EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Mass Effect is like Jesus himself has decended to earth and made a video game
Steven Steve
posted 07-24-2007 10:41:02 AM
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/807/807496p1.html

The faces are like...

The story is like...

The game is like...

"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Mr. Parcelan
posted 07-24-2007 10:59:10 AM
I'm really excited about this game. It looks like Knights of the Old Republic, except without the gay storyline, cliche plot, wookiees, ewoks or Ja'Deth.

I swear to God, Ja'Deth, if this game gets delayed, I will CUT YOU.

Steven Steve
posted 07-24-2007 11:07:57 AM
Wipe this pathetic planet from the face of the garakushii

Actually the story in this one is cliche nonsense also, since video game developers are incapable of both gameplay innovation and artistic innovation simultaneously

Stalwart Steve fucked around with this message on 07-24-2007 at 11:17 AM.

"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 07-24-2007 12:08:51 PM
Servers must be getting absolutely hammered.
Steven Steve
posted 07-24-2007 12:25:27 PM
The stream is usually just pathetic for anyone not on the west coast of the US

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 07-24-2007 01:06:26 PM
Finally got it, looks fucking awesome.

Really looking forward to this.

Steven Steve
posted 07-24-2007 06:50:19 PM
There's some info about the classes on the website. It seems they are mostly just the typical sliding scale of magic/physical/tactical.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 07-24-2007 06:59:26 PM
Oh hay in other news I checked out the IGN site for Fallout 3.

Seems it's just Oblivion with a Fallout 3 skin, even the producer says it's that on the interview. More NPC voices though so there's no same-voice syndrome like in Oblivion.

nem-x
posted 07-24-2007 07:11:13 PM
get rid of voiceovers and add dumb speech dialogue trees
Steven Steve
posted 07-24-2007 07:20:53 PM
Whyyyyyyy do people liiiiiike Fallouuuuuuuuuut

Tier
posted 07-25-2007 01:47:32 AM
I don't know.
Akiraiu Zenko
Is actually a giddy schoolgirl
posted 07-25-2007 02:46:31 AM
I've had my eyes on this game for a long time now, and I do believe I'm looking forward to it more than any other game. And with Fallout 3, Blue Dragon, and Bioshock on the horizon, that's saying something!
The artist formerly known as Zephyer Kyuukaze.
Alaan
posted 07-25-2007 11:45:36 AM
The Blue Dragon demo was a resounding meh for me. Toriyama draws stuff like Toriyama! JRPG has terrible voice acting! Cliche lines! It's everything I could ever want in a game.
Demos
Pancake
posted 07-25-2007 04:49:00 PM
Have they mentioned plans for a PC release? It wouldn't take much effort.
"Jesus saves, Buddha enlightens, Cthulhu thinks you'll make a nice sandwich."
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 07-25-2007 04:51:27 PM
quote:
Demos had this to say about Knight Rider:
Have they mentioned plans for a PC release? It wouldn't take much effort.

no

also: optimizing for various configurations and scalability is a little more effort than optimizing for a uniform console system. If you ever played Rainbow Six: Vegas for PC you'll understand what a poorly executed PC port of a 360 UE3 game can be

edit: that said you'll probably see it on PC in '08

Kegwen fucked around with this message on 07-25-2007 at 04:54 PM.

Steven Steve
posted 07-25-2007 05:46:40 PM
I dunno if I should get an Xbox 360 or what. My computer probably isn't going anywhere but a junkpile so I guess come November we will see.

nem-x
posted 07-25-2007 06:25:03 PM
Gadani
U
posted 07-25-2007 06:48:38 PM
It says on the Mass Effect website that it is a planned xbox 360 exclusive and they have no plans for a PC release.
KaLourin
Illanae's Stooge!
posted 07-25-2007 07:04:27 PM
quote:
Gadani had this to say about Tron:
It says on the Mass Effect website that it is a planned xbox 360 exclusive and they have no plans for a PC release.

they said the same thing about Jade Empire too

Dont make me slap you so hard your bucket spins around, and around,and stops sideways,thus confusing you, and making you run about London wearing your bucket, a g-string, and carrying a stick,smacking the ground while yelling "MAGICALLY DELICIOUS! MAGICALLY FUCKING DELICIOUS!"- {Tal} to Mortious
Hebrew 9:3- 'And the Lord said unto me, "Dude, there isn't a K in covenant."' - Snoota

This beer drops trou and fucks your mouth with pure hoppy goodness. - Karnaj
Demos
Pancake
posted 07-25-2007 07:31:53 PM
They'll probably realize that the income from a PC port would be greater then that from people who are "on the fence" about buying a 360. Plus, it would be a Windows-only game, so they could still justify it as a Microsoft-exclusive.
"Jesus saves, Buddha enlightens, Cthulhu thinks you'll make a nice sandwich."
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 07-25-2007 11:19:46 PM
quote:
Demos's unholy Backstreet Boys obsession manifested in:
They'll probably realize that the income from a PC port would be greater then that from people who are "on the fence" about buying a 360. Plus, it would be a Windows-only game, so they could still justify it as a Microsoft-exclusive.

It'd be dumb for them to announce it as an eventual Windows port at this point. Microsoft is going all out for this holiday season. There are at least half a dozen "system seller" titles scheduled for the last half of this year and Microsoft is doing everything they can to show consumers that the best game experiences this year will be available on their console.

They're ready for the games division to move into this black and this holiday season is absolutely crucial to achieving that in the timeframe that they're looking at

Kegwen fucked around with this message on 07-25-2007 at 11:34 PM.

Maradon!
posted 07-26-2007 12:12:03 AM
quote:
Over the mountain, in between the ups and downs, I ran into Demos who doth quote:

The PC gaming market is by far small beans compared to the console gaming market. Half-Life 2 has around four million units sold to date, Gears of War had that many ten weeks after launch, and it wasn't a highly anticipated sequel.

There's just no reason for a developer to sacrifice exclusivity just to take part in the measly and fickle, not to mention piracy-ridden, PC market

Blackened
posted 07-26-2007 12:52:12 AM
PC GAMIN IZ DEAD

Although my distaste for you as a human being is brobdingnagian,
what I'm about to do isn't personal.
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 07-26-2007 12:55:23 AM
quote:
Blackened Model 2000 was programmed to say:
PC GAMIN IZ DEAD

it's not dead and it's certainly not going anywhere but the market is smaller than the console market

when $500 dell PCs can play the latest and greatest PC games in a way that does them justice graphically then we might see the PC market catch up

Maradon!
posted 07-26-2007 07:05:23 AM
quote:
Over the mountain, in between the ups and downs, I ran into Kegwen who doth quote:
it's not dead and it's certainly not going anywhere but the market is smaller than the console market

when $500 dell PCs can play the latest and greatest PC games in a way that does them justice graphically then we might see the PC market catch up

I think piracy has more to do with it than price, really. Piracy exists on consoles too, but in nowhere near the capacity that it does on the PC. I believe this is the biggest reason why most of the big PC games lately have been MMO's.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 07-26-2007 07:58:45 AM
quote:
Maradon! was listening to Cher while typing:
I think piracy has more to do with it than price, really. Piracy exists on consoles too, but in nowhere near the capacity that it does on the PC. I believe this is the biggest reason why most of the big PC games lately have been MMO's.

Well I do agree with your point, but what I was driving at is availability. A lot of people have $500 Dells in their house, but of course those machines cannot play the latest and greatest. Especially kids who often share a computer with their parents (or perhaps were given the old one as a hand-me-down when their parents bought a new one) who find the $500 PC to be good enough for their needs. Same parents usually don't mind spending a bit to buy their kid a console, though. I know that not all console sales are intended for kids and all, but it's certainly a huge factor.

Plus the idea of upgrading every 4-6 years is more appealing than upgrading every two to a lot of people

Kegwen fucked around with this message on 07-26-2007 at 07:59 AM.

Steven Steve
posted 07-26-2007 08:48:33 AM
I prefer games on the PC because the PC is BETTER

Alaan
posted 07-26-2007 12:37:35 PM
The 360 has put a serious dent in my PC gaming. Now instead of "I'll wait for the PC port" for an Xbox game its "I'll just play the 360 version" for most of the PC games I want. It is like, once every 6 months something I care about comes out on PC and not 360.
Tier
posted 07-26-2007 04:09:42 PM
No kidding. It used to be the other way around, so whenever a game came out as Xbox exclusive I was pissed. But now PC releases leave me indifferent, especially considering most of them are really just console ports.

Still undecided on what I'll play Bioshock on. Probably will purchase 360, download PC.

Asha'man fucked around with this message on 07-26-2007 at 04:13 PM.

Steven Steve
posted 07-26-2007 10:14:35 PM
I actually haven't cared about any new games for a while. I usually just wait until games have been out for a while and then get them from Gogamer for like $5.

Tier
posted 07-26-2007 11:49:31 PM
Guilty as charged. Dead Rising, Crackdown, Ninety-nine nights and Kameo for $10 each? Don't mind if I do.
Maradon!
posted 07-27-2007 12:37:23 AM
Yeah, I'm torn regarding my bioshock platform too.

I'd get better frame rates on my 360 by far, but it IS an fps and a gamepad just isn't the same.

ArchAngel
Not a girl, never will be, no matter how much you may hear differently
posted 07-27-2007 02:48:09 AM
I just can't do FPS games on a console... not since the days of Goldeneye on N64.
"What power would hell have if those imprisoned there could not dream of heaven?" -Dream, Sandman
"When the first living thing existed, I was there waiting. When the last living thing dies, my job will be finished. I'll put the chairs on the tables, turn out the lights, and lock the universe behind me as I leave." -Death, Sandman
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot." Dream, Sandman
Full sigpic image
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 07-27-2007 03:07:18 AM
Bioshock seems more like a sitting on the couch in front of your HDTV with surround sound on kind of game than a PC game.

I need surround sound

Steven Steve
posted 07-27-2007 09:46:17 AM
Yeah it seems like the weapons do no damage anyway, and it looks like Fable so you might as well play it on Xbox.

TheOriginalZane
Pancake
posted 07-27-2007 03:05:08 PM
Steven Steve
posted 07-27-2007 03:27:29 PM
I'LL FIND SOME WAY TO TAKE HIM DOWN.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 07-27-2007 06:51:06 PM
man I guess I have a really high tolerance for shitty voice acting and writing because Mass Effect's is pretty good for a video game

I hold video games to different standards than movies and TV shows though

Steven Steve
posted 07-27-2007 07:50:48 PM
Of course it's fairly good for a video game, but that's not saying much. Video game voice acting has always been infuriating to me, like when I had to put a hiatus on playing Dark Messiah of Might and Magic so my hormone levels could drop. The most tolerable acting is usually in obscure games, like Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance (Baldur's Gate was annoying though). Deus Ex was quite tolerable also.

Greenlit
posted 07-27-2007 07:57:49 PM
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: