EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: SW: The Force Unleashed - trailer
Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 07-13-2007 11:01:02 AM
Why is Vader's apprentice killing so many stormtroopers?
~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Mr. Gainsborough
posted 07-13-2007 11:20:21 AM
quote:
Nobody really understood why Tarquinn wrote:

They're expendable and someone needs force practice?

Blackened
posted 07-13-2007 11:52:56 AM
Because that Jedi is supposedly some very "I don't exist" type black ops. He kills whoever sees him, leaves no witnesses, etc.

Who cares though? As long as I get to toss shit around with vastly overpowered abilities, I'm fine with killing whatever I need to.

Although my distaste for you as a human being is brobdingnagian,
what I'm about to do isn't personal.
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 07-13-2007 11:57:16 AM
quote:
Blackened said:
Because that Jedi is supposedly some very "I don't exist" type black ops. He kills whoever sees him, leaves no witnesses, etc.

This is correct.

Vader is not supposed to take an apprentice, he's going behind the Emperor's back on this. No one can find out.

Timpofee
Mancake
posted 07-13-2007 11:59:29 AM
From what they said on the yahoo site..
It looks like there is a love interest and you are trying to get back to her/him.. but Vader is all like "nuh uh.. not in my house" and starts getting people to either try to capture or kill you because.. ya know.. you are not supposed to be seen by the emperor.

Plus the whole "use the force to pull down a star destroyer" is neato

Maradon!
posted 07-13-2007 05:17:55 PM
Looks pretty standard imo.
Elvish Crack Piper
Murder is justified so long as people believe in something different than you do
posted 07-13-2007 09:20:04 PM
Looks more like God of Starwars than Jedi Knight.

Sweet.

(Insert Funny Phrase Here)
Kaiote
Shot in the Face
posted 07-13-2007 10:12:22 PM
So to mask his presence... he yanks a star destroyer into a city....

Wouldn't that be kinda like.. X marks the bad guy?

Henry had been killed by a garden gnome.He had fallen off the roof onto that cheerful-looking figure. The gnome was made of concrete. Henry wasn't. - Dean Koontz, Velocity
Mr. Gainsborough
posted 07-13-2007 10:18:14 PM
Someone using the force could be hiding somewhere and using it. It's not like there's any big tracing thing they could use.

Well there might be, shit I don't know Star Wars tech that well. Deth?

Steven Steve
posted 07-13-2007 11:11:04 PM
No he means, if you are trying to hide, why would you pull a ship full of thousands of soldiers in your direction
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 07-13-2007 11:16:41 PM
quote:
Stalwart Steve Model 2000 was programmed to say:
No he means, if you are trying to hide, why would you pull a ship full of thousands of soldiers in your direction

Easy! If they are all dead, they can't see you!

Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Pouncer of the 12th degree!
"Cxularath ftombn gonoragh pv'iornw hqxoxon targh!"
Translated: "Sell your soul for a cookie?"
Mr. Gainsborough
posted 07-13-2007 11:27:24 PM
quote:
This one time, at Stalwart Steve camp:

I didn't watch the trailer, I didn't know he was pulling it in his direction, hah.

Callalron
Hires people with hooks
posted 07-14-2007 01:28:21 AM
quote:
This one time, at Tarquinn camp:

My guess is they were about to vest in the pension plan.

Callalron
"When mankind finally discovers the center of the universe, a lot of people are going to be upset that it isn't them."
"If you give a man a fish he'll eat for a day. If you teach a man to fish he'll just go out and buy an ugly hat. But if you talk to a starving man about fish, then you've become a consultant."--Dogbert
Arvek, 41 Bounty Hunter
Vrook Lamar server
Elvish Crack Piper
Murder is justified so long as people believe in something different than you do
posted 07-14-2007 05:48:25 AM
Its not like the Palpatine could exactly miss a giant force presence doing it either.
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 07-14-2007 07:02:08 AM
quote:
Elvish Crack Piper said:
Its not like the Palpatine could exactly miss a giant force presence doing it either.

Vader is stronger in the Force than Palpatine, that's why Palpy keeps him whipped. And Palp taught Vader how to hide in the force, like he did during Episodes 1 through 3. Pretty simple to deduce from that how Vader keeps his secret apprentice hidden.

quote:
Elvish Crack Piper said:
Looks more like God of Starwars than Jedi Knight.

Jedi Masters have always been able to do awesome stuff like this when the Force is strong around them. You don't see it in Jedi Knight games though due to programming limitations with that engine. In the Clone Wars cartoons Yoda causes two droid landing ships (massive things) to smash together and crash. The one and only reason the Jedi fell so easily in Episode 3 is because they were taken completely by suprise, at any other time they're almost unkillable.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 07-14-2007 08:41:40 AM
quote:
A sleep deprived Mr. Gainsborough stammered:
Well there might be, shit I don't know Star Wars tech that well. Deth?

To my knowledge there is no Star Wars "Cerebro" equivalent that's able to pick out all the Force users in a given area. That having been said...

Force users are generally able to sense the existence of Force potential in others. Particularly potent Force users, or those merely particularly sensitive, are generally better at getting a feel for what's going on in terms of numbers, potency, activity/latency, and so forth. So say you take a Yoda or a Palpatine or hell, a Luke or Anakin. They may be able to get a feel for how many Force users there are in a given area, but the reliability and quality of it would depend greatly on how much physical space they were attempting to cover, how spread thin the searcher's own Force abilities were, the level of ability of the people being looked for, and whether the people being looked for were in some sense actively (using a Force power) or passively (hiding in a massive metropolis) attempting to obscure their trail. Add to that the fact the Force tends to override what you're looking for with what you need (at least it does from a storytelling standpoint, with it's "fate" and "destiny" threads) and the accuracy of sensitives drops even further.

The efficacy of Force Users acting as Hounds for other Force Users also has certain ups and downs of it's own. Entities like the Darth Nihilus in KOTOR2 would seem to suggest that some Force users are better at stalking other Force users than your general run of the mill Sith or Jedi, but that might just be a matter of motivation/need or obsession.

Likewise, don't overstate the power of the Jedi. By the end of the Republic in the prequels, the Jedi had been reduced in number from thousands of active Knights to maybe a hundred or so (not including the Agri-Corps, etc). This was partly due to machinations by the hidden Sith working on long-term goals (Palpatine in particular engineered a war to simultaneously give himself massive political power at the same time he was wiping out the competition and eliminating a threat to his position), but was at LEAST as likely because of attrition and increasingly invasive and ascetic practices amongst the Jedi themselves (for instance, the insistence that Jedi not have families, the logical love fallacy, etc), and their general apparent tendency toward moving in more political circles. So short-handed, bound up by their own silly rules, and actively being decimated, they couldn't exactly dedicate resources to keeping a Sith Inquisition going.

Likewise, Palpatine was in a bit of a bind himself. His power was predicated on the idea that he could afford a massive outlay of resource and effort to wipe out his main long-term enemy (the Jedi), and then control what was left of the Force Sensitive populace. Unfortunately, Palpatine's methodology pretty much dictated constant distrust and scheming amongst the subordinates, as well as an ongoing disinformation campaign. So he couldn't afford to train massive number of Force Hounds, on the off chance they may become too powerful and present a threat. He also couldn't have too many Force-users out there, especially lightsaber-carrying members of the club, because Palpatine had by and large tried to convince the public that the Force wasn't real. Ironically, he ended up with the same problems suffered by the Jedi.

So it's entirely likely that it's not THAT hard to conceal a Force User's existence. There's just not much infrastructure in place to maintain an ongoing search for them. It's far easier to wait for them to do something stupid, THEN track them down. In fact, in a situation like Force Unleashed, Vader's the one carrying most of the risk...Plenty of ways for his apprentice to conceal himself, but Palpatine had made Vader his bitch and was likely pretty good at knowing when Vader was hiding things. But even then Palpatine's (not without merit) arrogance over his ability to control Vader would have kept him from worrying too much. And again...there's a limit to how hard Palpatine could squeeze Vader. He couldn't treat Vader the way he treated Maul or Tyrannus, not once Vader had started down the path of the Dark Side. Vader was simply too powerful. So not only did Palpatine have the other problems, he had to juggle Vader carefully.

Now. ALL OF THAT HAVING BEEN SAID...isn't it entirely possible that homeboy jiggling and reeling in an Imperial Star Destroyer (which I was under the impression couldn't venture that deep into a planet's atmosphere to begin with; atmospheric landings were almost exclusively a trait of the carrier ships from the Clone Wars in regard to Star Destroyers) was just to show off just how badass the potential in this game was, rather than representing an actual scene from the game?

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Greenlit
posted 07-14-2007 09:00:17 AM
Victory class Star Destroyers are capable of atmospheric travel and surface landings, but that does not appear to be a Victory class SD. Looks standard Imperial.
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 07-14-2007 09:13:35 AM
The little ball tower shield generator thingies looked like the standard Imperial. I wasn't aware the Victories could land, though. I thought it was a kinda-sorta situation. Like they could land in the water and be a sitting duck or something.
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty

Greenlit
posted 07-14-2007 09:24:25 AM
Victory SDs have some sort of little wing-like protrusion off either side of the main hull, you'd clearly be able to see them in this case.
Naimah
In a Fire
posted 07-14-2007 10:18:42 AM
quote:
How.... Greenlit.... uughhhhhh:
Victory class Star Destroyers are capable of atmospheric travel and surface landings, but that does not appear to be a Victory class SD. Looks standard Imperial.

You're a colossal nerd.

Greenlit
posted 07-14-2007 10:38:28 AM
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 07-14-2007 10:53:47 AM
Deth.. why did you type that out? I answered it in a much more compact way above you.

Imperial Star Destroyers are capable of atmospheric flight, but they can only land in specially constructed docks. They use up a lot of power hanging in the air however and only do it when no spacedock is available. They rarely have the need to enter atmospheres however.

All ships that are equipped with repulsorlift technology (read: most if not all of them) are capable of atmospheric flight. Even Super Star Destroyers can (and have).

Skaw
posted 07-14-2007 12:18:49 PM
Elvish Crack Piper
posted 07-14-2007 03:15:53 PM
quote:
Mortious had this to say about (_|_):
Jedi Masters have always been able to do awesome stuff like this when the Force is strong around them. You don't see it in Jedi Knight games though due to programming limitations with that engine. In the Clone Wars cartoons Yoda causes two droid landing ships (massive things) to smash together and crash. The one and only reason the Jedi fell so easily in Episode 3 is because they were taken completely by suprise, at any other time they're almost unkillable.

I gotcha, I'm reminded of the Young Jedi Knights book where the "Clone # Something "channels a bunch of peoples for powers through himself to actually force push a ship/fleet to another star system.

It still seems... over the top to shove something like this into the story and have no one notice. I doubt anyone would be doubting the ability of force users if there were incidents of ships being crashed as such.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 07-14-2007 03:31:05 PM
I have no idea what that's from, Skaw.
Elvish Crack Piper
posted 07-14-2007 05:02:24 PM
Revenge of the nerds right?
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 07-14-2007 05:04:19 PM
Is Skaw calling us nerds?

That's like me calling someone a pervert.

Steven Steve
posted 07-14-2007 06:34:24 PM
Or me calling someone a child rapist
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 07-14-2007 08:32:16 PM
quote:
Mortious's account was hax0red to write:
Deth.. why did you type that out? I answered it in a much more compact way above you.

It's...it's what I do...

Elvish Crack Piper
posted 07-14-2007 09:48:36 PM
Trademark Deth Essay thrown into a trashcan full of acid.
Malbi
posted 07-14-2007 10:21:34 PM
quote:
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael had this to say about Jimmy Carter:
It's...it's what I do...

I liked Deth's explanation better.

I Didnt ask to be Secretary of Balloon Doggies, the Balloon Doggies demanded it!
Mr. Parcelan
posted 07-14-2007 10:58:35 PM
quote:
Malbi Model 2000 was programmed to say:
I liked Deth's explanation better.

You're also a disgusting rapist and sex offender with no redeeming value beyond the fact that you may someday die.

Dethessays are no longer impressive. So sorry.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 07-15-2007 08:12:24 AM
quote:
Verily, Mr. Parcelan doth proclaim:
You're also a disgusting rapist and sex offender with no redeeming value beyond the fact that you may someday die.

Dethessays are no longer impressive. So sorry.

BUT THEY'RE ALL I HAVE! GAME OVER, MAN! GAME OVER!

Kaglaaz How'ler
Pancake
posted 07-15-2007 07:06:58 PM
quote:
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael had this to say about Optimus Prime:

It's okay Deth... some of us still appreciate a good Deth Essay.

http://www.bloodfin.net
Mr. Parcelan
posted 07-15-2007 07:25:35 PM
quote:
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael had this to say about Optimus Prime:

You could try just being your fairly laid-back and knowledgable self.

i dunno man

Steven Steve
posted 07-16-2007 07:23:51 AM
"This would be a really good time for your trademark stoicism." - Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 07-16-2007 07:37:38 AM
I did crank out multiple essays in one day. I suppose I did perhaps oversaturate the marketplace.

Kaiote
Shot in the Face
posted 07-16-2007 08:35:25 PM
So.. hrm..

An apprentice.. hid his force use.. from everybody.. while he yanked a star destroyer into the planet.. And also managed to use the force, to hide the lives of all those on board, and in the city, being snuffed out.

Stormtrooper 1. "Hey Jim, what the fuck?"
Stormtrooper 2. "I dunno, Earl, lets ask Palpatine."

Palpatine. "Ellifino, but there is a distinct LACK of force use."
Vader. "Yessss, Master" *tries to look innocent*
Palpatine. "It's like.. Theres a huge, yet insubstantial thing stopping me from assuming the force was used here."

Vader. "I suggest a factory recall on Star Destroyers, Master."

I mean really. Obiwan sensed the destruction of Alderaan from the Falcon. Vader sensed Obiwan just BEING on the death star. Vader later sensed the tiny rebel patrol flying through the amassed fleet at Endor. The latter two examples involved Jedi TRYING to hide themselves..

And you think Palpatine wouldn't notice the force being used to not only pull star destoryer into the ground, but also the huge amount of lives lost? I think it would go more like this.

Stormtrooper 1. "Hey Jim.. WTF?
Stormtrooper 2. "That was some Jedi shit right there."
Vader. "Your services will no longer be required." *FORCECHOKE, BITCH*
Palpatine. "QUIET DOWN.. Matlock's on, goddamit."

Henry had been killed by a garden gnome.He had fallen off the roof onto that cheerful-looking figure. The gnome was made of concrete. Henry wasn't. - Dean Koontz, Velocity
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 07-16-2007 08:56:32 PM
You're looking too far into it, Kiote. Palpatine doesn't give a flying fuck if a single Star Destroyer goes down. Could be engine trouble. He. Doesn't. Bloody. Care. He's got an Empire to run.

Vader is just hiding the apprentice, not his actions.

Greenlit
posted 07-16-2007 09:59:33 PM
quote:
Mortious obviously shouldn't have said:
You're looking too far into it, Kiote. Palpatine doesn't give a flying fuck if a single Star Destroyer goes down. Could be engine trouble. He. Doesn't. Bloody. Care. He's got an Empire to run.

He'd probably never hear of it, anyway.

Would you want to be the Admiral to have to report (to anyone, not just Palpatine) that one of your Star Destroyers just fell out of the fucking sky?

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: