EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Is it safe to eat?
Vin~
Crack Dealer
First One's Free!
posted 07-24-2007 12:40:02 PM
So I went to the grocery store and bought some stuff for a sandwich. The cheese was hiding though, and may have been out for an hour or two. How long can that stuff be out of the fridge before it goes bad? I'm scared to try.

P.S. - It was velveeta sliced cheese btw.

Ares
posted 07-24-2007 12:43:16 PM
Velveeta isn't really cheese anyways, so you're fine.
Azakias
Never wore the pants, thus still wields the power of unused (_|_)
posted 07-24-2007 12:46:13 PM
People will throw milk products away when they have been out long enough not to be ice cold anymore, but I know from personal experience that milk does not go bad for at least 3 hours in a comfortable temperature.

Cheese is even hardier. Think about how long the cheese on your nachos at the movie theater might have been sitting out.

No, it wont kill you.

"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
Hostile Makeover
Evil as chocolate covered thistles
posted 07-24-2007 12:47:36 PM
Velveeta isn't real food. It's like twinkies. That being said? In basest terms, cheese is nothing but spoiled milk anyways.

Eat up!

Vin~
Crack Dealer
First One's Free!
posted 07-24-2007 12:48:26 PM
I think I'll eat a pizzone atm, thanks though. :3
Mr. Gainsborough
posted 07-24-2007 01:47:53 PM
Why would you buy Velveeta in the first place?

Ugh.

Greenlit
posted 07-24-2007 01:59:41 PM
quote:
So quoth Mr. Gainsborough:
Why would you buy Velveeta in the first place?

Ugh.

Good for salsa mixes.

And that's about it.

Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 07-24-2007 02:22:42 PM
Velveeta... more like Vel-not-real-cheese-or-even-really-edible-eeta!
Skaw
posted 07-24-2007 02:23:49 PM
quote:
Azakias had this to say about Cuba:
Think about how long the cheese on your nachos at the movie theater might have been sitting out.

Thats not cheese. It's a cheese flavored corn based product.

Monica
I've got an owie on my head :(
posted 07-24-2007 02:36:49 PM
quote:
Greenlit had this to say about Optimus Prime:
Good for salsa mixes.

And that's about it.

Yeah, I use it when I make queso but not for anything else.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 07-24-2007 02:43:15 PM
quote:
The propaganda machine of Skaw's junta released this statement:
Thats not cheese. It's a cheese flavored corn based product.

It amazes me how corn shows up in basically every food product(in the form of high fructose corn syrup), despite being horrible for you. Hell, they even put it in shitty beer.

EDIT: clarification of your face

Karnaj fucked around with this message on 07-24-2007 at 02:47 PM.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 07-24-2007 02:59:19 PM
quote:
Check out the big brain on Karnaj!
It amazes me how corn shows up in basically every food product(in the form of high fructose corn syrup), despite being horrible for you. Hell, they even put it in shitty beer.

Hooray corn subsidies!

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 07-24-2007 03:10:05 PM
Choking hazard.
Vin~
Crack Dealer
First One's Free!
posted 07-24-2007 04:01:39 PM
I like cheese slices on my sandwich, and it seemed decent. *shrugs*
Elvish Crack Piper
Murder is justified so long as people believe in something different than you do
posted 07-24-2007 06:21:58 PM
quote:
Xyrra had this to say about pies:
Velveeta isn't real food. It's like twinkies. That being said? In basest terms, cheese is nothing but spoiled milk anyways.

Eat up!

So, I can leave my cheese out and it makes better nachos?

SWEET!

(Insert Funny Phrase Here)
Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 07-24-2007 07:13:01 PM
As long as it isn't growing fuzz, you're golden. And even then, you can just slice that part off.
I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piƱa coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Callalron
Hires people with hooks
posted 07-24-2007 08:04:41 PM
quote:
Monica had this to say about Optimus Prime:
Yeah, I use it when I make queso but not for anything else.

It makes passable bait for trout fishing. So much so that when I was a kid and we'd buy some, the first question the cashier would ask is, "Goin' fishing?".

Callalron
"When mankind finally discovers the center of the universe, a lot of people are going to be upset that it isn't them."
"If you give a man a fish he'll eat for a day. If you teach a man to fish he'll just go out and buy an ugly hat. But if you talk to a starving man about fish, then you've become a consultant."--Dogbert
Arvek, 41 Bounty Hunter
Vrook Lamar server
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 07-24-2007 08:18:47 PM
quote:
When the babel fish was in place, it was apparent Azakias said:
Think about how long the cheese on your nachos at the movie theater might have been sitting out.

What always blew my mind is that people will buy nachos from 24-hour convenience stores. You're lucky if they mop the floor. Have you ever seen the jug they mix the icees in? Worked at a convenience store one summer. Will never buy anything like that from a convenience store again. Ever. EVER.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Norim Stumpfighter
Milkmaid
posted 07-24-2007 10:11:06 PM
I work in a grocery store. Regular Velveeta does not require refrigeration. I am unsure whether the slices need to be refrigerated or not. They come in and are kept with the regular cold cheese slices. Check the packaging. If you can't find anywhere on the package that says, "Keep Refrigerated" or "Refrigerate after opening" (granted the second shouldn't apply in this situation) you're golden.
Pvednes
Lynched
posted 07-25-2007 02:29:22 AM
Cheese does not go off, it matures.
Norim Stumpfighter
Milkmaid
posted 07-25-2007 09:06:25 PM
processed cheese does go bad, real cheese matures.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: