EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: So I bought a new car.
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 07-23-2007 08:30:01 PM
Yeah. Been wanting one of these for awhile now, finally went ahead and bought it. Mazda CX7. Nice car. And yes, those wheels are coming off Thursday when I go in to get the stickers they have on the back windshield off. They were an extra set of wheels they were trying to sell with the car that I didn't want. $3,000 wheels = No Thank You.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 07-23-2007 08:41:48 PM
It's like a small European/Jap car trying desperately to look like a big tough American car.

Not my style at all but grats if you like it and are happy.

Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 07-23-2007 08:56:46 PM
HOW DO YOU AFFORD THESE THINGS?

grats dude. Those are good rides.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 07-23-2007 09:05:15 PM
quote:
Blindy. had this to say about Captain Planet:
HOW DO YOU AFFORD THESE THINGS?

grats dude. Those are good rides.

It's only the base model. Got 2000 off via dealer incentives and another 2200 of credit for my mustang. Ended up financing around 21,000 bucks. Am actually paying less than I was on my Mustang, due to a not as favorable loan and much more negotiation on my part this time around.

Falaanla Marr fucked around with this message on 07-23-2007 at 09:05 PM.

Mightion Defensor
posted 07-23-2007 09:23:18 PM
Nice wheels. (The whole car, I mean, not the $3k jobbers.)
Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 07-23-2007 09:35:46 PM
quote:
I wish Falaanla Marr would say this more often:
It's only the base model. Got 2000 off via dealer incentives and another 2200 of credit for my mustang. Ended up financing around 21,000 bucks. Am actually paying less than I was on my Mustang, due to a not as favorable loan and much more negotiation on my part this time around.

Holy crap!

I should look into getting myself one. The ole' GTI is getting long in the tooth and short in the trunk.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 07-23-2007 09:46:23 PM
quote:
Blindy. still thinks SARS jokes are topical, as evidenced by:
Holy crap!

I should look into getting myself one. The ole' GTI is getting long in the tooth and short in the trunk.

Just get a new GTI. The DSG? It's like butter, it is.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Azakias
Never wore the pants, thus still wields the power of unused (_|_)
posted 07-23-2007 10:00:57 PM
quote:
Mortious wrote this stupid crap:
It's like a small European/Jap car trying desperately to look like a big tough American car.

Not my style at all but grats if you like it and are happy.

Come to think of it, the only American cars that really look wussy or retarded are the Ford Focuses.

Huh.

"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 07-23-2007 10:08:20 PM
quote:
Blindy. spewed forth this undeniable truth:
Holy crap!

Yeah, the CX7 really isn't that expensive if you go with the base model. You can add on the tech package for 4 grand (moonroof, bose sound system, DVD navigation system and rear view camera) and add on the grand touring stuff for 2500 (leather seats, automatic climate control, xenon HID lights). They really aren't that badly priced and I hear a lot of dealers up North run some crazy ass specials on them, selling them as low as 5 grand off of MSRP.

Addy
posted 07-23-2007 11:20:45 PM
Wanna trade cars?
Aaron (the good one)
posted 07-23-2007 11:37:38 PM
quote:
Azakias likes the cock and also said this;
Come to think of it, the only American cars that really look wussy or retarded are the Ford Focuses.

Huh.

Hey fuck you

Galbadia Hotel - Video Game Music
I am Canadian and I hate The Tragically Hip
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 07-24-2007 02:15:25 AM
quote:
Addy thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:
Wanna trade cars?

How about I let you ride in it in a couple of weeks.

Mr. Gainsborough
posted 07-24-2007 02:41:19 AM
come on and ride in my car
Tier
posted 07-24-2007 03:12:32 AM
Jump in my car, it's way too far to walk on your own! Come on and jump in my car, it's dangerous to go there alone!
Monica
I've got an owie on my head :(
posted 07-24-2007 01:10:41 PM
quote:
Sam Watkins had this to say about Optimus Prime:
Hey fuck you

I like the ford focuses. I want one, I think they're cute!

Azakias
Never wore the pants, thus still wields the power of unused (_|_)
posted 07-24-2007 01:18:16 PM
quote:
Verily, Monica doth proclaim:
I like the ford focuses. I want one, I think they're cute!

Up here in VA, anytime you see a Focus, you pretty much know that the person driving it is going to be blaring loud, bad R&B or rap, swerving all over the lanes, and cutting you off if given half a chance.

These are usually the same people who drive while laying almost horizontal in the car, barely able to see over the dashboard, with the ugly-ass low profile wheels oversized on their cars, while lowered to the point that the frame of the car is scraping all over the road.

These are also usually the cars you see involved in accidents on the side of the road that cause all the stupid rubberneckers to slow their asses down so they can look at the retard who doesnt know how to drive.

Another type of car you see that does many of the aforementioned activities around here are fucking Expeditions.

"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
Monica
I've got an owie on my head :(
posted 07-24-2007 01:27:48 PM
Heh. That doesn't apply here AT ALL.
Skaw
posted 07-24-2007 02:33:48 PM
Seriously, Focus' are yuppy vehicles here.
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 07-24-2007 03:14:47 PM
Focuses are rare where I live. Everyone drives a Honda Accord or Toyota Corolla. Everyone.
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 07-24-2007 03:59:04 PM
Congrats on the new car, Fal. I don't know much about the Mazda models, so I can't really say much. You did say you've wanted it for a long time, so I'm glad you got something to make you happy.
quote:
Ninety-nine bottles of Karnaj on the wall, ninety-nine bottles of Karnaj...
Focuses are rare where I live. Everyone drives a Honda Accord or Toyota Corolla. Everyone.
My 2003 corolla got caught in a flash flood last Wednesday, in the parking lot where I work. I was able to drive it to the mechanic afterwards, but it doesn't run now, and the insurance company wrote it off as a total loss. The good news is I won't have to deal with unseen flood damage a few months/years down the road. The downside is I need to deal with the insurance company (and hope they don't take 3 months to pay me) and find a replacement car (for which I'll need to pay the cost difference).

My insurance is providing a rental car for the short term. It's a 2006 Ford Focus. The engine makes a constant roar/whine noise (at any speed) that gets on my nerves, and the radio overcompensates by doubling its volume with every 10mph speed increase. Visibility isn't terrible, but I can't see any of the front hood or trunk hood from inside the car unless I press my skull against the ceiling. (This means I don't know where the corners are, and am more likely to hit something during low-speed maneuvers.) I'm glad I don't own it.

Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

nem-x
posted 07-24-2007 06:22:54 PM
quote:
Everyone wondered WTF when Monica wrote:
I think they're cute!

waaaarrrrhaaaaaarhawaaaahawwwwwwwwhawwwww

Jajahotep
Vader to Deth's Obi-wan
posted 07-24-2007 08:51:31 PM
It's all hopped up on Mountain Dew!

Nice car. Love that color.

Noxhil2
Pancake
posted 07-24-2007 10:42:36 PM
The CX-7 (along with most Mazdas, now) is a really good car, congratulations.
Hostile Makeover
Evil as chocolate covered thistles
posted 07-25-2007 02:10:31 AM
quote:
Azakias had this to say about Knight Rider:
Blah blah blah generalizations.

Do you care for anything besides squirting out kids and mechanical whatever the hell it is you do?

Scream at the little bastards to get off your lawn already, get it out of your system. You're too goddamn young to be pruning up like this.

edit: Yay new cars!

Xyrra fucked around with this message on 07-25-2007 at 02:11 AM.

Blackened
posted 07-25-2007 03:04:14 AM
quote:
Xyrra.
Do you care for anything besides squirting out kids and mechanical whatever the hell it is you do?
Quoting this because serious lol

Although my distaste for you as a human being is brobdingnagian,
what I'm about to do isn't personal.
Mr. Parcelan
posted 07-25-2007 04:46:32 AM
quote:
Xyrra had this to say about Cuba:

Ahahahahahaha holy shit

Skaw
posted 07-25-2007 05:38:12 AM
Xyrra is

Skaw fucked around with this message on 07-25-2007 at 05:38 AM.

Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 07-25-2007 08:21:51 AM
Nice ride man. Those don't look like stock wheels?
"Pacifism is a privilege of the protected"
`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 07-25-2007 09:09:37 AM
quote:
Roll the dice to see if Azizza is getting drunk!
Nice ride man. Those don't look like stock wheels?
Someone didn't read
Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 07-25-2007 09:43:27 AM
quote:
`Doc painfully thought these words up:
Someone didn't read

Yeah I misread it. My bad. Still a nice ride. Although if they are trying to charge you 3K for those they are really ripping you off. Maybe 1200 with tires.

"Pacifism is a privilege of the protected"
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 07-25-2007 06:55:00 PM
My Dad has...shit I can't remember. Anyway, the deal was that the wheels are computer controlled, and the understanding was that if you blow one tire, you should really replace all four because the computer assumes they're all equal or some shit.
Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Maradon!
posted 07-25-2007 07:35:25 PM
quote:
Over the mountain, in between the ups and downs, I ran into Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael who doth quote:
My Dad has...shit I can't remember. Anyway, the deal was that the wheels are computer controlled, and the understanding was that if you blow one tire, you should really replace all four because the computer assumes they're all equal or some shit.

Wow, does that ever sound like a salesman scam.

They put that TruCoat on at the factory

I wish cars could be bought with zero human sales interaction.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 07-25-2007 at 07:36 PM.

Alek
Not The Rapist
posted 07-25-2007 07:44:19 PM
That's an odd looking car. Odd in a good way mind you, but still odd.
"Love wisdom, and she will make you great. Embrace her, and she will bring you honour. She will be your crowning glory."
-Proverbs 4:8-9
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 07-25-2007 08:13:23 PM
quote:
Maradon! put down Tada! magazine long enough to type:

Some places do that. There was a Dodge dealership up by me dad's that'd sell every car they have for $1000 over invoice. There was zero haggling involved; you'd browse their website, call the dealership, and they'd have the paperwork started by the time you got down there.

My dad, on the other hand, was a motorcycle salesman some years ago, so he knows all the bullshit manuevers. I love watching him stonewall car salesmen. What's that line from A Christmas Story? "The old man loved to haggle more than an Arab trader, and he was twice as shrewd."

Karnaj fucked around with this message on 07-25-2007 at 08:14 PM.

Beer.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 07-25-2007 08:17:04 PM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about Optimus Prime:

Edmunds article

That article is pretty neat. If you go in knowing exactly what you want and the games they're going to try to play, it works out. Plus, a part of me actually enjoyed playing the whole negotiation game. Ended up getting the car for a few hundred bucks under invoice before the tradein.

Alaan
posted 07-28-2007 12:51:22 PM
A big trick is going "I want a $xxx payment over xx months." Much harder for them to squeeze in a couple hundred bucks in financing or bullshit fees that way.
Mightion Defensor
posted 07-28-2007 04:11:07 PM
My mother is likely going to take her 2.5k miles Chevy Cobalt back to the dealer and tell them to keep it. Not because of anything wrong with the car; it's just that GMAC keeps failing to take payments from her account (even though the money is there); and sends her notices that she owes late fees.

They pooched her payment arrangements when she got the car (They mixed someone else's paperwork with hers and threw BOTH out - don't ask; I don't understand it myself.)

She thinks it's not worth the trouble any more... which means we'll have one car between the two of us; mine. Which overheats after 20 minutes on really hot and humid days, and I can't have looked at until a week from Tuesday.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 07-30-2007 01:05:24 PM
Cool ride. We're getting a new car, too, but the freaking factory in Austria is taking the next three weeks off, so we can't have it until the end of the month. Damned European "work ethic."
To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Kaglaaz How'ler
Pancake
posted 07-31-2007 12:51:06 AM
quote:
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael's account was hax0red to write:

Alright, I'll explain this... it has very little to do with the computer and more to do with All Wheel Drive vehicles. Tires need to be replaced in sets of four when a vehicle is an All Wheel Drive (full time) or 4 Wheel Drive (part time) The reason for this, is because different brands of tires while having the same size, won't be exactly the same as another tire of the same size. Having tires of different size, uneven front to rear tread wear, different brands or tread patterns can cause damage to the transfer case. The transfer case is a part of the drive train that sends power from the transmission to the front and rear wheels. If one of the above factors is different, say you put one tire on the vehicle and it's a slightly larger size, For one revolution of that one tire, the other 3 tires are making more than one revolution. This can cause transfer case damage and will stop your vehicle dead in it's tracks.

Basically if the vehicle is All Wheel Drive or 4 Wheel Drive you need to be replacing the tires in sets of four to minimize the potential for damage to the transfer case. Rotate your tires every 5000 to 6000 miles, check your pressure once a month (before you go anywhere if the car has sat a minimum of 3 hours, tire pressure changes with heat, and pressures recommended are "cold" pressures) and get your wheels aligned twice a year. All of these help keep your tires in good condition and prevent premature wearing of the tires. Also, doing all of that can help gas milage by as much as 15%.

Also a safety message and advice. The "Fix a Flat" garbage they sell in a can is JUNK! It typically doesn't seal the leak and ruins the inside of the tire where a patch could be glued by coating it with chemicals that prevents the glue from vulcanizing properly. Learn to use your jack and to put on your spare tire. Check the spare before long trips. Also, starting in September of this year, all vehicles manufactured for sale in the USA must have a Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS). These are small wireless transmitters inside the wheels (usually as part of the fill valve) that send a signal to the computer when the pressure gets below a set point. If you use "Fix a Flat" in one of these wheels, you have just clogged up the TPMS transmitter, they cost between $80 and $250 to replace... EACH! Finally, the chemicals in the "Fix a Flat" is typically explosive, the propellant used in the cans can be butane or propane and with the other chemicals inside the can, a single spark can turn unlucky mechanics into hamburger. If you do use a can of Fix a Flat, make sure your mechanic knows it's in the tire so he can take the proper precautions.

This message brought to you by your friendly neighborhood ASE Certified Automobile Technician.

http://www.bloodfin.net
Greenlit
posted 07-31-2007 05:11:03 PM
Where can I go for tires (for an 89 Nissan pickup) and not get raped on the price
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: