EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: What's FFXI like these days?
Maradon!
posted 08-04-2007 05:43:40 PM
My comment in the other thread has got me wondering

My recollection is that the game was modestly fun, but lacked content, and it was also an immense pain in the dick to advance past a certain point due to it being impossible to grind at any reasonable rate without a group, with groups being hard to find and wildly unstable even when you do find them.

Has much changed since then?

Tier
posted 08-04-2007 07:52:20 PM
Low-level content is still lacking -- you end up fighting the same versions of mobs no matter which allegiance you choose. And as you go up in levels, it's the same mobs again only reskinned. Once you hit level 40 or so, Aht'urgan areas can relieve the monotony somewhat, but it doesn't make the grind much better.

Soloing is still anathema. So all of the above, you have to do in a party. And retards still abound, unless you're willing to tag along in a full JP party worth its salt or a decent static party.

The high-end game is interesting, if you liked EverQuest's end-game content more than WoW's. BCNMs are a handy alternative to the endless camps, but then instead of camping a rare mob you end up farming seals for them.

In short, it hasn't really changed. Which is a shame, because the job system is awesome in a MMOG, and the races actually meaning something is an interesting touch. But the endless camps reek of old MMOGs, and it really feels like one.

Steven Steve
posted 08-04-2007 08:09:00 PM
Also do you still run as though in a dream/underwater?
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Maradon!
posted 08-04-2007 08:18:51 PM
quote:
Over the mountain, in between the ups and downs, I ran into Asha'man who doth quote:
...Soloing is still anathema... The high-end game is interesting, if you liked EverQuest's end-game content more than WoW's.

This sounds like a game that I would hate more than I can possibly imagine. Thank you for warning me away from it.

Tier
posted 08-04-2007 08:54:50 PM
That's what I thought. Stick to FFXII, it's the same game, without the obnoxious retards and without the endless grinds. =p
Maradon!
posted 08-04-2007 09:07:59 PM
I have no PS2 so, no FF12 for me
Greenlit
posted 08-04-2007 09:34:28 PM
quote:
Asha'man Model 2000 was programmed to say:
without the obnoxious retards

hold on a second here

have we forgotten everyone except Balthier

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 08-04-2007 11:33:06 PM
quote:
Asha'man thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:
That's what I thought. Stick to FFXII, it's the same game, without the obnoxious retards and without the endless grinds. =p

I still need to play this.

Skaw
posted 08-05-2007 12:02:42 AM
Soloings a lot easier. One of the recent patches made all of the Conquest Region areas(Everything but Treasure of Aht Urghan) a lot more solo friendly by giving a Defense and Evasion boost to Signet. It also grants a higher HP Recovery rate than before(Static 10 HP, +1 HP per additional tick,) which is based off HP(Starts off the same, but the more HP you have, the higher the effect.) For example, soloing at 75, I gain about 35 HP per tick, and increases start off at +5/tick. It has a pretty low cap on how high it starts off, because the HP differences between Beastmaster and Monk are vast(1250~ v. 1650~) and I still recover HP at the same rate regardless of job.

The Defense and Evasion increases are pretty insane, however it only applies to monsters Even Match or lower. On the otherhand, at 75 against an Even Match or one level lower, when I do get hit, it's usually for less than 50. At lower levels, it takes a very long time for non-magic attacks/TP moves to hurt you for more than single digits. Leveling my girlfriends Ranger while she works, I hit level 11 and still haven't been hit for more than 10 from a DC.

Theres also an increased experience gain for small numbered parties. I think a Duo gains +25% EXP on Even matches and below, and the value drops off with the more players in the party.

The big solo jobs are still Beastmaster, Black Mage, Ninja, Dragoon, and the newly added Puppetmaster.

Skaw fucked around with this message on 08-05-2007 at 12:04 AM.

Maradon!
posted 08-05-2007 12:18:25 AM
Thanks for that skaw. Is there much to do solo besides grind out exp? I totally forget how FFXI ran quests and missions.
Skaw
posted 08-05-2007 12:22:15 AM
Most quests are solo-friendly. Most missions aren't.
Maradon!
posted 08-05-2007 12:25:57 AM
I take it there's a great deal more missions than quests?

Like I said I can't remember a goddamn thing about how that game ran quests.

Skaw
posted 08-05-2007 12:55:12 AM
Theres a lot more quests than missions. Missions are your story-line things. Quests are independant/side story.

There are 20 Allegiance missions, four of which are virtually the same regardless of city(only scenes change.)

18 Rise of the Zilart expansion missions. One of which requires Chains of Promathia to be completed

34 Chains of Promathia Missions, One of which requires Rise of the Zilart to be completed. Plus a slew of unlocked side-quests. Fighting Bahamut for example.

38 Aht Urghan missions currently and 51 Assault missions currently.Aht Urghan missions are strictly storyline. Assault allows you to advance in the new ranking system(totally optional, but extremely useful,) and deals with a seperate storyline involving the Mercenary Company you join in the main storyline.

Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 08-05-2007 07:18:19 PM
I really want to try it again, but I know I'm going to get bored with it.

What I'd really like is for someone to come up with an emulated server, something like WR used to be.

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 08-07-2007 07:55:34 AM
quote:
See, your Skaw means your hair. So technically it's true.
18 Rise of the Zilart expansion missions. One of which requires Chains of Promathia to be completed

34 Chains of Promathia Missions, One of which requires Rise of the Zilart to be completed.

So one mission in each set has a built-in catch 22?
Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Kael
Whistlepig
posted 08-07-2007 05:39:56 PM
quote:
`Doc's unholy Backstreet Boys obsession manifested in:
So one mission in each set has a built-in catch 22?

Yes and no. Said mission is sort of an epilogue/finishing touch for players that completed RoZ and CoP.

Skaw
posted 08-07-2007 05:56:11 PM
quote:
Kael had this to say about pies:
Yes and no. Said mission is sort of an epilogue/finishing touch for players that completed RoZ and CoP.

Yep. It was added well after Chains of Promathia(the latter expansion of the two) was completed, so it's more of a bonus mission for both.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: