EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: 10,000 BC
Norim Stumpfighter
Milkmaid
posted 07-22-2007 11:26:01 PM
Anyone seen this trailer? The cinematics look pretty decent.
Mr. Parcelan
posted 07-22-2007 11:32:22 PM
It does look pretty interesting. I didn't see any girls in furry bikinis, though, so I don't know if it can top Raquel Welch.
Cherveny
Papaya
posted 07-23-2007 12:18:10 AM
Sheesh, is there any movie they aren't remaking these days....
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 07-23-2007 12:34:25 AM
quote:
Cherveny said:
Sheesh, is there any movie they aren't remaking these days....

It's fad-tastic.

All the original ideas in the world have been used up, sorry.

Maradon!
posted 07-23-2007 06:24:05 AM
quote:
Peanut butter ass Shaq Mortious booooze lime pole over bench lick:
All the original ideas in the world have been used up, sorry.

I'm hoping that you don't seriously believe this. The idea that there are a finite number of ideas is pretty silly, but I've run into some people who actually think that way.

Hollywood is hardly a representative cross section. As a habit, they dig through past hits and cult classics (Quest for Fire anyone?) to look for ideas that are fairly certain to make money before they invest their millions into production.

Ferret
Poing! Poing!
posted 07-23-2007 06:54:40 AM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about Reading Rainbow:
I'm hoping that you don't seriously believe this. The idea that there are a finite number of ideas is pretty silly, but I've run into some people who actually think that way.

People think it because it's less effort to use a blanket statement that makes what you're trying to do impossible than actually try hard enough to succeed.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 07-23-2007 07:35:29 AM
There ARE a limited number of plots. Depending on who you ask, there's somewhere between 7-30 plots. Likewise you can apply Joseph Campbell's "epic hero" line to any major heroic story that isn't actively attempting to avoid it.

The problem is that people hear those statements, and that's all they hear.

The truth is that while there may only be 7-30 plots (it gets hazy due to variants on a theme...boy meets girl, boy meets boy, boy meets girl but X, etc), you can layer them on in one story, you can use plots as subplots to the overriding metaplot of the movie, etc. So think of plots as the storytelling equivalent of simple tools (inclined plane wrapped around something forms a screw, etc).

The best part is...the "limited plots" argument doesn't even apply to originality of concept. That's a completely different beast. That's why you can have a dozen sword and magic concepts out there (literary or movie) that follow a similar plot, and some of them are huge hits, some of them are flops. And sometimes, just like with scientific discovery, just being there first with an idea isn't enough. You have to be there first AND get the recognition for it. Tolkien didn't conjure most of the concepts he used in Middle Earth out of thin air, they were borrowed heavily from European myth and legend, and if you look at the Silmarillion, Sauron might as well have been another name for Lucifer. But! Tolkien made it popular. He got the recognition for "creating" it. And well he should. He made it popular.

That's why it always cracks me up when I hear "X stole from Y". There are very few cases where it is a demonstrable theft of concept. In this day and age, if there was demonstrable theft of concept, there'd be lawsuits flying back and forth like gunfire.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 07-23-2007 07:41:13 AM
quote:
Maradon! said:
I'm hoping that you don't seriously believe this.

Sarcasm doesn't carry well over the internet.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 07-23-2007 10:08:22 AM
I wonder, though: where are Adam and Eve and their Jesus Horses?
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Steven Steve
posted 07-23-2007 10:30:15 AM
oh no
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: