EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Poll: Drunk and spinny. Now what?
Author
Topic: When you've got the spins...
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 07-19-2007 02:33:09 PM
This thread is for the drunks.

Ahh, the spins. You drank an insane amount of alcohol, and now it's time to crash in bed and sleep it off. "But no!" your equilibrium screeches. "You're not allowed to lie down! I'll do the only thing in my power: make you think that you're on the tilt-a-whirl every time you close your eyes!"

And thus, you descend into chunderous agony.

Now, the question becomes: how do you deal with this? You're in a nauseous state. Do you stagger off to the bathroom, vomit up whatever's left in your stomach, then plop back into bed to finally get some sleep? Or, do you fight with every fiber of your drunken being to keep your stomach's contents, even if it takes upwards of an hour for the spins to subside(or you just fall asleep, still spinning)?

Personally, I very rarely get this drunk anymore. But, from time to time, I have been known to overdo it. I acknowledge, also, that a hangover is inevitable the following day, if it's gotten this far. Therefore, I'm not worried about possibly tipping the scales by adding vomit to the mix. So, if I feel significantly nauseous, I scamper off to the bathroom and hurl. I don't even try to fight it for more than a few minutes. As I said, I'm gonna feel like shit tomorrow anyway; I might as well sleep now.

Karnaj fucked around with this message on 07-19-2007 at 02:33 PM.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Mr. Gainsborough
posted 07-19-2007 03:33:57 PM
Only had to throw up while I was still drunk once, and I did so.

Thanks, Waiszcon.

Callalron
Hires people with hooks
posted 07-19-2007 03:51:49 PM
Putting one foot on the floor has always worked for me. It gives you connection to good, ole terra firma, so your body knows you're really not going anywbere.

And just to satisfy my little pseudo-scientific project that I've had going over the years. Are you left- or right-handed? Do your spins go clockwise or counter-clockwise?

Callalron
"When mankind finally discovers the center of the universe, a lot of people are going to be upset that it isn't them."
"If you give a man a fish he'll eat for a day. If you teach a man to fish he'll just go out and buy an ugly hat. But if you talk to a starving man about fish, then you've become a consultant."--Dogbert
Arvek, 41 Bounty Hunter
Vrook Lamar server
Dr. Gee
Say it Loud, Say it Plowed!
posted 07-19-2007 04:51:16 PM
If your body's telling you that you've had so much to drink it's time to throw up, you probably should.
Maradon!
posted 07-19-2007 06:01:27 PM
This may sound weird, but having the spins has always kinda helped me sleep. Sorta like being rocked gently.
BeauChan
Objects in sigpic may be hammier than they appear
posted 07-19-2007 06:13:27 PM
I usually don't get the spins until the hangover the next day (or if I do have them before passing out, I don't remember them) but the once or twice I did have them before passing out, I upchucked and let it be done.

Probably because I hate every spinny ride in the world.

Endured by EC for over 7 years and counting...
Cherveny
Papaya
posted 07-19-2007 06:43:47 PM
a foot on the floor and a hand on the wall/bed-backboard/etc almost always used to work for me, when I used to get this drunk in college
Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 07-19-2007 10:21:20 PM
I usually fight it as long as I can, though I generally know when all my fighting will be for naught. At that point I just hurl and get it over with, but I hate throwing up, so I put it off forever. :/
Vorbis
Vend-A-Goat
posted 07-19-2007 11:22:49 PM
My tolerance has me at an awkward stage where I completely skip buzzed, tipsy, and drunk and go straight into faded.

So I can remember drinking an entire fifth of rum, but once I set that fifth down I'm out making a drunken ass of myself and not remembering anything the next morning.

The only way I can tell whether I hurled or not is by that nasty lump in my hungover throat.

Thank you, Catholic college!

Hayato
Pancake
posted 07-20-2007 12:35:09 AM
I've always managed to fall asleep when the spins hit. I guess, like Maradon, it's sort of like a gentle rocking feeling.
Faelynn LeAndris
Lusty busty redheaded wood elf with sharp claws
posted 07-20-2007 04:38:03 AM
Last time I got that drunk I ended up bed-hopping with my friends sister... I don't drink like that anymore.

Typically I braced myself and waited it out. As miserable as it was, throwing up was inevitably worse. As a consequence, I have thrown up twice in my entire life, and suffered an uncountable number of times when I was younger.

My LAUNCHCast Station
"Respect the Forest, Fear the Ranger"
I got lost for an hour and became god.
Mr. Parcelan
posted 07-20-2007 04:47:35 AM
I usually just vomit.

If I hold it back, I usually have digestive problems for weeks.

Alidane
Urinary Tract Infection
posted 07-20-2007 11:13:33 PM
I used to fight it, but it's really better to just get yourself into vomiting position and stay there until you start nodding off.

I end up falling asleep in the bathroom a lot, actually.

Monica
I've got an owie on my head :(
posted 07-20-2007 11:25:12 PM
quote:
Alidane had this to say about pies:
I used to fight it, but it's really better to just get yourself into vomiting position and stay there until you start nodding off.

I end up falling asleep in the bathroom a lot, actually.

I actually had a roommate who fell asleep with his forehead sitting on the edge of the toilet.

Alidane
Urinary Tract Infection
posted 07-21-2007 01:39:35 AM
quote:
Monica posted

I actually had a roommate who fell asleep with his forehead sitting on the edge of the toilet.

This position is surprisingly comfortable.

Mr. Gainsborough
posted 07-21-2007 01:51:56 AM
Why the fuck would you be proud of passing out in or in front of a toilet?
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 07-21-2007 01:52:51 AM
I'm way too cheap to drink that much at once
Alidane
Urinary Tract Infection
posted 07-21-2007 02:29:04 AM
quote:
Mr. Gainsborough posted

Why the fuck would you be proud of passing out in or in front of a toilet?

What gave you the idea that I was proud of it?

Mr. Gainsborough
posted 07-21-2007 02:30:35 AM
Saying you do it a lot and that it's comfortable seems to be flaunting it, I guess.
BeauChan
Objects in sigpic may be hammier than they appear
posted 07-21-2007 01:29:12 PM
ok, so I want to revise my answer. I had early-birthday-celebrations last night, and I drank more than ever (for the first time, I don't remember anything!!)

Seeing as how when I woke up this morning I had the spins, I threw up... AND I STILL HAVE THEM.

So, my answer is drink lots and lots of water, lie down and pass out.

Endured by EC for over 7 years and counting...
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 07-21-2007 09:01:55 PM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan Model 2000 was programmed to say:
I usually just vomit.

If I hold it back, I usually have digestive problems for weeks.

I usually give up interest in getting drunk halfway there. I seem to have, like my resistance to any other drug, a resistance to alcohol. Plus my body mass (even when I was younger and not so much of a tubby bitch) has always acted luck a sponge for alcohol. Add those facts to the third fact, that I have esophogeal acid reflux, and alcohol burns like a bitch if it dribbles back up into my throat mixed with stomach acid, and I don't work on getting drunk much.

That having been said, being the de facto sober guy in my friend groups has always lent me the opportunity to watch how others handle it. One friend, when I was sixteen, downed a full thing of Jagermeister and then followed it with half a bottle of vodka. In like an hour. And he weighed maybe a hundred-twenty, hundred-thirty pounds.

In addition to learning that you should never carry someone that fucked up in a fireman's carry (he ralphed down the back of my shirt and it dribbled into the back of my pants...you never ever want another man's vomit in your shorts, let me tell you), I learned all about alcohol poisoning that night. The carbon biscuits, the stomach pumping, etc.

Anyway, Parcelan's pretty much right. If you have the overriding urge to hurl, chances are you NEED to hurl. You've overloaded the system. Backed up the pipes. Even if you can physically tough it out and keep it down, that load of alcohol rampaging through your system can and will fuck with you later on, in most cases.

That having been said, the spins are like any other induced sense of disorientation...in most cases if you anchor yourself to something solid, you can generally override the instinct telling you you're whirling about.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Azakias
Never wore the pants, thus still wields the power of unused (_|_)
posted 07-21-2007 09:10:14 PM
I dont drink, but I think I have experienced the phenomona before.

Like you are lying in bed, and the world is slowly spinning, sometimes wobbly? I actually enjoy the sensation. But it normally happens when I am extremely tired, and by that point, anything in regards to lying down is pleasant.

"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
Ferret
Poing! Poing!
posted 07-22-2007 02:37:36 AM
quote:
Azakias stopped staring at Deedlit long enough to write:
I dont drink, but I think I have experienced the phenomona before.

Like you are lying in bed, and the world is slowly spinning, sometimes wobbly? I actually enjoy the sensation. But it normally happens when I am extremely tired, and by that point, anything in regards to lying down is pleasant.

Drunk version of this is a bit like this, except that your stomach is full of poison and bile, your vision has been stamped on with thick boots, and the world isn't as much 'slowly spinning' as it is following a roller coaster track to the 2nd level of hell.

Ferret fucked around with this message on 07-22-2007 at 02:39 AM.

Ferret
Poing! Poing!
posted 07-22-2007 02:37:58 AM
fucking buttons are too close.

Ferret fucked around with this message on 07-22-2007 at 02:38 AM.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: