EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King
Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 08-03-2007 04:38:26 PM
It's official! The next WoW expansion is opening up Northrend!

Included will be new level cap of 80, new dungeons, character customization features, siege warfare with deployable siege engines, and a new profession, Inscriptions.

And the biggest feature: they are finally putting in the Hero Classes with the inclusion of the first one, the "Death Knight".

Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Pouncer of the 12th degree!
"Cxularath ftombn gonoragh pv'iornw hqxoxon targh!"
Translated: "Sell your soul for a cookie?"
Oreowned
My friends call me 'Wiggles'
posted 08-03-2007 04:49:59 PM
Looks awesome.

I know it's not like it's coming out tomorrow or anything but I still have this feeling like, "Guh...I'm not even done with the shit the last expansion put out and there's already another one!"

I'm most excited about the new hairstyles and dances. :x

Also, I can see the "Nerf Death Knights" posts on the general forums already. >w<

Vin~
Crack Dealer
First One's Free!
posted 08-03-2007 05:14:19 PM
I'm really curious about how the hero classes are going to be implemented. It reads on the F.A.Q. that you will need to unlock it via meeting certain requirements.

Personally, I think they would be better off just implementing some of the hero classes abilities via 70-80 talents.

Trent
Smurfberry Moneyshot
posted 08-03-2007 05:34:31 PM
any new mid level content?

or do i still gotta grind new characters through all the same boring stuff again?

lack of mid level content is why i left.

and... i thought outlands were pretty boring really.

blood elves were cool though.

Talonus
Loner
posted 08-03-2007 05:36:34 PM
Another gear reset. How long till the uber raiders stop raiding? Maybe the casuals will get to see the higher end BC combat once they're 80, if anyone actually goes back to it.

Trailer looked cool. Blizzard won't be tricking me to come back this time around though.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 08-03-2007 05:56:36 PM
I want Pandaren.
Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Willias
Pancake
posted 08-03-2007 06:17:25 PM
Outland was pretty cool from the get go.

This? This is kind of disappointing in comparison.

Now, what really confuses me, is that Dalaran is the new capital for Northrend.

An Alliance city. For both Horde and Alliance. sup lore?

Various info can be found here (general expansion stuff), and here (class info, still being updated, I like the shaman description).

Maradon!
posted 08-03-2007 06:25:31 PM
quote:
x--WilliasO-('-'Q) :
Now, what really confuses me, is that Dalaran is the new capital for Northrend.

An Alliance city. For both Horde and Alliance. sup lore?[/URL]

I'm pretty certain Dalaran was always an autonomous mage guild, tied more closely to the high elves than the alliance at large - the high elves who are now in the horde.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 08-03-2007 06:30:08 PM
This won't work at all.

It is just a gear reset, sure. There's no new mid-level content, so you're basically stuck with whatever 70 you have, since no one else plays the mid-levels except twink guilds.

Siege weapons will result in an immediate decrease for the Horde. Blood Elves did nothing to bolster Horde numbers while Alliance numbers continued to grow, thus securing Alliance strangleholds over all world PvP objectives and further decreasing Horde numbers.

Not to mention that the tank population has never really recovered since the Warrior nerfs and all the other classes were buffed, further decreasing mid-level participation.

So, basically, unless you have a level 70 Alliance, you don't get to play.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 08-03-2007 06:31:39 PM
As an addition, this expansion will probably be going head to head with WAR.
Willias
Pancake
posted 08-03-2007 06:36:51 PM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about the Spice Girls:
I'm pretty certain Dalaran was always an autonomous mage guild, tied more closely to the high elves than the alliance at large - the high elves who are now in the horde.

High Elves aren't Blood Elves. I thought Dalaran had a problem with Blood Elves and their dealings with demonic magic?

quote:
Siege weapons will result in an immediate decrease for the Horde. Blood Elves did nothing to bolster Horde numbers while Alliance numbers continued to grow, thus securing Alliance strangleholds over all world PvP objectives and further decreasing Horde numbers.

Whoa there. Siege weapons are only usable in one out of ten zones in the expansion. Essentially the zone is a giant open-to-all Battleground.

Willias fucked around with this message on 08-03-2007 at 06:38 PM.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 08-03-2007 06:51:01 PM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan said:
As an addition, this expansion will probably be going head to head with WAR.

I know which one I'll be playing.

FOR TZEENTCH!

Maradon!
posted 08-03-2007 06:51:01 PM
The point is that Dalaran was never really much of an alliance city.
Mightion Defensor
posted 08-03-2007 07:23:48 PM
quote:
Maradon! wrote their words upon the rocks;
The point is that Dalaran was never really much of an alliance city.

So, you can say they were on the bubble, then?

Mr. Parcelan
posted 08-03-2007 08:06:50 PM
quote:
Willias had this to say about John Romero:
Whoa there. Siege weapons are only usable in one out of ten zones in the expansion. Essentially the zone is a giant open-to-all Battleground.

Open-to-all = No capped numbers = Three Horde for every twenty Alliance = no fun = immediate decrease in Horde.

Malbi
posted 08-03-2007 10:24:51 PM
quote:
The logic train ran off the tracks when Mr. Parcelan said:
Open-to-all = No capped numbers = Three Horde for every twenty Alliance = no fun = immediate decrease in Horde.

What the heck is a hero class? is WoW adding prestige classes or something?

I Didnt ask to be Secretary of Balloon Doggies, the Balloon Doggies demanded it!
Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 08-03-2007 10:36:24 PM
quote:
Malbi spewed forth this undeniable truth:
What the heck is a hero class? is WoW adding prestige classes or something?

Actually, it looks more like the Jedi orignally as it was released in Star Wars Galaxies. Do some certain quests/requirments to unlock the ability to make a Death Knight character which automatically starts out high in level, or something to that effect.

Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Pouncer of the 12th degree!
"Cxularath ftombn gonoragh pv'iornw hqxoxon targh!"
Translated: "Sell your soul for a cookie?"
Brahmin Bloodlust
High Priest of Drysart
posted 08-03-2007 10:46:13 PM
quote:
Verily, Katrinity doth proclaim:
Actually, it looks more like the Jedi orignally as it was released in Star Wars Galaxies. Do some certain quests/requirments to unlock the ability to make a Death Knight character which automatically starts out high in level, or something to that effect.

Thats what worries me. Due to the fact that the original Jedi grind (when they finally put Jedi in after all that time) ended up needing you to be a Hair Dresser or Dancer (I shit you not), which killed my life long dream of enjoying the life in the Star Wars Universe...

"So I have to be a Dancer, so I can become one with the force?"

replace that with...

"I have to become an armorsmith on my mage to unlock Death Knight?"

If it goes that route, I'll be thankful that the next MMO will be out.

Taeldian
Pancake
posted 08-03-2007 10:55:38 PM
quote:
Brahmin Bloodlust was naked while typing this:
Thats what worries me. Due to the fact that the original Jedi grind (when they finally put Jedi in after all that time) ended up needing you to be a Hair Dresser or Dancer (I shit you not), which killed my life long dream of enjoying the life in the Star Wars Universe...

replace that with...

Unlocking hero classes is just a matter of doing a quest that's on par with the warlock dreadsteed quest.

Malbi
posted 08-03-2007 11:28:32 PM
ahh so its like the two alien energy based classes from CoX
I Didnt ask to be Secretary of Balloon Doggies, the Balloon Doggies demanded it!
Tier
posted 08-03-2007 11:34:19 PM
Parce, enlighten me, have you even played lately?
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 08-03-2007 11:54:29 PM
PAN DA REN
Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Kaiote
Shot in the Face
posted 08-04-2007 12:02:30 AM
quote:
Brahmin Bloodlust attempted to be funny by writing:

replace that with...

Dancer took a week of botting in your downtime, and hairdresser only took a couple hours. Image designer took a touch longer. And since you could always keep your combat professions up, its not like you were starting all over.

The bitch of it was, people would spend months grinding, then more months finding holocrons and grinding.. when they could have just mastered every class in 6 weeks or so and been done.

(And no, not all jedi paths included entertainer profs.)

Henry had been killed by a garden gnome.He had fallen off the roof onto that cheerful-looking figure. The gnome was made of concrete. Henry wasn't. - Dean Koontz, Velocity
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 08-04-2007 12:11:45 AM
quote:
Kaiote said:
The bitch of it was, people would spend months grinding, then more months finding holocrons and grinding.. when they could have just mastered every class in 6 weeks or so and been done.

They turned the unlocking off a few months before they made the village and didn't tell anyone. But they didn't turn the holocrons off. So people were grinding for no reason.

gg SOE

KaLourin
Illanae's Stooge!
posted 08-04-2007 11:01:38 AM
quote:
Malbi had this to say about Jimmy Carter:
ahh so its like the two alien energy based classes from CoX

only requirement to unlock them though, is to get a normal character to 50.

Dont make me slap you so hard your bucket spins around, and around,and stops sideways,thus confusing you, and making you run about London wearing your bucket, a g-string, and carrying a stick,smacking the ground while yelling "MAGICALLY DELICIOUS! MAGICALLY FUCKING DELICIOUS!"- {Tal} to Mortious
Hebrew 9:3- 'And the Lord said unto me, "Dude, there isn't a K in covenant."' - Snoota

This beer drops trou and fucks your mouth with pure hoppy goodness. - Karnaj
Tier
posted 08-04-2007 01:45:19 PM
quote:
KaLourin attempted to be funny by writing:
only requirement to unlock them though, is to get a normal character to 50.

Which is in itself much, much more tedious than any quest currently offered by WoW. =p

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 08-04-2007 04:33:42 PM
quote:
Asha'man had this to say about Matthew Broderick:
Which is in itself much, much more tedious than any quest currently offered by WoW. =p

Probably have to be level 80 too to unlock the ones in WoW. so you have to get to 80 AND do quests. Which is longer than just getting 50 in CoH.

I mean, really...in all, if you enjoy the road to 50 or the road to 80 + quests, it doesnt matter. You're having fun as you unlock stuff.

Maradon!
posted 08-04-2007 05:15:43 PM
Looks like there's no graphical update planned.

For a game that looked dated years ago, I kinda expected that.

Oh well, guess we're stuck with low res textures, no real lighting system, and a claustrophobic clip plane :\

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 08-04-2007 at 05:16 PM.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 08-04-2007 05:21:24 PM
They're not about to alienate the crowd that plays on shitty low-end systems like SOE did with Luclin
Talonus
Loner
posted 08-04-2007 05:25:23 PM
quote:
A sleep deprived Maradon! stammered:
Looks like there's no graphical update planned.

For a game that looked dated years ago, I kinda expected that.

Oh well, guess we're stuck with low res textures, no real lighting system, and a claustrophobic clip plane :\

I'm not too surprised that the graphics engine isn't going to be updated. The game is less than three years old, so it'll likely be another two years before the engine gets rehauled.

I don't see why they'd rehaul the engine just yet either; the game runs well on even the lowest common denominator system and the graphics aren't exactly horrible. Maybe the expansion pack after this there will be a rehaul.

Maradon!
posted 08-04-2007 05:27:05 PM
They could easily make client changes optional, like SOE did with Luclin.

Just add more space to the right of the clip plane slider, a few more notches on the texture quality bar, and an option for high poly character models.

quote:
Talonusing:
and the graphics aren't exactly horrible.

The graphics aren't exactly horrible unless you compare them to any other game released in the last 5 years or so. FFXI has lower system requirements than WoW and looks a dozen times better.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 08-04-2007 at 05:29 PM.

Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 08-04-2007 05:41:01 PM
I doubt Blizzard will do a graphics overhaul, or any significant overhaul of any kind. If they went with high polygon models, even optional ones, they'd lose one of the biggest points of contention when people complain about the graphics: the art style. In addition, one of Blizzard's strategies for WoW has been to keep the specs as low as possible so more people can play.

I'm curious if there will be any meaningful updates, rather than just more gear/zones/classes.

Talonus
Loner
posted 08-04-2007 05:48:29 PM
quote:
Maradon! was naked while typing this:

Just add more space to the right of the clip plane slider, a few more notches on the texture quality bar, and an option for high poly character models.

Changing the clip plane is a pretty big change really and can require gameplay balance testing along with the normal functional testing. It isn't something taken lightly. Higher poly characters require more HD space and can only be pushed out in an expansion (OK, this would be a decent time) or through optional downloads.

In both cases, remember that the lowest common denominator idiot players who turn on this stuff even if their system can't handle it and bitch about performance.

quote:
Maradon! was naked while typing this:
The graphics aren't exactly horrible unless you compare them to any other game released in the last 5 years or so. FFXI has lower system requirements than WoW and looks a dozen times better.

You put out cutting edge graphics with a FPS, not a MMO. There's a whole bunch of reasons for this. Compared to most other MMOs, WoW doesn't have horrible graphics. Can you find better? Yeah. You can also find a lot worse too.

Maradon!
posted 08-04-2007 06:05:43 PM
quote:
Talonusing:
You put out cutting edge graphics with a FPS, not a MMO. There's a whole bunch of reasons for this. Compared to most other MMOs, WoW doesn't have horrible graphics. Can you find better? Yeah. You can also find a lot worse too.

The only MMO's I can think of that have worse graphics than WoW were released three or four years before wow. I'd say that even AO has graphics almost on-par with WoW.

Scores of free korean MMO's have better graphics than WoW, and they don't even have shelf sales covering development costs.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 08-04-2007 at 06:06 PM.

Tier
posted 08-04-2007 06:19:23 PM
quote:
Falaanla Marr had this to say about pies:
Probably have to be level 80 too to unlock the ones in WoW. so you have to get to 80 AND do quests. Which is longer than just getting 50 in CoH.

CoH is shorter. But it's not fun.

Hence, "tedium".

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 08-04-2007 06:26:21 PM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about Punky Brewster:

Even with everything on the same settings, EQ1's Luclin engine didn't run on the same low-end systems that the pre-Luclin engine did

Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 08-04-2007 07:12:28 PM
quote:
Kegwen was listening to Cher while typing:
Even with everything on the same settings, EQ1's Luclin engine didn't run on the same low-end systems that the pre-Luclin engine did

Didn't they at one point fuck the entirety of Win95 (or Win98, can't remember) users by upgrading DirectX?

Cos I remember that being a shitfest.

Also mara: Consider this. The low poly models, small clip plane and other things allow for massive battles in PvP (AV as an example) as well as providing a stable raiding environ that the game is based around.

Elvish Crack Piper
Murder is justified so long as people believe in something different than you do
posted 08-05-2007 02:27:35 PM
Arguments aside, I went in with a group of 4 other people who had found the first instance. We got to the first boss before wiping, oh so bad, with blizzards pre-made charecters. Level 72 Elite Necromancer thingie thats going to make priest/paladin required to even attempt it at even level play. Guy stuns for 22 second duration and we had no one who could dispel magic Its like the PVP trinket would be tight during a boss fight. He starts off with 4 guards who were hitting the, alright geared, MS warrior that I prefabs for like 2500 HP each. Was crazy, it took us 3 tries just to kill his 4 guards, and when the last guard dies, it aggros the boss

Was fun though, until he summoned like 8 level 70 skelatons and ran over one of us while the boss 22 second stunned the resto shamen healing us

I dont think blizzard intended to let us beat him, most people only got to play for 20 minutes at a time, and we got about 40 in because the con was closing and everyone was in the 2nd part of the arena show. Tommy Tagliarino was hosting, and that guy can go die, so I played WoW demo. Yay!

(Insert Funny Phrase Here)
KaLourin
Illanae's Stooge!
posted 08-05-2007 02:37:20 PM
[QUOTE]Asha'man said this about your mom:
Which is in itself much, much more tedious than any quest currently offered by WoW. =p[/QUOTE

tedium or not, it's something that would happen regardless without a quest implemented to unlock them. People will eventually get a character to level 50 and open the race.

Dont make me slap you so hard your bucket spins around, and around,and stops sideways,thus confusing you, and making you run about London wearing your bucket, a g-string, and carrying a stick,smacking the ground while yelling "MAGICALLY DELICIOUS! MAGICALLY FUCKING DELICIOUS!"- {Tal} to Mortious
Hebrew 9:3- 'And the Lord said unto me, "Dude, there isn't a K in covenant."' - Snoota

This beer drops trou and fucks your mouth with pure hoppy goodness. - Karnaj
Elvish Crack Piper
Murder is justified so long as people believe in something different than you do
posted 08-05-2007 02:49:07 PM
Its still just tedium vs tedium.

Barring a requirement like "head of level 83 raid boss" eventually anyone could get it

(Insert Funny Phrase Here)
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: