maradon!
posted 08-08-2007 09:25:02 PM
I like cats as much as the next guy but I honestly don't see a very favorable effort-to-reward ratio.
Naimah
In a Fire
posted 08-08-2007 09:26:32 PM
quote:
Willias wrote this stupid crap:
wait, this sounds like most pets except for maybe fish

Dogs can be trained to shit outside. Cats end up shitting in a box, in your house. Completely different.

Maradon!
posted 08-08-2007 09:28:35 PM
quote:
x--NaimahO-('-'Q) :
Dogs can be trained to shit outside. Cats end up shitting in a box, in your house. Completely different.

My gram had two cats that pooped outside under a pine tree and nowhere else. They both ended up dying in Mortal Kitty Kombat, though, as outdoor cats are wont to do.

Willias
Pancake
posted 08-08-2007 09:37:37 PM
quote:
Naimah had this to say about Punky Brewster:

As long as they shit in such designated boxes, I don't see the problem.

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 08-09-2007 09:30:27 AM
quote:
Willias enlisted the help of an infinite number of monkeys to write:
As long as they shit in such designated boxes, I don't see the problem.

You mean besides the smell of shit in your house?

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 08-09-2007 10:05:19 AM
My brother once had a cat.

Made a nice house smell like an open sewer.

I fucking hate cats.

tFUCKING RETARD
Pancake
posted 08-09-2007 11:30:45 AM
As someone that thinks kittens are adorable, I agree with the thought that owning them sucks. My mom is a crazy cat lady, has like four litter boxes with the expensive super awesome litter, cleans em all daily, entire house still smells like cat shit.
There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive.
Willias
Pancake
posted 08-09-2007 11:34:27 AM
quote:
Nobody really understood why Naimah wrote:
You mean besides the smell of shit in your house?

The litter we've used so far seems to have eliminated the odor pretty well. Had company over the other day, and no complaints of cat poop stench.

Willias fucked around with this message on 08-09-2007 at 11:35 AM.

Ares
posted 08-09-2007 11:42:06 AM
My little apartment doesn't smell. I keep the boxes clean and I keep my degu cage clean. No smell.
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 08-09-2007 02:17:23 PM
quote:
Ares said:
My little apartment doesn't smell. I keep the boxes clean and I keep my degu cage clean. No smell.

It's a scientific fact that when you get used to a smell.. you stop smelling it.

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 08-09-2007 02:24:23 PM
quote:
Willias had this to say about the Spice Girls:
The litter we've used so far seems to have eliminated the odor pretty well. Had company over the other day, and no complaints of cat poop stench.

That's what I would say when I go over to someones place, "Man your house smells like shit!"

Willias
Pancake
posted 08-09-2007 04:59:58 PM
quote:
Naimah had this to say about Knight Rider:
That's what I would say when I go over to someones place, "Man your house smells like shit!"

Yes, my niece and nephew would have done just that.

Ares
posted 08-09-2007 05:32:18 PM
quote:
From the book of Mortious, chapter 3, verse 16:
It's a scientific fact that when you get used to a smell.. you stop smelling it.

Actually, i specifically asked me friend who expectedly dropped by yesterday if my placed smelled like animals.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 08-09-2007 05:36:01 PM
Snoota visited recently?
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: